What is your favorite type of fantasy/sci-fi world/setting Veeky Forums?

What is your favorite type of fantasy/sci-fi world/setting Veeky Forums?

I like science fantasy of all stripes from the Thundarr the Barbarian/John Carter of Mars aesthetics to ultra modern looking. I see no difference between super science and magic thanks in part to growing up with Mage: The Ascension not to mention you have guys like Dr. Doom who essentially embodies this sort of thing having a super scientist dad and a scorercer gypsie mom and he uses both to great effect.

Very spooky monsters, things Generally going down hill, fancy ornate armor, potential hope exists

I'm a huge fan of settings that involve ruins from previous ages that people discover and wonder about, maybe build on top of. Lots of mystery to it.

Points of Light is also really fun, because it's got so much room for adventure. A dangerous world that people are struggling to get by in. Something with a lot of space where adventurers can make a degree of sense.

Combining the two is pretty much the bomb.

For a bit of dissonance, I also love for the aesthetic to be somewhat low-fantasy comfy, though there's one thing that's high-fantasy-ish that I just unabashedly love: high-fantasy architecture. Giant castle complexes, floating islands, massive dungeons, shit like that.

bmup

A grimdark far future where there is only war.

Very mild science-fantasy (heavy skew towards fantasy) with ancient ruins, petty kingdoms and a limited pantheon of deities.

I actually really like Minecraft's world, what little we know of it, at least.

Space fantasy based equally on magitech and futuretech with armed knighthoods, militant activists and criminal gangs.
Easiest to create campaigns for and most enjoyable for everyone

I like Borgesian magical realism.

I, too, once admired such architectures of the mind, until my fantasy-mind split off from my reason-mind and quietly undermined the consistency of the latter's reality. Now I surf on the chans of the four, awaiting redemption.

so og innistrad

Eberron

You're a cheeky bugger, I'll tell you what.

Low tech.
High magic.
Tons of factions.

>Science Fantasy

STOP
Science Fantasy is not a genre. Stop spewing this bullshit.

I like lived-in universes, being dropped in and having things nonchalantly come up that I don't immediately understand. Leaves me room to wonder.
I like ancient civilizations, mystery, science masquerading as magic, and other "incredibly advanced" tropes, again, something to discover.
I like there to be rules, I like death to be permanent. I like ballistics over lasers, I like FTL where you stay "in" this universe but just go really fucking fast rather than "subspace" or Slipspace sub-realities.

>your favorite

As in your favorite from a selection of fantasies/sci-fi worlds/settings conceived by other people, or your favorite from your very own fantasy/sci-fi world/setting that you've come up?

Science Fantasy is probably one of the oldest forms of speculative fiction
So why don't you take your autistic no fun allowed bullshit somewhere else

no.

I like medieval fantasy but I really don't like the style of fantasy in most video games and PnP games/settings, where it's just modern society with a 'ye olde' paint of coating, but I'm also not a fan of shit like Game of Thrones were the "realism" is just making everything as shit and grimdark as possible.

I like stuff which could actually be called realistic, with feudal systems and references to how people in ye olde times actually lived, but quite heavily romanticised and given a less realistic, fairytale sort of vibe.
>'Knight' actually means a landholder and isn't just a synonym for soldier, but the knights are all chivalrous as fuck
>Peasants are quite poor but live picturesque, jolly lives in cute villages with fétes
>Religion is a very powerful, controlling force but most priests and religious folk are actually well intentioned, kindly people

At the same time I like there being some grey morality to keep things interesting, but it does apply to absolutely *everything.* There's still horrifying monsters, murderous barbarians, ancient eldritch evils, etc., and maybe the world as a whole is actually quite a fucked and dangerous place outside of a few safe, prosperous kingdoms, but people still *try* to be good and fight back the darkness.

And all wizards have pointy hats.

>but it does apply to absolutely *everything.*
But it DOESN'T apply to absolutely *everything,* I mean. Woops.

Like, a good deal of the villains might still have reasonable motivations or goals, a lot of the heroes aren't flawless mary sues, etc., but it's still possible to draw a line between good and evil.

Hell yeah, I love that Arthurian legend type shit.

Not that contrarian, but how is John Carter Science Fantasy?
All of it's assumptions about how Mars would work "scientifically" are pure made up fantasy without a shred of scientific observation to back them up. It's all complete fantastical conjecture based on visually looking at Mars through crappy early 20th century telescopes.

And many of his adversaries wield what is for all intents and purposes, magic. They don't really try to explain shit.

Yes, it's set on a planet in our solar system, but plenty of fantasy has been set on Earth. Plopping it on Mars surely doesn't make it "science fantasy"?

John Carter of Mars is my favorite thing in the universe.
This is my second favorite thing in the universe.

I would love to run a game where the players are Barsoomian knights crusading against the green skinned menace and looting ancient cities.

Most of the "Knights Perilous" of the Arthurian myths were simply being dicks for the sake of dickery. Few if any of them had a complex motivation besides wanting some girl or treasure really bad, but most of them were just assholes.

Arthur's times were apparently the Golden Age of murderhobos, and then later they are updated to be a bunch of Christ fanatics on the lookout for the Grail.

John Carter of Mars is a Planetary Romance/ Sword and Planet, which is a sub-genre of Science Fantasy along with Dying Earth and some Post-Apocs. Stop being a bitch.

Now THIS, this is epic Science-Fantasy.

Neil Gaiman and I can't recommend this enough.
Hugo Award winning back when it meant something.
Same author as the Amber series. (I consider this better).

I thought you made that up. Then I checked, and have to admit your correct.
I wasn't aware that asking a legitimate question was "being a bitch" here.

Fantasy > soulsborne / Berserk

Sci-fi > Alien(s) and the like

It's a shame Berserk has switched genres post Griffith's new capitol.

I like to base my campaings in natural/logical development of civilizations around fantasy-grand-scale landscapes, more than to base them on cosmic conflicts or ancient wars

Mega flora + mega fauna + colossal scale landscapes

e.g.
Donkey Kong Country
Zendikar

All the civilizations we know to exist have been molded by a combination of Natural Environment, Theological Beliefs, and Resource Availability and the wars/conflicts fought for control of them.

or basically
1. Where are we?
2. How did all this good shit get here?
3. How can I keep a lot of it for myself and my offspring?

Hey that's some neat Space Dandy artwork

For fantasy, definitely 70s-style high fantasy stuff ("album cover" fantasy)

For sci-fi I'd go with the sort of working-class grittiness of stuff like Alien. I like the idea of guys flying around in huge spaceships wearing denim jackets and Hawaiian shirts

So, Arthurian fantasy?

Well, what I meant is I tend to approach wold building precisely by first building the terrain and the resources, but I tend to always go for the big scale things. So, if I want to make a dark fantasy setting, first I try to explain how everything went to shit based on the resources available and the conflics to get them.

I actually know very little about King Arthur and have never read a single story to do with that mythos. My interest is more in 14th/15th century stuff and the 'setting' of King Arthur seems to be pretty consistently older than that.