Standard General

I wonder who's behind MtG's next expansion edition.

>What deck are you playing?
>How do you feel about current metagame?
>What do you want to see in Amonkhet?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-89-35-tix-marvelous-paradox-standard
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/smite.gamepedia.com/6/68/Thoth_laugh_3.ogg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

UW Cheeri0's
It's bullshit, nothing but vehicles and BG snek at my local stores.
Bolas ripping the Jacetice League a new one.

Standard right now is honestly fucking awful. Nothing but pushed mythics and bannings that make the format a worse place. Whoever wins the dice roll generally wins the game because it's almost impossible to break serve. You know a format is fucked up when Lightning Bolt would fix it.

>I wonder who's behind MtG's next expansion edition.
Are you retarded? We've known it's Bolas for almost 6 months...
4 color Marvel
Weak. I was hoping for actual combo standard so the best players could rise to the top and put the aggro shit lords in their place but wizards let me down again...
A good card to cast off marvel, some dope new gods. I hope there are also more new walkers. Need a good UR walker.

Vampire tribal.
It could be worse. Not much worse, but it could still be worse. Either get memed on by the cat combo that R&D somehow missed, or run over by pushed mythics.
Mummies, enchantments, deserts.

>Vampire Tribal
I found your mistake

Meh, what can I say. I'd rather play my tier 4 deck then cat or cars.

GB Counters
Eeh. GB is probably one of favorite color combos, which makes me happy. But it is stale as hell. I was back at my hometown this weekend, and my old LCS had about 5 GB Counters decks, including me. Thankfully my current LCS has a bit more diversity. People generally just play what they enjoy. I'm thinking about making the deck more midrange just to make me happier. Maybe throw in white if I'm feeling extra stupid.
5 mana Destroy all artifacts and creatures. I'll take 6 mana, but anything higher is unplayable.

Grixis Control
Standard needs some much stronger card hate right now. Lots of the big creatures (Counting Gideon as a creature) are making their way into Modern and Vintage: formats with MUCH stronger control. Decks have been way too Agro oriented in the last few rotations.
Some nice Grixis colored Instants and a good Nicky B Planeswalker card.

Are those really the lands? Jesus Christ they're fucking terrible.

They'll probably have other cart arts for them, but yeah, the horns make them all look pretty ridiculous.

Esper midrange...in modern
>How do you feel about the current metagame?
Garbage
Curse cards, trap cards, mummies, and shards colored God cards

Red White Humans
steaming hot garb, miss BFZ underpowered standard
actually useful removal, shit that breaks up '4 toughness: the gathering' , simpler boardstates

Yidris chaos

stopped playing standard when reflector mage baned

Mummies/zombies i want muh restless dead to spike in price so i can sell my 100 copies

I'm a Modern player but I play RG Tron, no bully pls

>Metagame
"You're tired of the same old same old, because it's the same. And it's old!"

>What do you want to see in Amonkek?
From a lorewise standpoint, I want Bolas to kick the GW down a couple pegs, they're awfully lucky if you ask me. Also I want Liliana and Garruk to have a run in, I miss big, green and hairy.

From a boardstate point of view, Standard seems as stagnant as ever, and I'm HOPING that WOTC will shake it up. Also Lightning Bolt.

I don't see a problem with them, stop being a faggot.

>tfw focus on enchantment

>god cards

>masterwork god enchantment cards
masterwork doubling season

you know this will happen

The Bolas horns look retarded, stop having no taste.

Mountain actually looks decent, like its built for the skyline, Swamp looks ok, the rest are ass. Forest in particular looks like a bad photoshop addition

What is Standard currently like? I played RG Pummler Energy for awhile back before Aether Revolt, but didn't really get a feel for what the meta was unfortunately.

>i would like masterpiece bloodchief acenscion

I wish they would just TRY to be subtle with Bolas's horns.

>we're not even going to get bolas this set.

Why would an emperor over gods be interested in subtlety?

HIDE BOLAS THREADS
IGNORE BOLAS
DO NOT REPLY TO BOLAS

We're getting other full art lands other than just horns overlooking city with different color backgrounds right?

he creepin on da booty

No. There's more lands but these are the only full art ones. Hour of Devastation might have something better.

Even if you remove the horns the lands still look incredibly bland and computer generated. Each land has the sun setting in the same fashion and the same obelisks shaded like its 1998 under a different colour filter. They look fucking atrocious.

inb4 the horns aren't just decorations and actually belong to huge bolas standing in a hole

In one of the official descriptions it says Amonkhet was an uninhabitable plane, full of sandstorms and no life, but Bolas came down and created the one big city that is "Amonkhet". At the center of it are his horns, which is why you keep seeing them, these are all just different parts of the one city. There aren't multiple sets of massive horns all over the plane.

Mono Black Kill everything in standard, I've been messing with GB modular in modern.
3.5/10, they somehow banned some cards and made the top 4 decks become three decks. To fix it, ban Guardian, print Planar Cleansing to take care of vehicles and Gids.
Shards, more removal, and Innistrad: Mummy Edition (minus the flip cards)

Esper Control. Mostly counterspells and removal, with T Hulks to finish out the game. It's a lot of fun, lot's of shenanigans ensue.

>tfw I want to be able to play colossus

I want to try building a metalwork colossus deck. Is u/r cost reduction the way to go or is there a viable alternative?

UGx Emerge
Fuck if I know
Return of Wither

5-color Bring to Light, have been going pretty good, 4-1'd two friendly leagues in a row
It's ok-ish I guess, but the lack of graveyard and 'energy' answers is dissatisfying. Marvel and ballista are the two cards that destroys me the most.
Answers, and good cheap commons/uncommons

Esper Eldrazi
>What do you think of the current meta?
Could be worse, could be better. I'm used to 3-deck metas but I feel like there's a lot of cool stuff that could be done in standard right now that's overshadowed by cats, cars and snakes.
>What do you hope to see in Amonkhet?
Sphinxes and other cool tribes. Better removal and control to curb the aggro-midrange that's plagued standard for a while now.

Gremlins when I even bother

Standard is dead

Nicol Bolas defeat and scatter the Jacetice League to the far corners of the multiverse with the exception of his new servant Lili.

>what deck are you playing?
mardu vehicles
>how do you feel about the current metagame?
I feel like wizards is just forcing us down certain roads too often
> What do you want to see in Amonkhet?
Persist

they're all preparing to return to amonkhet when they see an article in the newspaper with jace on it, sporting a new tattoo. The tattoo says 3Y and they all understand.

the next 5 blocks are all dedicated to a single walker, following them training and getting stronger in preparation to return, and have Jace crowned king of the planeswalkers

Esper Control, or at least attempting to.

>How do you feel about the current metagame?

Very samey. Three most popular decks are G/B snek, Mardu Vehicles and Cat combo. Luckily my LGS is full of flavor and there's a tonne of quirky less meta combo's.

Lore wise the Gatewatch get rekt. Garruk coming for Liliana maybe as a Bolas pawn. Ashiok return and some new god damn walkers that aren't throwaways for the all popular Jacetice League.

Cards wise? More esper love, something to shake up the meta. Curses.

pic related

My meta is full of johnnies so I get weird brews with panharmonicon, colossus and zombies/discard control. There's a control freak too.

A nice 3-drop to substitute Tireless Tracker

>tfw even though the GB aggro version of my deck is stronger/more competitive, the jund delirium was way funner
Is there any replacement for verderous Gearhulk, got 0 of him?

How do I not just get destroyed against Jund Energy as B/R Zombies?

I dont wanna say play a better deck buuuuuut

Ooh, Bolas lands, I may actually use those.
I have 8 dark intimations so far.

But it's fun.

Thats why i play B/R zombies

Even strongest deck can get raped when you develop 9 power worth of stats on turn 2 with haunted dead and 2 amalgams.
And it happens more often than you may think

I made a meme xDDD

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting
Those cloth-wrinkles though

ALSO Bolas was always about bringing back the planewalkers to being gods in the multiverse, shaping planes as they see fit. If Amonkhet is actually the plane he made back when he was still omnipotent before the mending, the place would have his imagery all over the place.

Are you running a playset of Fatal Push? If so: how is it treating you against shit like Mardu Vehicles?

I'm running Grixis Control: haven't thrown down the money yet for the Fatal Pushes but I might once I check out this one nearby scene for FNM.

That delirium card that let's you to put one +1/+1 counter on one of your creatures during each enemy upkeep?

That could work with snek, but the problem is, wouldn't it make too many 2-drops with already 4 snakes, 4 Flayers and 4 grasps?

My deck hates me though. Cathartic Reunion consistently gives me 3 lands no matter how much I shuffle.

So apparently MTGGoldfish played a Bo5 between Mardu Vehicles and Cawblade, and it came down to a close game 5. And people think standard is healthy.

I want to go back to the times of RTR.

But all the land art is from one perspective. That's lazy at best.

any non-gif version?

In the actual Amonkhet thread.

>Jund delirium
Muh monoblack human creature!
I also miss my jund delirium, so much fun, going to try to make it again right now just cause of u!

I can't wait for gods to not be part pf the set so you faggots will stop talking about this shit.

>: ( I'm getting birb god whether you like it or not

4 color panharmonicon
It's diverse enough. I like that the format is slow enough that I can play things like panharmonicon and not get completely shrecked by skipping my turn 3-4 to drop a harmonicon.
The death of a gatewatch member at the hands of Bolas. Not that I hate the gatewatch but I want their mortality to be made known in a grisly and sudden way. Maybe a story card depicting bolas dangling the corpse of a gatewatch member in his claws while the rest are seen fleeing for their lives. Bolas is the end all be all. Bolas cannot be defeated easily. The gatewatch needs to understand that.

Why wouldn't they be?

Because the only gods we've seen are very much plane specific and they were awful in the first place

I would love to hear all of the people who are saying standard is in a bad place right now when it was good

It has always been 2-3 dominating decks that run pushed cards

But if there was any other plane where a pop culture mythology would justify God cards it is definitely an Egyptian Plane.

How is that Mountain even a mountain? It's literally just a city with some red obelisks no taller than the buildings in it.

It's been done before.

Got a list? I mostly splashed red for Arlinn Kord and other jank mythics I had lying around+ RG and BR lands

wrong.jpg

Abzan Snek
Sure is three decks around, so... normal?
Well, going off of my hopes that the five gods are Shards-esque three colors, which I base on little to nothing, enemy Fetches please.
Likely not going to happen either way, but it's still what I want.

So I want to make an Abzan deck based around the appropriate multi-colored cards from aether revolt,

But I've never deck built before, and I'm not confident that I can get it right

Is there any advice/guide on this kind of thing or is it something learned, no taught?

Modern krark-clan ironworks eggs. Feels pretty strong right now.
In modern, I don't mind it. The standard one looks like cancer.
I want an instant that is one mana, two white, and says: Each player returns to the battlefield all artifact, creature, enchantment, and land cards in his or her graveyard that were put there from the battlefield this turn.
Oh wait....

Mono-red/reckless Panharmonicon
It could be worse but its not that bad.
Some neat new enchantments for my Rafiq enchantress.

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-89-35-tix-marvelous-paradox-standard
On one hand, it's a brewer's paradise. On the other, all the fun brews are JUST a bit too weak to compete with the big 2, and that's really frustrating.
Lightning bolt
>Mono-red/reckless Panharmonicon
How is this working out for you? I enjoyed his video on it a lot but when I tried to play it it felt VERY weak. Have you made any big changes?

>Because the only gods we've seen are very much plane specific
>"okay WHY does this set have unique traits!?!"
This is why core sets need to be a thing

It's working out fairly well. A little bit of a bad match up against really aggro heavy decks but it holds up fairly well and they're easy to sideboard against.
I changed the sideboard a lot though. Weaver's have been replaced with Ornithopters, Structural Distortions and Eldrazi Obligator have been replaced with Servo Schematics, and two of something else were taken out for the obligatory Shock.

Of course they're not going to be like the Theros Gods. Flavor-wise it doesn't make sense. Unless I'm mistaken, Bolas created this plane like Karn created Mirrodin. He wasn't going to occupy it with these beings that could potentially rival him in power. Much less have his servants worshiping these things. Hell, there's probably not even any native Walkers on this plane for the same reason. Also mechanics-wise I don't think WotC wants to just do Devotion again so soon. They'll probably just be Legendaries with some wonky mechanic.

This set will have the creature equivalent of expeditions and masterpieces

Theros gods were born from Nyx you mong. They weren't """"gods"""" as much as powerful beings who got more powerful the more people worshipped them.

Obviously there's not going to be a Nyx on Amonkhet.

>being salty over one of the most justified bans in modern

Sunny Side Up was the worst deck in the history of modern. Go play ad naus if you just can't stand not playing solitaire for fifteen minutes each game to get your combo kill.

I want some cool goblins in this set.

You

Exactly you

Are everything wrong with the gaming community as a whole, and you will never, ever actually understand why.

I'm so sorry.

Pia's Revolution Marionette Master combo that I made when I was drunk. It's slow af and really bad but it's fun seeing people take damage if they kill anything
I've no other point of reference as I started shortly before Kaladesh but right now it feels like Gideon: the Vehicling
Mummies and delicious brown girls

>How is that Mountain even a mountain?
Are you new to MTG?

The amount of stupid shit you said regardless of textual posturing is pretty fantastic.

>Sunny Side Up
fuck off mtgtop8

Best deck is sunny side up, deserves to be unbanned.

Playing g/w panharmonicon infinite

Metagame is trash, I enjoyed theros more.

Hoping for a Pithing needle reprint and to bring back transmute.

How is the draft scene for aether revolt?

GR energy
It sucks. Feels too much like modern, therefore I play poison-less infect.
dual colored Devotion decks. No gods. Only high priest legionaries that worship Bolas. Fluffwise? A return of old walkers.

>5 color bring to light
>literally playing 6 fumigates in a agro meta

Mulligan for 2 removal spells.

>all this negative space
>all this sky
>all this same color
>all those staves
>and one bow and arrow
>no bolas horns in the background

What the fuck WoTC? I feel like the last *real* mtg set was BFZ.

The imagination is dead.

>not!Thoth
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/smite.gamepedia.com/6/68/Thoth_laugh_3.ogg
Every fucking time I will play him or win a game with him I will use his smite laugh

>the last one staff

>BFZ was a *real* set

>No bolas horns
Look in Croc's horizon
We already have the horns on the fullart lands, even more could be overusing them
That said, beside the crane, I find the designs to be too tame