Let me preface this by saying I'm not normally vindictive but I feel compelled in this instance...

Let me preface this by saying I'm not normally vindictive but I feel compelled in this instance. A while back I had an impromptu Pathfinder session with some friends who hadn't played dnd before (I was the dm). It was fun for the most part and I thought everyone had a good time. I found out later that one of the players, let's say his name is Horatio, did not enjoy the session at all. I didn't think much of it, but when I heard his reasons I grew peeved, According to him, we had different goals for dnd. He wanted a mostly story based dealio and I was focused on stats and rules. I would like to note at this time that the session we had together had the following features, A) No grid or board of any type, B) Milestone XP, C) Arbitrary loot pulled out of my ass, D) Incredibly limited battle encounters consisting of like 3-4 enemies max, and E) Practically only character interaction and world exploration.
Now Horatio is planning on doing a campaign soon and, presumably, he plans to be running it more to his tastes. He's said that basically anything is ok, third party w/e, and that he's planning on getting "exotic". What I want to know is, what is the most passive aggressive way to make his life difficult as a new dm without being too obtuse or transparent in my goals.

Don't be a piece of shit and just deal with it.

Right, but where's the fun in that

The best thing is to say nothing. If he thinks he can run storygame well with Pathfinder and all possible material...

That's just a shame, really.

you get the opportunity to help your friend improve as a player and gamemaster, leading to a deeper understanding and enjoyment of the game. the campaign after this one could be much improved after these experiences.

that's where the fun is.

Playing Pathfinder is punishment enough, OP

But it's my job as a dutiful friend to make sure he's miserable.

Your copypasta is stale.

But I just boiled it.

if you're not normally vindictive, then no it's not. stop being a faggot.

Be the bigger guy and help him.
If he's being a shitlord directly knock some sense into him, don't pussyfoot around and "ruin his gaem XD" because either A. He'll try his best and not deserve it or B. He'll make it a shitfest and there will be nothing worth ruining.
Your first step in helping him is telling him to use another system for something freeform, story oriented, or otherwise not just entirely built around combat and basic D&D trappings

>it's another "How do I sandbag this game xD" thread

Settling in for 340+ posts. Don't disappoint me, faggots.

buy your own popcorn bitch

Well the thing is that he's not gonna listen to me. He's a stubborn fellow. Honestly I don't think dnd is the right fit for him and that he should try a different game, but again his belief is that I was a bad dm and that he could do it better given the opportunity.

>Horatio doesn't enjoy the way you run things
>Starts his own game instead of trying to sabotage yours while its in progress
Horatio did literally nothing wrong.

Saged, reported, hidden, flagged for deletion.

The guy you're responded to is agreeing with you. “You have an… ego?” I want to laugh at the idea. This would be true if not for the fact that deliberately destructive, vindictive and bring about misery because they enjoy it.

But, but, but, he hurt my feelings though.

Then it sounds like you need to stop being a little bitch

I don't wanna ruin his game, I just want to annoy him. I acknowledge it's completely petty but it's just he's really ground my gears. I suppose there's no harm in just letting him fail on his own merits though.

if you do stupid shit in the game you'll also be risking annoying the other people playing. just let it go for fuck's sake.

>I don't wanna ruin his game
>what is the most passive aggressive way to make his life difficult as a new dm

>making life difficult for a new dm in pathfinder
>not game-ruining
Your friends deserve better.

Wait... so his crime is not that he did anything to ruin your game, but rather that he simply didn't enjoy it? I'm really not seeing what he did wrong. Even if his issues with your game seem silly*, I don't see how you can view his failure to have fun as a dick move. You sabotaging his game though? Definitely a dick move.

*It may well have been the system you were using that turned him off, whether he realizes it or not. Pathfinder has a lot of crunch, much of it combat-focused, and if you're not into that sort of thing...

If you fuck with the game you'll annoy him and the other players, and give him an excuse for the game failing.
Do your best and watch him fail in the best possible environment so you can eventually get a message through his evidently thick skull

Fine fine y'all win. I'll just let him be his own undoing. Show's over, thread's closed, everyone go home.

DM'ing is hard enough as it is, and nobody that is new to it is going to be great. You can be a vindictive cunt and make the hobby worse for everyone, or you can be a supportive friend and try to guide him through the initial pains.

Most people aren't receptive to others telling them "No! You're wrong! Do it the other way". It's not an effective way of teaching, it just creates animosity. Let them fuck up and learn from mistakes, it's a tabletop game not a bomb-making class.

Do you honestly not have anything better to do, Joey?