Can real-world politics be successfully worked into tabletop gaming? Should they be?

Can real-world politics be successfully worked into tabletop gaming? Should they be?

The answers depends on the group. The answer is always going to be that they can but only you can judge the maturity and separation of investment that your group can invest to keep it civil.

Because of how hard this is many people will simply say that you should not, for that is easier and perhaps they feel it adds nothing or even brings forth elements members of your group play games to escape from.

Only if every older person has an ulterior motive and every young person is crazy.

Those that don't fall into those two options are being used by ones that are.

Everything else should involve an invasion from extraterrestrial Dinosaur people.

>Can real-world politics be successfully worked into tabletop gaming?

Yes, if everyone is a mature, non-pissy person and signed up to the game knowing ahead of time what the game is going to be like. OR, if everyone is on exactly the same page politically and the game is one big polemical circle-jerk.

>Should they be?

Can't say it interests me.

Yes, maybe, why would you repost this

oh boy this thread again

too bad about your (you)s. today you're getting skeletons

Fuck you.

The answer is simple:
>Sure, they can be worked in successfully.

>A squirrel can also wear a dress, but that doesn't mean it should. Don't do it, particularly with "contemporary" "politics". Right now the world is such a shit hole that there's no point and it will end in pointless bickering that, unlike every other political epoch throughout modern history, is immune to both facts and knowledge.

Then can be with the right group but we live in a world where everything is politicized to hell and back already, it's everywhere. I'd rather keep it out of my games, I figure people get enough of that shit between work, school, and social media.

Awesome Skellington thread, guys!

My brother tried to do an analogy to the Michael Brown shooting with orcs and the city guard in a campaign he DMed. We coldly ignored the plothook and never brought it up again.

I tend to avoid political shit. Moral decisions, sure, but not stuff that's currently going on in the news.

I feel like a bit of a dick for how we acted because it was a nice idea, I just can't stand it personally.

Absolutely fucking not. Allegory can occasionally work in a novel if you go about it the right way.

In a tabletop, it's just asking for a passive aggressive shitshow.

Theoretically yes. Should they be? Fuck no. I don't care how clever you think you are for basing your villain on President Trump, or for having a cult based on sjws, keep that shit outside. Most people use rpgs for escapism and light-hearted fantasy and really don't care about the dm's political views.

Yes, and if you're running a political intrigue game is almost mandatory. As for should they be? Probably not outside of aforementioned games. Too many people are butthurt about politics at the moment

This is just objectively the best answer.

/thread

I think my work here is done

but be warned OP that my supply of skeletons is not nearly exhausted

OP Here, I'm going to immediately start shitposting the second you stop and there's nothing you can do to stop me. You should probably post more skeletons, just in case I decide to do it again

Requesting more skellies if it's no burden to you. I lost my folder

MORE SKELETONS YOU SAY

MAYBE I'LL BREAK OUT MY RARE SKELES

>Can real-world politics be successfully worked into tabletop gaming?
Yes. The best example is pretty much every WW2 campaign/setting ever. Unless you reduce it to "Allies good, Nazi's bad, highly detailed testicle gorefest" then you'll have to touch on politics at some point.

Thank you good sir

damn dude you cant even call this shitposting or spamming or derailing. this is just dope.

Post a skeleton if you're gay

WELL CALL OSCAR WILDE CAUSE IM HOMO FOR BONOS

What if I'm bi? Post half a skeleton?

WE CAN ACCOMODATE

>Be incredibly powerful undead wizard
>Don't use your near limitless magic to preserve your flesh or create a new fleshy exterior
Explain this. There's no reason for liches to not look like total babes and studs.

>POSSES UNLIMITED MAGICAL POWER
>NOT SPOOKING THE FUCK OUT OF YOUR ENEMIES

>Can
Probably.

>should
Probably not, but it depends on the group.

If they can either get along without being triggered by opposing viewpoints, or at least all share similar viewpoints, it might turn out fine. But if you have an alt-right redneck who seethes in rage when they see anything that goes against puritan values, or the mere suggestion of pooling resources for a bigger goal, and an SJW feminist who gets triggered by people following typical gender roles or people arming themselves with crossbows, it's not going to be a fun time.

Probably could work with my group since we're all leftist as fuck, but considering the current political climate, we'd probably rather use our tabletop games as mindless escapism from this bullshit rather than bring it up.

>The lich isn't actually evil, he's just a giant prankster who was afraid he wouldn't live long enough to enact every prank he could think up
>After centuries upon centuries of being spoopy and playing (((ALMOST DIED))) (((GONE SEXUAL))) pranks on the local paladin, he hands himself in to be purified
>He leaves this world loudly cackling, and even the paladin who purged him can't help but admit he'll miss the guy
>Whenever someone tries to make a joke from that point onward, he'll simply be scoffed at and told "Boner Bones did it first"
In the distant future, when some dark priests realize tha pranking potential that came with a slew of new inventions, they will sacrifice multiple virgins to resurrect Mr. Bones

I LIKE YOUR STYLE

Tabletop games have rules players need to follow.

>be incredibly powerful undead wizard
>your consciousness is now separate from your body
>suddenly detached from normal human feelings, you cease caring about your appearance (or any other social animal instincts) and soon decay, physically and morally, into an insane monster that, while once derived from a human, has no more in common with them than they do with paramecium
>maybe less

Why are Skellies so perfect?

UNLIKE OUR BONEY FRIENDS I MUST SLEEP
CONGRATS OP I FIXED YOUR SHITTY THREAD