So how many dicks does a fa/tg/uy have to suck to get a good One Piece ttg rules?

So how many dicks does a fa/tg/uy have to suck to get a good One Piece ttg rules?

Bonus points if its actually intended to be one piece and is not just repurposed mutants and mastermind or something.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiosurgery
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Any One Piece (and Naruto, and Bleach, and Fairy Tail, and...) RPG will be a generic, or at the very least, very wide in scope system, because only generic systems can handle the variety of powers and abilities that the game has.

Beyond that, it's up to you what parts of the series you want to put the emphasis on.

I know we had a dragon ball tabletop floating here before so I am sure there is a system designed just FOR that wide scopeness.

I remember a particularly good one but it seems abandoned.

>I know we had a dragon ball tabletop floating here before

Dragonball is extremely specific. There's basically melee fighting, beam fighting, and moving really fast fighting, powering up, and that's it. I can't think of an interesting power from Dragonball that isn't "Bullshit invincibility Goku needs to get through somehow".

Devilman's was pretty cool.

Has anyone tried using One Piece's world in a more gritty game? That sounds fun to me.

Explain.

Do you mean like, using Vtm's system or "You are a bunch of vampires who, through no fault of your own, are fighting Fartsmasher of the Stench pirate band.

Admittedly, there are some early exceptions... but those are also the ones that a dedicated Dragonball system wouldn't really be able to handle making original ones of, and you'd again be better off with a more flexible one.

Sadly a general system, but Valor would handle it really well. Made for anime-inspired games with modular abilities.

Check out the NarutoD20. Last I checked the corebook, it was 1100 pages long, 900 of which was just jutsus.

>Check out the NarutoD20. Last I checked the corebook, it was 1100 pages long, 900 of which was just jutsus.

I'll amend my statement to

>Any One Piece (and Naruto, and Bleach, and Fairy Tail, and...) RPG will be a generic, or at the very least, very wide in scope system, because only generic systems can handle the variety of powers and abilities that the game has without becoming a convoluted 1100 page mess.

What do vampires have to do with it at all? Honestly, I just mean One Piece using "flashback rules," where guns, bombs, and devil fruit powers have real lethality and fights aren't won by protagonist power.

You said gritty, its the darkest system I know.

So you just... want a pirate story?

No, it would still be One Piece's setting but without its usual narrative conventions, etc.

So its not one piece?

Taking a bright show and making it dark is just making a dark thing, a big part of one piece is its own sillyness, coupled with bleak tragedy that has touched each individual character.

If its not its just pirates vs marines with magical powers. Aka pirates of the caribbean.

I said "flashback rules." Do you not know how flashbacks work in One Piece? Humor still exists, but events proceed in a more logical and less contrived manner, generally. Good examples would be Nami's flashback, Robin's flashback, and Law's flashback.

Right but its partnered with the rest of one piece, and even then the flashbacks still have nutty characters, its just tragic things happen to them.

You want a setting with no nutty characters, lots of tragic things, and that it ends quickly because the pcs get wiped out.

It's just a pirate setting.

>no nutty characters
I didn't say that.

>lots of tragic things
This is common in the world, especially in the Grand Line. It's even been pretty explicit lately.

>ends quickly because the PCs get wiped out
Remember how characters call Luffy insane for just rushing into encounters? If my players have brains, it should be fine.

I don't know why you're fighting this so hard.

Because the "X setting but edgy" is done to death and was never that good idea to begin with.

I said "gritty," not "edgy," and the fact is that One Piece, when it isn't dealing with the Straw Hats in the current moment, is pretty gritty.

Anyway, I really don't care about your personal biases. If you don't have an argument, you don't have an argument.

Gritty and edgy translate to the same story. Adding darkness is a beginners idea of how to make a interesting story and it is 13 year old fanfiction material.

And its not a personal biases, the fact is your idea is unoriginal and takes most of the one piece out of one piece.

There is a reason one piece isn't all flashback. Because the individual tragedies lose potency when it becomes normal. Misery becomes mundane. If you actually expect bad shit to happen who fuckin cares when it does. It's like game of thrones.

Gritty doesn't necessarily mean adding darkness. It's more about adding logical consistency and detail. Blame reality for the fact that this tends to end badly. I really don't think it's childish to want to remove protagonist power and deus ex machina from my story.

It isn't that miserable stuff would be happening constantly. It is that it would be constantly possible, and my players would have to make good decisions in order to minimize the chances, like, you know, normal human beings.

>Gritty doesn't necessarily mean adding darkness.

Very true, but you specifically defined it as
> Honestly, I just mean One Piece using "flashback rules," where guns, bombs, and devil fruit powers have real lethality and fights aren't won by protagonist power.

Which is.

Plus "Constantly possible" is just a way to blame your players for when your setting gets bland cause you keep killing everyone off.

You understand that the setting of One Piece is dark, right? But it doesn't seem so because it focuses on the adventures of the Straw Hats, right?

He wants a One Piece game in the One Piece setting, but without the lightness added by virtue of it being shounen. He's not trying to force in grimderp, just emphasise that life is poor when you're not a main character.

Yes, and its good the way it is.

One piece does not need to be darker and empahsising that life is poor when your not the main character is a mockable statement when in a tabletop, you are, by definition, the main character. The mainest character possible even.

Just take my advice and avoid the D20 one that gets passed around, like the plague. It's completely broken and unplayable, not to say anything of the lack of interest, adherence to OP lore, or fun.

So valor is my best bet then?

>Wow, weapons, which are designed to hurt things, hurt things. It's so dark!

>just a way to blame your players for when your setting gets bland cause you keep killing everyone off
It really sounds like you've had some bad personal experiences that are coloring your perceptions. Come back when you get some impartiality.

Sure, you'll find out if you are right or not when you do it anyway.

I'd use Open Legend. Partly because it's a good fit for that sort of pastiche of abilities and character types, but mostly because I've been looking for an excuse to try it out.

There are definitely some balancing issues that need to be addressed with it, but those other three seemed fine when I played it.

I've never seen anyone come up with a good Devil Fruit without them trying to make over powered/ridiculous powers.

In my one piece game my characters Backstory Figure was a world noble who ate a cursed fruit.

Unfortunately his was the Goki Goki and so his abbilites pertained to the summoning and control of roaches.

His bubble helmet was black because the bugs writhed inside it. He basically used his status to run black market rings like Flamingo did.

Well, if your devil fruit isn't overpowered and/or ridiculous you're not sticking to the theme of the show.

But it can be argued that there is a right way and a wrong way when designing a devil fruit.

I just think that creating a devil fruit that turns a person into an many armed-winged, many eyed stone idol covered in halos is a step in the wrong direction.

>High Alteration attribute, representing gumgum stretchiness
>Attribute Substitution I: substitute Alteration for Fortitude
That's the baseline gumgum effects. Easy peasy.

>I once played a revolutionary microwave Logia
Ah, my mortal enemy!.

Now I want to play a mythical zoan, Model: angel

No you don't.
Their character was a mess because it had no clear concept or limitations. What powers does an angel have?

I'd go for the more typical depiction of angels, so: wings, healing miracles, probably a huge boost to observation haki from the ability to hear prayers.

The angel fruit wasn't even a mythical zoan, just a variation on the human fruit like the Buddha guy.

Buddha guy IS a mythical zoan.

Well I'm going to assume they didn't know that.
Just proves my point about how awful an Angel-Angel Fruit really is.

At least it's not the fucking Ope-Ope.

Doesn't change the fact that it is a terrible idea and anyone who likes it has bad taste in powers.

I mean, the Ope Ope is OP, but there's a clear concept that ties it together. It's like the Kage Kage in that regard.

Really, I don't think I've ever seen a created devil fruit that felt like a devil fruit at all. It's almost like they come from some weird corner of Oda's mind that no one else can simulate.

>tfw I just want to be able to play a character who uses a Wood Logia fruit

Either Wood Wood Fruit or the Flicker Flicker Fruit that's a Paramecia that lets the user create light-refracting panes of glass, allowing them to make things appear where they aren't, look like there's copies of whatever he chooses, or even render himself or others invisible by surrounding all sides of himself/others with panes of the glass.

>So how many dicks does a fa/tg/uy have to suck to get a good One Piece ttg rules?
One more. *unzips*

Sounds like Namis mirage tempo

Very similar concept.

I'm not sure if Nami's Mirage Tempo can affect others or only make mirages of her, though.

My proudest moment in custom devil fruit making was a Steam-steam logia, but I ran into a problem designing a character to give it to.
>Hmm he's a logia so he needs to be less experienced that the other party members for balance, so I should make him younger
>and If he's got steam powers I could tie it together with a steampunk theme, give him some Victorian era clothes and some goggles
>He should have a weapon he can channel his steam through, like a pipe
>...this is Sabo, I've created Sabo.

Ah the Op-Op fruit, the devil fruit so broken they had to give it a mana cost.

Wood logia's always a dope idea, but it can be either reasonably powerful, it very broken, depending on whether logia users can control part of their element they didn't create.

I justify it by relating it to bad surgery movies. You know those scenes where the surgeon is concentrating so hard that he begins to sweat? That

There's a concept, but I wouldn't call it clear. I understand that he can create an "operating room" where he can manipulate stuff, and being able to cut anything without harming it and put things back together is fantastic theming, but the teleportation ability has nothing to do with it at all. If you squint maybe you can say he's doing transplants, but actual teleportation for that?

It's such a wide and vague concept that almost anything can be justified with it, too. What even is gamma knife?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiosurgery

He teleporting fits the theme... sometimes. When it works as intended he swaps places with something else within the room... but yeah, there are times when he just doesn't need to. I suspect those times are anime-only instances.

A gamma knife is a surgical process using radiation to destroy tumors.
It does fit his theme, It's just not necessarily in line with the uses of his fruit we'd seen him use before. But devil fruit users come up with weird new uses all the time (looking at YOU Doflamingo) Because their only real limit is the vague description of the power.
>"I Stretch like rubber, that means I'm immune to electricity right?"
>"Well technically rubber doesn't CONDUCT electricity but could still be burned or melted but the intense heat that it cau.."
>"TAKE THIS LIGHTNING GOD!"

The most overpowered fruit is still the Paw-paw fruit, by far.

Would Luffy's player be That Guy?

EVERY Strawhat, except for Usopp, is That Guy
>Mokey D. "nuh-uh, bullets just bounce off me" Luffy
>Roranoa "I kill them because they're in my way" Zoro
>Black Leg "A true gentleman like myself would never harm you m'lady" Sanji
>"Mirage's are from the weather, that means I'm invisible" Nami
>Tony Tony "I have 4 more form than anyone with this type of power" Chopper
>Nico "Snaps your neck without even trying" Robin
>Cyborg "Then I pose and show off my bulge" Franky
>Soul King "Nu-uh, I already killed them all" Brook.

>Black Leg
It's "Vinsmoke" now.

well that would be hard, as it would require a good setting

Since this is probably bait, I'll ask more generally: are there actually people who dislike One Piece's setting? It's almost always the plot, characters, or art that I see being insulted.

Isn't Nico Robin a highly skilled assassin?

She snapped every neck at Tequila Wolf.

God I wish Robin got more shit to do.

Bad karma games has a good d20 system

Best devil fruit.

You have good taste, user.

I know it's retarded, but I can't shake the feeling that I'd like to eat this guy's fruit.

Robin can only sprout body parts where her petals can reach. which is apparently Oda's signal to make her fucking worthless in 90% of her appearances besides "i made a stairway" or "foot fetish bait"

I think it's objectively the shittiest power thus far. He has to give up swimming/gain a weakness to being in water for the ability to... make clothing out of leaves, which Raizou can probably already do because he's a ninja?

Really? I thought the petals were just cosmetic. I'm pretty sure her power could still do a lot more in fights where she just stands around, though.

This dude was so damn convenient.
>actually I'm a samurai
>oh you're all freezing? Good thing I have the warm clothes - warm clothes fruit.
>we're against a shit ton of explosions? I mastered the art of slash-explosions-in-half
>oh you're going to dressrosa?
>oh you're going to zou?
>OH YOU'RE GOING TO WANO?

But she can sprout her body parts anywhere she can see. As long as she knows there's a surface, she can grow something. I have no idea why you think the petals are necessary when they never have been.

No, the petals don't actually do anything except justify the fruit's name. The reason Robin is useless is because she's so broken that Oda has to contrive situation where she can't use her powers, or simply has her stand around doing nothing while people fight around her. Pretty much the only times she actually fought seriously, it was against the "I'm so fat I don't have a neck to snap" Skypean and the "I don't have bones" octopus guy.

Everything else she's done has been utility, mook clearing, or that one time she stopped Hakuba and then stood around watching Kyros fight without helping in any way.

The shadow fucker also managed to thwart her, but it just swapped bodys.

Anyway thanks for helping.

It's definitely my recommendation. The way One Piece basically works is "pick a theme and/or a devil fruit, come up with creative techniques based on that" which is exactly what Valor is.

>tfw less interested in the Fruits than in the various unexplained martial arts of the setting

How does Three Sword Style actually work? What even is Rokushiki on a technical level?

What even is Rokushiki on a technical level?

Kicking real hard, poking real hard, and being real hard.

The three-sword style is just the two-sword style with an extra, somewhat weaker, sword.
In one piece, people can just gain minor powers from nowhere sometimes, (not burning when your leg is on fire, cutting through fire, creating duplicates of things out of aura) The six styles are just six of these powers that the marines discovered anyone could learn with enough training, so they developed a martial art around it.

It is not unplayable. I actually did play it.
And it can be fun if you understand the system's glaringly obvious problems while your GM doesn't and proceed to utterly break what he had intended as a serious campaign.

Use Valor.
Get a view for free by searching in the pdf share thread

I think the biggest problem with a One Piece game is that the main crew we follow around aren't exactly the best role models.
People would join thinking that they're going to be like the next Straw Hats crew when they shouldn't. The Straw Hats are not proper pirates.

>people can just gain minor powers from nowhere
Well, then.

What exactly is meant by that?

That I can't actually recall the last time the Straw Hats just decided to go rob someone, sink ships and take lives or do anything pirate-y on a whim.

They do a lot of nice things is what I'm saying.

Well, they are usually nice to the people they like/is part of their team and get caught up in shit.

They are still pretty selfish from time to time, and have no qualms about, say, just taking food from people.

Define gritty. We're talking about a setting where the main form of government is Imperium of Man with boats (they even have an island scale Exterminatus), and the orcs have magical demon super powers.

>and the orcs have magical demon super powers.

...who are the orcs?

Shit, now I'm game designing in my head.

The first thing I would have to iron out is, of course, devil fruits. Thankfully devil fruits aren't entirely random and instead fit into 3 categories which will make it easier to stat them. And of course you would also need to be able to make comparable characters that don't use devil fruit powers. I'd split those into two categories of people, Fight types and Skill types.

To start off with, character creation would be the easiest thing. Design a character creation system that could fit the various needs that a character in one piece would have and then reverse engineer a system that can work for those characters.

Damnit. Fuck it. I guess I know what my next project is.

>Burning leg came from nowhere
Somebody hasn't been keeping up.

You sound like no fun. You realize that there's a devil fruit power that turns you into Buddha, right?

I made a devil fruit once. The Spin Spin fruit. It lets parts of your body spin around around on their axis. Think like buggy's power, but instead of coming apart all your pieces are still stuck together, they can just spin about.

His techniques were to spin to turn his fist into a drill punch, spin fast enough that he can cause mini tornadoes, deflect attacks away by spinning, spin his arms around to act as a helicopter.

Thinking back on it, I wonder if giving him the ability to make other things spin would be a good addition or would that be too much like the spinning door from the door door fruit?

Mein bruder. I had the same idea, only I called it the Gyro Gyro no Mi. But then Buffalo was a thing.

That's a silly way to look at it. The DM presents the campaign and themes, and the players present the way they want to handle said campaign. That goes for any system.

If you want to run a pirate campaign, tell the players they are pirates. The thing about being a pirate is the freedom that comes with it, which means both the freedom from laws and morality. What they want to do with that freedom is up to them, which is the entire point of freedom.

Alternatively if you wanted to give them more confined guidelines then give them something else more than "You're a pirate." Tell them they are marines, tell them that they are pirates specifically under the rule of pirate fleet (like an emperor) and thus HAVE to steal shit and make money to keep living, tell them that they are a simple merchant ship just trying to get by. You only get to set the scene, you can't choose how the players handle it.

What? FUCK.

Pirates.

>objectively the shittiest power thus far
I think you're forgetting a few. Kin'emon's power, while not great for direct combat, is good for utility. Being able to make disguises, camouflage (which can probably be switched at will), and armor for yourself and others would be very useful. Furthermore, you could probably bind an enemy up in something if you could get something on their head.

Being nice people doesn't really seem all that pirate like.

Being good to your friends and allies pays dividends.