Hear on the news that 7 new earth-like planets have been discovered 40 lightyears away where life might very well be...

>Hear on the news that 7 new earth-like planets have been discovered 40 lightyears away where life might very well be possible
>Decide to look up more information about them
>Discover (among other things) that these planets maintain the same 'angle' relative to their star, meaning that one side is constantly lit and one constantly dark
>The dark sides of these planets are too cold to sustain life (as well as lacking light for processes like photosynthesis) and the lit sides too hot, meaning that if there's any life present it would probably be in the 'twillight zones'
I don't think I've ever seen this in Sci-fi/Space opera games. Most of them seem to assume rotating planets with day and night cycles. What would life be like on a (relatively) 'stationary' planet where only a thin 'twillight' ring is inhabitable? How different would life (as well as flora and fauna) be compared to a day-night cycle planet like earth?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/DungeonTwilight
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

One thing I remember reading about is that in the absence of a day-night cycle humans stay awake for longer (36 hrs?) and then sleep for longer (12hrs?)

I'll just leave this here
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/DungeonTwilight

Did you even bother looking at the board's catalog, fuckwit?

To think, a thread died just so you could post a repeat.

>To think, a thread at the bottom of page 11 that hadn't been bumped for several hours died
Amazing diatribe, chumley.

Reminds me of an episode of Star Wars: Rebels where the planet they're on has native life that's very sensitive to light, and also is surrounded by an asteroid ring that causes mini-eclipses.

There are a number of science fiction stories and novels that deal with tidally locked planets, but video game designers and players don't read books, so none of that ever gets into the games.
Arthur C. Clarke wrote a couple, Larry Niven did some stuff in his Known Space, I believe Brian Lumley has a tidally locked world feature prominently in one of his novel series.

>video game designers and players don't read books
And here I thought that Veeky Forums was one of the "smart" boards on Veeky Forums. Looks like I played myself.

Oh I know there are exceptions, but as a book nerd for 40 years, most of 'em don't seem to know shit. Well, okay, I will admit that that might just be me having high standards for "knowing shit" concerning books

I'm bumping this thread just because you're a salty nigga.

If I recall correctly, one of the colonies in Foundation (Asimov) was tidal locked. It even had native life forms, though not very advanced.

Nah mans, Veeky Forums motherfuckers can't even read a rulebook for a game they're playing let alone go through a canonical exploration of scifi. Its not a generational thing, just that most people don't read much.

Videogames those days looks at other video games for inspiration. The medium is turned inwards itself

I think there is a planet like that in metroid prime 3
one side hot as hell and the other side an icebox

First, you need to read more sci-fi. Tidally locked planets show up a lot.

Second, the atmospheric temperature differences in the day and night side mean that there will be a constant cycle of storms that circle the equator, provided the planet has an Earthlike atmosphere.

Pretty sure two of the ciaphas Cain books are about this.

Hey OP, did you know that Earth's Moon is Tidally Locked with the Earth?

Even 40k has tidally locked worlds, at least as background details - there's a tidally locked hive world, Mordian

Watch Ben 10 when they go to the fire and ice planet. Be just like that.

There was that one planet of cats in Futurama.

>don't think I've ever seen this in Sci-fi/Space opera games. Most of them seem to assume rotating planets with day and night cycles. What would life be like on a (relatively) 'stationary' planet where only a thin 'twillight' ring is inhabitable? How different would life (as well as flora and fauna) be compared to a day-night cycle planet like earth?
retard
this is such a common fucking trope
sage

they have a tiny weak loli star though. being tide locked doesn't mean its impossible for life

just wait until a few years when their tv signals get here