/CofD/ &/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous Thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A
>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/cough-back-in-hack-the-saddle-cough-cough-again-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question
How do Hunters deal with Lunacy/delirium?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/mage-the-awakening/929259-upcoming-2e-legacies?p=929344#post929344
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

FIRST FOR MAGE SUPREMACY

I'm trying to figure out what resonance this NPC would have about himself/his magic. If its not clear he uses a portal generator and the lightning calculator merit to murder local politicians.
I'm still trying to get a grasp on the resonance system in general so any advice there is also appreciated.

RED TALON PRIDE
GAIA WIDE
PREPARE THE GENOCIDE

WEREFAGS GET OUT

YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE

Already marked you babe

With my piss

>How do Hunters deal with Lunacy/delirium?

There's like an entire chapter on the subject in the Hunter book on spirits.

Okay, how about making Unmaking Spells deal aggravated damage instead of destroying the target outright? That'll make a nice progression: 3 dots for bashing, 4 dots for lethal, 5 dots for aggravated and will prevent all Masters taking Praxis Unmaking Spell for killing everything outright.

Most people are picking legacies that give them mana free access to their favorite arcanum outside of their tower's arcanum right? RIGHT?

Who wouldn't want a third Ruling Arcanum?

You can already do that with unraveling magic with +1 Reach and a Mana.

Your "solution" doesn't solve the scariest aspect of awakened magic. Spell factors. You can deal deal aggravated damage, to everybody in a building with one spell.

Facing a Master is supposed to be a terrifying proposition.

>Not maxing out Time/Gnosis first

what are you lads doing

What!? Aren't you tempted by double Ruling? You can get up to three Experiences for that.

I know it's a stupid question,but how many flaws can a character have?Can they have unlimited flaws as long as they gain 7 points from them?

That's going to make some lazy mages.

They just gave every mage a better version of that generic attack your pattern spell?

Mages should be killing each other with mind bending displays of their arcana, not an attack roll vs success.

1e user is disappoint.

Welcome to Awakening 2E

Where Masters just don't give a fuck

What is a good way to use the Daksha in a Mage group? They sound way too... odd to include without accusations of being a "that guy" or entering magical realm territory.

>You can already do that with unraveling magic with +1 Reach and a Mana.
That's the point.

>Your "solution" doesn't solve the scariest aspect of awakened magic. Spell factors. You can deal deal aggravated damage, to everybody in a building with one spell.
At Arcana 5 you are going to need a lot of Reach for that.

>Facing a Master is supposed to be a terrifying proposition.
It still going to be. Master is going to inflict 4 aggravated damage at turn, instantly, without any preparation. Push that up a little bit, and you still going to turn most of things into ashes.

What's your favorite Path and Third ruling arcana? What's the synergy?

Now I understand the bitterness old mages have for new.
Muh themes.

A master can virtually ensure an exceptional success with any spell in the arcana they've mastered. Overreaching becomes less of an issue as your Gnosis grows and you can just throw mana at all your problems.

>At Arcana 5 you are going to need a lot of Reach for that

Not really. No, not really.

The imago can be anything you want the crunch is still "target motherfucker dies".

Acanthus and Prime

To illustrate; you'll be needing a total of 3; one for making it affect line of sight, one for instant casting and one for Advanced Scale.

Okay, but that exceptional success isn't going to be "you die, no save" thing.

Thyrsus and Fate. I go around making pacts with a bunch of spirits and summon them when I need their help.

A PC who bailed when things got too weird? It will always be creepy otherwise. Can your players handle eugenics? Soft eugenics would work better, but it's still creepy.

>What's your favorite Path
They all are boring shit.

*Tremere approved*

>3 Reach

Not an issue from my experience.

Yifftacular

And an additional reach for aggravated damage. You could save a reach by using a 'warding gesture' spell walk into the middle of the building and cast the spell around yourself.

Mine neither; I was arguing in favour of Masters as they are currently. 3 Reach is easy for any halfway competent Master.

Well I don't think any of one would want to join the Daksha. But there is a sizable Indian population in the city and I figure that as the legacy is from there mages would bring it over to America.

This complete obliteration single target won't cause as much collateral damage as I'd like. It's a cool spell for a Time mage because it's going back in time and deleting someone as a baby or seducing his mom before his dad.

Each mages I delete you spell should have themes and do a slightly different effect imo. I know about imagos it doesn't add collateral damage.

Like in Ascension you could make a satellite that focuses the suns rays and Matter mages can make self replicating nano bots that devour their target on the atomic level.

Some magics are better for single target assassination and others for crowds. And that theme should be preserved among the arcanum.

No but it'll be able to refund all mana spent on the spell. Which is amazing especially with reach effects and mitigating paradox.

woops

Most everyone is going to disagree with your assessment, user.

>Somebody didn't get his favorite schools paired together.

Well, Daksha specialize in the following:
Studying Atlantean remains. Their attainments allow Postcognition and Divination. They can be crystal-waving academics.
Eugenics. They'd be messing with fertility clinics, encourage family planning, creating breeding cults or going all supervillain and putting sterilising drugs in the water supply.

Unmaking isn't used predominantly as Avada Kedavra killing spells. There are other, more pragmatic usages.

Hahahaha, no.

The Daksha were actually formed in 1891 by a young Obrimos named Kurt Eisler from Germany, who was fascinated with Western Interpretations of Hinduism, and returned with some crock-of-shit story about an Atlantean Archmage who predicted the future rise of Atlantis, and could see the cyclical nature of human evolution, and who grants the Daksha the bodies that exist at the pinacle of it.

That German dude then took 7 British, German or American Mystagogues, and travelled to India where they formed the ashram in Madas, taking the role of the Dhyanis, the Archmaster leaders of the Order (who haven't been seen in in 79 years, since before WW2).

So really, while they might play up their mystical heritage, the Daksha were formed by some German guy misunderstanding Hinduism (or finding the truth behind it, if you ask the Daksha), and gathering a bunch of other Europeans to form a Legacy with him.

What do you do with Prime? Are you making steven universe shields?

What sort of spirits do you make pacts with, what can they do for you. Does your ST let you pick specific ones?

addendum.
Also, in 2ed they belong to Mysterium and Guardians. They can reclaim Mysteries from Sleepers while being UNBELIEVABLY smug about it.

If you had to fit all the OWOD cosmologies and backstories together, how would you do it?

The Daksha don't "belong" to anyone.
They are staunch Mystagogues, but members of their Legacy join, or can be found in all other Diamond Orders.

It's important to actually read the sections on the Legacy user, rather than just listening to Veeky Forums's Echo Chamber.

>weasel words
Those left behind by 2e haven't been consulted.

I'm not saying remove it or do that aggravating damage fiasco I'm saying everyone having the same type of spell is lazy and goes against what makes Mage so fun.

To be fair, after so many years they might have spread over more of India. Especially since they "adopt" Awakened children. That's why I chose not to nitpick, but yours is really good.

One cosmology is right, everything else is a bunch of made-up shit.

By killing myself first.

>rather than just listening to Veeky Forums's Echo Chamber
Eh, DaveB himself said it on the OP forums. Daksha are Mysterium and Guardians Legacy.

> 1 german and 7 whites in India
Still sounds like an Indian Legacy even if the founders weren't. I mean they're still around, means that the native Indian mages had to join and help the legacy grow.

Okay, so how can one Master protect himself against other Master's Praxis Unmaking spell? Or this is mexican stand-off and first one to fire wins?

My source:
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/mage-the-awakening/929259-upcoming-2e-legacies?p=929344#post929344

Magistos and Prime.

Huh, okay. Well they can still join from other Orders, it's just less easy.

There's no indication of that, user.
Just because a Legacy sets up shop in one country doesn't mean they can only recruit people from that country.
Furthermore, they were all white, so odds are they would likely try to draw people from their own countries to them, as well as recruiting locals.
The Daksha are not an "Indian" legacy, such a claim would be derided and sneered at even by the Daksha themselves.

I mean, they backed the Nazis in WW2 because of their shared beliefs in racial superiority and human evolution. Pretty difficult to do that if they only spent time in India.

>Huh, okay. Well they can still join from other Orders, it's just less easy.
Yup. Never said they couldn't, it's just that saying they're this and that is shorter than saying they're this and that but also anything else, but less often.

You could cut through all the trouble and just introduce Thread Cutters.

Heh, get it? Cut?

Isn't the sample character a young Indian mage and not a white holdover from British colonization?

>What do with prime

Anti-magic zones, syphon other people's mana and keep it in an extra mana pool for shits and giggles. You literally do magic that controls magic. Artifact is becoming a huge problem, draw all its energy out, problem solved. Don't wanna have to deal with that particular cult who has been chasing you and hurling lightning at your ass, null magic zone. Time 5/ Prime 5 unmake a mage completely having them be awakened but unable to ever cast a spell.

Given 125 years of operation as a Legacy, I would certainly assume that the Legacy includes Indian Mages, however to label it an "Indian" Legacy because of that fact is fairly pointless.

For over 55 years now the Daksha have spread across the world in the aftermath of their failure with the Third Reich. They are a global organisation, with global reach. Not some Indian-Centric Legacy which occasionally exports members to the rest of the world.

Councilia exist in part for this reason. To contain and prevent fallout from megalomaniacal masters murdering each other.

You know how people keep harping on about how paranoid mages are? This is why. A reasonable cabal will go to great lengths to minimize unnecessary sympathy and ward each other from magical influence.

Also it's suboptimal to use Praxis as a Master. You should be designing and using your own Rotes.

You didn't answer the question.

Yes, it's a Mexican stand off. Most of the time, that is.

Is this really so hard to understand? Masters are easily the most terrifying thing a player can be. It only gets worse when you include the Archmasters.

Does anyone have the OP image without text?

Option 1: Maintain Veiling so he can't find you
Option 2: Counterspelling
Option 3: Practice of Shielding
Option 4: A pre-emptive strike
Option 5: Be friends with a Time Mage, get them to retcon the spell after your death

>Time 5/ Prime 5 unmake a mage completely having them be awakened but unable to ever cast a spell.
That's archmastery there's literally no way around that.

There are many ways. It's far easier for a mage to defend himself against another mage, compared to the other supernaturals that are nothing more than lawn chair fodder.

How would Shielding help here? Technically?

This

the group I play with, which includes a Fenris werewolf and a Bruja Vamp, were always complaining that I made a Time mage instead of a Forces or Matter. Now that after 5 sessions I have saved the group 3 separate times they have started to see.

Damn its good to be awakened.

No, you literally find all the moments in time, when he would cast a spell and preemptively drain all of his power.

Practice of Shielding protects against any unwanted application of the Arcanum under its purview, forcing a Clash of Wills between the individuals attempting to manifest their spells.

As a Master, it would be quite easy to cast that with an Indefinite Duration, and Advanced Potency for a +5 to your contested roll.

Of course that only works if you're trying to work under equivalent principles though, so Life v Life, or Mind v Mind, or Death v Death, and so forth.

But then again, we're getting into bullshit white room stuff, so it's not infeasible for the Master to have that for a large number of spells, given that it's only 2 dots.

Impossible, Temporal Sympathy now only works with specific Time spells, such as Temporal Summoning and Postcognition.

Serious question.
Why is there always such a shitfest around white wolf/onyx path games?

lol

Only Mages can reliably defend against other Mages and their Unmaking shit.

Fucking Mage Supremacy.

1. Because of the politics written in from the start
2. Because of the subject matter which can get edgy
3. Because some people take it far too seriously
4. Because some people don't take it seriously enough
5. Because it's a universe that involve various factions, which are not "equivalent" provoking people take take sides and imagining ludicrous fucking bullshit, irrelevant comic book "Batman v.s. Wolverine" style fights
6. Because the rules are frequently quite inspecific, causing contention in their application, comprehension, and the possibility for significant abuse
7. Because shitposting is fun

Prime can defend against all of the Arcana, I believe.

All these posts about Unmaking spells. How long from chargen until you get there? Not the shortest route, the most common route. Fifty sessions? A hundred?

It does seem a bit funny that only Mages stand a chance at surviving the angst of a pissed off Master.

Assuming you take all merit dots in Gnosis and 3 dots in an Arcanum, that's 18 Experiences to increas Gnosis by 2, and the Arcanum by 2.

Given the fact you can put all of your beats, including Arcane and Mundane towards it, and assuming a rate of 2 Experiences (10 beats) per session by being a rampant beat whore, that's 9 sessions.

Alright, that's the shortest route, but is that common in real play? How do people usually do it? Also, are there training times associated with raising those traits?

With a more reasonable rate of gain of Experiences, say about 7 per session, instead that would be about 13 sessions.

Which would be 1 for completing the session, 2 for fulfilling your short term Aspirations, resolve a Condition for 1, make headway on your Obsession for 1, take an Exceptional failure for 1, and have a dramatic scene for 1.

Totally achievable.

I usually take 12-16 sessions when I try to go fast Mastery. I don't like doing it because you'll be deficient in a lot of other areas.

I'll tell you when I see someone reach it.
Most of my current players want to diversify to start with, however my previous group wanted to go hard, or go home and get to the higher Arcana as soon as possible.

Personally in the game I'm playing, I just want to save for a little bit and see what I could potentially buy in a session or two's time when this current story is resolved sup notanautomaton, perhaps Gnosis 3. Perhaps some Rotes. Perhaps some Merits.

Only through Universal Counterspell I'm afraid.

Prime's Practice of Shielding is the spell Wards and Sigils, which increases Withstand, which an exceptional success blows straight past.

If you wanted a proper "clash of wills" shield, that would only apply to Prime spells.

You guys are making me hate Awakening.

Mage was a mistake.

>Taking seriously anything said in /wodg/

This

Badass Master duels would require both Mages to have similar build layouts. Otherwise it's the stereotypical Mexican stand off.

This isn't always the case, however.

>Greedo shot first

It started in India.
They rely on a veneer of Hindu mythology and religious practices to sell their Legacy to others. If the India Diaspora didn't include mages from this legacy, how on earth did they spread to other continents?

Universal Counterspell would be very efficient when used to defend against an Unmaking finger o' doom attack, user.

Prime Mages are the anti-Mages, ain't no way around them.

I can hate what I want, damn it!

Especially when Mages are this fucking retarded.

High base stats work as well. So do specific shields.I'd probably houserule that most shields defend against unmaking as they are a barrier to taking damage.

If you read it, the usual drawing factor for new Mages is either the incredible sex, or their alleged formation by an Oracle, and his bevy of Archmasters.

Apparently.

>How on earth did they spread to other continents?
The normal way, boats or Space magic.
I should also hasten to add, this is the 19th century, not the 9th.
In 1891, when the Legacy was founded, India was under the control of the British Empire, with Queen Victoria having been declared the Empress of India only 15 years prior, and continued in that position for 10 years after its formation.

I'm fairly certain that the Practice of Shielding can defend against an Exceptional Success Unmaking attack.

It's just that other supernaturals don't have this luxury.

Are you implying that Masters aren't capable of disintegrating their lesser with total ease?

It can, just not in the form of Withstand, which is what Prime's universal protection version does.

Which is why you'll want the Shielding of the specific Arcanum used offensive to have protection.

Or just use Universal Counterspell instead.

That works, however it takes up your action, and requires you to be in Mage Sight.
So you'd better have some friends to gang-pile him while you try and keep him locked down.
And pray you don't fail.

That's a bit of an exaggeration.

It's not as difficult as you make it out to be, user.