As a DM, would you ignore a natural 20 on a save roll and still kill a PC when he does something exceedingly stupid...

As a DM, would you ignore a natural 20 on a save roll and still kill a PC when he does something exceedingly stupid, like drinking a vial acid? I definitely would. Unless magic is involved, there's no way to survive something like this, even if you're the toughest person in history.

If you have issues with a player, fucking talk with him/her, you fucking manchild, rather than being passive-aggressive cunt

Just don't allow a save roll.
>do you realise it's acid you're going to drink?
>yus
>it's very potent acid
>yus
>it will kill you
>yus
>oh well. you drink the acid and die in the most painful way possible. thanks for coming, the door is over there.

Success with complications. You drank the acid? Okay. As it enters your throat, it begins to burn you and you instinctively begun to throw it up. You continue to throw up for the next minute. You gain two levels of exhaustion and your vocal chords are going to need some magical healing.

Killing a stupid player's character is easy; a momentary frustration.
Punishing through in-game penalties that affect the player's actions long-term? That is education.

If a character were to get away with metaphysical murder, I feel like icon relationships are the most plausible justification.
>Deity X turns the acid into a nonlethal dose, water, wine, etc.

I sense an acid drinker.

If they're doing stupid suicidal shit, I wouldn't even allow a save. Just kill 'em off and be done with it.

Common sense should trump any arbitrary rules.

>sense acid-drinker

You better have that class talent on your character sheet.

A Natural 20 doesn't mean automatically succeeding at something, regardless of if it's possible or not

Stop posting selfies

A natural 20 on a saving throw is a auto success in a few notable systems, yes. On other things like skill checks it isn't, of course.

Stop drinking acid.

I believe that this is actually a rule in the games that bring up the subject of willingly harming yourself.

If the player chooses to drink a lethal dose of acid, wouldn't that be a CON check?

t. noob

Why roll a save if it doesn't matter?

If something has a certain chance of success or failure, there is no need for a roll.
Sometimes I'll add degrees of success, but if the action is deliberate like this, well...don't think of it as a saving throw against acid. The PC is voluntarily making a skill check to drink from a vial. There's no way to fail that skill check.
And thus the full consequence will come about.

Now if they didn't know it was acid and were trying to identify it as a potion or something, I'd allow a saving throw with a non-impossible DC to realize what it is before they totally down it and suffer less devastating bodily damage. If they're getting a moon dropped on them Chewie style I wouldn't do the same, of course.

It it is powerful enough it will melt through his jaws; which he may survive.

>when you get so mad at a made-up story on Veeky Forums that you have to make a new thread so you can get a "savage retort" in without being ignored by the other posters, but it just makes you look like a butthurt clown

The toughest person in history isn't as tough as some RPG characters.
Pluss drinking stuff that should kill normal people is a great way to win bar bets or intimidate people.

The roll should have been on willpower. Its not that easy actually commiting suicide.

>would you ignore a natural 20 on a save roll when he does something exceedingly stupid
Depends on what it is. Drinking lethal acid? What is there to roll against? You just decided to commit suicide by acid. The end. You weren't poisoned or had it thrown at you, you deliberately drank it.
It's like saying "I'm gonna play Russian Roulette with a Gatling Gun and roll for gambling." It doesn't matter what you roll, you're fucking retarded. Your Nat 20 doesn't save you when you do a deliberately dumbshit action.

/thread

>As a DM, would you ignore a natural 20 on a save roll and still kill a PC when he does something exceedingly stupid, like drinking a vial acid? I definitely would. Unless magic is involved, there's no way to survive something like this, even if you're the toughest person in history.
If you want to do that, just do half damage on a save.

"Ok, you saved, instead of 28d4 con damage you take 14d4 con damage."

Piss easy. Unless the person has some sort of feat that allows him to avoid taking half damage on a fort save, in which case he's got mechanical abilities to prevent himself from dying from doing stupid things like that.

I would advise against it.

Once your PCs learn there's no save on downing a vial of acid, you can bet your ass they will start forcing vials of acid down their enemies' throat for that sweet, sweet instant death.

NO, YOU STOP!

>fine, if you can successfully restrain someone to orally administer a lethal dose of acid without them breaking free you probably deserve the kill

Finally grappling is worth a damn.

Hi Rogal

With the example you provided I would say

>thankfully your gag reflex kicks in before the acid can do any serious damage and you throw it all up

If I let a player make a roll, that roll will obviously matter. The real answer here, though, is to play a game that isn't DnD.

A good DM is consistent.
A GREAT DM is above such petty concerns.

This

It all depends on the motivation, surely no one would drink acid just for the hell of it?

There's also the very popular Chunky Salsa houserule.

Had to Google this one.

pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChunkySalsaRule

there's no need for a savings throw, unless you're specifically testing the savings throw mechanic for whatever reason.

do you roll to save for the meat and potatoes against the teeth of the adventurer at the inn? no. if he wants to drink a deadly fluid that corrodes whatever it comes into contact with, let him drink it and suffer the consequences.

If it's definitively not survivable, then there is no save, although drinking a vial acid I would deem survivable depending on the specific acid, if you're lucky it might not burn a hole through windpipe. It's going to hurt and you won't be able to talk or swallow anything for a while, but a lucky save would allow you to survive.

The acid in question was meant to melt through solid iron bars, and it did. I think it's safe to say that no save should have been allowed.

Pic related is the perfect way to solve it.

There is such a thing as "no save allowed"

"Are you sure you want to do that" is one of the best ways to signal it.

Yeah, but it was. And they made it. And he said "YOU STILL DIE!"

Which is dogshit. Either you don't offer the roll or accept the consequences of it.

Can someone explain me the exact context that led to drinking a vial of acid?

No, what happened is the guy downed the vial, rolled a natural 20 and proceeded to melt the iron bars with the leftovers. If what you described is dogshit, then this is Cerberuses lava poop.

Acid doesn't get a save, it's damage. Strong ingested acid would probably be damage every round, possibly counting as a crit.

But it's pretty feasible that a high level character could survive it.

Grappling is amazingly good in 5e

>Can someone explain me the exact context that led to drinking a vial of acid?

This is the thread that got OP so worked up.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>I drink the acid
>Ok, gimme a fort save
>Natural 20! I live!
>Wow, yeah, that's awesome. Gimme another.
>What, why?
>Acid's still inside you, isn't it?
>But but but...
>Just do it.
>...3...
>Hey, good news. The acid isn't inside you anymore. It's all over the ground, right under where your balls used to be.
>Aw damn. Well, I guess this means I have to make a new character.
>Nope
>What, why?
>Becuase none of this ever happened. We're both just figments of OP's autistic imagination.
>Sonofabitch
>Yeah, them's the breaks

Why did you remind me of Chewis's death?
WRYYYYYYYYYY!

I wouldn't allow a roll. But for the sake of argument, a natural 20 would just mean you don't die and throw up the acid before it completely liquifies your insides.

Why does a natural 20 always mean you auto pass ? It doesnt!

Say you are an athlete and trying to make a 20m jump across a pit. No matter how good you are you wont make it. Some things are just not possible.

Super deadly acid kills you. You can roll a 20 but you needed to roll a 40. Too bad you cant roll that. So you die regardless

has going against the advice of a dm even gone right?
not counting nat 20s, does the player ever simply have the better idea?

I would just reduce their constitution

'Good news, you didn't die!'

I'd like to think a Natural 20 is the best case scenario given that situation. Like, sneaking really well without fail, or in the case of OP: maybe suffering horrendous burns from drinking it to some of the face that only penalizes charisma a lot.

If it's HF, it'll burn through his jaw AND kill him.

That's good, I'm definitely going to use that. Like a nat 20 bluff check to tell the queen that you're the real king will get a "cute impression of my husband, I'm going to pretend you didn't just attempt sedition."

I don't know about that, user. With the right disguise and stuff, it's viable. If the roller in question was some guy that just rolled in one day when the king was sitting right there, then yeah, but situation always dictates.

That was meant to imply "murderhobo bard walks up to queen in the middle of the royal court."

god fucking DAMMIT we had this guy in our party who was a sharpshooter bowman and ended up losing 9 of his fingers due to stupid bullshit. I was really hoping to leave him alive, but another player finished him by stabbing him in the heart, so of course he got to reroll immediately.

>I definitely would
>magic users but martials have to be mundane
That DM tier t.b.h

This guy is a fucking thinker. There's your answer, boss.

>your new character will have a penalty to constitution

Vial of acid. 28d4 con damage. Absurdly more powerful than even the strongest poisons in existence. What are you smoking and where can I get some?

>acid=poison

You're joking right?

It's just as powerful as the strongest poison in existence. That is, it kills instantly.

if you're going to ignore a nat 20, why did you let him roll at all?

10/10 thread