Amonkhet General

New Amonkhet General - Shitty Gideon Art Edition

Previous thread:
What are you most excited for? For me it's two things. Number one is that Gideon will be more in the spotlight. Love that guy. Number two is that we'll get a new cycle of gods. Can't wait to see them. Nicol Bolas appearing again is also pretty cool but that's more of an Hour of Devastation thing if we can go by booster pack artwork. Also mummies as zombies!

Look at that garbage artwork for Gideon. Do they even know what their own characters are supposed to look like? How old is he in the lore? 30? 60? I can't tell when looking at all his artworks.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2014/1/14/5306658/20th-century-fox-developing-magic-the-gathering-movie-series
nerdreactor.com/2016/07/25/sdcc-2016-talking-kaladesh-and-mtg-movies-with-mark-rosewater/
magiccards.info/fut/en/31.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He's an ambiguously Mediterranean man of an ambiguous age, to appropriately cover as many demographics as possible.

At least the Egyptians look like Egyptians rather than going for the WE WUZ KANGZ route.

FUCK
I only now realized why Gideon has new armor.
His old one got fucked up by the gearhulk and destroying the planar bridge and he can't just waltz over to Alara to get a new one.

MOORED.COM
>hes Mediterranean therefor he must be an Arab rape baby

Oh shit, you're right.

So, in other news, now that Gideon is a human bullet and Chandra went full spirit bomb, what other pop culture memes can we degrade the jacetice league down to? Besides the obvious superhero gimmick.

What Commander triggers your autism, Veeky Forums? Personally I can't stand pic related.

Lynch Maro. Lynch the Gatewatch.

Stay classy, Veeky Forums

lol, fucking hell.
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2 art in the leftmost mid iirc looks like some Bruce Willis meets Hugh Jackman shit.
His Gideon Jura (first planeswalker card) art looks bleak as fuck, like he's outta Game of Thrones. I never imagined him becoming the shlickbait he is now.
Seems like they de-aged him for that purpose increasingly toward RTR block.
With Magic Origins they had an excuse to show him even younger, and overshot his present day youthfulness in the BFZ and other promotional art. The Amonkhet art now looks like they're being a bit corrective.
They can't decide if they want him to be a dilf or He-Man or a student pro athlete on a cereal box so they went with all of the above.

First I thought he was the Superman to Jace's Batman but now I think he's both John Cena and Roman Reigns to Jace's I don't even know what.

>They give Gideon a kilt to allow him freeballing while they won't let Liliana have some fucking sandals.
I still mad.

is that way

>nigga doesn't know class

>being this obsessed with an irrelevant form of etiquette on a Mongolian shadow puppetry website

I hope the Crocodragon is good, thats all I need.

This, I want an excuse to always be looking at that sexy art

They could've at least just given him mostly Greek traits because he's from NOTgreece after all, right? I think the main problem is that they're flip flopping on his age, that really affects how he looks; though to be fair they couldn't even pick one group of generic traits and keep them consistent so whatever.

I actually kind of like this artwork for him desu. My appreciation for the sideboob aside, I like it because his skin tone seems darker rather than looking like a white guy with a tan and I feel like he altogether looks more definitively Greek? His features seem more defined, and he looks older in the battle-worn kind of way which I think is appropriate to his character by this point. Partially because I don't know his official age I can't really decide whether I think he looks too old, though.

lol at the artist fucking up his beard. Or does that constitute character development for WotC?

I fucking hate mono X artifact decks. Hate playing against them hate what they stand for

So are the Gatewatch just going to be in every set from now on or what?

Yes.

Yup. Gotta market that movie deal with Fox. They want well- known, identifiable characters so the movie can sell well.

Jace is going to use some time manipulation to train.

Well the new planeswalker duel decks are Gideon vs. Liliana, so there's gonna be some in-fighting. Hopefully Bolas smashes a new asshole into them in Hour of Devastation. The bad guy hasn't won since what, Scars of Mirrodin?

You can say Nahiri won in SOI block, as she got what she wanted at the end.

Nahiri is just a cunt. Emrakul was the villain.

Jesus, is the film going to be based around an adventure of the Gatewatch?

That means Gideon will be the main character, played by Hugh Jackman or some shit, and he'll have a rocky relationship with Chandra until he makes out with her with his indestructibility aura up to chill her blazing cunt from exploding everyone.
It'll be X-Men 3 all over again.

Heliod kills Elspeth in surprise villainous sort of fashion.
Magic Origins didn't really have a villain. Arguably everyone went through something difficult and unresolved to get their spark.

BFZ is where we start seeing the good guys win, and it's been going for 3 blocks now.
Hour of Devastation may provide the anal cave-in the Gatewatch has been needing.

Also in Khans block the bad guy won depending on your perspective. I think the good guys won.

Boy, so i have links for you

google.com/amp/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2014/1/14/5306658/20th-century-fox-developing-magic-the-gathering-movie-series

I hope this one works (mobilefag) but it's the most clear and concise article about the movie info.

>Twentieth Century Fox reportedly finalized a deal to acquire the screen rights to the game from Hasbro with the intention of turning the property into a movie series.

>Fox writer and producer Simon Kinberg is attached to the project and will work with Hasbro executives to oversee the movie series' development. Kinberg has worked as producer and screenwriter on Sherlock Holmes, X-Men: The Last Stand and producer on Elysium.

>Wizards of the Coast president Greg Leeds and Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner will be involved in "production capacities," while Daniel Persitz will oversee to the project on behalf of Hasbro.

Also
nerdreactor.com/2016/07/25/sdcc-2016-talking-kaladesh-and-mtg-movies-with-mark-rosewater/

Interview with MaRo on the story of MtG from Origins forward.

Hence ambiguously Mediterranean rather Greek.

He could be North African, he could be Turkish, he could be Greek, he could Spanish. His skin is tan, his facial features aren't entirely Caucasian so who knows what the fuck he is?

>Kinberg has worked as producer and screenwriter on Sherlock Holmes, X-Men: The Last Stand and producer on Elysium
>producer and screenwriter on Sherlock Holmes, X-Men: The Last Stand, and
>Sherlock Holmes, X-Men: The Last Stand
>X-Men: The Last Stand
>X
>Men
>The Last Stand

Oh dear god I was kidding...

...maybe it won't be bad. Maybe. :(

Not so much a commander as a type of deck. But I can't stand lazy "tribal" decks that are literally just a pile of cards from the same tribe with zero real synergy. There's a guy who made that awful thopter tribal everyone was memeing about when Hope of Ghirapur was spoiled. The deck is awful, even with the same generic artifact "synergy" in every deck with an artifact subtheme.

Magic Origins was a Core Set that featured the five walkers with their planes and backgrounds, the whole set was built that way (Renowned, each archetype was connected to a plane, the artifact subtheme, spell mastery)

>the new planeswalker duel decks are Gideon vs. Liliana
Wait what
So is pic related really gonna become a thing?

Emrakul also got what she wanted. She possessed Tamiyo in order to trap herself because Innistrad wasn't ripe enough to be cleansed.

As much as I like Sarkhan, ending was shit. I got over it quickly because cards were bonkers and fun.

The fact that Innistrad's story just STOPPED after that part still pisses me off to no end.

Wait is this fucking real? Emmy trapped herself on purpose?

That's fucking stupid.

No, walkers always look different but somehow every BFS ally looked the same even when some were humans and some were kor.

No. That user was retarded and meant to say that the planeswalker starter decks are Liliana and Gideon, not the duel deck (which I'm not sure we know yet; are they even still making duel decks?).

Nissa v Ob was so shit they may as well not be. If they continue the next two should be Amonkhet tribe vs Amonkhet Tribe then Kaladesh walker vs Kaladesh walker.

>are they even still making duel decks
The answer to that question and any other question regarding spoilers or future content is to not give a fuck until it comes out.

In a week we'll all be shitting ourselves over Modern Masters 3 spoilers and posting wishlists and shit like that when the reality is:
- most of us aren't going to buy it
- it's literally all reprints
- it's going to mostly be shit reprints
- shills working for Wizards or just simply retarded players whom are solely to blame for why Masters products are such garbage are going to proclaim that they're going to buy it

And the decks for Kaladesh were Nissa and Chandra, dude

Because the KLD duel decks showed us that epic fight between nissa and chandra when chandra was hugging gideon then nissa walked in with a plate of cookies.

Yeah, Nissa or Tammy (I forget which) started crying to Jace about Emmy mind-fucking them. also makes a solid point, I want to see Innistrad adapt to all those mutated eldrazi hybrid creatures. Unless they all dropped dead making the entire "reality warping" thing less impactful.

>innistrad adapts to the eldrazi
>everything in nature is a now killing machine to rival the eldrazi
>this causes the ecosystem to rebalance
>humanity now realies zombies and spirits creating a new church
>completely new vampire families rise up to rival the necromantic church, worshipping the stone that holds sorin
Shit or not?

Pretty much the plan to put Emmy in the moon was going south until Tammy got controlled and brought out that one scroll she shouldn't use which Emmy somehow changed to not destroy the Plane and just trap her into the moon.

Nissa was complaining about not being able to Nuke Emrakul because the Leylines were wack and Innistrad is just too horrifying that Nissa doesn't want to deal with it.

Not shit

Is that Yolandi Visser?

I wan't nissa to try and talk to the plane, then get mindraped because of this being a artifical plane that bolas made

Yes.

no, it's Yolandi Fucking Visser

Will there be full art lands in amonkhet?

No.

Have you not read through this thread?

>Amonkhet Basic Lands
>Finally, we announced full-art basic lands as part of some in-store promotions last week, but that's not the only place you'll find them—you can also get them in Amonkhet booster packs! Full-art basic lands will appear in approximately one out of every four boosters and will be available in other products as well.

>check through the thread to make sure this guy wasn't and idiot
>no one posted the full art
Come on guys

>suddenly a picture for ants

so are these going to be in the fat packs like zendikar?

25% of the lands will be full art

people like full art lands
>gouge
:'(

They look nothing alike though

BUY MORE BOOSTERS!!!!!!!

BUT I DONT EVEN WANT THE CARDS IN THE SET SO I HAVE TO BUY THE LANDS FROM SOME CUNT ON EBAY OR FROM SOME OTHER CUNT
zendikar 2.0 for overpriced 2nd market bullshit once again

>Nissa tries to hippie the plane's green mana
>Plane goes all Grixis lives matter bitch reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I really hope bolas wins. Not only because I hate the avengers, but it's the last bit bad mtg has left other than phyrexia.
It will be pretty fucking lame if yet again a monstrous power is defeated by friendship. Also a big kick in the teeth to an iconic and OG villain.

how are we supposed to take serious bolas if the gatewatch destroyed the eldrazi with friendship

I still like the Willis Gideon and Travolta Sorin the most.

Jacetice League was a mistake.
2 sets a block was a mistake.
Blocks and Planes having individual, nearly completely separate stories were perfect, and 3 sets per block was perfect. First set established the setting, 2nd set was rising action, 3rd set was climax and conclusion.

Now we've got a band of Mary Sues and Gary Stus running around solving all the Multiverse's problems with nothing standing in their way. The individual planes' stories are left by the wayside as once-great old enemies are brought back just to be easily dealt with (Eldrazi, Tezzeret) and because of said Mary Sues and Gary Stus there's no need for Wizards to put effort into new characters to make them likable or relatable because Jace "Wizards' Lightning" and his band of friends can solve everything with a flick of the wrist.

The Eldrazi were supposed to be cosmic horrors well beyond the capability of any mortal to comprehend, much less defeat. Sorin, Nahiri, and Ugin, three of the oldest and strongest Walkers ever, had to team up just to trap them temporarily on a plane because they couldn't (Sorin and Nahiri) or didn't want to (Ugin) destroy them outright.
But noo, Wizards just goes and turns Nissa from literally Elf Hitler (best version of Nissa) into a generic elementalist mage who deus-ex-machina bound non-planar entities to a physical form on a plane (even though it was originally expressly stated that the forms they had on the plane were mere representative avatars of their true forms and power, and if killed would just reform because their true bodies and consciousnesses resided purely in the Blind Eternities) and Chan-dere was able to burn them to ash because lol-rage powered by said deus-ex-machina-Nissa.

This isn't even beginning to mention the problems with Shadows over Innistrad or Kaladesh.

/rant

>2 sets a block was a mistake.
>First set established the setting, 2nd set was rising action, 3rd set was climax and conclusion.

3 set blocks almost unilaterally had a dud set. RnD either held all their cool shit for the final set and had a really mediocre second set, or blew their load immediately and had really forgettable final sets.

In theory the 2 set system should work, but now they just have all the cool stuff in the first set and pretty mediocre stuff in the second one. Shadows worked but that was almost two different blocks.

Depends on the reprints desu. If they have good ones then it will hopefully increase their presence on the secondary market - so I will buy singles inb4 path at rare and snapcaster at mythic, hiking the price up to 100 buckos.

That being said I always buy a box of a new set to draft with friends if the limited environment seems fun, shoot me.

pic related reminder
If Wizards would just grow some balls and fucking reprint expensive cards at lower rarities and higher printing numbers (or ban them more often and faster) then more new players would be able to get into the formats. Not everyone is willing to drop hundreds of dollars on a deck, especially when most consider it a hobby they spend spare money on, not entire paychecks.

Tarm should've been a normal Rare every time it's been reprinted, but because collectors shitting themselves over its value hound at Wizards any time a possible reprint is hinted at, Wizards always pussies out.

Sometimes when I drink too much and collapse from exhaustion, I have feverish dreams of wizards reprinting all the fetchlands at uncommon in MM17. Think of how much it would solve at once. I understand being willing to pay upwards of 10 bucks for a cool, impactful card that plays a key role in a deck's strategy - but not upwards of 20 for a bland fucking land that is essential to even make a deck function.

KtK fetches are fin though only Zen needs a reprint

"fine" is a relative term. Sure, compared to Zendikar fetches they are alright. But they still cost 10-20 dollars a piece afaik, which is a big barrier of entry for new players into modern and even """""frontier""""". I will remind you that these are not some sorts of busted chase cards that form archetypes around them but just basic pieces which are essential for any modern deck to be considered playable.

Of course, if given the choice, Zendikar fetches direly need a reprint over Khans ones, but in an ideal world both would be widely available.

This, however, is not the entire solution. I can imagine fetches' prices tanking causing a substantial influx of new players into modern, which would in turn increase demand for other staples and make them climb even further. To solve the problem wizards need to either:

>Systematically and regularly reprint staples. Getting rid of the core sets was the second biggest mistake they've ever made.

Or, alternatively

>Significantly increase the diversity and power level of new sets instead of whining "muh limited" - enough to encourage creation of new archetypes or phasing out of old staples or both.

>10-20
The highest one is 14 bucks last time I checked and fetches are used in more than just modern + they have a high demand.

I always figured Jason Mamoa would be Gideon in the movie.

Technically, every eldrazi spawn is just part of the Eldrazi titan, so the eldrazified creatures are just a part of Emrakul afterwards. They might make noises but they're not individual beings anymore. With Emrakul's mind in an inter-dimensional prison or whatever the fuck the moon is the spawn should die.

I also get that the Eldrazi went down pretty anticlimactically for how they were built up but honestly narratively speaking that kinda had to be the Gatewatch's win.

The Eldrazi were more or less just kaiju with pretensions of Cthulu tacked on. They were remembered for being big badass monsters at the end of Zendikar block, but they didn't really have any of the history or lore the other two big threats represented. They are big and scary and eat planets and it turns out the guy who came up with the plan that trapped them was likely perfectly capable of killing them millennia ago but had his own reasons not to.

One of the three major threats they'd built up needed to be the starter villain for the current narrative arc and it made sense to bin the kaiju people (including the writers) were much less invested in than Bolas or Phyrexia as the stepping stone and then quickly follow through on the "that got you together, but you just got lucky you survived" thing by having the next threat be Bolas delivering a devastating defeat to the new hero team.

Sure, they are. I am not even talking about Legacy because fetches tanking would not reduce the barrier of entry in any meaningful way.

>muh nissa
I just want elf titties.

You and me both, my fampai.

>Travolta Sorin
No. Just no.

Is he ever coming back?

Hopefully. I would like to see him as a Bolas slave for a while, smashing face, hunting planeswalkers. Maybe get a redemption arc a few years down the line.

I just want him running around in Amonkhet hunting Planeswalkers and trying to kill the Gods

His time will come. They didn't set him up to be the most powerful neowalker that wasn't originally an oldwalker for nothing, I'm thinking.

I have never actually heard collectors pipe up about how the value of their collections are in jeopardy. And were they to do so, I imagine they would be immediately crucified because there sure as fuck are more people angry at them then they exist in number.

I agree with you for the most part.

>>Significantly increase the diversity and power level of new sets instead of whining "muh limited" - enough to encourage creation of new archetypes or phasing out of old staples or both.
I don't think we can have fresh staples. I think we've actually reached "peak power" or at least as much power/value as we are willing to go. We can't let the power creep beyond Goyf (Grim Flayer comes fucking close though) nor can answers like Bolt or Path get any better - especially Bolt. We could arguably introduce Swords into Modern; it's not like any deck wants more than 4 of that effect. Printing better variants like Birds/Hierarch seems kinda useless and you can only hope that they don't print something better than Farseek/Rampant Growth.

I think where value can to be pushed is the mana costs of cards. You take all those fucking useless 5-7 cost non-creature spells and you drop them down to like 2-mana. Just print a reckless number of Pyromancer's Ascension-like cards to the point that Naturalize and Negate become solid sideboard cards again.

Both he and Elspeth fill that role.

Gold masked undead BW Elspeth when

>undead BW Elspeth
Please no.
I want our lord and saviour back as the pure White she always was.
Do not let her be defiled by the tainted mana of the Underworld and Undeath.

>tainted mana of the Underworld and Undeath.
Black isn't tainted! It's just powerful and misunderstood.

Not while DACK FAYDEN GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE IS THERE TO STEAL EREBOS' TREASURE.

It's spelled erebor, master bilbo.

Seht's Tiger reprint y/n?

magiccards.info/fut/en/31.html

Elspeth is going to be Samurai Jack, she'll just keep walking the underworld until she finds her way out.

Just kidding, Wizards is going to fuck with her colors and personality because corruption sells like hotcakes and strength of character doesn't.

I'd take Travolta Sorin over the weird looking Grim Nemesis Sorin.

Real question is who wins? The Beast Caller or the Knight-Errant?

I swear to god Metzen you should have killed yourself a decade ago.