/CofD/ &/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Curmudgeon edition

Previous Thread - >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A

>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/bucking-broncos-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question
What was the highest power-tier character you ever played in one of your games?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.com/w2b82sw
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A
theonyxpath.com/bucking-broncos-monday-meeting-notes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

FIRST FOR MAGE SUPREMACY

Hm... I guess it's a 3-dot mage. I didn't do anything close to interesting though (the three dots were in... prime).

>What was the highest power-tier character you ever played in one of your games?
Archmage in short archmage chronicle. He was a Bodhisattva who wanted to enlighten a whole nation and managed to do this as the part of his Ascension.

>What was the highest power-tier character you ever played in one of your games?

I don't think a sensory blood transmutation spell would work very well on a werewolf. Iirc they heal insanely fast, so unless the wound was inflicted by silver the "opening" you would be trying to push the spell through would be gone by the time you had it ready. And I think they get a chance to resist?

I could be wrong. Werewolf isn't my forte.

>not pop goes the universe.gif
Are you even trying?

While I highly doubt you actually pulled all of that off, it's still a scary prospective to consider. Entirely possibly to do by RAW Masters of the Art.

Douchebag Acanthus Archmaster who fostered true love as Quintessence. Then killed the lovebirds afterword as a cruel mockery of irony.

Why should I be trying for an offhanded comment? Would you rather me edit it into a big explosion or something?

Why not just use magic and cause the blood transfusion to seep through the flesh?

I didn't do any of that. I just find it really, really funny and somewhat relevant.

Strongest character I ever made was a Mummy. Sort of cheating though.

> What was the highest power-tier character you ever played in one of your games?

Projectors from Orpheus.

An Orphan-Grinder is incredibly powerful. Spirits without their Dopplegangers to worry about, even more so. It's like the makers of the game saw how difficult it was to use Arcanoi, then decided to make Horrors incredibly useful.

Anybody have Secrets of the Covenants?

>Why not just use magic and cause the blood transfusion to seep through the flesh?
Would that still be sensory though?

You can't transmute blood into acid without Life Arcanum for the same reason you can't turn person into Stone without Life and Matter Patterning: living tissue, including blood is purview of Life Arcanum for obvious reason. Besides, any sane ST would rule that is it the same as casting direct damage spell, not instakill like Unmaking.

Hey tg, can somebody explain me whats so bad about M20's rules for paradigm?

I read people mentioning a virtual adept casting with yoga but wasnt always the case that per raw a mage could have wathever paradigm they want and that the only thing stopping stupid shit like virtual adept with yoga was the setting question of why would such individual accepted in that tradition?

can someone explain to me why the default generation in Dark Ages is only one lower than the default generation in the modern version
when there's an 800 year gap there

What's 800 years to an immortal?

Anyone got the v20 ready made characters?

Clarifying, that's a book. Not you know, npc storage.

But that would also be good.

Hunter has pulled ahead by 2 votes, the largest lead I've seen so far.

Once I finish writing up the game document, I'll call the result and start recruiting.

strawpoll.com/w2b82sw

Because when they made the generations, they didn't take into account that the power drop from 7th to 8th generation was kind of stupid. DESU, it should be more gradual and there be 5 generations more at least.

Its in the owod mega you fool

Check the fucking pastebin

>pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A

It wasn't listed. But thank you kind user.

Have a Thyrsus

Its my pleasure , you cunt.

>theonyxpath.com/bucking-broncos-monday-meeting-notes/

This fucking meltdown over Asmodee and WWP making money off of an IP that Onyx Path just licenses from Paradox is hilarious. What an utter load of shit. I'm sure they'll all be pleased at Onyx Path employees promoting boycotting the products of the license holder.

And don't tell me its actually about Zak "Fuck the Cuck" Smith e-bullying Ken-sama when Onyx Path has and fucking Holden onboard.

Fucking ridiculous.

Who's Holden?

Exalted developer from what I hear a total ass. I miss plague of hats on the exalted forums.

It's about Zak, you fucking idiot. Zak and that child molester's book WWP reprinted.

"Asmodee and WWP making money off of an IP that Onyx Path just licenses from Paradox" being the source of the upset hasn't even been fucking suggested anywhere, you're making shit up.

Go choke on a bag of dicks.

The person you can thank for 2e Exalted being dogshit and 3e Exalted being stillborn.

>It has become clear, though, that some confusion and misapprehensions still exist as to Onyx Path’s relationship with the new White Wolf Publishing, as well as how we both relate to the original White Wolf that so many of you started out with.

>So: we have the original White Wolf, founded by Stew Wieck and Mark Rein*Hagen. We worked hard and we played hard, and created a huge amount of games and supplements and elbowed ourselves into 2nd place in the RPG biz, but 1st place in dark hearts everywhere. I say “we” as I was there, with Stew for years before the partnership was created, and was part of the management team throughout.

>Things got rough though as game and book stores start closing, and at the same time, the time our community would have spent on tabletop gaming gets chopped by the time folks are discovering computer MMOs. WW decides it needs to evolve into electronic gaming, which is hard to do when your revenue is dropping like a rock off a cliff, so WW gets a bunch of vikings drunk and we all wind up married the next morning.

Tell me about Caine, why does he wear the Mark?

>In other, more sensible words, White Wolf made a deal to “merge” with CCP, an Icelandic computer game company with a successful space MMO called EVE. They begin work on the WoD MMO. Meanwhile, a bunch of us keep the tabletop gaming part of WW rolling.

>But, eventually, the sucking black hole of need that was the WoD MMO demands every WWer be part of it, and until a bunch of us convince CCP that a 20th Anniversary Edition of Vampire: the Masquerade is a good idea, and they see the community reaction, there’s a very good chance that WW, as a publisher would not have lasted. But actually, the reaction is so strong that Eddy and I can convince CCP to let us do even more books!

>The euphoria of which lasts the several weeks that end up with a huge bunch of layoffs of people I care about, and, fed up with the situation, I leave CCP and then start Onyx Path with a license agreement from CCP so that Onyx can do tabletop versions of the WW Intellectual Properties (WoD, nWoD called now Chronicles of Darkness, and Exalted). In effect, I’ve licensed the game lines I helped create.

>So that’s nice. (I mean, it really is). But please note that we do not own nor control the WW IPs.

tl;dr it's not our fault, don't boycott CofD, FUCK WWP

I don't like holden but 2e had a shit foundation and the works before he came on like fucking scroll of the monk was an abomination. 3rd edition taking this long though is on him.

>Paradox revives the White Wolf Publishing name, and paw print, and through some level of corporate structuring, stick a company behind the name. (You’ll have to ask the new WWP some time how they are structured; I don’t know nor want to, honestly). They bring over a couple of their employees and those guys hire in a couple more folks.None of them is a creator or executive from the original White Wolf so it was not anyone at the new WWP who greenlit the previous computer games or books or, well anything, from the original WW days.

>So, to recap: Onyx Path is one of a growing set of licensees of the White Wolf IPs that are owned and controlled by the new White Wolf Publishing based in Sweden. Onyx Path does not have any say over projects created by other licensees or how the new WWP conducts its business.

Who /damagecontrol/ here?

>being the source of the upset hasn't even been fucking suggested anywhere, you're making shit up

Yeah right its only accidental that the whole outrage starts when WWP and Paradox start turning to other companies aside from OP to further the WW licenses.

>It's about Zak, you fucking idiot. Zak and that child molester's book WWP reprinted.

Oh okay so its about social politics, thank god, I mean considering Mage 20, Beast, Promethean and the entire history of Ken-sama, the amount of underage sexuality in later OP books, Holden's long history of ACTUALLY ERRATING SHIT TO WIN INTERNET ARGUMENTS, Infernal Exalted, unpaid freelancers, hack artists, tracing and failed kickstarter promises made me think for a second that Onyx Path is literally the worst offenders of the exact same shit you're up in arms about.

Carry on then with the doxing of a WWP employee then in the forums as you were before and don't forget to tweet Ken-sama to put just a bit of nihongophobic asian underage sex in Changeling the Lost 2e for old time's sake.

At least he hasn't forgotten to that between going from delusional weeaboo to blue haired male feminist nazi puncher...

Of course its about Zak...

Because he's an arrogant fool who won't apologize for his many mistakes.

Truly crafted in god's image.

Onyx Path.

They literally have no say in it and it doesn't hit their version of it. If only paradox was smart enough to crib cofd's mechanics for their revamp of the new line..

>If only Paradox was smart enough to cut the license from Onyx Path

Fixed that for you.

>M20 Cookbook (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)

Will it be as bad as M20 was?

I also like the part where they flat out lie about who is in WWP. Sure 90% of Onyx Path only came to White Wolf around nWoD's romance book or were actually the scourges of Exalted but its WWP whom are "fake"!

Thank god you cant look up shit on the internet!

That would probably get a lawsuit in action depending on how the deal was negotiated. Also canceling the line new people have gotten into will just lose them money.

Guy famous for bandwagoning and errating any hope of 2e Exalted not being a mechanical clusterfuck away.

Can you imagine how confusing all this will be to normies?
>Oh cool, I'll play the WTA rpg since I love the vidya?
>1e? Revised? 2e? W20? 3e? What does this all mean?
>Why are some books published by one company and others by another?
>What's Werewolf the Forsaken?

Considering the amount of IP abuse Onyx Path has been doing since day 2, I highly doubt it would take that much effort.

Basically only the VtM 20 line, the first version of Blood and Smoke and surprisingly Demon the Descent were anything relevant, and the v20 line is literally composed of copy pasted mechanics and text from older books. Especially glaring in DA v20. Then there is the issues of this or that kickstarter promises being cut without a word and the release dates pushed back, oh, HALF A DECADE.

But buy the cWoD merchandise you cucks! Only that and the 20 anniversary Vampire sells anyway.

If preludes was the starting dish I'm probably going to throw up at the main course. It doesn't really matter. We're going to be getting hyper specific metaplot from OWOD where millennials and immigration are going to be the forefront for no reason. I'm not sure anyone os going to get into something so sickingly unnecessary and topical.

Balance.

But generation and age are not really as related as it may seem. Age doesn't make you sterile as a vampire, an 7th gen vampire can embrace you in 1217 or in 2017, and he could've been embraced in classic Athens or victorian London.

And lo, the reason why stuff was renamed to CofD.

>That would probably get a lawsuit in action depending on how the deal was negotiated.

>Major video game and table game dev and publisher.

vs

>Minor niche tabletop book and merchandise company that cannot even pay their own freelancers and who's sole profit is from IPs they don't even own.

Deeply concerning.

you could even make a 5th generation but making one in 2017 seems like an unnecessary evil thing to do.

>I'm not sure anyone os going to get into something so sickingly unnecessary and topical.

Funny that was my opinion on generally everything Onyx Path released.

See also Occupy Wallstreet being vampires, muslim magician lady in every new book or Vladimir Putin's personal Promethean war machine.

>losing money when you don't have to
Do you even reality? Paradox could probably stall but losing money when you don't have to is retarded.

There's "we use super special genders for no reason but feminism" and "this is a direct parallel to the real world but magic."

See, I still flash over to the M20 characters, like the doggo transgender person or the unnecessary sidebars of 'xir is okay!' and shit like that. Unnecessary stuff that's a group-based thing, not something you need to shove into everything just because one of your full-timers is a transgender individual.

Does anyone have the Scion 2e mechanical preview?

>losing money when you don't have to

Exactly why stopping Onyx Path from utterly devaluing the IPs might be more worth it.

Exalted is the perfect example for this. Most funded tabletop RPG on kickstarter in its time, generated massive hype, fucking 2e books started turning a higher profit then back when White Wolf was alive.

Then a year passed.

Then another.

And then some more.

Then the leak came out and half the people swallowed the shit the other half begged OP to change it before release.

Then the release is out unchanged, and rife with art that White Wolf used to be sued over daily.

Then a second release with finally the shit people have been begging to be fixed and clarified from the beginning.

And who buys it? Jack shit fucking nobody thats who. Exalted is flat out kill at this point. They continue lackluster development of the supplements that should have been out 2-1,5 years ago and which would be required to ACTUALLY PLAY THE FUCKING GAME AT ALL because they cut it from the core book along with a slew of backer features that were promised and are still on the kickstarter page.

And its kill. Its kill for good. From at its time the largest interest generator to the big saviour edition selling less then FIRST EDITION EXALTED.

And not because that got popular.

So yeah maybe it would be best to quietly detach OP from oWoD and nWoD. Give it to fucking FFG, sure you'd get one book every solar eclipse but it would actually be good.

Soapboxing and all that. Which I guess ties into the overarching problem of Onyx Path vacillating between being a tabletop game company or a political propaganda company. You cannot, actually, have both.

Oh, I found it, if anyone wants it.

You'd think the storyteller system and its derivatives would be rote by now considering it has close to half a century history, yet somehow it still always gets shat up.

Exalted is kind of a different beast altogether. It had completely different writers and it looks like it had no real oversight. I liked Blood and smoke and think it's the best culmination of mechanics to date and mage and werewolf were fine. If just changeling gets mangled, whatever, didn't like dreaming didn't like lost. Can't get any worse than it was. Beast is the only REALLY fucking awful book of the bunch.

See, that's my problem. I don't feel like an RPG made for dark themes is the best place to soapbox. Or really, any RPG, as a place to soapbox. It's why I'm really not hopeful for what Martin is planning with 5e vampire, with the whole 'we must embrace social issues' and things from the Prelude like 'trans vampire who murders people who aren't SJW enough' and junk like that.

Myself, I go to RPGs to escape the bullshit of the real world, not immerse myself in social issues.

>Exalted is kind of a different beast altogether. It had completely different writers and it looks like it had no real oversight

Not that different, someone bends over to Holden and friends all the time, David Hill twirled his greasy weeb cock around in it a few times as well.

>I liked Blood and smoke and think it's the best culmination of mechanics to date

It was the least fucked of the Onyx Path "originals"

>and mage

Less so, Mage 2e lacks direction and its no wonder that erratas are ad infinitum. But its nothing, nothing, NOTHING compared to Mage the Ascension 20. It is the black hole and the epitome of Onyx Path nincompoopery. If you think Beast is bad, you should go look it up.

>werewolf were fine

This is actually true, if only werewolf had any amount of popularity left.

>If just changeling gets mangled

Already no hope.

>Beast is the only REALLY fucking awful book

My thoughts exactly till MtA 20.

But recall also Promethean 2e.

The Demon the Descent supplements.

Secrets of the Covenants.

Fucking Hurt Locker and every single non-mechanic segment of it.

>'trans vampire who murders people who aren't SJW enough

>White Wolf releases a game about being a typical Onyx Path regular.

What a world we live in!

I've dislike mta so m20 can't be musch worse. It's hit and miss but it's always hit or miss. Was promethean 2e that bad?

>I've dislike mta so m20 can't be musch worse.

Read it.

Read it now and behold your folly.

>Was promethean 2e that bad?

Mechanically I'd rate it 7/10, writing wise 0/10, a third of the book is written in xír xer xar. OP you know there is a proper pronoun for agendered people right? Don't fucking tell me its bad because its dehumanizing but using made up pronouns like as if they were aliens isn't.

I'm just saying I don't think I'll be that offended because I didn't like the setting. It could very well be a completely shit book. I didn't think V20 was good.

Other than the made up pronouns is the promethean setting really that bad? I don't remember 1e being that complex just try to become human is the point of the game.

If you give me a good upload site I'll send it to you.

>There's "we use super special genders for no reason but feminism" and "this is a direct parallel to the real world but magic."

Isn't the second the whole premise of World of Darkness?

>I don't remember 1e being that complex just try to become human is the point of the game.

Apparently you didn't get the memo that Shaquila the transneggro pedophile panromantic demisexual is the baseline human afterall.

Not down to topical events. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Onyx Path book had POPULAR UTUBER CALLED POODAPIE ACTUALLY EVIL SERIAL KILLER SATANIST.

Its the difference between urban fantasy and fantastic satire but tell that to OP.

>The Demon the Descent supplements.

I've missed those, what are their issues?

Not to the point where it feels like the setting expects you to start at an airport thats getting shot by terrorists.
That sounds like an exaggeration.

Not to mention that the backers STILL DO NOT HAVE THEIR PHYSICAL COPY OF THE BOOK!

How do you like to read about demon breeding and at the same time contradict the core book's basic assumptions?

Not to the point where the writer of the book (M20 in question) says 'the things you do put real energyy into your lives, you shouldn't play Nephandi because that puts that energy into your lives' like it's going to make you a fucking serial killer.

>That sounds like an exaggeration.

Hey one of the example xír prometheans is an androgynous hermaphroditic genderflud asexual russian assassin android built to be the ultimate S&M sex toy by someone involved in the KGB.

That cannot be true. Give me a page number so that I can look at the Thing That Should Not Be.

Is this the 90s? because that sounds like something I'd find in the tzime clanbook. only vampire.

Shit, I'm not OP, forgot to clear the name field from another thread.

Except Tzimisces were supposed to be otherwordly unholy horrors you should fear and despise.

This is why Fantastic Racism just doesn't fucking work when you try to depict real life discrimination.

You know its fucked when promethean iconics sound like oWoD Tzimisce.

Sounds plausible. Glorious leader Vladimir was quite a rascal in his earlier days.

Not all of them were, I'm not even taking about pcs but most of them were not whats his name. Also I'm remembering the tzimisce medieval ages book boy was there a lot of implied pedophilia.

Tzimies had some evolution in order to make them more relatable and therefore playable. They were still created as a villain clan and this was always obvious. This also happened with the Lasombra and all the Sabbath, really, but Tzimisces were always the weirder since that's basically what the clan's trasnformation philosophy strives for.

But in general terms, a Tzimisce vampire was by definition unable to become pro-anything propaganda. Unless you use it as an example of what not to do.

If a demon has more than one cover, do they all exist at the same time? Like, can a human know two different covers, thinking then different people. Or do covers you aren't currently using not exist?

No. Covers you aren't using don't exist.

Even if you look at it through a negative lens. Ravnos was probably the worst. Which is unfortunate because i always gravitated towards them because chimerstry is fun.

Setite called, you are smalltime.

Setities didn't get WoD Egyptians.

Gypsies wasn't about Ravnos either (though there were some overlaps since the roma were originally indian wanderers) Casteless criminal exiles

I never really got the hate for Gypsy as compared for all the class based, race based and sexuality based discrimination going on in Onyx Path books.

Racial group with weird and dark supernatural background is TOO RACIST when its the premise of the entire setting, where every carribean and african society is full of voodoo, every asian ones have jiangshi and youkai and every catholic is actually pedophile or homosexual in denial.

Planning a MtA 2e game set in ancient Rome, round about Julius Caesar's rise to power. Are there any supplements you'd recommend?

Was anyone portrayed well? It was pretty shit to everyone.

Damn, that's almost 60's men's magazine levels of commiesploitation.

Everyone was portrayed well considering the premise was "ITS LIKE REAL LIFE BUT HORRIBLE AND SUPERNATURAL"

But autists latch on to anything that tickles their retard bone just like D&D and "ITS SATANISM" moms. Except Onyx Path has decided to become the platform for the most degenerate and retarded corruption of liberal philosophy to ever avoid being purged off the planet, so instead of being ignored like they should this is now the baseline for CotD fans!

Sasuga Ian, is this what you imagined Onyx Path would turn into? Sure was worth giving Holden and Rose and the other cucks a chance and letting them take the whole shit over. Sure was fun sweating bullets in the Grand Masquerade too huh?

But it was always degenerate.

The difference was drinking the koolaid or not. White Wolf never eat their own shit up. To highlight, go read any oWoD vampire books and see the sidebars and paragraph boxes and compare them to Onyx Path.

One gives player advice how to make stuff work in a thematically fitting way, points out the difference between realism and roleplaying and generally is written with the core assumption that this is a roleplaying game in mind.

Meanwhile Onyx Path literally lectures the players on current year far leftist political ideologies as facts and actually insults the reader if they don't happen to swallow the currently discussed bullshit.

But if you want further proof of the grave differences, look up any forum. I highly doubt you'll find a lot, or any, instances of fans and company employees doxxing the employees of other companies for stating things that disagree with their personal identity politics but if you go to the off topic section of the Onyx Path forums you can partake in the festivities yourself at any time.

I'm sure Paradox will look kindly on this.