Reminder that scythes are a perfectly reasonable weapon choice in games with wizards and demons and so on

Reminder that scythes are a perfectly reasonable weapon choice in games with wizards and demons and so on

k

Reminder that scythes are shitty weapons
I'm willing to overlook that in the name of fun, though.

/thread

You make people obsessed with katanas look a million times cooler

I really hate the "there are things in this universe not in ours so things that are the same should function differently" meme

I agree... mostly. But it's largely thematic. Why can't you have a warhammer that reaps the soul of any skull it crushes? Why does it have to be an enchanted scythe?

Weapons should function exactly the same as in our world, only some of them should be magic.

Because agriculture.

So it would be interesting if a culture had different implements for harvesting. Say a large hammer that hits tree to knock off coconuts. Or a great spade that uproots unknowing turnips and sends them to their next life. Imagine what the Reaper Men of other, flatter worlds may utilize. Or of the colder, harsher world's, where the mechanical thresher holds sway.

If they function the same as in our world then all slashing and cutting weapons that don't cauterize wounds should always inflict a certain range of bleed damage from negligible to the "You have roughly a minute to live". Among other things.

> Reminder that scythes are a perfectly reasonable weapon choice
Only if it's a conceptual weapon tied to the concept of "reaping" - or some sort of other magical bullshit.
Otherwise, that's a paddlin'.

Scythes are good if wielded by this guy

I find the idea of someone spading someone to death while saying some kinda pun like, "You won't TURN UP in the next life" amusing. It's like you're taking all the edgy out of reaping.

No.

This is pretty great.

The official ranking:
Shovel > Manure/Hay Fork = Plough >>> Sledgehammer > Woodaxe >>> Sickle > Scythe

There's nothing more satisfying than shoveling someone to death.

>Hope you POTATO your god enough to get into heaven.

Only if you're a wizard

t. WWI veteran

>t. 8 bit retro hero

I do like the Axe Reaper, especially for forest dwellers. Remember that we fear becoming the crop being harvested, so it wouldn't necessarily be the ents that have a cultural fear of the axe, but rather the beastfolk, wildmen, fey, and other native things in the deep woods that have never seen a cornfield.

Presumably mole people, dwarves, and other underdwellers fear the pick and the hammer of the... rock reaper? The Rocker?

The plow is just asinine for many reasons.

If demons and wizards are as common and as powerful as they are in D&D 3E, no pure melee weapon user is perfectly reasonable.

>MAGGOTS

A scythe can look good on art, but I feel that any sequences where the scythe is actually swung as a weapon makes it lose its... edge, really.

When the scythe is swung, the effective blade contact area is ridiculously small, I'd rather see a polearm being swung instead.

Makes more sense than fighting in a miniskirt

Yeah, sure. Given the existence of magic, the sympathetic connection with Death could make scythes more deadly than they are in our reality.

Chainsaw rollerblades are my weapons.

Reminder that fighting the undead hinges less on the combat effectiveness of your weapon than it does on the ability of your weapon to force the concept of death on those unable to die.

>tfw you kill one of the most powerful beings in the universe with a kitchen knife

That's why they forged their blades straight before using them as weapons.

I hate the "realism should be maintained in a fantasy setting but only for certain things that have no reason to exhibit realism" meme

>3e
>>>/pfg/

To be honest, a scythe's shape can easily be replicated by a large war pick. It'd still invoke the symbolism without having the weapon stretching suspension of disbelief.

Either your scythe needs to be set parallel with the shaft instead of perpendicular, or your shaft needs to be curved and have handles like a scythes traditionally does.

I enjoy some weeaboo fighting magic but at least pretend to be somewhat accurate in one of those ways. (you cannot reap like Death without them handles)

Deathscythe(gundam) only worked because the entire blade was a destructive laser beam, sharpening the outside of a similar nonbeam scythe wouldn't help your straightshaft.

Has to be longswords only, with occasional morning star or dagger thrown in otherwise it's weaboo trash.

Yeah, polearms are a thing. Good luck dragging a 10 foot pole through a dungeon with a 7 foot ceiling.

At least with an *energy* scythe the whole thing is a cutting instrument aside from the handle. Those are reasonably aceptable with minimal handwaving.

With metal scythes the cutting edge is pointed towards yourself, not the enemy, which means you have to give up your reach and pull in awkwardly to hurt someone.

Or stab them with the tip, but then just go get yourself a big pickaxe and wreck face properly.

Depends on tone and theme, fuck you

This

Yup. Pretty much any situation a scythe would be POTENTIALLY usable a spear or similar weapon would just be outright better.

A scythe is not a reasonable choice. At least mount the blade straight for a literal poor man's glaive, unless you're fighting wheat.