Starting a pirate campaign today, and looking for music suggestions...

Starting a pirate campaign today, and looking for music suggestions. I have a bunch of shanties and some stuff to help set the scene, but I don't have anything to play in the back ground.

Also going to do an image dump to bump the thread, feel free to contribute.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj8EZm9ca8
youtube.com/watch?v=pOIzwV8SzpQ
youtube.com/watch?v=VcNLuH1XWfI
youtube.com/watch?v=xsezrzS27UY
youtube.com/watch?v=peJhJMciSXE
amazon.com/Republic-Pirates-Surprising-Caribbean-Brought/dp/015603462X
youtube.com/watch?v=s7fqllhtdHI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have you looked into those hourlong videos on Youtube that are essentially just the sound of the ocean, the sound of creaking wood, or anything of that nature?
It's not music, but it's appropriate.

I'm assuming you're not looking for sea shanties if this is just background music. I usually just use Spotify and play "traditional (insert country) instrumental music" for my campaigns. I don't know what your group is like but it might be fun to sneak in the pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack in while they're not paying attention

>Shanties
>Implying you can play with actual songs playing in the background
>Implying you can play with highly rhytmical songs invented to add rhytm to hard labour done in groups
Son, you are doing it wrong

>pirate campaign
Alestorm.
You want music appropriate for pirates? You go for true Scottish pirate metal.
It's a pirate campaign, you need someone who is here to drink your beer, and steal your rum at the point of a gun.
Add in some Korpiklaani for variety. Sami rather than pirate, but similar vocals and sound.

>Implying Implications
user, the Shanties aren't for background music. It's more like a treat for players when they set sail.

Just looked up the Black Sails soundtrack. Why is Bear McCreary such a hit/miss composer from series to series?

This.

There is only one correct choice.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj8EZm9ca8

>metal

I love both of these bands, but this really wouldn't work for most campaigns. If somebody wasn't a fan of these genres for whatever reason, critique of their taste aside, it might really put them off the game.

Atmospheric instrumentals and period music are your best bets.

Black Sails is fucking amazing though. Them hurdy gurdies.

>If somebody wasn't a fan of these genres for whatever reason, critique of their taste aside, it might really put them off the game.
If they're playing a pirate campaign and don't like pirate metal, then they don't belong in your group. Show them the door.
This is the 21st century. There is no reason to put up with people who aren't into metal.

After all, as a wise man once said, 'if you're not into metal, you are not my friend'.

Side note: Treasure Island is my favorite novel, no contest. And Muppet Treasure Island is my favorite adaptation of it, contested only by Treasure Planet.

FUCK that BBC miniseries, it was literally the worst thing I had ever seen.

Here's few other good suggestions. Yes, they're all from Muppet Treasure Island.

youtube.com/watch?v=pOIzwV8SzpQ
youtube.com/watch?v=VcNLuH1XWfI
youtube.com/watch?v=xsezrzS27UY
youtube.com/watch?v=peJhJMciSXE

I was going to have them meet Stede Bonnet. I am going to use this for when he introduces his crew. Thanks user.

Are you the guy who has every single movie version of Treasure Island ever made?

No, though I have seen a sizable number of them. The novel, meanwhile, was my first "real" book, my dad getting me an unabridged, unedited version with barely any pictures in it when I was 7. I learned to read well basically so that I could read that book without needing help.

I don't normally mind reading books more than once, unlike some people I know...but Treasure Island is the only book I have that I will finish and then turn back to the first page to start over. And because I'm a huge nerd I have a "black spot" bookmark that I use for it, as well as, tucked into the back, a map I drew of the island it when I was 8 or 9 or so.

I remeber my dad buying me Treasure Island and I used to keep it in my nightstand so if I was bored and needed something to read for a break. I'm bummed though because I couldn't find it when I was reading for the game. I was able to re-read Three Musketeers though because I love swashbuckling, and pirates seemed the best way to play it out with others.

Highwaymen are also cool, particularly if they are dandy.

Have you read "The Republic of Pirates"? If not, I highly recommend it.

amazon.com/Republic-Pirates-Surprising-Caribbean-Brought/dp/015603462X

Going to check that out, the latter half of the campaign is going to put them in Nassau since I am starting it during the War of Spanish Succession so they have an easier time pirating since they can get letters of the marque

Seconding . You can get various ocean, ship, tavern and market white noise for free off youtube. I also suggest looking up 18thC folk/tavern music of England, France and the Americas.

For a more theatrical background, you can't beat Hans Zimmer's Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks.

>Alestorm
Fucking renfair trash.

>Korpiklaani
Acceptable, but would be distracting from a serious game.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Rogue soundtracks, Master and Commander soundtrack, Sharpe soundtracks.

Goddamn ungrateful peasants...

Anything Wind Waker

youtube.com/watch?v=s7fqllhtdHI