JumpChain CYOA Thread #1352: Ironing Out the Kinks Edition

>Google Drive
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1qb0_OLhDrDSmZpRWdZaGZRcWs?tid=0B20r6rsFLOg_Zk5RdVdya3hJNnc&authuser=0

>Jumpchain IRC Chat
client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=rizon.mibbit.org&channel=#JumpchainCYOA
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/?#JumpchainCYOA

>Rules
pastebin.com/Gqj3iKyn

>How to Jumpchain
drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qb0_OLhDrDNjZmRG02SDFaRVk/view

>Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=08xabmiFuHU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm fairly certain nobody asked for this.

Nice name!

Now onward with Nightmare City!

Come Under The Wet Yourself [100]: There are moments at which you’ll hit rock bottom. However you’ll always find a small glimmer of hope even in your darkest moments. Even should you be at the edge of suicide you would at least find a second to reflect on your good times. It isn’t guaranteed to help but this perk allows you a moment of clarity about the good things in life.

This Little Time That You Live Here [200]: You’ve learned that some things are more valuable than others. Time can pass by but the emotional impact of memories can change a person more readily than any other weapon or armor. You can gauge your emotions slightly, allowing you to care a little less about unimportant things and cling a little more to memories of joy and happiness. Whilst this can’t alter your personality it may lead you to have greater determination when facing unlikely odds.

We Cannot Change the Past [400]: The past is immutable to those of this world so you must learn to accept deal with the present no matter how ugly it’s face. Overcoming a perilous situation and ending in triumph is always the path you should seek but reflecting on the past allows you to objectively take in both failure and victory so to make you stronger. Should you take time to reflect on something you had trouble with you’ll be able to create counters for that situation so that if you ever encountered that situation again you would be able to make the result favor you more than the last time. The closer to the original situation that the new one is the greater the plan’s effectiveness, however the more differences that are introduce the less effective the plan will become.

Field too long. Continuing on next post.

Have no idea what happened there.

Reach Out Our Hands [600]: The future is yours to create. Moments come when you are faced with the threat to all that you hold dear. This power allows you to, in moments of dire need when you or a loved one is threatened with death or worse, to gain powerful boost that could, if used correctly, turn the tables. This boost is mostly temporary but always leaves you slightly better off than before it activated, reflected in anything from a full heal to the ability to manifest weapons out of thin air. Powers left behind are minimalistic things, pale shadows of the power you enjoyed during the temporary period of boost, but mastering them could be a path to getting to that point on a more permanent bases.

Whoa, nice quads, half-Mega Satan.

No, but it's appreciated. Looks pretty good. I'm going to introduce these people to mobile suits, the game is more or less Gundam already.

I always wanted a Call of Duty Jump. Infinite Warfare is okay, would've liked a Black Ops Jump.

Reading now.

>Notes
Oh, hey, how ya doin'.

I woulda made Black Ops, but I've only played 2 and a liiitle bit of 1 and I didn't think I could do it justice.

I'm doing pretty good, user.

Jumpers! How often do you change your gender?

>Nightmare City
Like, as in, pic-related? Huh,

Ahh. would've liked one. Really liked the swarm nano machine things and the rolly balls. Loki would have been a sweet weapon to have.

What is the largest ship that you can get from the Light Fleet of Fog option? Other than the subs that is.

Awesome. After we finished discussing the story last time I realized there was apparently a zombie mode to the game too, CoD really won't get away from the zombie meme will they?

Nope more like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=08xabmiFuHU

Zombies makes them money. People will outright buy the game just for the zombies mode and nothing else.
It would be dumb on their part to take it out.

>basically what said

Sure, but only within reason. Let's look at Kryptonians for example:

Race "package" cost of 1000 cp, or only 500cp if you ally with the Regime. Comes with potentially fatal allergy to kryptonite and an occasional need for yellow sunlight.

Separated "powers" cost of 3000 cp, no discounts available: enhanced reflexes (not even close), speedster (not as good), extreme durability, enhanced regeneration, extreme strength, flight (not even remotely close), enhanced senses (no xray vision), breath attack with freezing effect, eye beams with heat effect. Comes with no allergy to kryptonite nor need for a yellow sun, but you're not remotely as quick or fast as a Kryptonian and lacking a few miscellaneous powers.

I could understand a 2:1 disparity, that fits the whole "50% discount" style of jumpchain, but the above is or exceeds a factor of three (or six!) to one.

So if you don't want to make the races significantly more expensive, discounting individual powers for those who didn't choose a super-powered race "package" would be reasonable and in line with the 50% tradition.

*Arpeggio of Blue Steel question.

>Notes

Can we stop doing the "You can constantly gain new powers through single perks" stuff? It's fine as a perk that can give you temporary power ups but ones that give you entirely new powers, not weak ones either, that you can eventually train to full strength is too much.

Is the old CoD wip from 2015 still on the drive?

You mean based on the jump, or just for the hell of it?

I swear Woods was enough of a goldmine for two perk trees. Cranky jackass that he is.

They won't! Although at the same time, even though they try to change it up a little each game, it ends up being pretty much the same. I'd wager it's the only part of CoD you can make a single generic jump for.

Hello, user.

Not all that often. It always just ends up being akward and uncomfortable.

Fair enough, I'll add 300 CP for powers for non-superhuman races.

And it's not as bad a disparity If you take out speedster, but that's another issue which, frankly, I'm too tired to tackle.

Also, are uploads to the drive supposed to be restricted now?

I think the first two marine perks could be price-swapped.

I change forms at the drop of a hat, but I'm pretty consistent about sticking to being female. Makes me feel pretty.

Destroyers or the smaller cruisers, maybe? Heavy cruisers and battleships are listed under the Heavy Vessel option, so those should give you an idea of "too big for this."

*not an expert.

As many times as I damn-well please after I got Potterverse's Metamorphmagus...or, well, used to.

Companions bruv, they are sometimes a great boon, but other times a grave curse.

Though in this case, I decided to stop using the power outside of emergencies so that they can feel comfortable.

Any reasoning?

I actually flipflopped on this for a while, but I decided I wanted to make sure the freebie for the explicitly combat-based origin was actually a combat perk. Both because it generally made sense and also to avoid a marine who spent all of their CP on items not being a very good fighter.

Aside from "You rack up a ridiculous number of actually good powers over time from this one perk" and that it seems significantly better then the other capstone we've seen so far because of it's incredible long term potential, in addition to it's great short term effect? It already puts you in a advantageous position when you or a loved one is in danger but getting permanent powers you can train up, with no limit on the number you can gather, is just too for what we have seen so far as the other perks.

Every four or five jumps, on average. Sometimes I'll do it more often to mess with people, though. Depends on the setting. Like, Ranma 1/2 I did it constantly just so that Ranma would realize my transformations were under my control instead of Jusenkyo-based. He got so jealous.

>user points out separate powers can be up to 2500cp more expensive than buying them as a racial pack.
>maker adds an extra 300cp for non-super races.

Er... why not just go with the discount idea? It would seem to scale better.

Ravenloft, that was some good stuff. Finished reading it while the thread was down. I feel bad for Karen, but at least she got a semi-happy ending after all that. Going to have to up my own writing game a little bit though. You always write such interesting stuff.

Rough, but interesting perks. I'm not really certain "We Cannot Change the Past" is worth 400 the way it stands. Unfortunately, I don't really have a good suggestion on how to fix it. Sorry.

"Reach Out Our Hands" is a really great Perk, but you should probably limit it to finding new ways to use powers you already have, instead of manifesting brand new ones. The way it's worded now gives people free range to make up pretty much anything. The temporary power-up while protecting others or near death is a good base though.

I know what you're going for with that last perk, but unless you slap some harsh limitations on it, people are going to rag on you for perks like this. It's just too much for a single capstone perk.

It depends on what's happening and what is needed at the moment, but I'll usually swap back and forth a few times a week. After spending most of ten years in Ranma 1/2 switching genders every time I so much as touched cold water, I lost the fear I had of the whole affair.

I tend to stick to male primarily, but I'm not married to it as strongly as I was before. And once you've been a dragon, well, the soul starts to become more important than the form.

>Anthropic Universe
Uh... Wow. This seems way too much for something in a Call of Duty world, especially when further boosted by capstones. I mean, causality manipulation/outright reality warping on this scale blows the other perks right out of the water.

Frankly, it seems like most of the issues surround the Kryptonian race - might just remove them and the Martians altogether.

I gave him a clue as to how to sort out his problem. His face-palm when he figured it out two days later was all kinds of epic.

Okay then thanks for the critic.

>I'm not really certain "We Cannot Change the Past" is worth 400 the way it stands.
Okay then I'll work on it.

>Unfortunately, I don't really have a good suggestion on how to fix it. Sorry.
Thanks for trying though.

>"Reach Out Our Hands"
Let's see what I can put together then. Thanks for the critic.

It's not really any different than how Genre Shift from Evangelion is treated.

So Arpeggio user can we get a canon companion purchase option?

I disagree. It's a setting tone adjuster perk, it might be objectively vast in scale but doesn't have enough selectivity for it to really have a huge amount of utility. It's really just a dial with settings for "more darker" and "less sadder", trying to do anything else with it is outside its scope.

The ability to make any setting far less dangerous seems plenty useful to me. Get the best version of the perk and turn all the high power jumps into total comedies to remove a lot of the danger in them.

The story of the campaign is basically about the war between a straight good and a straight evil faction, but they threw a bunch of depressing tropes about war in. I wanted the fact that Reyes is basically trying running directly against the tone of the setting to be reflected by that.

Key word is 'trying', though. At the end of the day, the base perk is at best a nudge, and with boosters more of a tilt on the original setting. That's why I generally kept to repeating 'shift' instead of outright 'change' for things. Although now that you mention it, the Mars booster for it has a bit more forceful wording than I really intended. Maybe toning that one down is in order?

I think he has said that you can get canon boatfus for the mental model option if you want them user, not sure about humans though.

>Turn them into comedies to remove a lot of the danger in them
>Turn them into comedies
>To REMOVE danger

I might get hurt but it's a light hearted comedy, so I'll survive and everything will be right as rain in the end.

You ever read a gag manga before? Comedy doesn't mean less dangerous, it just means it's funny when people get kicked to the moon.

I guess I'm reading it differently than you are, then. To me, there's no reason that a comedy can't be super dangerous, and since it doesn't say that it would change the danger level of a setting I interpret that as meaning the comedy version would be. All sorts of dark humor where death is the punchline and stuff like that, you'd just be getting a laugh out of it. Perhaps that's not the case, though, let's ask the author. Author?

But you outright say 'change' for the best version of it.

Hmm. ... well you're not wrong. Supes, Kara, Lobo, J'onn, Diana, etc - it's hard to balance special snowflakes.

Could it be tackled by having the races cheap/free and instead giving them a discount on the appropriate powers? Sorta the reverse of how it is now?

I'd also avoid mentioning specific numbers in the powers. It's not like comic writers bother with consistency anyway.

No, then you'll just have idiots screaming about unfair it is that they're not also getting the powers for free since the races should have them automatically.

I mean, it depends on the comedy. There are a few where you could get killed off for the sake of a joke. You don't have the same guarantee of survival.

Remove danger? No, it's not supposed to be for changing what the setting is. You wouldn't get... say, Text To Speech Device if you shifted 40k more towards a comedy... it'd still be 40k, something that is incredibly dangerous.

This is what I meant by the 'tilt' stuff up above. Let's say you did, in fact tilt 40k towards comedy. At best what you'd get is people generally being a bit more upbeat and funny, but remember that comedy can come in really fucked up brands like black comed- actually this guy got it pretty well. You're right, I did say that! But read the line and I'll explain why I used 'change' there.

>Instead of simply being able to shift the tone higher and lower, the influence you exert has expanded to the point that entire genres can be delicately shifted and changed over.

I used 'changed' because I was referring changing the setting more towards different genres instead of the idealism vs. cynicism scale. Although... you do have a point, it doesn't read as light as I wanted it to be, it does sound pretty absolute. Revision in order?

I'd like this to be the final draft. I've removed the Kryptonians and Martian races because they pretty much were only skub.

Y'know, it's fitting that on the first day I tune into the thread in 2 months that I should cause something like this.

But then the question is "YOU DIDN'T LIST X POWER

Well they don't show that power in Injustice

THERE'S NO REASON TO BELIEVE THEY DON'T HAVE IT"

I'm all for wank, but wank in moderation.

Point.

Heh. Kinda ironic anyway since the video game deliberately put in the super-pills as a way of leveling the playing field so that players of the game had to rely on skill rather than 'muh power levels'.

>removing the anticipated part of the jump
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

But in all seriousness I suppose it's not so bad. At least there are superman pills to even it out.

Well shit, no hope of a Martian waifu now. I hope you'll consider updating this when Injustice 2 and its comics come out. Supergirl waifu.

Yeah, it's probably for the best.

Retrying Nightmare City Perks!

We Cannot Change the Past [400]: The past is immutable to those of this world so you must learn to accept deal with the present no matter how ugly it’s face. Overcoming a perilous situation and ending in triumph is always the path you should seek but reflecting on the past allows you to objectively take in both failure and victory so to make you stronger. Should you take time to reflect on something you had trouble with you’ll be able to create counters for that situation so that if you ever encountered that situation again you would be able to make the result favor you more than the last time. The closer to the original situation that the new one is the greater the plan’s effectiveness, however differences dosen’t exactly hinder the plan as long as the situation is similar enough to count.

Reach Out Our Hands [600]: The future is yours to create. Moments come when you are faced with the threat to all that you hold dear. This power allows you to, in moments of dire need when you or a loved one is threatened with death or worse, to gain a powerful boost that could, if used correctly, turn the tables. This boost is temporary but always leaves you slightly better off than before it activated, usually by leaving you not on the edge of death.

How're these? Reach Out Our Hands feels a little weak compared to Obey Me or Defy Me now but I don't know what to do about it.

Either one.

Honestly you could still offer Martian & Kryptonians. Instead of 1000cp, I'd go 1200cp with discount. Or just go straight. 1000 or 800 with no discount.

Maybe a slight boost to physical or mental attributes? We already have a few perks like that, it's still worthwhile, and it doesn't run into the same issues as creating infinite OC powers.

I hope you remember that my attitude towards Kryptonians was, from the very beginning of this, that I didn't want to risk an OTB and that comics being what they were, no price would be high enough. This thread and the last prooved that.

I plan to. Not sure what they plan on doing with that, though - if they plan on having new factions emerge from the sidelines, or if they have the existing ones be broken and reformed. The second would make it largely incompatible with the jumpchain structure.

But as the other user showed, it could well be a 3000 CP value. And when you consider that Superman was shown going full ZA WARUDO timestop, the potential for wank is... nasty. And not in a good way.

If there are no more objections, I'll probably upload this as soon as Brutus unlocks that. Tomorrow I'd like to get the Crusader Kings jump up as well, and after that - well, if no one else has claimed Ride to Hell: Retribution I would like to do that.

I don't think the old CoD jump was based off of anything specific was it? Then again it's not like we have a Spec Ops or a The Division jump either.

There was no need to remove the full healt or temporary new powers bit. The only problem was gaining those powers permanently.

Erm, that said, clarifying that these powers are mid level and will always be combat related stuff would be for the best.

Then can we have a male Amazon? Atlanteans aren't as strong.

How do you know what powers you get if you pick a race like czarnian?

Yup.

Extreme strength, enhanced durability, extreme regen.

Super strength, durability, and regeneration. It is Lobo user.

Thank you I am glad you liked it. I tried very hard to give Karen a good ending she deserved it after all that. Hopefully I gave her a good enough send off. I certainly enjoyed writing up her chain.

>Czarnian-800 CP (Discount Drop-in): An alien race thought to be extinct after one of its members, Lobo, killed off nearly all others within it. Members of this race are well-known for their strength and durability, as well as their extreme regenerative abilities – with more mature members being able to regenerate fully from a single drop of blood, and topple skyscrapers with a backhand.

user it's literally in the race description.

On that note, can someone point me to anything that describes the differences between the temporary and permanent versions of the pill?

Thanks for the ideas. So, I take it that We Cannot Change the Past is good now at least?

How about this?

Reach Out Our Hands [600]: The future is yours to create. Moments come when you are faced with the threat to all that you hold dear. This power allows you to, in moments of dire need when you or a loved one is threatened with death or worse, to gain a powerful boost that could, if used correctly, turn the tables. This boost is temporary but always leaves you slightly better off than before it activated, reflected in anything from a full heal to a slight improvement to your mind or body. The powers temporarily gained during this boost are always appropriate for the battlefield at hand.

Hey man, reading is hard.

Probably best to replace a slight improvement to mind or body with explaining the sorts of powers you can get and their strength level, since you seem to have gone with it granting temporary powers in the last sentence.

Pretty sure there's no permanent version without jumper shenanigans.

The temporary version is temporary, the permanent version is permanent.

They both amplify human strength and durability by several thousand percent.

The comics were rather inconsistent on whether it was that Superman's pills were permenant and the insurgency's were temporary, or whether they were all temporary. Going by the former description, Alfred took a regime pill and you get insurgency pills for the item. If we do the latter... well then, Alfred is the one exception. Jumpmaker decision here.

So uh question about the Motherbox item.
Does it assume that there will always be a fuckton of very similar universes to go to in any setting or does a setting take primacy and override that if it already has multiversal travel?

Can we choose the main universe version of the characters if we buy them instead of the evil ones? I would prefer to waifu the not batshit version of Wonder Woman.

>Does it assume that there will always be a fuckton of very similar universes to go to in any setting

This one. Fiat, bitch.

Sorry for that carry over. Meant this

Reach Out Our Hands [600]: The future is yours to create. Moments come when you are faced with the threat to all that you hold dear. This power allows you to, in moments of dire need when you or a loved one is threatened with death or worse, to gain a powerful boost that could, if used correctly, turn the tables. This boost is temporary but always leaves you slightly better off than before it activated, reflected in anything from a full heal to a slight improvement to your mind or body. The powers temporarily improved during this boost are always appropriate for the battlefield at hand.

No. The focus is on the characters of this universe because they're what make the universe unique.

Also, you have shit taste. Injustice WW is a perfect goddess of war and death.

Can the jump's mother box open portals to locations in the same universe? e.g if I want to get to Europe from America or to Oa from Earth?

That...still doesn't really make sense? If you don't mean to have the perk give even temporary powers, you should probably remove the last line. If you do mean to, you need to give more detail on those powers.

Yes but it's imprecise in doing that. I'll add that in.

Off to sleep for now, should be back to answer anything else tomorrow afternoon. Feel free to leave posts here, I'll respond to them all.

Well that's pretty neat. It's going to get confusing keeping track of all dose layers in certain jumps, but that's a small price to pay to be able to go anywhere.

>Yes but it's imprecise in doing that. I'll add that in.
Why is it imprecise?

Okay then. Thanks for the critique.

Reach Out Our Hands [600]: The future is yours to create. Moments come when you are faced with the threat to all that you hold dear. This power allows you to, in moments of dire need when you or a loved one is threatened with death or worse, to gain a powerful boost that could, if used correctly, turn the tables. This boost is temporary but always leaves you slightly better off than before it activated, reflected in anything from a full heal to a slight improvement to your mental or physical abilities. The powers temporarily gained during this boost are always a boost to one’s general combat ability and the ability to manifest a personal scale weapon of your choice.

How about this?

Since we aren't as strong as regular Doomsday for some reason, can we be more handsome?

Well, I guess you did follow my feedback. Seems good with that user, I wish you good luck on the rest of the jump too.

Please forgive me if this has been asked before or is a dumb question but for powers do you have to purchase the enhanced version of an ability to take the extreme version (like durability)? If not what happens if you take both?

...Why is all the shit I want 600 or more, and none of it to the same origin?

Bah. Time to abuse companions.

>Wanting Injustice Superman's sloppy seconds

RL answer is so there's still a need for the characters to travel through the portals rather than simply asking the box "open a portal so I can reach through and grab the maguffin" or "open a portal to bisect my enemy's torso", etc.

Don't know what happens if you buy both (I guess they'd stack), but last thread Cenanon said you don't have to buy one to get the other.

Really? Thought that was because Cyborg is the only one who has one and the nature of the tubes make them ill suited for use as a weapon.

>implying Kal will ever get over Lois long enough to remember that WW is top-heavy

That'd be the IC reason, not the RL reason.

I'm pretty sure Regime Superman canonically fucked Wonder Woman. She got him on the rebound but he was barely into the relationship.

Or I might be remembering wrong.