So what do we know about the Rangdan Xenocides? What's your individual headcanon?

So what do we know about the Rangdan Xenocides? What's your individual headcanon?

It sounds like such an interesting chunk of imperial history, but you need to pore over all the black books to find anything.

The Rangdan Xenocides make heavy reference to the Slaugth from FFG's RPGs, wormlike xenos from the galactic north who infest and control their enemies. References abound in places such as in a World Eaters' Dreadnought description, and Alpharius's (false) origin stories. It's known that the Dark Angels and Space Wolves together handled most of it, with other Legions assisting. but Horus, usually quick to jump in for victory, avoided the warzone like the plague. It's also now been stated that at least one entire Legion of Astartes was lost in it, and given the Space Wolves' executioner claims and the notes of the Consul Obsequiari, at least one Legion may have been infested, purged, and then erased.

Inb4 "Citation Needed," that phrase has become a simple way of stating "i don't believe you, you liar." You will find all relevant info above in HH Books 1, 3, and 7.

>It's also now been stated that at least one entire Legion of Astartes was lost in it, and given the Space Wolves' executioner claims and the notes of the Consul Obsequiari, at least one Legion may have been infested, purged, and then erased.

That's...actually pretty interesting, and an explanation for the "lost legions" that I'd be okay with.

Fighting an entire Legion of zombie-marines would be a pretty cool campaign for the tabletop.

I actually like this a lot. It would further the reference to the lost Roman Legion if they were just wiped out.

And them being mind-controlled/zombified by aliens would be suitably grimdark.

This just feels so wrong. Another mystery ruined.

I like the idea that there are impossibly horrifying monstrosities out there that get no focus because they're drowned out by all the main threats.
You know, like the fucking Halo Devices.

Something about Xenos being more spooky/evil than chaos just tickles my autism

but chaos is dumb

its a problem with chaos just being shitty, not xenos being too good

wouldnt have this problem if chaos wasnt a playable faction but you have to allow faggots to play the game too i guess

I wish we'd learn more about the Harrowing. Forgotten apocalypses make me moist.

Just the idea of a genuine outside context problem entering into the 40k universe and fucking shit up that badly is fascinating.

Yeah, I always liked that stuff. Between the Harrowing, the Age of Apostasy, and the Beast wars, the Imperium has taken it in the teeth three times since the Heresy and the Scouring ended.

FUCK YES THIS

I HAD FORGOTTEN THE NAME OF THIS

There have been some other big ones, although I can't remember them off the top of my head. There was that one Alpha-plus psyker who wiped out a huge area of space when he was killed.

The Catelexis Heresy.
Incited by the Cacodominus.
Defeated by the will and zealotry of the Black Templars.
It's death knell was so vast it has its own name in the history books. The Howling.

Yeah and the imperium lost like a million ships into the warp or something. That's a fucking shitload of ships, most of which are barely if not irreplaceable.

The Ghoul Stars have been cleansed several times by the Black Templars and still is a hot zone of xenos and hrud, I believe both crusades that went there were stopped because the High Marshalls were called to a greater threat, the last was Armaggedon.

Agreed. I love how there are tons and tons of horrors lost in the cracks between worlds. Each one strong enough to bring a Sector to its knees. And yet each might never be heard of beyond the borders of the sector it threatens.

The reason the major players are known as the biggest threats is because they can operate almost everywhere in the galaxy (excluding Tau). They're not threatening Sectors. They're threatening the Imperium as a whole.

It's also mentioned that the Rangda are divided between "Cerabvores" and "Osseivores," and that their incursions coincided with increased activity from the Slaugth and Khrave (who eat brains and bone marrow, respectively).

My headcanon so far is that the Rangda were actually a coalition of nightmarish alien races, and that the Slaugth and Khrave encountered up until that point had just been outcasts living on the fringe of their "civilizations's" territories.

Explain why you find it unsatisfactory.

>Spoopy X-Files Cosmic Horror Federation faction who exists only to make every other faction shit their pants

Fucking sign me up. The Crons could use some Battle Brothers.

Not him but I prefer my dark mysteries to remain as such. HH series fucked up by turning an age of myth and legends into hard canon.

If they ever touch Unification I will never read another BL book.

The Rangdan Xenocide is basically the current "Here be Dragons" of 30/40k. Serious enough to merit interest, but vague enough to fire up the imagination and give occasional audience-construed gems like .
I'm fully satisfied with user's sturdy looking theory, but if FW ever explicitly says that this is how it happened the mystique will die for me. I personally like very old lore to always have a small uncertainty to it.

>the notes of the Consul Obsequiari
I don't have the books on hand but I badly want to know what this is

Let's make up our alien/xeno device, etc right here and now.

Can Veeky Forums get shit done today?

Remember Space Marine field police from 1st edition? They're back. Space Marine commissars.

Can it be audience construed if the story is explicit, but spread across seven books?

So it is like the HH before?

More like first edition Dark Heresy.

Nobody needs to explain anything. You don't have the right to challenge another's feelings.

>>>>/tumblr/

Is this that shit that Carnac always brings up when 40k power level arguments start?

I always enjoyed the idea that it was an out of context problem so severe that remnant Dark Age AI's, Chaos entities, and a shitload of bodies and archaeotech had to briefly work together or everyone would lose.

I've always wanted to run a Rogue Trader campaign where the Echoing Vault lingers somewhere on the fringe. Where the players may or may not ever stumble upon it but if they do, it'd be the sort of thing you run immediately from. An arcane defense network guarded by a cabal of hyper-advanced, chaos-corrupted, probably insane but absolutely single-minded to keeping everyone the fuck away and making sure nothing ever, ever comes out.

Any report of it the players would make would vanish. It doesn't exist, you shouldn't exist, soon you may not exist when the assassins come.

Yu'vath (which the Halo Devices are 99,99% likely to be connected to) were/are both Xenos and Chaos. They made heavy use of the Warp, and may have worshipped Chaos in some manner.

40K is one of my favorite settings because you can throw basically anything into it, and things would still make some sort of sense. It feels like an actual galaxy--so huge that any weird side notes just get swallowed up. What GW doesn't understand with muh plot advancement is that fleshing out what they've already written would take a company like them several hundred years. Consider that they never even got to Cathy after 25+ years of Fantasy, and that was one fucking world.

To illustrate this, think of how many existing stories could be added to 40K with marginal edits. Just adding "and then Space Marines dropped from orbit and killed everyone" to the last line works suspiciously well for most written works.

To be fair, most of the time they're a planet of hats.
EVERYONE on Catachan is a swole Rambo-clone (Even the women)
Vostroya is Russia: The planet
Tallarn is not!middle-east
Praetorian Guard are victorian brits
...and so on.

Does anyone have the scan that tells of the space battle with some massive inter dimensional monster?

I recall reading it years ago in a friends 40k book, however I haven't seen it since.