Board Game General /bgg/

Previous thread:
Pastebin:
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

We always talk about intro games, or the heavy stuff, what's your best "next step" games /bgg/? When your friends finally agree to start playing and enjoy the light stuff, how fast do you ramp up the weight/time investment? I don't have a third question but something something about mechanics, combining genres, etc.

I think Pandemic is a pretty good "step-up" game, as long as you don't have some asshole alpha gamer. Alot of people reccomend it as gateway but I'd say otherwise because there's alot of things like hand management and players having individual powers that are unique.

Also Resistance Avalon playing with roles is quite a nice stepping stone too

Race for the galaxy vs Roll for the galaxy

which do you prefer? pros/cons of each, what advantages do each have over the other?

Have not played Race, but have read the rulebook and watched some playthroughs

I prefer Roll. Moves faster, things happen much smoother simultaneously, easy to teach and remember (Don't have to teach it again every time you play). Dice are fun, and it's very easy to asses who is where in terms of victory during gameplay.

do you ever mix em up, or do you just play each separately as they came in the their respective boxes?

I'm all about super meaty games, and despise most euros, so I usually straight into the ameritrash grind and see how they turnout. I've got a few simple games like tsuro, but if you can't wrap your head around things like dungeonquest or thunderstone/nightfall/whatever deckbuilder (which I consider to be incredibly simple games), I probably won't enjoy handholding you through every game of the others or conan or whatnot.

Roll, if only for the petty reason that new players don't need to play 3+ games to understand the iconography, unlike Race, because in addition to the iconography, every fucking conponent has a text description of what it does. So difficult for Rio Grande to update newer editions of Race with text descriptions. So, so difficult.

best deckbuilder?
my vote would go towards Clank

Super chill mode? - Dominion
Slight pvp? - Thunderstone
Full pvp? - Nightfall
Comic book fan? - DC deckbuilder
RE fan? - Resident evil deckbuilder

About to try and teach the gf how to play twilight struggle.

wish me luck boys.

I'll throw in a 3rd vote for Roll with much the same reasons as the first user listed:

1. Ease of learning / teaching. Most players pick up the core game play elements after 1 game. After that it's a matter of exploring all the tile abilities and developing strategies.

2. Speed of play - the game plays very smoothly even with 5 players. A 'long' game with 3 or 4 new players might take an hour. Once everyone knows the basics, a 5 player game can finish up in 30 to 45 minutes.

3. There are enough variables that the game remains interesting rather than becoming 'samey'.

Someone in the previous thread mentioned burke's gambit. I can't quite say if this would be a good purchase for me or not, it looks like it might be fun but i don't know! Anybody care to share their opinions on this one? couldn't find many videos about it

is Krosmaster Quest any good? I like Wakfu and Dofus but I've been hearing mixed things.

I love race, but none of my group likes it. Roll is okay.

>all about super meaty games
>despise euros

You wot mate?

By "meaty" he means "unnecessarily long," look at his name.

So can someone redpill me on this looks pretty 10/10.

>Cryptozoic

you're better off waiting for the pledge manager for Giga Robo if that happens any time this decade

Fuck eurogames, autistic cubenightmares you play next to your friends instead of with them.

I'm trying to figure out what games to play with my friend on TTS. Probably just the two of us, we might be able to get a third. If we find a third I'm looking at Merchants and Marauders and Fury of Dracula, though I think M&M might be a little too antagonistic for my main friend.

I guess I can try to learn Thunderstone again, I'm just extremely racist against deckbuilders.

Dude is a Talisman fan, that should clue you in to how retarded and lacking of taste he is.

It looks sexy as hell, but Cryptozooic are terminal idiots with game rules, I've never played anything by them that felt remotely inspired.
But there's a first time for anything, I'm waiting on more details.

Is Formula D regarded as the best racing game or are there others that play better?

>thinks playing next to people not v them is autistic
>his faggot friend doesn't' like conflict in games
>thinks not liking a game type makes him racist

you are an absolutely retarded faggot and there is clearly a reason you don't have people to play with irl and are therefore looking for tts games. i sincerely hope you try to defend yourself as the undoubtedly autistic rage with which you respond will sure be hilarious

>thinks playing next to people not v them is autistic
I didn't say vs. I said with, hence Thunderstone.

>his faggot friend doesn't' like conflict in games
He's fine with conflict, but the conflict in M&M is very direct and mean, like Munchkin. There's a difference between beating somebody in a game and killing him, physically taking all his shit off his table, throwing half of it away, and making him start over.

>thinks not liking a game type makes him racist
Sorry, I typed that assuming you weren't autistic.

I hope this post was more direct and literal and won't trigger your robot brain problems.

I need you guys to help me out here, i feel like im under hypnosis...

pyramid arcade... every fiber of my being is saying this is great, buy it. but i can't tell if im being nuts or what...

what's the word on this? seems like a great idea but then again its like 70 bucks so i dont wanna act on impulse

Fucking love roll. Great components, double sided tiles are genius. If you are strictly 2 player only, get race, otherwise Roll every time. Fuck I might like roll at 2 better anyways

How do you all feel about Diplomacy? Any tips and tricks or interesting stories?

Race, of course. Ignore the mongoloid replies. Race is a simple as fuck game, its rules fit on a postcard and are much shorter and more elegant than the rules for Roll.

The only reason people claim that Race is 'complex' is because it's a deep game that rewards skill, you can't just do whatever and hope something comes up.

in relation to this

Does anybody have an idea of how/where i can get my hands on zendo? I'm thinking about buying the pyramid arcade and then just getting extra pyramids and the stones, but even if i dont get the arcade i'd still like components for zendo. unfortunately i can't seem to find somewhere online that has em!

Any excitement for the new entry in the COIN series announced this week? Seems like it has potential to be pretty interesting.

Bump

>he actually broke down an obvious troll post line by line
>still managed to seem like the more autistic person
>proved beyond shadow of a doubt that his shit taste in games is rivaled only by his shit taste in friends

To be fair, it is still painfully obvious that you do not have the luxury of picking and choosing who you consider friends. Also I did laugh at your reply, please reply equally autistically to this post for my entertainment.

Are there any deck building games like yugioh? Something fast paced with mind games... or just fast paced.

of course it looks great and I'm sure the components will be fantastic but for many reasons I do not have high hopes for the game rules. we will know more if/when gameplay videos come out but until then I'm prepared to be disappointed

Valley of the Kings all day erry day.

Race because I'm not a casual babby

i was thinking just getting alien artefacts for my base game and call it complete.

How do you throw games without making it obvious that you're throwing games?

Long story short, I've been going to some game nights with a more casual crowd, and they have shockingly good taste in games, even if they're a bit light. But I keep fucking winning. Some of it is blind luck, but most of it is just me being slightly better than everyone else there, even at the games they claim to be unbeatable at.

With a more hardcore group I wouldn't worry about it, but this crowd is already getting a little salty. I'm being as gracious as I can be when I win, but there's only so much losing a casual can take.

So what are my options here? How do I let other people win and not end up looking like an even bigger asshole? I like the group, they're good folks, but I just don't know how to suck at boardgames.

Baseball Highlights 2045

I like Krosmaster Arena but not Quest. They try hard to mimic the MMO and end up using the worst aspects, just aimless feeling grind. It also feels pretty slapped together.

I think that'll be the nail in the coffin then. Several other people said the same thing. That's a shame.

I'd be tempted to get Arena, but I'm more into co-op than pvp.

You don't
It's not pretty but you're just going to have mercilessly grind them down until they either get better or murder you one evening and dispose of your body into finely crafted board game pieces.

RftG doesn't really need any expansions.

Pick a deliberately difficult or stupid strategy and do your hardest to make it work.

Are there any board games that could be considered cuhrayzee?

no

Catan

What games are you playing?

It depends. If you mean are there any boardgames that emulate character action games then no that's something that I think can't be translated from videogames because it's a very real-time feeling.

There are alot of card games though that build around players doing big fuck-off combos though. Seasons for example has you draft your cards at the start of the match and is all about trying to set up one or two big combos to win the game with.

But to answer the question, no.

But user, they seem like a group that will stop inviting me before they git gud. I'm not sure they can be ground down.
>dispose of your body into finely crafted board game pieces
There are worse ways to go I guess.

I've tried this, but I guess I'll have to go even more wild. But then I run the risk of it being obvious that I'm aiming to lose, which I worry they may not take well to.

It's a fine line to walk, man. A fine line.

The latter, just something quick/decisive and combo heavy. Seasons looks like it may be up my alley.

BattleCON and Yomi

Yeah seasons is a good choice although it's about an hour long so not really quick or desicisve to be honest. Still fun to set up big combos and then impress your dad as he gets very co fused at what's going on. I can't really think of any other games. Maybe star realms? It plays much faster at least but you din't really have much choice in how your combos play out.

Oh man, both of these sound great
Just finished a review, and I'm pretty sold on it, though you're right, it may be a tad longer than I was initially looking for. Still, it looks like a really good time.

hate to ask for the spoonfeed, but is there a good place to get these games cheap or should I just stick with eBay? Between the three of them I can already feel the pain in my wallet.

Are you from america or uk? If so I know theres boardgameprices and boardgameprices UK. Theres also the bazzar on bgg but I've never used it. I'm sure theres some more comparison sites if you're in a different country too

America, and thanks for the help, checking them out now!

If you're in Aberrica then I know people brag about a website called CoolStuffInc doing sales often? Never used them bevause UK but I'd keep an eye out

I thought Descent was regarded as the best racing game.

Just nabbed it for 38 bucks with shipping, can't wait to play it. it'll be my first Veeky Forums in years.

Enjoy. It's in my top three, if you have a regular person to play with you can really explore the depth of the game.

I'm blessed with pretty good friends who tend to enjoy this sort of thing...or at the very least will humor me with a couple play throughs.

what are the other two?

"You guys fucking suck at games, I'll just try stupid strats from now on."

Carcassonne and Arkham horror LCG.

I think millennium blades might dethrone one though so ask again in about two days :^)

Arkham Horror LCG looks pretty neat. I might have to give that a go at some point, and I've heard Millennium Blades is really good even if it looks cringey as fuck. Shame it's out of my price range, but I imagine between Seasons and Mage Knight I'll be busy for a while with things to play.

Some of it's a bit cringey but I think the fact that it's so in your face and ungraceful with it that it's really enjoyable. Seasons is great, both MB and it have similar gameplay really but seasons is one big long tournement whereas MB is multiple tournements.

AH LCG is really fun, especially if you have someone to co-op with

Any tips for the core campaign with only a single core set?

Honestly sounds like you should try out netrunner. I wouldn't call it fast but there's certainly mind games. However it's also not a deckbuilder, but an LCG

Play it on easy. You'll probably still get your shit pushed in during Midnight Masks and Devourer Below. Best solo investigator is probably Roland due to his ability to get clues and kill enemies, but his Willpower is shit so beware of Treachery cards.

Also, bring along 2 copies of each of the skill cards, the ones that boost your skill by 2 and let you draw a card if you succeed.

user, how can you be very good at these games but not know how to orchestrate a loss? Honest question.

Possessing the skills to win implies that you have the skills to control the situation, so unless you're playing an incredibly random game, it's odd that you would have any trouble.

Maybe it just takes a different skill set than what I'm thinking. Every game I'm good at, I can easily throw. I can walk into an opponents trap, forget the capabilities of my units, make silly gambles with no real benefit. If my opponents are scrutinizing me enough to see what I'm doing, then that's also a bizarre situation, because such an opponent should not be constantly losing.

Easy does seem like the best option until more cards roll in doesn't it. Guess I'll do that then, thanks.

How important is it to have card sleeves?

Is wear and tear really bad enough to require sleeves for card games that aren't CCGs where spergs drop $60 on a single card?

Depends very heavily on the game. Some games include decks which get shuffled constantly and can significantly benefit from sleeves. Others aren't worth even considering. It also depends on how critical it is that cards not get marked in the game.

Roughly, sleeves are for:
1. Protection from spills and grubby hands
2. Protection from rough handling (tapping cards on the table)
3. Mash shuffling, in addition to generally better shuffles

If you don't think you'll face the above problems, or care about it, then feel free to go sleeveless.

How's the writing in TIME Stories? Better than a good thriller movie? Or is it filled with cliches and so on?

Name some of the games

I honestly prefer the feel sleeved, with boardgames I guess its mostly about wether or not the game will be perpetually in print or not and how expensive it is.

The writing in TIME Stories is teenage europeans pretending to be cool 80s Americans level.

Its so bad its unintentionally funny.

TIME Stories is a fun experience because its like a long one nigth interactive story/puzzle but the writing is shit tier.

Hypocrite that you are, you fail to mention its quality at a scaling player count while also blowing over the fact that roll is also basically the same game with the same mechanics. I don't think you've played roll desu (maybe because you can't afford it)

If it's 'basically the same' then why get the inferior version??

That's what we're saying. Why buy Race when Roll plays better, faster, and scales extremely well with additional players?

Because Race is the superior game while Roll is if you're a braindead babby.

But user why would you buy the inferior version when you could get the better game instead? I don't understand!

I've been thinking about getting the Arkham Horror LCG, can you tell why you like it so much?

The only game I've sleeved so far is Space Hulk Death Angel because it's out of print and I don't want to risk ruining the cards without having a way to replace them

Okay, read the rulebook, watched available gameplay videos, and honestly the only significant criticisms I have are dice-resolved combat and MAYBE some potential to be fucked over by card draw order - but the decks seem like they should cycle fairly quick.

Other than that, threats of kickstarter exclusives and potentially very high shipping costs charged after the campaign are worth worrying about.

If I hadn't already known, I don't think I could have guessed the rules were by the morons at Crypto. It's still a very ameritrashy proposition, but the building tagging thing as a second victory condition is almost entirely RNG-less, which should help. I don't know if it'll be GOOD, but it surprisingly doesn't look like total garbage. There's at least a couple layers of mildly interesting decisions to make.

Looking for 3ppl meme game with low downtime, great visuals and 1 hour sessions. Fantasy-themed preferably. Any ideas?

Roll doesn't play better and certainly not faster.

Roll only exists because plebs like the tactile feel of rolling dice. Race's rules are better in every way.

Conan is kinda crazy, but wouldn't recommend on account of 2/3rds of it's current content being Kickstarter exclusive.

Found the Ameritrash millennial.

But user, Race scales like shit and if you play it with more than three people it's well over an hour and overstays its welcome.

Of course you'd rather ignore that fact and run around saying that Race is objectively superior in every single way and completely miss that I'm mocking you for claiming objective truth in a subjective issue.

Some people prefer Roll over Race. I like it because it is an enormously better game at large player counts (4-5) and my game group always has large player counts. You should try getting over that.

>play it with more than three people it's well over an hour

Maybe if you're all braindead first-timers. Otherwise I'm afraid I'm going to have to issue you a citation for being a fucking faggot and tell you to get out.

The mechanics are good, the arts is amazing, story is pretty standard but fun but what really hits it out of the park is how the game goes a long way to really make it feel like you're progressing through a story. It's hard to describe without making you just play through the first scenario

>a game where everybody takes turns sequentially is faster than a game where everybody takes turns consecutively
>being so butthurt that one of the most commonly brought up criticisms of your favorite game isn't a criticism

>if you play it with more than three people it's well over an hour and overstays its welcome.
It does not, you're confusing it with some other game. There's a strict time limit to the game and all player actions happen simultaneously.

a) 'sequentially' and 'consecutively' is the same word, you retard.

b) RftG player actions are simultaneous, read the damn rules again or something.

>that shameless moving of goalposts

Wew lad, you should go work as a groundskeeper with skills like that.

This

Race is the superior 1v1 game. Any higher player count and roll is a far more enjoyable experience imo

Race takes a bit longer at higher player counts for sure. But its not that much longer. Pretty close to the sane

I think he meant simultaneously. Anyways both games are superb and very similar, so the warring fanboyism for one over the other is ridiculous. Roll is the same game with worker placement mechanics, and race is a slightly more strategic game as well as being a great travel game

I was really hoping we could just shit on this because of the Crypto stamp, thanks for nothing.

Same here, but it's probably worth considering on its own merits or flaws.
I still like Giga Robo better I think, despite strongly preferring one this one's aesthetic and art.

STEEV, Exodus expansion kickstarter, y/n