What is a good way to abstract wealth for a game about a gang of mercenaries?

What is a good way to abstract wealth for a game about a gang of mercenaries?

I just hate money counting and putting arbitrary prices on things.

Other urls found in this thread:

systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/modern/smack/wealth.html
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wealth stat that the player rolls against. If the check fails, they can burn a point to get the item they want. If it passes, they get the gear.

Some sort of a tier system, when the gang gets successful enough all their equipment, housing, etc. gets better.

You can have a npc quartermaster who equips them depending on their experience, skills what is available what they have looted, if the company is succesful, if they bribe him or bring him whores. Make it an integral part of the campaign

This. D20 modern srd has the basic implementation for it and it works.

systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/modern/smack/wealth.html

give players some "resoures" every time they complete a task or whatever. Let one resource buy them all the standard supplies they will need for a dungeon (rope, food, torches).

FBPB

Characters have 4 status:
Broke: You rely on other people's favors

Good: You can get cheap things (a beer, an inn, a tool)
Wealthy: You can get fancy things (a sword, a bow, a month's lodging, repairing a ship, buying a horse)
Rich: You can get very expensive things (buying a ship, a masterwork sword, a house)

When you buy something appropiate to your level (or a whole lot of things of a lower level), roll + cha (to bargain).

On a 10+ you get it
On a 7-9, you get it but mark this square: [_]. If you buy something of this level again, you'll automatically go down the rank. Unmark this if you get some easy profit somehow (win a pool bet, steal a purse, whatever)
On a 6, you get it, you'll automatically go down the rank.

You can automatically get a single thing from a lower rank

You can't take things from upper ranks unless there is some reason in game for that

Bets, pawns and stolen purses can take you from poor to good

A job done good can take you to wealthy

A extremelly weird in-game thing can make you rich

i actually really like this

forgot to specify that those are Pbta rules, and you're supposed to roll 2d6, with Cha being 0 to 3

thanks!!!

they're pretty much an independent team, being supplied is not a choice

>buying a ship, a masterwork sword, a house
senpai these are not equivalent

Check out this guy with a cheap sword! What a dunce.

If you're using PbtA I think I'd split it down further, depending how granular you want to make this.

In REIGN organizations have several stats like wealth - intrigue - power etc and I always found that useful for mapping out actions in the game. For example, maybe your company has four or six (or however many is appropriate) stats like quality - numbers - wealth - fame - equipment and so on. Each of these has a status similar to that described in the post I personally like this approach because wealth is rarely bound up purely in terms of the cash you've got in a pseudo-medieval economy and it allows you to play around with how the stats impact each other (e.g. we have high fame but poor numbers so we're going to use a recruiting drive to convert some fame into numbers, and then we need to burn wealth to get equipment). PbtA uses freeform tags such as [ornate] [messy] [hungry] [violent] for tools like this, and that impacts how an object or person works in practice.

This would also let you get more detailed with what you add or minus from the roll, rather than just +CHA. If you have a bodyguard contract with a wealthy patron maybe you always add +1 to your wealth rolls, and you can choose to end that and pick up wages to get +3 to one roll but then no bonus going forward.

IDK, my 2c.

My sword says VLFBERHT. Does yours?

PbtA?

what is this?

wealth as its own stat, implication here is that all else being equal wealth is actually stable, minor in and out flux of resources don't rock the boat. Only major investments need to be borrowed against wealth, and all minor transactions just need to meet a certain prereq to be accessible. Like, a homeless guy with 0 wealth can't buy food unless he's somehow borrowing 1 wealth from someplace. but some college student living out of a dorm with a meal plan has the prereq 1 wealth and doesn't need to worry about food, but has to worry about paying tuition at a 3 wealth min. the retired 70 year old suburbanite with 6 wealth doesn't have to blink an eye at lending his deadbeat grandson 2 wealth to pay for college, but doesn't have the minimum 10 wealth needed to buy that vacation home in miami. etc...