Hating on based Scottish Viking midgets with a mineral fixation

>hating on based Scottish Viking midgets with a mineral fixation

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't think many hate them, there is just little excitement.

Acshually, in my setting Dwarves are Jamaican sailors

I didn't have dwarves at all in my last three settings and they were actively better for it.

Explain this, dwarffags.

In mine they're aquatic south-african dog-folk.
At least try to be original.

Because you focused your limited imagination on a fewer number of races.

Dumb

>limited
around 8 core races, plus silly variants.

Even in a setting with dwarves i never actually had a dwarven NPC becaue sometimes in the process i was like "no, wait, this race fits better".

I mean, if you strip away memes, they're just silly midgets. Dwarves are a literal meme race.

Not all dwarves.

>Giving a shit about the billionth identical dwarf character you've seen.
If you've seen one dwarf, you've seen them all.

Yes, all dwarves.

No, not all dwarves. That's fucking boring.

Viking Dwarves
Snow White Dwarves
Rumpelstiltskin Dwarves
Maggot Dwarves
Hindu Dwarves/Yakshini
Arab Dwarves
Jew Dwarves
Deep Dwarves/Duregar

All fucking dwarves. Not all fucking vikings.

Only like 3 of those are even dwarves in a way anyone would consider them dwarves. The rest are other types of short people.

Then make them dwarves?

Why is your creativity so narrow in scope?

Personally I like dwarves, but not as much as I like elves. I usually write my settings in which the dwarves are at least on neutral terms with elves, but I usually have them more on almost level of good-natured competition. This is because constant renditions of "I never thought I'd die side by side with an elf -- what about side by side with a friend" are infinitely more tolerable than listening to grumblings of "fucking elves" for two hours straight every time the dwarf PC so much as see an elf going about his business, let alone have to talk to him.

>fucking elves
youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0

I do. Or rather I hate that they've been given a Scottish accent even though it makes no sense and sounds ridicilous.

You are really contributing to the ever increasing dwarf-hate around here.

>elf just stands there and takes it
it's the little touches that make it great

This.

The more some fuck fellates a bearded midget on this board, the more I want to play and write about elves.

>This race fits better
So your races are just 2d charicatures? Okay

And a scottish viking isn't?

REMOVE ELVES YA SCUNNERS!

I'm working on a civilization of dwarves right now. They populate the paths that they (and others lost to history) have carved under and through a massive mountain range, treacherous to pass over and quite laborious to move around. They also tussle constantly with changing borders within these caverns, as they trade territory constantly with kobolds, raiders, and monsters that lurk through the various far-flung tunnels. Their society is caste-based, with roles assigned to dwarves at birth, occasionally sending them away from their families to other clans of relative, higher, or lower station based on the portents of their priests. This is based on a religious belief that the greatest god in their pantheon has predestined every dwarf to a certain path, and that any deviance from it might cause their creator and savior's plan to fail. Those that leave their stations are outcasts, and if they return, are left as untouchables in the gutters. A rare few are deemed at birth or later to be "free-walkers", those whom the savior has a special plan for that demands they follow their whims and do as they see fit. They also assume that other races have no part in the plan unless under extraordinary circumstances, or if they try to dismantle the paths of righteous dwarves.
Their portents and readings come from gems and other treasures of the earth, as they believe the world itself is a massive script of the inevitable scribed on a stone tablet and rolled into form. Some also say the moon is another scroll, though this popular heresy is dismissed by leadership.
There's also going to be terrace farms on the less hospitable mountain regions.
What are some cultures/aspects I could look into for further inspiration?

kek

>Scottish Viking
Fuck this shit. Dwarves must be Semitic like Tolkien envisioned.

Always look into detail about how a city or large group of people acquire food and water.

In the South American Andes, farmers have used terraces, known as andenes, for over a thousand years to farm potatoes, maize, and other native crops. Terraced farming was developed by the Wari' and other peoples of the south-central Andes before 1000 AD, centuries before they were used by the Inca, who adopted them. The terraces were built to make the most efficient use of shallow soil and to enable irrigation of crops.

And look into how they acquire additional resources. If they control a mountain range, then they control the passage of trade from one side of the range to the other. Emphasize that. They have preferential access to goods from both places, they tax the goods that pass through, and they have dwarven things to trade besides acting as middlemen.

So look into how the silk road worked.

The caste system points to examining how the Indian culture works, but I think you could push it into a more interesting direction if you went far more oriental, perhaps China or Japan, or even Vietnam.

>meme race fits perfectly in a meme genre
Who would have thought?

I hate them because they aren't sufficiently like Biblical Jews for my liking. Anybody who has read the Old Testament and didn't say to themselves "there's something Dwarven about this business" either didn't read it or isn't into Veeky Forums stuff.

>not giving dwarves a Nedderdüütsch accent
It's like he doesn't even know one lick of 13th century Hungarian history.

>tfw elf thread has more replies

Little excitement = most comfy (in this case exclusively)