Tricorn Fantasy

Been seeing a lot of 1700s/pirate threads lately. Hope the trend sticks around.

Favorite systems? Cool pics? Stories?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!9R8G2aQb!g-dZXkyCmkrljzH60tZEhQ
mega.nz/#!yUsT3Rha!BuybRzTkw8RDPVi4-ZOO8ZmzzZcf5qx-PtHuhT6-pjg
youtu.be/3-aLloTayno?list=PLUDgiuf9bw8hsZlU5wNm61DWmPdffYaLt
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ever heard of Innistrad?

Not OP, but its pretty damn good. Like Castlevania is set in the 18thC.

So whats better: an original fantasy world based loosely on IRL 18thC, or straightup real world with fantasy elements?

Real world, I'd say. A masquerade-style 18th century full of dueling wizards and court intrigue is just too good of an offer to resist.

Planning on giving this a go soon. It's a half wargame/half RPG with support for ship-to-ship battles and man-to-man skirmishes.
They also have a swashbuckler setting called By Savvy and Steel with a detailed dueling system, but I've got enough on my plate as is.

I could use some swashbuckler/pirate art since I need references for a character's clothes.
Also what's the exact name of these shirts?

I've got a couple of things.

Isn't a 'tricorn' just a unicorn with two extra horns?

>Been seeing a lot of 1700s/pirate threads lately. Hope the trend sticks around.

I do too. Muskets and Monsters is awesome. I think the pirate thing is Black Sails putting the first three seasons on Hulu.

>So whats better: an original fantasy world based loosely on IRL 18thC, or straightup real world with fantasy elements?

Depends, especially on how much fantasy you want. I lean to the "warhammer/7th Sea NOT!18thCEurope" for freedom of world building.

Any PDFs?

>Also what's the exact name of these shirts?

"21st century renfaire pyrate blouse". Its a mishmash of several shirt styles in one generic package.

As for the name of a period shirt, it would just be "shirt" or whatever language name, with variances based on whats done to it. "Collared shirt", "Gathered shirt" etc.

Here is a PDF of 18thC fashion

i own a gurps pirates book with a whole bit on rules for chandelier swinging.

ah, gurps.

Whats the book? Take a pic of the chandelier section please?

Awesome, thanks.

>Any PDFs?

Look under Black Powder. Also, under Free, you'll find Chain Reaction 2015, which is the base system that all THW games are derived from, it may be worth a look first before diving into Bottle of Rum.
mega.nz/#F!9R8G2aQb!g-dZXkyCmkrljzH60tZEhQ

No problem

Thanks, matey!

I like this guy, he looks like a fun dude to hang with.

Lots of focus on pirates... Lets get regal, and militant.

Happen to have one covering the mid and late 1800's?

And a space pirate just for the hell of it. I'm out of stuff.

>Unkempt blades
>Damaging the ship's lumbers
>Lazing about on deck
>Misstreating an improperly stowed powder barrel

0/10, would not sail. He deserves the lash, before being dumped at a foreign port.

Nothing that fits on Veeky Forums. Have a shameless selfpost though, with my leather doublebreast coat.

Don't get stuck on just pirate. 18thC, muskets and swords!

Oh well, mind posting more pics of pirates wearing shirts (and maybe vests)? Still looking for references.

Sure. The vest is called a waistcoat (ancestor of the doublet), and for 99% of society, if you were in nothing but a shirt, and were not immediately in an exertive task, you were considered undressed.

Shirts are literally an undergarment, to keep your outer garments clean from your body soil and sweat, much like your breeches (underwear).

Another thing worth mentioning is that pirates had no specific clothing identifiers, as that would be bad news for them.

A pirate is just a sailor who made bad life choices, and would dress as such. Slops/Venetian breeches/trousers, shirt, and a waistcoat (with or without sleeves), plus a practical hat or other headcovering.

>Another thing worth mentioning is that pirates had no specific clothing identifiers, as that would be bad news for them.
oh yes I remember this from school.
But yeah I'm favouring more of a shirt for my guy since his ship crashed and now he's in the year 2010

He'd make a killing in a tourist town.

Runequest/BRP/Renaissance

Runequest pirates, Renaissance, blood tide.

Also 7th Sea

Just saw a new Kickstarter for a game called LexOccultum. It's a game of flintlocks, occultism, mysteries and secret societies in the 18th century.

Don't forget Poison'd, and reskinning WHFRP.

Looks good. Sounds kinda like Khaos 1795. Still can't find an English PDF though.

Bump!

What are those not-pants leggings called? The tall white ones?

Ye olde rennfaire blouse.

Gaiters. They come in many colors, and both knee and a ankle height. They protect your lower leg and stockings, as well as keep rocks out of your shoes. Linen or cotton for the summer, wool or flannel for winter and leather for pathfinders and light horse men.

I wanna say, "leg sleeves", but that feels wrong somehow.

Cool. Ever since assassins creed 3 I've been wondering what the hell those things were the main character wore.

>"leg sleeves"
I mean, you're technically NOT wrong.

Damn, Gropey, thou be'st pandering fine, my Moorish brother

A gentleman should always dress as best he can.

17th century is more fun, but 18th is still pretty good.

Indeed

Both are fun for different purposes, but I don't work at a 17thC museum anymore. I spend most my personal money on late 15th/early 16th, and let the 18thC museum help fuel my 18thC hobby.

Pic is back when I worked in 17thC

I ran a year long campaign in all flesh must be eaten using the pirate sourcebook. Worked great, but the players were not ready for a less linear experience. Now we're back to my friend's railroad d&d campaign. *sigh*

>All Flesh Must Be Eaten
>Pirate source book

Ooh. Didn't know there was one.

Are thar be zombies. Works nicely, good rules for fencing, voodoo, and black powder. Actual ship to ship rules are a bit fiddly, I generally simplified things.

I hate clowns but Gropey seems to like everything I like.

My current project is converting toy pirate ships into serviceable pirate ships to the play fantasy pirate 28mm skirmish game Cutlass! with.

28mm scale ships combat.

Those will be some big ships. I assume you're not fitting a whole fleet on your table.

Awesome. Heard about it, but never tried it. How does it play?

You remember WHFB's ship to ship combat? Yeah, you're using full ships.

No one has mentioned Colonial Gothic yet?

>Remember whfb ship to ship?
Nope, only heard that was a thing last week.

>Full ships
Do you mean fleets? Because I said fleets. Fleets require many ships. 28mm scale ships would take up a decent amount of space. I can't see fitting more than 6 ish per side, with any real maneuvering space at that scale, unless the table is really big.

Probably because no one has ever posted a PDF

Ah, Indeed. I know I have seen pictures of pitched fleet games, as well as smaller lagoon battles with ships, boats and islands.

Well somebody has posted them, because I have all of them and I downloaded them from somewhere...

Here's the basic rulebook. You can probably find the rest in the Archive thread.

mega.nz/#!yUsT3Rha!BuybRzTkw8RDPVi4-ZOO8ZmzzZcf5qx-PtHuhT6-pjg

Does anybody have brp blood tide?

I've been wanting it for a long while but haven't found a rip of it anywhere.

Lets get out of this pirate rut the thread has found itself in with some American frontier aesthetic.

Bloodborne is a pretty notable modern piece of media with that style. People always lump it under 'Victorian' but the cover art guy is wearing a tricorn and much of the fashion is an informed by Georgian clothing as it is Victorian. There's three other tricorns in the game (Yharnam Hunter, Ashen Hunter, Maria's).

I like how in this one they look like they're having an argument in the middle of battle.

Actually in the process of creating a Pathfinder adventure in a Napoleonic setting with a strong focus on colonization as a backdrop and theme, and these are all rad. Thanks!

You rock! Thanks. Look awesome. Makes me think of the series "Jonathan Strange and Mister Norrel".

Speaking of which, I really think we should get a list of movies and books for worldbuilding put together.

My 2 guineas....

>Jonathan Strange and Mister Norrel (Series)
Gentleman occultists tapping into forbidden fae rights in the late 18th/early 19thC. Watch the netflix series. Really gets going at episode 2 and doesnt stop.

>City of Vice (Series)
A gritty and violent series following the first professional criminal investigators of Lodon in the 18thC. Its a rough series, so fair warning, the intro episode starts with children being sold into prostitution to feed the myth that fucking a virgin cures syphilis, and doesn't get any more light hearted.

>Perfume (Movie)
A man born with a perfect sense of smell distills beautiful women into a perfect perfume. Mindfuck of a movie.

>The Bros. Grimm (movie)
You know this one, I am sure.

>Quills
Geoffry Rush as the Marquis Du Sade in a dramatized story of his last days in an Asylum for the psychotic.

>Pirates of the Caribbean (movies)
Weird fantasy on the high seas. Stranger tides is the best.

Or just gentry in general. I really like the "fine dressed fop who can kill you" aesthetic.

Everyone knows Bloodborne and Innastrad.

These are all preNapolionic, but I get you. Its a criminally under used setting.

Now, you just need a better system.

No problem, man.

If you need anymore of this stuff, just google "Flintlock and Tomahawk", 's where I got all the rest of this junk.

>Favorite systems?
Pic related is real good. Also Runequest Renaissance.

Savage Worlds has a good book, GURPS has several. Don't care much for those systems but the material is solid.

On the note of settings, does Monster Blood Tattoo count?

It has Tricorns and it's Fantasy, at least.

I'd say so, got anymore stuff?

That looks pants on head retarded.

I reckon so.

It takes place a bit earlier than the Tricorn era, specifically the late renaissance, but 'Lamentations of the Flame Princess' can be easily modified for your purposes

>Speaking of which, I really think we should get a list of movies and books for worldbuilding put together.
for the American aspects of the setting, the comic Hillbilly is a good choice, as would be Hellboy: The Crooked Man(might be set in the 50's, but most of the important aspects of the story could easily be transported back to the general 17th and early 18th century vibe this thread is generally aiming for)

>general 17th and early 18th century
woops meant to say 18th and early 19th century, that was kinda a big gaffe on my part

Skull and Shackles adventure path for Pathfinder is aight.

>Hope the trend sticks around.

Honspider.jpg

Yeah, there are a couple of comics like that.

>A pirate is just a sailor who made bad life choices

Yes, it was like being transfered out of concentration camp into a Kibbutz. Worst choice ever.

Went to sleep before the thread picked back up.

It's got some decent looking illustrations

Temeraire

Thats the one about the Napoleonic Dragon's, right?

Yes. Only read the first one but it certainly fits the brief.

Anyone play Lace and Steel.

Media to watch to get inspiration

>Rob Roy
Young Cunningham here was unable to tell arse from quim
>The Musketeers
>Brotherhood of the Wolf

Iv'e always called them "poet shirts" after having to wear one in my highschool's performance of "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Abridged"

That dude fences like me! Refs don't like hands behind the back though

The last one is a bit crap, but they're consistently excellent up until then.

The Sea Hawk! Captain Blood! Other old swashbuckling movies! They aren't very historical at all, the fights are comical to anyone who knows how to fence, but their soundtracks alone make them wonderful.
youtu.be/3-aLloTayno?list=PLUDgiuf9bw8hsZlU5wNm61DWmPdffYaLt