Invite my autistic coworker to my d&d group

>invite my autistic coworker to my d&d group
>"oh, I don't know user, I don't think I can get into the mindset of role-playing as someone else"
>weeks later he sends me a nine page PDF with a fully fleshed out back story, indexed reputation with various factions he made up, and bullet points for how to bring him into the campaign

Should I be proud of worried? This is his first ever RPG session...

How bad is the backstory? We need details, friend.

You should be worried. But if you are very patient he may grow out of it. I did, but it took me a few years.

Whelp, Op's dead.

Sorry, I'm a degenerate phoneposter and I'm trying to get the PDF to upload

Oh, I'll wait then.

Never fear, OP delivars

Formating seems a little fucked but it might be in part by my browser. Also not having filled out a standard character sheet is gonna bite him a bit in the ass later, and some of the shit he has seems pretty high level.

But all in all, I'd say he's a bit over eager and will be a little disappointed when no one gives half a shit about his backstory.

Cautiously hopeful, they clearly seem to give a shit now. But there's a large difference between sitting at your computer thinking on backstory and shit over the course of hours and then typing it out and then actually roleplaying that at the table where responses have to be fairly quick.

I usually don't write up a lot of backstory because I have trouble making sure I color inside the lines, so to speak, that past me gave me. Instead I have a rough outline, roleplay what feels natural and then kind of build the overarching personality and what not from those examples.

>But all in all, I'd say he's a bit over eager and will be a little disappointed when no one gives half a shit about his backstory.
>I usually don't write up a lot of backstory because I have trouble making sure I color inside the lines, so to speak, that past me gave me. Instead I have a rough outline, roleplay what feels natural and then kind of build the overarching personality and what not from those examples.
From vague skimming, generally in agreement with these anons. He seems eager but new, so he's kind of undergoing ye typical shouting in rage while glowing with awakened power that looks very impressive but isn't actually harming anything phase.

The real question is how he'll focus down. Ideally he'll figure out the little things: focus on what your character acts like not what he ate for breakfast; don't list eight broad areas he's amazing at and one really specific thing where he's kind of below average; you're level 5 perhaps Excalibur, the Heart of Kali, and a suit of plate armor made of pure void is a little much, and so on.

Less ideally, he might retain a few rough edges, especially if he really is autistic: He might get clingy with his artifact gear, become excessively crestfallen that nobody cares about his lengthy backstory, or not gel with the group and be bad at expressing/handling that. Catastrophically, of course, he might do something like that to a bizarre degree, or zero in on some other noxious obsession and keep at it.

I'll second cautious optimism. He's trying, so you're like 50% there.

To be fair its kind of cool that he put so much effort into it, if he is new to the hobby and has no clue how to play you should go easy on him.
Shit I know the PC games from back in the day:
NWN
Baldurs Gate
Icewind Dale
all had "Biography" or "Background" info boxes so you could write a back story for each member of your party for the RP
I never did it except for the "Main or lead" character but im sure there were kids out there more autistic than me willing to throw away a solid hour or two to write "fluff" for the entire party.

Pic related, I often draw character art of the characters who do cool things or stick around long enough in my campaigns.

The chimp-out when his character inevitably dies will be entertaining, at least.

Post pdf

>know guy is autistic
>invite him to do something he has never done before
>try to shame and mock him when he puts some effort in

Don't be a dick, OP. The fucker's at least trying.

There is something in a way he writes that seems a bit off.

i think op is not mocking him, but its more surprised that he pulled off all that stuff after saying that he wasnt sure that he could rp as someone else

>Should I be proud or worried?
Worried.
I might read it more thoroughly in a bit, but it's like you guys don't know how to skim.
Why should you be worried?
Here's the last line:
>Aidryn may kill other players in the combative process as well.

>>Aidryn may kill other players in the combative process as well.

Juicy. I'd love to see how graceful his exit from the hobby would be if his 9 page backstory having motherfucker was killed by another pc.

HHAHAHAHAHA WHAT THE FUCK

Please OP, i want a thread detailing each and every session you play with him

>I'd love to see how graceful his exit from the hobby would be if his 9 page backstory having motherfucker was killed by another pc.
>Implying that he hasn't planned for that.

Partycan choose to kill Aidryn if theywish. Aidryn will usehisGreen diskupon death to summonthe
vengeanceof Beory, thiswill inflict an Eyefor anEye onhiskiller. Removinga player from game. They will prettymuch kill him at their own risk.

Not sure what is up with the spaces, but I left them as is this time.
I have an observation next post.

As precious as that is. I meant literally.

>ThePersuasion chart isused to determinethelikely hood of any given player’s ability to persuadeAidryn to join their quest.

oh god

>already making reasons to fight the party
>has made items to help him fight the party
Oh god

jesus christ, did this autist even think this through?
>have to "convince" his character to follow along
>roll poorly
>aidryn doesn't agree to go
>k bye

Please OP, at least tell him that being too much of an antisocial asshole will make things difficult for you or something.

Yep.

This guy has *NOT* created a Player Character for a tabletop role-playing game.
He has created a NPC for a video game RPG that is an optional addition to join the protagonist party.
Take this snippet as evidence:

>The Persuasion chart is used to determine the likelihood of any given player’s ability to persuade Aidryn to join their quest. What the player’s need to know before attempting Persuasion.
>1. Aidryn must be persuaded to join the parties quest.
>2. Certain dialogue queues can be prompted to persuade Aidryn (Logic or reason applications
apply here. Use the scenario present to determine how to convince Aidryn to join your party.)
>3. Does Aidryn trust you? This will be based on your actions you take during your initial contact (Are you Noble, Wicked, Chaotic What manner of creature are you? Race? Religion? Arts?)
>These factors will determine your success in acquiring Aidryn, successful acquisition will gain you a powerful force of nature.

OP, he has no idea what he is doing.
You may choose to try to educate him, that's your choice.
But you must play with him and report back to us.
Veeky Forums demands it.

Eh, Baldur's Gate was more RP friendly than IWD, a dungeon crawler, and by default you only made the Bhaalspawn anyway.

>He has created a NPC for a video game RPG that is an optional addition to join the protagonist party.
My very first thought was that he ripped a NPC sheet from somewhere before I noticed he said "other players", otherwise it's almost exactly as you would write a optional NPC for an adventure.

Quickly Veeky Forums, describe your last character in 10 words or less. I'll begin.
>bored gnome wizard travels with friends searching knowledge and adventure

star-ravaged lunatic explores distant lands for meaning and profit

I feel disturbed, but interested.

To be fair, it's pretty decent if it's taken as an original NPC, if the backstory was edited down a bit.

Bipedal stuffed bunny known as the Toybox Gambler. Bets lifespans.

>Sorcerer seeks to stop demon, manipulates oddly successful adventuring party.

Spoiled transmuter prodigy who does not want to be here.

He has put more effort here than many players and gms combined in all the years I've played

Heterochromic Xaositect Kender with fox features, daemon affiliated, hates party.

>Space pirate alchemist sentai villain in mourning for his crew

Retribution Paladin weighing his grim duty against his good heart.

But that's a good character.

great effort and dedication to going in the wrong direction is not necessarily a positive trait

vampire edgelord who smokes a pipe a lot and kills.

His order expects him to be more lawful neutral style which pretty much means no mercy for those judged guilty. As an example, band of murdering bandits surrender mid fight, it's part of his code to execute them.

His Order is basically the Judges from Dredd.

Skaven trying to be self-indulgent without isolating his only friends.

If Microsoft word says self-indulgent is one word, it damn well is

The good ol' days where you used to create a mega backstory for your level 1 character. Nowadays this is my character backstory

Skaven have friends?

Friends is probably too strong a word but I didn't have enough room to write "Acquaintances he does Mercenary work with", and for a Skaven being all alone sucks, you're a pack species you need numbers.

Vampire paladin who suppresses his blood cravings via DEUS VULT

I think the Skaven word is "Enemies".

I'm against all Skaven being the same cookie-cutter mold of "Paranoid maniac who thinks everyone not him should be preemptively murdered", certainly they're more naturally inclined to it then other races, but that just means the distribution chart is more biased towards it, not that literally all of them cannot cooperate and cannot form any genuine bonds, the Stormvermin show you can have loyal & reliable Skaven.

Had a player do this in a game once.

He seemed legitimately angry and confused when, after 20 minutes of refusing to be convinced to join the quest, the other PCs walked away and I had him roll another character.

Bored hobo has nothing better to do, also a WIZAAARD!

Dancing superpowered college student gets involved in paranormal shenanigans

A lazy grain of chocolate that plays the ukelele

I wonder what even goes on through those guys' heads.

Drug addled semi-pro pilot goes for wild ride in space

Sounds like he's going to be an excellent addition to your group. I would kill for a player that got that into it.

Last night a friend invited me to game he was running for some new players. All they did for 3 hours is argue about how they should be able to roll to rape each other. None were autistic.

Seems like a really chill group honestly. How was it?

>Barbarian played as a redneck fisherman

>Just read on from bullets. Story is getting long and isn't entirely important.
Well, everything else aside, for all it's worth, at the very least he isn't totally oblivious.

Eccentric, forgetful cartographer. loves games of chance and sweet wine.

forgot to remove the name from the last thread I was in

It ssounds like they want to be important, but do it wrong.

They should just write "tsundere" on their character sheets so the party knows how to deal with them.

Arrogant pyromancer with a drug problem and a pet barbarian

Wookie mechanic who has lost everything fights for his friends.

Well, the guy has no idea what he's doing. Playing a session with him could make for a good story though.
At least he took care of his backstory. Last time I invited a coworker who was new to the hobby, it took him three weeks to come up with:
>My background is: my background is a mystery.
I kicked him from the game before it even began.

sioux descent, white pansexual man to woman transgender feminist searches...

fuck, I ran out of words

>all these spergs who figure out basics of roleplaying out of the gate
>never got it in 2 years

>sioux descent, white pansexual man to woman transgender feminist
You could consense this to 2 words just by saying "tumblr incarnate".

Dying chemist undergoes superhuman transformation to escape yakuza loans sharks.

You should probably explain to him that D&D is a team game.

Mermaid Sea Witch uses compulsion to sell seaweed to land-dwellers

Artistic inventor with anger issues who tends towards shenanigans.

This is mostly because the GM of that game is a player of one of my games, and after the events of my game he's become pissy. Sooo, I tend to get shoved off away from the plot that everyone else is going through, but a few bros insist I still do things. Usually that means seducing brothel owners, graffiti, extorting my patron for more money... things that everyone else finds more entertaining than the main plot. Then the GM goes into autistic screeching mode cause I'm derailing the plot I'm not allowed to partake in...

Multi-classing, min maxing, ranger will trip people for money.

Nordic hermit seeking otherworldly knowledge in a group of murderhobos

>Pious barbarian recieves visions, seeks answers to save dying homeland.

>Trickster spirit exiled from Heaven, uses illusions to right wrongs.

>Magic pro wrestler hunts BBEG for Belt of Power, justice.

>Corrupt noble stabbed with cursed coin, seeks witch for redemption.

Human warlock who belongs to an order of vampire hunters.

>Human Bardbarian tries his hardest to keep reckless paladin alive

>Smarmy bard follows mercenaries to escape murderous father

Antiquarian ogre pasifist, lost on the new continent, send help

Please give us a rundown on every game you play with this guy. I can't tell if he's going to be a complete "that guy" or a complete "this guy" but I can tell he's going to be polarizing somehow.

>Robespierre wondering what goes on through someone else's head
AYYYYYYY
He did nothing wrong though
Except the Cult of the Supreme Being. That was shit.
It's literally just Christianity without Christ. Why even bother?

Yeah, give us a quick rundown

gnome sorcerer wishes she was a bard but family

Sweet transvestite with his faithful handyman questing for immortal homunculus

>Aidryn’s Adaptive armor can help to mitigate fire damage based on a saving throw / roll (successful rolls result in armor adaptation resulting in -1.5% to total dmg) otherwise he will take extra damage based on 1.5% of his total HP+ Damage taken.

His entire equipment section, very literally, NONE of this is possible in D&D. What level is this even supposed to be?

and armor that mitigates One point five percent damage... one point five percent? This is a joke.

Japanese biker punk Oni out for a good time.

Alright friends, OP here.
I'm about to start session 0, and politely but firmly tell him to roll something else.
I'll report back on the aftermath

I eagerly await your return, op.

Need something else to keep the thread going in the meantime.

Nah, let him go with this, but explain to him why the legacy armor is shit, and why it's up to him to have a reason to join the party.

Then introduce him to legacy magic item rules, so when he has a better idea of what he wants that works in your ruleset, he can make his starter gear actually magic.

Forever GM here. I haven't been a player in over a year. If I had to use the very last character I played....

> Verbally aggressive crossdressing wizard who hated stupid megacities

Post autism stories if you've got some

>Stockholm syndrome ghost becomes secret agent through power of friendship.

Young patriotic noble proving himself and helping father's duchy.

>Exiled palace guard pretends to be a wizard.

Scheming Human Face, treats party like family.
Values status more.

Strangely enough, I don't have any. I've only ever had decent players. The only thing that is semi ridiculous occurred when I was a player, using the aforementioned character. GM'S setting and campaign set-up was pretty bad. Not like autismo bad, just poorly done.

On the one hand, I can admire his dedication. With some help, editing and an explanation of how to D&D, this could be alright.

On the other hand, it reminds be of when I first ran a campaign. I asked my players to come up with their characters, stats and a little bit of backstory. One player gave me 2700+ words of useless nonsense.