I just want to flesh out my setting. let me introduce you to SOL76...

I just want to flesh out my setting. let me introduce you to SOL76, tell me what you think about it and ask questions so that i can flesh out the lore. you may add content too if you like

During the Luna 2 mission in 1959, the Soviet Union discovered an extremely powerful and unique recource under the Moon's surface, and they called it: пoдapoк (podarok; "the Gift")

kept as a secret at first, it was quickly exposed and stolen by american agents and would also be used to easily access the moon in 1969 during the Apollo 11 mission with 12 men. - it was only a few years earlier that both: America and the Soviet Union finished their first prototypes of fully scaled, operatable and versatile space stations, meant to expand even further into space.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EgrdAUFFMrA
youtube.com/watch?v=-v3Lgf-Bczw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The story of SOL76 takes place in the distant future of 1976. the three great powers of the United States, Soviet Union and even China are involved in terrible, bloody wars between the stars, fought by giant space ships, and even civilian space stations are not spared from Bombs and EMP attacks.

whole stations are disconnected from their national colonies due to EMP bombs. civil people try to survive in the sheer darkness
of space, right next to their shelters.

youtube.com/watch?v=EgrdAUFFMrA

I'm listening.

>every square mile of space

This is some heavy stuff.

Who's the president.

main events for the players take place in these colonies without any form of electric energy. this makes it difficult to survive and most colonies are run down in anarchy due to lack of communication to other stations and civil riots for food and supplyments.

Gerald Ford

Great setting. Bump for interest

Okay, but what does пoдapoк actually *do*, besides generally be Valuable?

This is actually pretty important, because since that's your main bit of fantastical science, that'll determine a lot about what kinds of technology will be plausible and what kind of 'flavor' your world's going to have

It apparently helps you get to the Moon easier, in quantities small enough that they could be stolen by American agents, but what purpose does it actually serve?

I see you played Battlezone, OP

youtube.com/watch?v=-v3Lgf-Bczw

Why don't people Nuke each other and totally destroy the Earth? Did that already happen? Or does пoдapoк have something to do with allowing "conventional" war to begin again?

It has two very unique perks.

1. It is a very efficient and powerful form of petrol

2. if you mingle it with some other liquid substance, the other liquid will adapt and copy to get the same features and traits of пoдapoк. This makes it easy and durable to use with any substitute liquid.

Since America and the Soviets expanded more and more into space, that even the colonies became more advanced and important to the governments than the actual countries on earth, china mostly took over the earth. Though, recources on earth are dying. China is also trying to reach further into space like the soviets and usa with copies of their technologies, but lag behind very far.

So if you drop some пoдapoк into a lake...

i like your idea. This is something that ruined the nature on earth and the sea.

Bumping for interest, this is cool

thank you!

so, EMP bombed, diconnected space stations aimlessly floating through the space, filled with anarchy and murder, exposed to cosmic rays (space radiation) and EMP radiation, lacking energy and very, very limited access to food and clean water is the main setting - next to old and lost mineshafts placed on asteroids and spaceship ruins. everything in 70's style.

Sign me in.

Tell us if you ever make a pdf.

I will

Bump?

I suggest you to play Dread as a system for this.

wait what? this is some freaky shit. any contact with any liquid turns that liquid into "the gift"?
and the gift is used as fuel? so there could be an astronaut ripping up tiny sachets of tomato sauce and squirting it into the fuel tank?

and there are freaky space pirate guys who find it easier to hack up the corpes of the enemy and feed the blood over some space rock to make fuel

is the gift a solid or liquid itself? this has such horrifying implications that i don't think you really thought about

Does the converting liquids into itself not create a dangerous ice 9 like situation?

Fuck that, just use a hollow point with a Gift core. All the blood in their veins, arteries, organs turns to a fuel. If you really hate the guy, add a tracer to the mix. Burn him from the inside out on an impossibly thorough scale. It would be excruciating.

Fuck i didn't even think of that and you would be earning fuel with it when you use them. getting fuel in this setting is not that hard it seems

It does, that's why I asked about putting some in a lake. Any contact with large body of water would lead to destruction of Earth's biosphere. Getting the gift from the moon is an apocalyptic scenario.

Well, yes. The Gift converts other liquids into itself, but its not infinitely spreadable. Think about poison that is spilled into water. The bigger the amount of water, the less poison. Like, the gift is powerful, very powerful, and it ruined nature on earth. Just saying that its not infinitely powerful.

True but you said suggested that getting maybe a briefcase full of it is enough to be a serious amount. It doesn't seem to add up right to me

If you wanted to go something a bit safer/a bit more original than 'superfuel', you could have the 'gift' be some form of ultra-efficient coolant, or some kind of radiation-absorbing yet light metal.

Incredibly efficient coolant solves the waste-heat issue of space travel.

A metal which absorbs incredible amounts of radiation helps to mitigate the fallout issue with nuclear ramjets, giving you cold-war style Orion/Deadalus spacecraft.

Could I still use the tracer hollow point filled with magic moon gas to set a fool on fire from within?

Bump

K can we set up a once a week IRC session to play this or something, this is sick. I love cold war settings