Song of Swords: This isn't my job, get someone better next time

Last time on Song of Swords:
Ancient skull returns after two years locked in a cupboard, bemoans lack of biscuits
Jimmy visits reddit, calls 3d space a cheat
Kesh harvests
15000 Stretch goal met. Dreams may not be just dreams

The KS link & Opaque's website
kickstarter.com/projects/2006613790/song-of-swords-tabletop-roleplaying-game
songofswords.net/

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games. Kickstarter is happening NOW we are kicking ass baby!

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials.
Note that the latest version of the game is v1.9.9 but with additional supplements. It's NOT what's currently on Opaque's website, because Jimmy is Jimmy.
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

We also have a Discord now, at discord.gg/zzTq7Xw
Come join us if you wanna ask a question or have a friendly fecht, or shitpost at Jimmy in real-time

>There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
>The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

AND THE LEGEND CONTINUES

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgkickstarters.tumblr.com/
rpgkickstarters.tumblr.com/contact
reddit.com/r/wma/
enworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?10-Publishers-Promotions-Press-Releases-amp-Kickstarter-Announcements
reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/5uvnqi/song_of_swords_a_successor_to_the_riddle_of_steel/
therpgsite.com/showthread.php?36131-Kickstarter-Song-of-Swords
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?798442-Song-of-Swords
forums.spacebattles.com/threads/song-of-swords-rpg-now-on-kickstarter.494800/
reddit.com/r/kickstarter/comments/5ucnwi/song_of_swords_a_tabletop_rpg_to_reinvent_combat/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I forgot about friday

What?

I missed the extra Visionary Noble+.

You may be in luck, as I have one of the noble + slots and I've been thinking of using my slot for all of us gents to collectively build a place or character but I've been having trouble figuring out how to set the parameters and if anyone would like the idea.

I'm in as long as there's angry peasants.

Could just do the standard bounce-ideas-off-anons thing.

Yeah most certainly, possibly just bounce ideas off and maybe collect 10 or so finalists, run some fechts and whoever survives is our champion.

I don't really know but maybe when the thread gets busy again people can shoot some interest this way and a smarter user can get some polls going.

Still plenty of details to beat out but I think its a neat idea.

Didn't realise we were on a new thread.

I'm sure we can beat at least one of these numbers.

I dunno man, Furries are both rich and devoted. While we'll only get people with actual interest furries back things just because it has animal people in the art

Maybe it's just that Sanguine's punters are cheapskates, then, because the two of their KS's that I've backed only come out to 383 backers and $24,874 when added together, and I'm sure that there's significant overlap between the two.

Sanguine are the company behind Ironclaw, for reference. I'm sure Opaque will do better than them, though!

Ironclaw's got massive brand recognition. It's famous as "that furry game that's actually pretty decent".

Which is why it's kind of surprising that that HSD supplement managed to get significantly more than the latest Ironclaw one. Though I suppose it doesn't help that Sanguine tend to be late on their KS's.

How does SoS compare to Riddle of Steel or Blade of the Iron Throne? Is it faster to run combat for?

From the rebbit thread in a post about the Marju:

> Your blood runs beneath its surface in great rivers

Would I be wrong for thinking this isn't metaphorical

Steal initiative works mainly on people wearing great helms and the like, right?

Are you suggesting a tournament?

Do the Marju worship Sartur?

It's the Tattered Realms, who the fuck knows.

Furries aren't rich. They're total white trash.

Well SoS SHOULD have massive brand recognition, if only Jimmy and the gang had actually shilled and promoted the game over the past few years instead of just hanging out with us and making a whole new set of social media then abandoning it every six months.

desu they do have decent brand recognition on Veeky Forums. You can find people who know about it on other boards.

>on Veeky Forums.
That's like saying 'decent brand recognition in Botswana' for all it means to the greater online RPG community.

You'd be surprised. Because I am a masochist I go on Reddit, and there's a fair amount of cross-Veeky Forums culture. The outlook is vastly different but the information's shared.

Also, we did get past the goal.

>we did get past the goal.
That's because our 134 backers are rich.

Yeah so we're decent enough on our own. Not the god-men Jimmy seems to think we are, but decent.

Also according to google's captcha an Aztec temple is now an apartment building.

The point is that we could have a lot more than 134 backers if Jimmy and co. had gone about shilling these past few months.

I don't disagree. This game has obscene potential (compared to our current situation).

Faster than Riddle of Steel, yes. Never really gave BotIT a fair shot, to be honest. Too many flaws that were immediately obvious just from reading the book.

>we did pass the goal
The goal of twelve e grand. We're an order of magnitude - at least one - away from where a game like this should be, and where it would be if Jimmy had actually promoted the thing on multiple sites before now.

Legit thought that was Lady Liberty from the thumbnail.

Can it do magic or anything a bit more swords and sorcery or 'heroic'? I mean bare chested Conan types fightkng competently and not getting skewered on sight.

There's meant to be a magic compendium coming out with the KS.

Sweet, can't wait then!

Lu Bu fecht when?

Conan wore armor when he could afford it.

When you run it.

But Jimbo's supposed to run it I think.

>or anything a bit more swords and sorcery or 'heroic'?
You CAN do it, but you probably shouldn't. It's not really built for it, even if it takes notes from Berserk.

I don't recall Jimmy saying a damn thing about running a Lu Bu fecht.

You must be new then.

It isn't made out of the box for completely naked barbarians. It's always better to wear armor, which as said he usually did in the original stories. Fighting against multiple opponents will get you killed, usually.

There are a few ways you can make it work. The first is to ignore all infection rules. That shit ain't heroic. The next is to designate some enemies as mooks that die or are out of the fight after any level wound. They'll still be dangerous, but you can go through them quickly with stuff like Cleaving Blow. Then, make your characters have a higher starting PCP (creation points) at default. You'll have competent, powerful characters that can cut through a number of faceless goons.

Jimmy!

These guys literally direct people to new rpg kickstarters!

rpgkickstarters.tumblr.com/

How would you stat the Cainhurst armor from Bloodborne? Is this armor in any way realistic or similar to historical armor?

A lot of it's covered, but what we can see is pretty typical late medieval plate.

desu historical armour included a lot of fucking stupid shit which nonetheless looked cool.

It's not normal solid plate. They're like segmented or something.

Yeah, it's doable. I'd guess it's not optimal, judging by the way it sits on your body. IRL people mostly used actual plates which were formed to look like clothing, instead.

A similar system can be found in brigandines/coats of plates, but those sit more fully on the body.

And the 15 for extra decks.

If Jimmy can work his ass off shilling and keep the momentum going, I think this can hit 30-40k.

How do I sell SoS to people without making it sound crunchy? Many people I know are turned of by crunch.

Emphasize the narrative aspect. Emphasize the fast play

Don't say "it's got a lot of rules." Just tell them combat is slightly more involved than D&D and it's better for it and extol the virtues that align with your friends.

Wait, is that mantle metal? I thought it was leather in the previous picture. I guess it's basically gothic lamellar then.

Push the two action attack/defence back and forth.

Look at the donations per day, the momentum is already dead.

That looks like a solid breastplate with some thin metal segments hanging off as a cape.

It's hard to find hi res pics of it.

>rpgkickstarters.tumblr.com/
Damn, someone throw them SoS. Jimmy or not.

rpgkickstarters.tumblr.com/contact

It should be Jimmy, so that the page doesn't get half a dozen submissions.

He seems dead set against promoting his own game, though, so if he doesn't do it in 6 hours someone else should send it in.

>If you are running an RPG-related Kickstarter project, feel free to tell us about it by using the "SUBMIT" link, below. You'll be asked for a title, the link to your Kickstarter page, and a paragraph of information. We'll approve it once we check it's not spam, off-topic, or a complete mess

I think this makes it sound like they want the creators specifically to get in touch.

Jimmy, when you do this MAKE SURE TO GIVE THEM ART. Looking at their tumblr the ones that catch the eye are the ones with some art, but don't use character art. Give them a stylised title or something.

>in 6 hours
He was up until 3 last night and may have day job or family or something today.

Yes actually, I figure its the only fair way for us to pick results.

We would just need some combatants.

>GIVE THEM
It sounds like you just make a full-on tumblr post through the submit UI, so he'd write his own thing with his own choice of art embedded. It should probably be the battle scene used to head the kickstarter, though.

You mean the cover, with Gizka, Moonfucker, and Toehead in the midst of a group fight? That's got the title on it and everything.

>There is a non-zero chance of canonising a mad old noble trying to figure out how the weird bronze sickle from Izagone works

What? I was trying to stress the importance of art. I don't have any appropriate pictures to upload on that front so to the caps-lock it went. Without art, it'll probably just get ignored. I know I would anyway. There's so much vying for attention when looking through there first impressions are usually the only impression.

This can be the next truly great tournament. Everyone makes a character with regulated PCP for tournament purposes, not necessarily reflecting their actual abilities, and we all battle it out.

Is the guy who ran the first two tournaments still around?

Can I compete just to compete?

Jimmy only needs to maintain an average daily pledge of $340 from tomorrow onwards to get the last stretch goal.

$340 * 27 = 9450 + 15887 = 25067

We're on it.

Where are your other shill targets? A dedicated Q&A or something on RPG.net, other forums, youtube guys, whatever.

Also, do you have plans to have a forum on your website?

Yes, I mean exactly that. It's perfect for this, because it was made to be perfect for this.

I don't think they have targets. It's been the better part of a week and so far the entirety of their marketing has been "make a thread on reddit". Which, to be fair, helped a little bit. But reddit is not the only site in the world, there's so much that they're ignoring. And a lot of this should be done sooner rather than later. Like, do they not know that forums are slow?

reddit.com/r/wma/

This subreddit talks about For Honor so you could advertise SoS there

At least it means I have extra time to decide whether to back it or not before the gamemaster+ tier runs out.

"Some items approved on this site may also appear automatically in EN World's news. Not all of them, though - there are simply too many!"

Aw shit nigga.

He helm reminds me of gunpowder era parade/ceremonial armor.

If nothing else, we need a party line on "what's the difference between this and Blade of the Iron Throne".

>nothing posted in three months
Hmm

That's another place. Even if it isn't up on the News part, they can make a thread on whatever their announcement forum is.

Oh, if only the disease were contained to that sliver of the white race destined for purge.

They haven't even posted on most forums. They're ignoring all of the most populated ones. That's the most frustrating part.

>prepare to remake the chinese homebrew weapons
>find even more ridicilious kung-fu weapons
Why did communists have to ruin china?

>They haven't even posted on most forums.
Showing my ignorance here, where should they be targeting?

EN World up above, an actual thread on RPG.net rather than the ignored subforum for shilling, Giants in the Playground, theRPGsite, and whatever other subreddits are out there.

Some of those have threads already, but they're all just Some Guy. Nothing official, and never in any actual place that would draw traffic or interest. No reason to back, or content. At best, Claymore pops in and says, "Hey guys thanks for existing". Jimmy is the community guy, isn't he? He should be on these sites doing Q&As and answering questions and putting lore out and giving people a reason to actually fucking care. Bovine had more of a web presence than Opaque does. Not good presence because they're idiots, but presence.

That'll be here:
enworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?10-Publishers-Promotions-Press-Releases-amp-Kickstarter-Announcements
You need three posts to put links on their forums though.

GiantITP comes to mind as another place that would be good to target, though I don't know what subforum. But even the places where we have threads, like rpg.net, they're not threads with Jimmy and the gang, they're threads someone else made, and then later claymore posted (poorly) on a one-post account like that's somehow going to help. Jimmy himself has posted literally nowhere but here and reddit because he's a coward who fears nonymity so much that he'll go "this is good enough" with what little he's got so far instead of actually promoting the shit he's spend half a decade on.

Here's a master marketing list:

Literally the only properly utilized thread:
>reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/5uvnqi/song_of_swords_a_successor_to_the_riddle_of_steel/

Existing threads made by random fags:
>therpgsite.com/showthread.php?36131-Kickstarter-Song-of-Swords
>forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?798442-Song-of-Swords
>forums.spacebattles.com/threads/song-of-swords-rpg-now-on-kickstarter.494800/
>reddit.com/r/kickstarter/comments/5ucnwi/song_of_swords_a_tabletop_rpg_to_reinvent_combat/

Places there should be a proper official Jimmy-made thread:
>ENworld
>giantITP
>RPG.net
>theRPGsite

More suggestions for that last category are probably advisable.

I'd put reddit.com/r/wma/ on the last list too. Maybe it's not a perfect fit but it's related, and the worst they can do is not back it.

Jimmy should also probably post in the Spacebattles thread while he's at it. It actually got some interest but would get more with one of his lore dumps.

I vote we do daily threads, rotate forums, and have jimmy to do Q&As there.

>It actually got some interest
It's fallen from the front page already.

>rotate forums
Only Veeky Forums and reddit are that fast. For the others, he should go to the forum each day and make one post, answering questions and dropping some relevant lore. But first he needs to make the threads, which for some reason is a major fucking hurdle for Jimmy. It's not fucking rocket science, you know?

Problem is, Jimmy's been on Veeky Forums too long. He thinks that if he makes a thread as himself, the dev, people will call him a shill and hate him. He's paralyzed with fear of failure and so he does nothing and accepts failure as the default.

Though he's not a typical Californian in many other ways, Jimmy's critical failing is still, in the end, an utter lack of balls.

Did Jimmy hide the Kickstarter from Galt because he was afraid Galt would make him do actual work to get it funded?

He should probably update the fucking Kickstarter itself too.

Oh come on man I went onto the Reddit, that was a big step out from under the missile umbrella for me. We're going to start getting active on other forums I promise. Cross my heart and hope to die.

Right, because they can't afford to buy elaborate custom-made suits or flying halfway across the country every three months to go to raves and/or sex orgies.