So I'm getting into Warhammer through Total War: Warhammer. I love all the lore, the setting...

So I'm getting into Warhammer through Total War: Warhammer. I love all the lore, the setting, and the factions that have been been presenting in the Total War game. I understand that the traditional fantasy has been retconned for Age of Sigmar. My question is, do people actually perform all the silly rules playing the tabletop irl? If I go to my local game shop will I see a bunch of skinny, greasy nerds yelling battlecries and pretending to ride horses?

I can get past the space marine knights. I can't get past this.

Ive never seen anyone perform any of the acts myself, they just explain they are going to take the benefit (some people roll for it on a 4+). Not only that there are only a few units with those rules and no new models since the game launched have introduced more rules like them.

I've only seen universal mockery for those rules, so I'm not surprised they didn't expand them.

Wait there's rules that tell you to act things out or yell stuff in AOS?

There were briefly when it first came out. They've since never been mentioned.

You could just play Kings of War and use GW models?

Or, use the old editions. WHFG has a scan of every book.

There are different ones for different models. For example: "You can add 1
to all hit rolls made for a Wargor if, before
rolling the dice, you let loose a primal
warcry. Your warcry must use no actual
words, but angry grunts and raging snorts
are encouraged" or " If, during your hero phase, you
pretend to ride an imaginary horse, you
can re-roll failed hit rolls for the Averland
Runefang until your next hero phase. If
you actually talk to your imaginary horse
you can re-roll failed wound rolls as well."

It's not really a retcon, it's more of a continuation of the story. The old world is destroyed now but all that history still happened

My favourite is,

"If you kill yourself immediately, you are spared from ever having to play AoS again."

Holy shit it's almost as if the people who made it were insulting their fan base. I didn't even know that was a thing

if you want to enjoy Fantasy just stick with the computer game. youll get more enjoyment out of it.

This isnt true. One of the "fyre" slayer characters has a silly rule

Found it

To be fair, the Fyreslayers were the second faction released for the game, and to this day, are considered angry flailing babies.

Those weird rules were on older legacy models, most were just flat out replaced with updated rules for the grand alliances.

Some models still have them but they're typically models nobody used in WHFB, let alone AoS

>not being able to bring the bants to each game

Fyreslayers fucking suck btw

>falling for this weak bait
>in the current year
I expected more from you, tg

Did we? There's no ree about muh video games, no edition warring, a little laughing about the rules, but everybody's civil.

If this was bait he can't be happy with the results.

Yeah this isn't bait, I was reading the rules and wondering if anyone actually did them.

The Total War game is lots of fun and would be a great introduction to WHFB, if it still existed.

>I understand that the traditional fantasy has been retconned for Age of Sigmar.

Retcon is the wrong word as that would imply that the events of Fantasy didn't occur and if they didn't occur then AoS could not be a thing as it currently is. The most I can recall off the top of my head is AoS not spelling out the entire history of characters who came from Fantasy because in some way it's not important.

>do people actually perform all the silly rules playing the tabletop irl?

The silly rules were meant to be a joke and a last hurrah, something for the people who didn't treat Fantasy super seriously and could recognize that such rules could be ignored or modified. Outside of one AoS unit, said rules are no longer done and are pretty much the purview of armies as they were in Fantasy. If such units are given updated rules for one reason or another then the joke rules are replaced.

They brought it upon themselves by whining that Fantasy had been made too grimdark. It's also arguably quite in line with GW's philosophy that you can do whatever you want with the rules they provide and aren't obligated to follow them to the exact letter. Really the only problem is that initially this was their only approach and it took them a bit to add more rules for the people who'd like something more in a competitive or more restricted vein.

In a way you could possibly look at AoS as GW both embracing the roots of both 40k and Fantasy having RPG aspects and the idea that the main focus is supposed to be gaming with a close group of friends or a club. Of course this doesn't translate into places like the US where the club is replaced by a FLGS where you might have a core group of regulars, but just as often may end up playing a pickup game against someone off the street.

The silly rules don't really count anymore. Most armies got new and updated rules

And even those not updated where faqed away as auto-triggering.

>I've only seen universal mockery for those rules
Translation: I am a basement dwelling NEET faggot that hates fun and spends too much time on internet message boards

>Yeah this isn't bait
Fuck off. At least be more creative next time.

It's encouraged in AoS to use house rules that are fun for both players. Obviously for competitive play there is a strict format, but for casual play you are told to do "whatever makes the most sense and is fun for all players". It's a super casual friendly game which is most likely one of the big reasons tg hates it.