There's this passage in LotR that always fucks me up...

There's this passage in LotR that always fucks me up, it's that part where they're trying to get off the mountain before going to Moria and they talk about how big Boromir's hands are and how he can tunnel through the snow like a mole or some shit. Like what is that, what are you talking about? Why'd you write that.

I mean I guess it's from Frodo's perspective and a guy who lives in a hole would be pretty impressed with that level of digging ability, but am I to believe Frodo and the other hobbits were sitting there in awe of Boromir's big hands, thinking what big holes they could dig and pipes they could rip with those hands?

Anyone else read that passage and think what the fuck is that?

I'm more concerned about the part right afterwards where Legolas literally runs down the sun to ask it to melt the snow on the mountain.

An expression of homoerotic love for C. S. Lewis.

>someone never tried to dig through a 4 foot tall snowbank

Bullshit, that didn't happen.

Legolas makes a joke and autists don't get it

I secretly wanted it to be real because that sounds like some cool mythical shit and I haven't actually read the books in a while.

How would the journey have changed if they had melted the snow and not gone to Moria?

Nuh uh, Tolkien was Catholic.

Boromir would've lived and they never would've met Gollum so Frodo wouldn't find the ring and the story would never happen.

you fucking retarded child.

>Tolkien and Lewis were super besties
>argued about religion all the time
>not expecting burried homo love between two guys who's only reason they finished their work was each other

They were prancing la la homo fairy poof fruits for each other and you know it.

They wanted his thick, mole-like Mancock

It's part of great story telling, you're seeing a completely new world through Frodos eyes. Here is a big, strong and proud man doing a base task and all Frodo can see is large hands digging. It's about his innocence as much as anything else

Did Tolkien allude to this at all in any of his letters?

They would have acknowledged the might of Boromir the Mole Handed and he would dig them a tunnel straight to mordor.

Do you think Boromir got the crystal treatment?

Boromir is meant to be the Knuckles of Lord of the Rings. It's right there on letter 212, If I recall correctly

>Tolkien was catholic
So was Francis Poulenc.

>who's only reason they finished their work was each other
>tfw you will never, ever love a friend this dearly
>tfw this expression of Philia is so uncommon in the modern world, it is now routinely mistaken for homosexuality
How horrible.

Big hands means big dick

The halfling's wanted the human dick

>Anyone else read that passage and think what the fuck is that?
Yes. I love the books to death, but that part always cracks me up.

I remember the first time my ten-year old self read it and how I was like "wtf, Boromir is a mole-man?!"

Compare their diaries and you find that Tolkien very early on called Lewis one of his closests friends. Lewis on the other hand consider Tolkien little more than an acquaintance for a very long time.