So, NASAs big reveal for today wad that they found a star system with 7(!) earth-like planets just 40 ly away...

So, NASAs big reveal for today wad that they found a star system with 7(!) earth-like planets just 40 ly away. I don't know about you, but this really spikes my imagination. Also Trappist-1 seems also be the system J.J. Abrams locate his movies.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)
m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4399822
cnn.com/2012/07/02/opinion/nye-planets-exploration/
youtube.com/watch?v=o2MgG6KhO1E
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_resonant_cavity_thruster
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's pretty neat.I really wish the public interest was greater in regards to space research. So many people just seem disinterested

>that many earth like planets so close
Once world war 3 ends, the renewed space race begins

I guess the interests rise when the old mudball becomes too hot for comfort.

But on topic: a far future scifi setting located on Trappist-1 coukd be pretty neat, where party could hop on planet to planet without pesky ftl. Could even be "fantasy" setting.

But user, you can't fly a rocket that's made out of rocks and sticks.

Finally we can start the Age of Sail in space!

They have very short years, too. Must be quite stromboscopic when you add planetary rotation.

If the quantum propulsion drives design can be improved to lessen heat production and increase thrust might be able to do a trip within a lifetime

Fucking underrated post.

NASA said we will know their atmospheric composition by 2020.

Will we know if they have life or not?

As soon as start receiving radio signals.

Cheeky cunts like you are the reason I stay on Veeky Forums.

Can make educated guesses from atmosphere contents.

At the rate we're going, we won't be able to even get anywhere near these planets, let alone actually start mining the asteroid belt in 75 years.
My life-long dream is practically dead at this point.

Look on the bright side, computer technology improves every day do its only a matter of time until you can become an AI construct. Then 75 years will be an instant.

Even then, all I could would to just upload a copy of myself to some database.
That copy could probably acomplish my dream for me but even then, I would still like to see it through myself.

But you can make one powered by nuclear bombs.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

You know nothing.

That engine seems very environmentally unfriendly.

obama killed nasa and turned it into a global warming propaganda machine. its not like there are dozens of other agencies that could have done it instead

trump hasnt talked to much about it i think but at the very least hes not anti nasa like obongo. plus space shit normally is seen as very American and patriotic and would fit right in with MAGA

Eh, I'd say it's not that bad. FINALLY we see some development of rockets that can get something useful to mars, and there are more and more talks about reusability. Maybe not space mining, but I'm optimistic for mars landing in 10-20 years.

so THAT's why nasa was sending all the probes to the outer solar system. Great.

If anything, lack f progress by NASA comes to Shuttle being a shit program with no capabilities beyond LEO and SLS being a fucking joke and pork for congress. And lack of funding since the '70s.

i dont know if you think i was joking or something but obama made global warming shit an official focus for nasa

Well of course that project was devised by a fucking Russian, who else would it be?

Why would Obama have an agency that works with satellites and other high tech gadgetry and that is intimately concerned with energy efficiency study global warming and alternative energy?

Goddamn libtards.

My god, it literally has brain cells in the single digits.

well apparently part of the reason is because its really easy to get funding for global warming "research", and its really easy to do that "research" so i guess at least some at nasa liked doing it

also have to wonder how full nasa is with diversity hires now

Propaganda? It's a fact that the earth is warming. A decade ago, two decades ago, this was consensus.
People denied the existence of it then, and they were wrong.
Now, people are denying the cause, because the effects can no longer be ignored. Do not stick your head in the sand and scream "propaganda".
Get informed, and follow the people doing repeatable research and scientifc investigation, not the people who lie and swindle for reelection. That goes for both sides of the aisle.

Laying it too deep, friendo.

who else would know how to operate the satellites used to measure this stuff?

Personally, I blame the air force for requiring NASA to use the space shuttle design.

I wonder if part of the reason might also be that they have satellites to study the atmosphere and how it is trapping the sun's energy and also they can measure observe the weather on earth? I wonder if that has something to do with it...

Nah. It's definitely just politics.

since i assume youre a faggot liberal. here have a faggot liberal article that even talks about it
m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4399822

the alarmist bullshit is propaganda and has been going on for decades. no one doubts that the earth is warming. people disagree on what should be done about it and how much people contribute to it

oops wrong link. one sec. earth science got cuts too but so did space and the earth budget is bigger now

cnn.com/2012/07/02/opinion/nye-planets-exploration/

>i wonder if politicians do things for political reasons

really makes me think

Every night you go to bed you die and a slightly different copy of you wakes up in your body. Your consciousness is not special, nor unique, nor touched by the grace of God. It is a pattern. Everything you perceive yourself to be is a pattern. So long as that pattern exists, so do you. A machine copy of your pattern is still your consciousness.

The difference is continuity.

>make multiple copies of self
>control them all simultaneously with my one consciousness because we all have the same pattern

yeah no. youre a fucking idiot

That's not how it works, though.

Somebody post that one Ronnie comic about mind uploading.

check this shit out
A view from the middle of the system:
youtube.com/watch?v=o2MgG6KhO1E

you could possibly see weathersysystems on the other planets from the surface. for some of these planets, their sisters are the size of the moon or larger at some times in the orbit.

The orbital periods are seriously swift, and I can't help but imagine a pantheon of dietys that are always dancing in the heavens, the politics of the gods take place on the ballroom floor.

This system... I would have shrugged it off in any sci-fi as plausible but unbelivable in the end. I'm so fucking stoked right now.

Furthermore, the dwarf star is super cool, and gives off mainly IR light, which does not penetrate water. So if there is life, it may not even have eyes for allong ass time because the IR light would not be all that useful in the deeper sea. But in the shallow areas you could still have IR eyes I supose... still, Holy fuck. the alien life here would be out of the fantasy books!

and if they can see, and if they make radios... their first contact could be just across the void. The first 'manned' mission to another object in space may have to be one way, with reentry in mind and sacrificial studying to be done.

what's also kinda cool is that these planets may kinda suck for human life. Kinda good, but not an easy set up for self sustaining. but for life that developes there, they love that kinda planet, and may be unable to take ours. So we could prefer different living situations and be able to not fuck each other over as much

Your train of thought ceases to exist beyond random impulses when you sleep. Continuity of thought and mind doesn't even exist for the entirety of our biological lives. Why should it matter for a synthetic one?
And you're reaching because that's not what I said.

Mass extinctions are commonplace in the history of our planet. The human race will be destroyed in an apocalyptic environmental event before sustainable life off-world is feasible

>Your train of thought ceases to exist beyond random impulses when you sleep. Continuity of thought and mind doesn't even exist for the entirety of our biological lives. Why should it matter for a synthetic one?

My brain is still my brain. If you could create a perfect copy of yourself, the two would still be different in a fundamental level, because one is the original and the other is not.

>identical minds are the same entity
>implying they wouldn't diverge immediately

7 planets in the godlilock zone with water in the same solar system? damn

But don't worry, the First Order is going to blow them up in one go.

>Your train of thought ceases to exist beyond random impulses when you sleep. Continuity of thought and mind doesn't even exist for the entirety of our biological lives. Why should it matter for a synthetic one?
Lack of concious thought != break in continuity

By Earthlike, do they mean similar in size to Earth and in the Goldilocks Zone?

Cause Mars is technically Earthlike by that definition but we'd need to crash Phobos and Deimos into its surface and wait a while before being able to really colonize it.

A while, he says.

> obama killed nasa and turned it into a global warming propaganda machine.

Don't forget about the shilling of "Islamic Science." We Wuz Scientists N' Shieet.

For the record, the so-called Islamic Golden Age happened despite Islam. And was way more Persian than Arabian.

we just need to knights of sidonia our way there. or

1. capture tiny black hole and put it in orbit around earth to use as energy
2. slingshot earth out of the solar system and onto a trajectory to intercept this new system
3. 50,000 years later we get to the tiny loli system at last

see? easy.

Understatement is my specialty.

these crack pots think that there is no reason at all to study earth it'self when looking to the stars to find earth like planets. you can get oodles and oodles of information for dozens of causes when you study the shit that these satellites are studying

Big fucking deal, we will never get to go to them or even see them up close anyways.

>loli system
more like a shortstack MILF system. this place is STACKED as FUCK

Even if we somehow found a way to travel at a fraction of light speed (say 1/100th). Wouldn't it take like 20K years to reach this system?

Feels like such a hopeless endeavor for us unless we found some miraculous warp tech while digging mars or some shit.

>Trappist

Fuck now I want beer.

you dumb dirtlicking fucks. use this awesome discovery as fuel for your setting, for your games! try to find inspiration, not jsut the pitfalls of life!

time is relative so who cares. all we need is good stasis tech

>send a 0,01c colony ship for a 4000 year journey
>neighbourhood aliens send a 0,05c colonyship 1000 years later
>they've been there for millennia when your ship arrives and is promptly turned back

Feels bad man

We're never going to reach across the stars until we stop dumping resources trying to help Niggers and getting womyn into STEM. Among other things.

Space travel and colonization would go smoother if the world's population was purged of White Trash, Shaniquas, etc. And did all we could to crush Christianity and Islam.

Chill famalam, I already have a setting in mind using a star system exactly like this "gaia system" they supposedly found.
I was just bruteforcing reality for a little.

calm down Big E. shouldn't you be out uniting humanity instead of shitposting anyway?

Emps please you're still a few milenia away from manifesting.

You do know that most of the programming for the moon-landing was done by women, Right?

Guys, when did the EMPs ever propose killing all the non-whities of the humans? He don't give a fuck about color or genitals or shit. You live and dye for humanity, as a human, that's the end of the story.

Erm, hate to break it to you, user.....you got caught on the hollywood hype train.

Women should get into STEM because they're interested and capable, not because "MUH PATRIARCHY" and unequal treatment.

So where are all the non-white people in 40k? Even Salamanders are just whites in Blackface.

Oh, cool. Care to share some deets?

we know from the fact that no niggers made it to 40k
aslo the fact that whites are objectively the master race and emps was all about making men perfect

Hate to break it to you, user, You got caught up on the Revisionist hype train.

He didn't imply killing all non-whites tho.

>We Wuz Scientists N' Shieet

This isn't tumblr. And a few examples of women youncan trot out doesn't change that men have done the majority of actual advances for the actual sciences.

its implied that anyone interested in advancing the human race would need to take out the trash

he never talked about blinking either but we can assume he did

Inferior to the EM Drive, if the EM Drive is verified.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_resonant_cavity_thruster

And if we can ever manage to make it generate decent amounts of thrust.

that's down to GW not making any other kinda people in their product description because, funilly enough, most of GW through out the years has been white or offwhite in personal skintone and painted what they know.

and as for you, KKKaren, Characters through out BL and other Lore sources have black people, Asian people, Mongolian people, and every where inbetween. at least one of the primarchs was not white. Jaghatai Khan is explicitly a Genghis Khan in space.

The thrust observed in the test model was already far more efficient than solar sails, so we're getting there.

>Watching Hollywood and History Channel makes me an expert

Next you'll be saying Hannibal Barca was a Nigger.

It isn't though, while the Orion Drive works as long as you don't mind turning your launchpad into a parking lot made of glass. Or, you know, build and operate it entirely in space.

how sexy would that be man? Power to thrust and off to the races. Maybe we could have the Orion Drive as a boost out of the system? would it make sense to do that?

Would it be useful as a breaking system? could you use the orion to slow yourself down with out fucking yourself up by moving through it's area of effect?

You can so long as da gubbins meet the worky bitz.

>that whites are objectively the master race

East Asians.

>White Trash

I don't think you get how revolutionary the EM Drive is, if verified. It offers fuel efficiency completely outside what nuclear payloads can generate.

take your nigger shit somewhere else. why not play a game that caters to your kind instead of trying to shit up others?

Oh no, I get it, I'm just saying the Orion Drive works and we could build one right now if we just hand NASA several thousand nuclear warheads.

how about you list the achievements of east asians compared to whites? cheating on entrance exams doesnt make you superior

also on us based tests whites do better in math and sciences than asian americans

[citation needed]

I'm afraid YOU are the one revising history, sir: those women did not do what you claim.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have several thousand nuclear warheads to spare, with our current deterrence policy.

Also a huge problem with selling this to politicians is that the investment only pays off half a millenium later.

Funny, Because US based tests were made with white middle class Americans in mind. It's as if it'd favor that particular group!

How about you adjust that stick up your ass, Joe Goebly and realize your hobby has representation for more than just the lily white and has for decades. sorry that it isn't such a safespace for your whiteknight dreams

I don't get it. Acting hyper racist on Veeky Forums isn't some kind of achievement. You also actively alienate whoever you're talking to and generally lower the level of discourse. On top of that, you aren't even properly formatting your posts.

Are you just trying to be a massive cunt?

And don't respond with "im just spreading the truth." Even Neo-Nazis have better sense than that.

the majority of whites are not middle class. do you think white people get handed money when they are born or something?

anyway since you avoided my achievements question i assume you realize youre wrong and youre just too embarrassed to admit it

The Cold War was the best thing to ever happen to mankind, because any crackpot could end his funding proposal to Congress with "give me money or the commies will win," and in six months he'd have his own personal section of the Mojave to make uninhabitable. If only we could convince our politicians that the answer to ISIS was doomsday weapons.

And so, another potentially good thread was ruined with political shit. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

They are stormfront wannabies, Loving every last inch of attention they get for their shitposting.
I bet these pansies have hardly the nerve to speak up in classes, just grumbling away to themselves waiting for a free period to get back online to upvote another T_D article.

ok ill just respond with go move to literally any black majority country on planet earth and have a good time

im a faggot phone poster

Found the tumblrina.

> Because US based tests were made with white middle class Americans in mind. It's as if it'd favor that particular group!

And yet Ashkenazi Jews, select Indian populations, and East Asians rival Whitey.

> How about you adjust that stick up your ass, Joe Goebly and realize your hobby has representation for more than just the lily white and has for decades. sorry that it isn't such a safespace for your whiteknight dreams

>ignoring demographics

It's a sad day for mankind when nothing can be for someone instead of everyone