What is the most retarded curse ever and why is it "The Curse of Immortality"?

What is the most retarded curse ever and why is it "The Curse of Immortality"?

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/51824115/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's not retarded in this case.

I guess immortality could be seen as a curse if it doesn't come with the eternal youth or healing component, but most "who wants to live forever" talk just comes off as sour grapes to me

Immortality is a curse tho.
Literally everything you and your ancestors once found meaningful in life only exist on a limited time scale. Once you go beyond that, you are no longer human.

So I've seen this pop up a couple of times. What is the point of cursing some one with immortality? I can see a bunch of ways that this can be potentially devastating but just as it is on itself it is the dumbest shit ever.
Some of the ways that this can be fucking devastating:
1. Curse some one with immortality and then lock them up with a creative lich torturer. Couple with the curse of sanity so that they can't seek the sweet relief of insanity.
2. Curse with immortality and launch into space.
3. Lock up in an indestructible white featureless room.

I am sure you guys can think of other creative ways that this can be turned into a really awesome curse.

Yeah that's true but think of the possibilities that can happen if you have infinity time on your hands. Your pet project for your spare time can literally be conquer the stars. and you will be able to do it. Cuz you are immortal.

Well that can be true but i mean the more classic meaning of freezing you in your current age and can't be killed by any means.

Because you will be forever locked out of Heaven and God's grace

An interesting thought about immortality, If skin cells fall off on their own accord, Would immortality prevent that?

Think about it, Elephantiasis but ongoing until you would die, But you can't die.

What would be the point?

>what is the curse of immortality
Watching everything you loved die before you can, never being able to love someone becuase they will die and if you can breed your children will die and you will need to watch them. You eventually realize this you end up living alone disconnected from the world unable to relate to any other human, as you will surpass them In knowledge and wisdom in a matter of centuries.

Assuming the levels of immortality you may not need to eat or drink so food no longer becomes meaningful, what are you to do with your time once you have read everything done everything. You are forced to walk around as an empty soul forced to bare witness to the end of the universe, isolated, alone, and with out any connection to a living being.

Nihilists exist among the mortal population. Most of them don't just want to kill themselves.

Having to watch them remake all your favorite movies over and over again, each time worse than the last.

Is it the immortality where you can't be killed or the immortality where you don't age. If you can't be killed then have fun after heat death of the universe

If it's ye olde medieval setting, sooner or later people find out something fishy about you and rumours spread. You become shunned, and once the first peasant mob fails to burn you on a stake (you don't die!), you either get exiled or bound with chains in a dark dungeon, forgotten by all.

If it's a modern setting, sooner or later the government notices that there's a 200 year old guy paying taxes. Or not paying taxes, so they send an investigation. Or using fake ID to prevent the problem, and being caught by the cops. Once they find out that there is an immortal, get ready to be captured and aggressively researched at some hidden facility.

>Immortality
>Not a curse
At first it sounds cool. You don't get to deal with your fragile body and mind, you don't get things like aching bones or cancer or alzheimer or decaying teeth and you get to do all the cool shit there is in the world. You get to watch humanity advance, invent new shit and you get to see the rise and fall of new empires.

And then you get to experience the extinction of mankind. And the planet becoming unsustainable to life. And the sun exploding. And new stars and planets being formed with minimal chance of being able to even sustain life, let alone actually have life (abiogenesis is impossible to our knowledge). And let's not forget about floating around in space for literally billions of years before the universe ends. Best case scenario: heat death, which translates to you floating around forever in literal nothingness. Worst case scenario: big crunch, and your entire body (as well as literally the entire fucking universe) is compressed into an impossibly tiny point. Can you even begin to imagine how that feels? Imagine being compressed into a 1cm by 1 cm cube by a machine and somehow surviving that. Now imagine that on a billions and billions times smaller scale.

I don't care what kind of cool shit we as a species invent in 200 years, I'd rather die right now than experience all of that.
If only because you never actually die. Even if the material world disappears, you still live by the most extensive definition of immortality.

What if you're not immortal, you just don't age, is it still a curse?

>Watching everything you loved die before you can
That's not a problem exclusive to immortals. People outlive their loved ones die all the time and they usually choose to continue living. You know the saying, it's better to have loved and lost?

>Once they find out that there is an immortal, get ready to be captured and aggressively researched at some hidden facility.

That's why you go public with immortality and volunteer your services to help other people achieve greater longevity, if not immortality. Make it all very public, make yourself the hero who wants to share your gift with the world. The scientists and government get what they want and they have incentive not to disappear you to some secret research facility in Area 51.

I have actually thought about the logistics of how to get away with it, the only way I could think is you start in the Middle Ages to acrew your fortune in gold so come modern times you are loaded. Use a "life time" to set up your castle basically, be competently off grid, and then pay some one off to manage the money

DESU OP, I don't really care about your bait since we had a thread about it a few days ago: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/51824115/

But I would very much like to strangle the graphic designer who made your image.

>What if you're not immortal, you just don't age, is it still a curse?
Guess not. You'd still have to deal with everyone around you dying, but you'd probably get over it and become a jaded and disconnected hermit adventurers can come to visit to ask about the good ol' days before [non-descript cataclysm]. What's important is having a way out when humanity/life as we know it ends.

>People outlive their loved ones die all the time
Most parents don't outlive their children, and the ones that do are usually broken for life. It's natural to outlive your parents, but not to outlive your children.

Immortality is often a curse because most people we don't know how to truely live, death doesn't make life have meaning how you live it does. However, you are likely to go insane at some point so there is that.

Pretty much.

If your setting isn't stuck at iron age for millenia like most bad fantasy settings, sooner or later it will be incredibly difficult to keep this kind of thing under control.

Every 1st world country had citizen ID for like a century now, give or take. It's not too much of a leap to think that at some point every citizen will be chipped or otherwise accounted for.

Immortality is not a curse. With enough time and resources, you can transcend our conceptual limits of technology and science to being a god being, creating new universes and physical laws at your whim.

With this power, you could even set everything to your liking and then make yourself ''forget" who you are for a set amount of time so you can live an infinite number of lives and never get bored.

Maybe you already have.

Which is why you would need to be off grid or have basically a trust family who is bound to you and you pay for everything

watch highlander and you will understand why immortality sucks

To become capable of being off the grid, you'd have to actually participate in the system at some point. If you become immortal today, you either do crime to keep it less traceable and risk being caught and put into the system forcibly or do it through legitimate means and essentially put yourself into the system.

And if you become immortal at medieval age, chances, unless you're of higher class or a monk who spent all his life at a monastery, you're a peasant who doesn't know how to read. Good luck with that - all you'll know is how to live off the land, and educating yourself would involve interacting with society which will get you noticed at some point. And social mobility isn't generally a thing, so good luck...

Dice+2d6

this

Watch this film and tell me again that the concept of immortality can't be made frightening.

Yes, and?

Is that supposed to be scary, sad or something else? We have a lot of things today that are vastly different from what our ancestors, or even our grandparents had.

I look it like this: Imagine if constant pain was something you had to endure. Every day, 5 at noon, you'd be punched in the balls.

This would be what your ancestors had to endure. This is what you have to endure. People would have made poetry, plays, songs and movies about the inevitability and poignant beauty of being banged in the ball sack.

Now, someone comes along and says "Hey, what if, you didn't have to get battered jewels every day? Wouldn't that be a curse? I mean, you would take away something that makes us human. You wouldn't be able to appreciate the life without a constant hammering of the precious."

That's how I view death. It's some inevitable shovel punch to the dick, that does no good to anyone.

No one has survived death, and that's just sad.

You don't have to die to go to heaven.

Oh immortality is all fine and dandy until you realize your ass will still be around doing fuck knows what at the heat death of the universe and everything will be perpetually shit from there on cause you will have to agonizingly endure whatever the shit post heat death, this is ignoring the day to day shit, like at some point in the future the government figures out your immortal and proceeds to capture and study your ass to figure out immortality of its own regard, or how to remove it.
theres all kinds of reasons why immortality is shit, its fine and dandy now, but the way this particular curse works is by looking at the future and knowing full damn well bad things are inevitably down the road.

I feel like it only becomes a curse once you get to the "everyone can have it" stage. If YOU and nobody else is immortal, you just won the biological fucking lottery, you now have an excuse to go around being God compared to the commonfolk.

Overpopulation is gonna be a bitch once every Average Joe can afford it though.

>What is the point of cursing some one with immortality?

To make them experience the unending shit of life. The exact curse depends on the mechanism of immortality but typically ennui or endless punishment are the stick.

I pity you if you're not imaginative enough to see why immortality could become unfortunate eventually.

See smug anime girl.

40000 years into the future, the human race dies out. You're left by yourself in an empty world.

Do you know what happened to sailors, who got stranded by themselves on an uninhabited island? After a few years you will probably forget how to speak. You will go insane, with only voices within your head for company.

>You don't get to deal with your fragile body and mind

I'd like to interject that you still need to deal with the minds failings. Rather, at some point you will go crazy. The only difference is that you will also at some point get over it.

Immortal is not indestructible or unstoppable, enjoy having your limbs cut if and serving as a demons torture toy and cocksleeve for the rest of time, so yeah immortality could majorly suck.

Any kind of curse where it's actually a ridiculous power boost or else massively punishes the people around the cursed
>"You have profaned my temple, I curse you with becoming a vampire! You shall suffer with being nigh immortal and unstoppable and driven to kill loads of other people, who can't do anything about it because of all the amazing abilities this curse comes with. But after hundreds of years you'll get bored! Ha!"

it's even worse
because you will eventually live long enough to go crazy again
and then get over it again
and AGAIN

Yeah, but in medieval ages its way easier to just drop off the grid. go a couple towns over and no one knows you. for all intents and purposes, you are just some traveler staying at a bar.

You're thinking pretty small.
For one thing curses may be intended to be more far reaching than an individual. Turning some cunt into a vampire and making him a curse upon his own kind can be a god punishing humanity as a whole.

Alternatively if death isn't the end then people dying isn't as big of a deal as some guy getting his soul turned inside out and becoming a monster who will never know peace

Yes, the villages where everyone knows everyone else, and you are shunned for being a stranger.

Yeah, but you are fucking immortal. Who cares about those guys. Yeah, you are a stranger, but many markets in major cities rely on tourism and such. A traveler is not that odd an occurrence that people would take notice of it more than "oh, there's a new dude at the inn. He'll probably only be there a day or two" and fuck off back to their fields.

>immortal
>mind failing
Pick one

>Off the grid
>Major city
Pick one.

It could be a curse. Let's day you are truely immortal. I mean NOTHING can kill you. Sure, things will be good for awhile....until all life goes extinct for whatever reason. You'll also survive the sun going supernova, and left to endlessly drift around in space, all alone and with nothing to do. Eventually, after billions on years, you will get to witness the death of the universe, and get to sit all alone in complete nothing.

you aren't very bright, are you?

No one knows your name. Simply wandering through, you can make up a fake name, fake anything, and get in. You could be fucking anyone and almost no one would care.

Seriously, the "Grid" in medieval times implies you stay around long enough for people to actually remember you. Come back in 20 years, no one will think a thing of it. Different name, same face, people will just think it an odd coincidence, if they even remember the last time you were there.

Seriously, you are giving medieval people way more credit than you should.

What if you're stuck in a Prometheus type situation?

That's why, assuming Heat Death is the way things are going to go, you build while you can, you build yourself a space ship/station full of people, and you get them out into deep space, never to set foot on a planet again, and you become a tiny god of that space ship, teaching and learning from those people. You power this ship with manpower, recycling everything.
You have millennia, eons even, to plan and build it out, it's totally possible to create a space station that operates on a perfect cycle of life and death to keep yourself entertained through the heat death of the universe

With immortality, there's two possibilities for the mind. Either you are stuck in that same point like your body is, so you are like that guy that forgot his wife every time she walked in, or your brain still processes information.

Either way, your mind is failing. With the former, its already failed. You can't process information because the immortality kicks out the change to your brain.

In the latter, your mind will eventually fail because the human brain is built on hundreds of small failings. To put it into computer terms, you'd eventually blue screen. Then you'd need to wipe the drive and reboot from a more stable backup.

Either way, your mind is fucked.

Normal people would actually hate being turned into a monster that preys on humans.

Vampires, werewolves, etc are all examples of body horror. You're cut off from the normal human experience, likely forever, and you're forced to prey on your own kind until you turn into an uncaring monster and actually revel the experience.

Watch Interview with the Vampire.

So the immortality prevents the biological failings of the everything except the brain because ???

Thats what i said. Either it stops the biological failings in the brain, I.E you become forget man, or it for some reason doesn't and you are still capable of processing information, which eventually causes you to go crazy.

Either way, you are fucked.

brain has limited capacity for memory.
it's not a problem until you live for a few centuries, then it's definitely a problem.

and what, immortality should also make you safe from going insane? that's way more than simple immortality.

>it's totally possible to create a space station that operates on a perfect cycle

It's not though.
There's always going to be entropy.

No-one got this?

okay, except you're immortal, which means you don't need to intake energy if we're going with the version of immortality that makes you no longer need to eat/drink
which means you could, in theory, fight against entropy

Your brain doesn't fail, it just runs out of room.
Arguing for infinity memory capacity is like arguing for unlimited burst strength.

You could, no one else.
This leads to the being left alone forever in an infinite cold void thing.

>brain has limited capacity for memory.
I've seen pictures of brains before and they definitely don't look like hard drives.

At that point you will most likely have managed to achive nirvana.

>Death gives life meaning
Gargle my balls. Death removes meaning.

Forgive me if I'm being an idiot, but if you're powering a space station by riding a stationary bike along with everyone else, thus adding to the energy without taking from it, wouldn't that prevent the whole "being alone" thing?
I... kinda don't get the idea of heat death in relation to structures, would they fall apart at the molecular level or something?

Nirvana is death for all purposes.

riding a stationary bike doesn't create free energy.
you eat food (chemical energy) which adds to your body's innate reserve, and then you use that energy to generate electricity by riding a bike generator.

it's not a perfect energy transfer because some energy turns into heat, sound, etc.

>Edgy 15 year old Veeky Forums 'intellectuals' try to prove that all the masters of art, literature, and philosophy for the majority of human existence who said that immortality would be more of a curse then a blessing
>"I-It's sour grapes! Who cares if you have to watch all your friends and family die, who cares if you can't get attached to anyone or anything? I'd find ways of entertaining myself forever obviously lol!'

Riding a bike really doesn't produce that much energy.
You could keep the light on for a little while longer, but eventually even the bike you're riding on is going to succumb to entropy and fall apart.

What about those people who lose their soulmate and never get over it?

this is also why all those "cold, detached mercenary who is 100% efficient and has no friends or family" characters are cancer.

connections to other humans make you human. you've created a statblock monster.

If somebody is immortal, the heart will heal.

Being immortal doesn't make you a super-genius. Yes, you have unlimited time to learn, but your brain is still human- If you can't do complex spatial equations and figure out a unified field theory now, you're probably not going to be the one to do it 2000 years from now.

And even if you do, there's the heat death of the universe looming in the future. If this is one of those 'immortality = can't die from any means' things, you're eventually going to be trapped in the center of an unfathomably dense point in space, subjected to an eternity of crushing agony.

There's always the fact that you have an eternity of floating through the vast void space when everything breaks down leaving only iron stars to look forward to.

If I could live forever, I'd have forever to come to terms with it

theres pretty much nothing wrong with it, as long as you can get over the fact that everyone you love will die before you. that doesn't mean you can't make new friends constantly. I imagine this is what elves have to do when they become friends with humans.

>achieve immortality
>get captured by enemies
>they encase you in molten silver
>throw you in the ocean

There are downsides, clearly.

true but you'll also get to witness the birth of the new universe because science and shit.

well yes, but if you don't need to eat food, then you'd create more energy than you use
there's gotta be a solution to entropy man, I refuse to believe all of existence will eventually fall apart into dust

>be encased in molten silver for 10000 years
>get discovered by chance
>emerge a god
>track down the descendants of the ones who trapped you
>unleash plagues and strife on them
I really don't see a downside to this

>What if you're not immortal, you just don't age, is it still a curse?

Not unless you get spiritual with it.

Both time and strength are limited.
If time is no longer limited but strength remains so then you will eventually succumb to baseness.
For example if god is real and hates faggots then if you finally decide to experiment at the age of 1004 you'll end up on his shit list all the same.

Your mind will have surly deteriorated into unthinking catatonia by then.

>Who cares if you have to watch all your friends and family die
Everyone's family dies. They handle it fine.
Having a friend die sucks but people get over it and remember them.
Who says you can't get attached to anyone? Do you live the person you love the moment they get diagnosed with cancer and you know they'll die before you?
Humans are innately creatures of habit. There are normies that could go on doing the same thing day in and day out for an eternity and they don't realize how empty and hollow their lives truly are. An immortal will just take advantage of this fact in human behavior and exist with it.
Literally the only problem with immortality is the break down of the universe.

Watching everyone you love die one day forever would legit suck, especially if you believed in the afterlife.

Friends, lovers, children, pretty heartbreaking desu

I dont know about you, but floating in a black featureless void after all energy and matter have faded for uncountable numbers of years until by random chance quantum tunneling creates a new universe doesnt seem fun to me

Might be a cool bbeg origin.

>the first lich. older than the stars. keeper of profane knowledge from before the world was wrought.

speak for yourself. Most of the doom and gloom comes from being completely alone, which believe it or not some people are good at handling. If I was drifting through the nothingness of space, earth long gone after our sun imploded, knowing I will be completely alone until I through chance get pulled into another planets orbit and fall into it like a meteor. I would still not be worried because I know for a fact that I can't die. Imagine a human with zero fear, completely zero fear of death.

How do you think you end up with immortal aberrations that seemingly want to destroy the existence and kill all people?

Its not about handling loneliness, there just is a bare minimum of stimulation your brain needs to continue functioning.

This man gets what a gift that it truly is.

The new universe could have completely different laws of physics and constants and shit. Same deal with a false vacuum collapse
How much would it suck to be in a universe you can't understand and shouldn't be able to exist in

Curse of everything is extremely slippery to walk on.

Curse of always need to pee but can't pee.

Curse of hiccups.

Curse of always feel like there's something right above your head you're about to bump into.

again tho, some people are good at entertaining themselves and keeping their shit together. not everyone would come out of a 1 billion year drift through space and be a sane functional person, but some people might. and we haven't even gotten into the potential of gaining cosmic super powers from being immersed in direct radiation from other suns/stars

What don't die can't live

Who cares

Being insane is still better than being dead

>fap into the void of dead space for eternity

>but some people might

I doubt that.
A year is solitary wrecks everyone.
And you'd be infinitely more alone than even that.

I achieve Amaranth in the depths of space, and become the Godhead.

>you've been dead for 4 billion or so years until you were born
>the horror!

>How much would it suck to be in a universe you can't understand and shouldn't be able to exist in
Mildly bothering I would imagine.