/ysg/ - Yog-Sothothery General

Thread for all discussion related to Lovecraftian inspired Veeky Forums.

Have You Seen the Yellow Sign? edition

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>Call of Cthulhu 7e
sendspace.com/file/8gje9p

>Delta Green
>The old:
mediafire.com/?njg3a0ne7v130
>The new:
>Need to Know
dropbox.com/s/6vc7fuxg5n5jyfd/Delta Green Need to Know.pdf?dl=1
>Agent's Handbook
uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1461968691
mega.nz/#!8c5kFbJL!bAYHcyWX_RUbvoAMWI63E7XLUdfU19APQnWIv5tzamk

How lethal are your games? Do you allow character development?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O7EQmXEejmo
darkicon.com/lovecraft.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=6Zl5vpy__dQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Character development is necessary. Makes scary moments all the scarier.

I don't go out of my way to kill characters. The core gameplay loop of SAN damage in exchange for discovering scary things gets reset every time a character dies.

I like when my PCs survive but I never make any encounters pushovers. Even a single man with a gun is lethal and should be played as such. Character progression allows for the slow descent into insanity that the game is all about.

Delta Green handbook when? Also how good is Dreams in the Witch House? It's one of the few stories I haven't read.

Agent's handbook is already out. CO's handbook is late for a FUCKING YEAR REEEEEEEE

Dreams in the Witch House is good, I liked it. There's even a rock opera version of it.

Dreams in the Witch House is decent. There's some silliness like the Witch being defeated by a crucifix but overall it's worth a read. If you've been playing CoC RPGs for any length of time there's a lot of stuff you'll recognize as originating there.

Storytime, niggers

Keep going please. Is this some kind of CoC comic?

It's BPRD, a spinoff of Hellboy. It chronicles what happens to the agency and the world after he quits his job, travels the world, takes his place as the rightful king of England and dies

So, first time Keeper. I've got the setting down, I'm just not sure how I should do my encounter.

EncounterS I should say. Should I gradually lead them along, or dump a raw living piece of Mythos onto them?

That's it

For me, it really depends on what type of game I'm playing but also who is at the table : I'm currently running many one shots with a not completely fixed group, where each night is a stand alone, sometimes with pre generated, sometimes not. Some of them LOVES to do big backstories even for one-nights characters, so I let them do it, and I try to add elements to the scenario linked to their character, other just roll the die and limitate themselves to obvious feats. With another group (online, but always the same), I set that their characters should stay alive as I was not planning to be too harsh, especially with the first scenarii, but they did not make big backstories (except one, on 4 players). Throughout the campaign, they developped their characters, which bring a lot of life between each scenario, but also bring really cool interactions during these (for example, one of my player started his own little bootlegging gang, it was not easy but it was really cool to rp. During a final (without mythos), for me, the most obvious way would have been to call the police but instead, he called his gang as reinforcement, which led to additional drama, as the members were close npcs)

depends on what you're aiming to do. I really feel that, for a first time, the best is to keep the big mythos creature for the final, using only, at most, poltergeist stuff, hallucinations and all the classic horror "tension builder". depending on the creature, you could also add elements of it without revealing it, by teasing it : with ghouls, you can add scratching in the basements, a strange human shape, running like a dog... With a sorcerer, strange vision, or a domination spell on one of the pc. If they track down a shubniggurath spawn, they might see a strange goo sticking to the trees... Endless possibilities !

If you want a scenario with gradually increasing encounters, which is also a really good scenario, you could read blackwater creek. Nevertheless, playing the haunting or the edge of darkness is always a good start. And if you want to write your own, read those ones to see what you could do.

youtube.com/watch?v=O7EQmXEejmo

Thank you user!

the tommy gun might be a little outdated for a 50s/60s atomic age Cthulhu

is the FAL a good choice for the niche of easy to find automatics, or should they stick to SMGs?

if flying polyps shrug off shotgun fire, what would be a better choice for taking them out, so my character can stock his trophy well

>Is this some kind of CoC comic?

Nah, Corruption of Champions is a furry fuckfest compared to this.

So he's a fly and he's upset about that or he's upset he isn't a fly?

Fire. Always carry a flamethrower just in case. Even if it's just a hair spray and a lighter.

I just ran my first proper horror game after a lifetime of shitshows in LGS. I got soundtrack, I did some mindfuck, I was unusually eloquent with descriptions, almost like I found my place in life. And looks like I did. My true calling is telling horror stories. When we finished, turned out players brought some food and didn't even touch it.

I am reborn, /ysg/.

So, at this note, a question. Where do you get your soundtracks? I'm looking for all sorts of things, from simple ambient to tense fast music for more dynamic scenes to OH GOD HOLY FUCK NOW WE CAN ONLY PRAY when they can only pray. The only requirement is little to no vocals, unless they are particularly spooky and add to the spookiness, and overall dark and gloomy feel.

I've seen a few posted on here before but it's always better to make your own. Just look around and find some ambient music for the early parts of the game. Connect it to the setting if you can. I played some native american music when running a Delta Green scenario set on a reservation. Keep some ambient creepy music for the ending. Sometimes I don't even bother with music because it can as easily detract from the mood as it can enhance it.

And that's before you take into account the great race of yiff.

I don't like this design too much. I always imagined them without heads and the cone basically being their whole bodies.

I'm fine with the "head", but only if it's got the same anatomical prominence as the hearing flute conurbation.

darkicon.com/lovecraft.htm

youtube.com/watch?v=6Zl5vpy__dQ

Btw there is currently a storytime on /co/ of Metropolis which seems kinda related. Not Llovecraft itself but it got elements of it.
Check it out if you want and I hope I can cross board link correctly.

>darkicon.com/lovecraft.htm

The inhuman automobile

If an obscure squid learned a ritual beneath the nation, then a broken recording panics. If a twisted building secreted away the awful knowledge of the township, then some lethal table laughs like a man insane. Most people believe that a vacuum for an organism conquered another unfamiliar cloud formation, but the thoroughly dreaded germ is much more impromptu. Most people believe that a nightmare greedily learned the inexorably antiquarian truth about the empty lot beneath an abstraction, but the earth-threatening model is much more feverishly tattered. When the excessive wheel hesitates, the legend near the mushroom self-flagellates. Remembering the vile scream of the insignificance, I prostated myself before the book of the a dirt-encrusted sanity that stood before me. Furthermore, some fraction meditates, and an echo over the automobile hurled a mulch at a vile secret. When a rock beams with almost eldritch power, the paralysis for an estate ruminates. It took no dreamlike brain to make me unwittingly inexorably pierce the black, beating heart of another magnificent demon, but the broken township was stoic. It took no blasphemous library to make me hardly engulfe another fractured vista, but the mysterious color was secretly infinite. An eldritch particle single-handledly traded a shadow out of the aversion. Indeed, the precise inferiority of another bulb was inhuman. Remembering the memorable satellite of some anomaly over the polygon, I prostated myself before the submarine of the the ghoul that stood before me. An inhuman secret eagerly seekd a globule out of the creature. Most people believe that a frozen ghoul burned the stone, but the impossible spirit is much more orbiting. A molten crane reached an understanding with the recording.

I imagined reading that in Wayne June's voice and suddenly couldn't find my sides.