How do run a game in pic related?

How do run a game in pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2L5JgTkxAkg
sciencedirect.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Context for those of us which don't know this isn't just any other scifi superstructure?

Isn't that in north korea?

Present day North Korea, as it happens.

The Night Land.

Millions of years in the future, Earth has taken a long slide into shit. The sun's gone out, humanity now lives in the pyramid at the bottom of a deep, massive canyon where the last of the atmosphere hangs around. The stars are gone from the sky and nightmarish creatures and twisted humans live outside the pyramid's protective circle, some monolithic, others smaller and no less insidious. There's also a whole lot of strange phenomena out in the dark, like twinkling malicious lights, a terrifying sentient house, and fields of blue flames.

Humanity itself has ways to fight this, most notably the protective field around the pyramid, but they've also developed psychic potential and can use it to listen to the night. The top of the pyramid is where the monstruwoccans live, the people who study the monsters. They study them from afar and try to make sense of their behaviors, and also safeguard the knowledge and libraries of the pyramid for future generations.

Mostly, however, mankind is bound to the pyramid and no one really ventures out into the dark ever. Too many monsters.

Main plot is that one character has "night hearing" and hears his beloved calling to him across the darkness. Also him and his beloved happen to have been lovers in a previous life in the Victorian/Arthurian era or even before, but she died young. Now they're reborn somehow at the same time in the twilight of the universe and he's going to try and get her. Adventure ensues.

Probably a semi-interesting setting and stuff, but the sun isn't a lightbulb, it doesn't just wink out of existence. When it dies, it's going to take us all with it

>The book was written in 1912. They didn't know that.

Well, yeah. The Sun dimmed out like something was... eating it, maybe? It's implied that either something is obscuring the atmosphere, or that these creatures of darkness are literally eating the stars.

This is actually a huge problem since the Night Land is frigid cold everywhere, and the Last Redoubt gets its energy from the "Earth Current." Also, most creatures stick around volcanic vents, since that's where the heat is. A good couple of sections detail how a whole section of valley is lit by volcanic activity and there's actual plants growing in the soft light and hot springs.

But, ultimately, that's the point of the book, written in the theme of "dying Earth," where the Sun is gone and humanity is just kind of hanging on, but ultimately doomed in the face of it all. The Night Land is basically the story of one of the last heroes there will ever be before the entirety of history and culture and even the planet itself is consumed by the dark and again by the dying sun.

What good is it, then? What purpose does it serve to know or care if there is no escape or victory?

It's crazy to look back even such a (relatively) small time-frame and see how drastically our understanding of the universe has evolved. Hell, this was back when "aether" was an actual scientific term.

Stuff like HPL's aliens who flapped around in space on wings are a little bit less ridiculous when you take into account that the scientists of the day were still working towards figuring out that space is a vacuum.

Okay, 1: You say that like the real Earth isn't going to become uninhabitable long before we develop a means to successfully travel to and populate other planets. Why even get out of bed in the morning knowing the human race is doomed to extinction in the long-term and that it's not terrifically unlikely that it'll go extinct in a manner entirely of its own doing before that?

And 2: It's a story, what the hell kind of question is that.

"Where did JRPGs get the idea for pizza cutter swords?"
GLAD YOU ASKED.

Every single scientific problem right up to the reversal of entropy can, by definition, have a solution. We know this already, even if we don't have an answer yer. You seriously fucking think the Sun dying will stop us? This isn't even HFY shitposting; NOTHING CAN STOP US. We can figure out ANY forthcoming problem. Maybe even entropy itself.

This scenario is just defeatist bullshit.

No, defeatist bullshit is "abloobloobloo what's the point of doing anything when magic future technobabble special snowflake science won't work ;_;"

It was kinda this science that attracted the things from the darkness anyway. Some kind of fucking with things that should not be fucked with and even at the time they knew what they were doing.

Also they've been visited by several alien civilizations, but they tended to drift off after a while, or get fought off. It's unclear whether or not mankind has gotten off planet, but given that the stars themselves are being eaten, it's likely any descendents of those are on the run from the evil that's eating the stars, or already consumed. We have no answer for that since most of this setting occurs on Earth specifically during differing time periods of its fall.

In the grandest of timelines, humanity makes it to around 27 million AD, and that's even a few million after the Last Redoubt falls. Not a short stretch of time by any definition, although geologically still a drop in the bucket of time. Resistance might be ultimately futile, but it's the journey that typically matters (if we're taking a page from All Tomorrows), and the human spirit got us further along than mankind has already existed, so there is that.

Okay guys, I have an

Guys.

I have an idea.

Okay just hear me out.

What if,

Guys seriously

What if the Redoubt...

was a BALL?

He was one of Lovecraft's inspirations.

Although it's worth noting that in the end humanity may have been saved by outside interference.

It's a pity the author died in WW1.

>Every single scientific problem right up to the reversal of entropy can, by definition, have a solution.
Really? I'm interested to here the reasoning for this, legitimately and unironically.

Where at? I'm only read up on The Night Land, not any of his other works.

Although there was mention of the Forces of Good which stepped into play like chess pieces at extreme and pivotal moments, not least the ones that are blocking the Watchers.

This setting sounds... both tremendously interesting and deeply retarded, like, spooky bullshit kind of retarded.

Would play in any point based system that would allow me to construct all sorts of new monsters that defied laws of physics and allowed for maximum point overstretch.

I mean, monsters made of darkness and sand, radioactive screams wailing at explorers, parasites inside the PC's heads, that sort of shit.

It's based on a 1912 science and itself inspired by Time Machine of the 1890s. It's understanding of things is going to be a little off from our perspective.

Did they even commonly know about radiation back then?

Most monsters seem to have some general physical limitations, though mostly overwhelmingly strong. There's a good deal of just hazards that have to be avoided, like The Doors, but otherwise the weirder shit tends to obey rules and follow an order unto its own, though it's mostly horrifying. There's also the Watchers, which can try and will you to death by staring at you, but a little persistence can make them decide it's not worth the trouble or allow you to crawl out of the range they can turn their heads.

The House of Silence is especially malicious, but ultimately rooted in place, although you never quite lose the feeling that it's watching you. The Silent Ones will tear you apart if you walk the same road as them, or walk into their clearings, but will otherwise notice you though not particularly care. This stuff tends to accumulate closer to Redoubts, where mankind is actively trying to be snuffed out by evil.

The vast majority of creatures are giants, weird vampire-people with extra arms, troglodytes, fat scorpions the size of basketballs, and big spiders. Larger ones include monster hounds the size of horses and massive, horrible slugs, and Forces of Evil which are huge, horrific kinds of unstoppable demons. One of which is described as a massive, leafless willow tree with whipping arms.

Basically, most of this stuff is pretty knowable, and has defined limitations, but a whole lot of what they can do is save or die. I personally think it works much better as a narrative than a game setting, but a dark fantasy game setting can probably take inspiration from it.

At least the writers wanted to keep up to date with those kinds of things, but that was still fringe science to most people that werent in those fields, X rays had already been discovered, people experienced radiation poisoning (even if they didn't understood exactly what was happening to them) and physicists actively asked the academies to push for regulations in the distribution of radioactive compounds while trying to outdo each other in discovering new types of rays that could be useful (and a lot of them suffered side effects for it).

They basically knew that it was a new thing, kind of eerie, that it emitted pretty light under some circumstances, that some variations could be used to see your bones, and that too much could kill your ass.

I can see it being used for novels back then, although mixed heavily with myths and suppositions.

The Night Land has a massive Professional Fanfic/Expanded Universe following (Well, massive as those sorts of things go, which is to say that they're not up to scale with the Cthulhu mythos but they do actually have published works by respected authors).

Surprisingly, they've kept their shit together for a timeline where it can all go in 'canon'. The chronologically latest story involves a universe reboot WITHOUT the Powers of Darkness.

But that's fucking fanfic. Let's keep to Hodgson himself.

If you hold the Fanfic out, the final fall of the Redoubt and the extinction of man is no longer a known factor. Predictable, perhaps, but not unerring, infallible prophecy. If you take Hodgson's view, this is also a universe, ultimately, with a caring god where all souls that make it to the end will be reunited with those they love. This, and the Redoubt's time having scientific proof of the soul, reincarnation, and so on is part of why being able to suicide in the face of certain hazards is so goddamn important: Death isn't the end, the end is either Destruction or Salvation.

It would actually be pretty easy then to run a game knowing that. There's a lot of inherent conflict in the setting you've just presented to us. First, determine who the players will be. Explorers sent outside of the protection of the pyramid? Those who capture and study the monsters? Personal security within the pyramid that deal with breaches, monsters, internal conflict, and insanity? Also consider modifying the setting for the sake of gameplay; ie if the world outside really is too dangerous lighten it up a tad bit or give the PC's some sort of Macguffin power so that they can go on expeditions and shit.

IIRC back then people believed the Sun was a ball of burning coal and it would have a shelf-life of a few thousand years up to a few million years.

Uh, current scientific predictions are that humanity will be extinct within 1000-100,000 years due to mass extinctions, climate change and a completely fucked interrupted phosphoros cycle.

Our extinction will make the Permian-Triassic extinction event featuring Siberia getting covered with 2,000,000 square kilometres (770,000 sq mi) of lava over a few million years of non-stop volcanic eruptions look like a joke.

Because it will literally be billions of hairless apes starving to death on a desert death world because we didn't get our shit together today.

What's wrong with save or die "enemies"?

It'd be nice to see a game where the main mechanic is "survive for XP" instead of "kill for XP".

I'm sorry, but can you imagine the technology we will be having in 1000 years?

I mean, if we don't nuke ourselves in the next 50 or so we should be golden, and if we do, we die anyway.

lmao

I love destiny. How accurate is your post/ how much does it draw from this book?

Technology can only improve if we have money to fund scientific research.

Given the current global political climate of populism, nationalism/anti-globalism and anti-intellectualism, I can very much imagine a future where research stagnates, or even deteriorates.

>current

>implying it is "The End"

Human extinction isn't the End. Earth and life on it will happily continue.

Makes you wonder how on earth we ever got anything done before global elites did everything for us.

>anti-intellectualism

You mean anti-narrative driven politics? There's plenty of scientists who have been silenced because their research doesn't fit the narrative being pushed. There's plenty of evidence being suppressed and denied to tow the party line.

>end of human existence is not the end of human existence

>wah wah wah muh flat earth creationist annunaki crystal serbian pyramid science

Kingdom Death

>Technology can only improve if we have money to fund scientific research.

The "we" is the consumer, which is not limited to only governments. As long as people want new cool shit, new cool shit will be made.

Also, military research trickles down to the private sector anyway.

I'm not gonna argue for your strawman's, user.

>current scientific predictions are that humanity will be extinct within 1000-100,000

First of all, no, that's not true. You probably read that somewhere, but that somewhere wasn't an actual scientific journal.

Second, "1000-100,000 years"? That's like a doctor saying "your blood work came back, with your cholesterol levels you have only a year to live. Or maybe a century. Somewhere in there."

Does this new cool shit involve renewable power/nuclear power/fusion power, space exploration or environmental protection/recreation?

Because if not, we're still fucked. You can't save the future with iPhones.

>literally no context
>just teared up a little.
that's some impressive visual story telling you've got there
would be a shame if anyone...

sourced it.

It came from a journal. The journal also mentioned that it's unlikely humanity as a whole is stupid enough to keep on living like we live today for long enough to make extinction a certainty. But that's not the point. The point is that human extinction is very close and just around the corner.

The coming collapse of the phosphoros cycle is some scary shit man. You better hope for scientists to come with a solution on that.

>There's plenty of scientists who have been silenced because their research doesn't fit the narrative being pushed. There's plenty of evidence being suppressed and denied to tow the party line.

You truly don't understand what's happening.

It goes like this:

>"Ok, guys, we did 5,000 studies on climate change, and one of them came back negative. We're not gonna draw too much attention to the one negative result. We've just barely got these mouthbreathers understanding that this shit is happening, but they don't want to believe it and they'll seize on any tiny scrap of evidence against to ignore the mountain of evidence for."

And then people like you screech "THE EVIDENCE IS BEING SUPPRESSED!!!!!!!!!"

Hotel by Boichi.

Nevermind that retarded faggots like him don't understand how science works.

It pays more to destroy a theory than to hold one up with faulty data. You get more fame and more funding from wrecking shit.

Science is inherently anti-hierarchical and anarchistic.

I wonder if that faggot now comes with some schizo-paranoid Christian wank shite about Satan controlling the entire science community. That's what my dad does when I tell him this.

>Second, "1000-100,000 years"? That's like a doctor saying "your blood work came back, with your cholesterol levels you have only a year to live. Or maybe a century. Somewhere in there."

well a thousand is pretty optimistic to start

but if we make it through to a hundred years from now, then we'll necessarily have figured out enough of the immediate problems (peak oil, desertification, population crisis) to make it through the next thousand, because the hypothetical solutions to those problems are significant enough to keep us going for a long time

then if we manage to muddle our way through THOSE couple thousand years we would HAVE to have solved a whole new set of enormous crisis, so it'll likely take way bigger problems to challenge us again in the future

it's like when you first level up, there's a while where you crush all the old encounters that previously gave you trouble, though eventually you run into some new big bad to fight

You mean like scientists whose research was not recorded in reports, but whose names were used in them to give the report more credibility? You mean like how satellite readings find that global warming has been on a pause for the past 18 years? You mean like how the dude who came up with the famous hockey stick model everyone was using as proof says he was wrong?

>muh annunaki reptilian microwave mindcontrol drain the swaaaamp!

>He solved peak oil with a hockeystick, Liberals Hate Him!
>click here to find out how!

>There's plenty of scientists who have been silenced because their research doesn't fit the narrative being pushed. There's plenty of evidence being suppressed and denied to tow the party line.

Disagreement is not denial, and refusing to publish shoddy papers in your journal is not suppression.

You're not being silenced, you can shout dumbass theories from the rooftops for all I care. I'm thankfully free to call you a fucking idiot, though, just like I'm free to ignore your idiocy.

FREEDOM FUCK YEAH!

[citation needed]

>gets the requested specific examples
>spews memes
If you're so confident in your own viewpoint, defend it.

Huh, what a nice visualization of the concept.

So what do you call someone's name being used in an official report without anything they said in it, and them having to threaten legal action to get their name out of it?

The Night Land is actually listed in 5e's "Inspirational Reading" appendix. I don't know about the previous editions. So honestly I'd say you could run it just fine in there. Use re-fluffed monsters a bit above the party's level to keep things scary and voilĂ . Take into account the limited telepathic powers that most people have as well, include the diskos as a staple weapon and you have all you need.

freedom

A mistake. Shit happens. Mature people realize this.

Mature people would also have the name removed at the request of the person without legal action.

Mature people would also not be afraid of dissenting opinions and instead debate them openly, rather than just silence them. We saw how well silencing people have worked so far.

have a map for your edification, y'moonborne summerchilde.

>implying humanity won't continue on existing until heat death driven by pure spite and selfishness
I mean it's pretty much how we've survived up until now, I personally want to see how we manage to pollute the rest of the milky way like we have earth, it'll be glorious

What did we see?

Alpha Centauri, your biosphere work came back. I'm sorry, but you have humans. It's terminal.

Planet has a strong immune system.

youtube.com/watch?v=2L5JgTkxAkg

Does she end up being a monster?

Setting strike me as very Numenera -eqse. Perhaps you should run it in that world. Basic book already has a ton of overly weird monsters and events for you to use.

God damn this book sounds awesome, will read. Any other good shit like this?

Here is how hard science work : You, a scientist, have a field of expertise. Your job is to make findings in that fields, supported by enough evidence.
Once this is done, you publish your findings. These are then scrutinized by other scientists whose field of expertise is similar enough to yours that your paper will warrant their attention, and that they will understand your particular technobabble. Then, one of two things happen : >Said submission is deemed accurate with regards to the current understanding of science, and.
Or
>Said submission is deemed idiotic with clear contradictions with most other papers submitted on the topic, the community laughs at the author and calls him a hack.
Very, very, very rarely (I do need to emphasize on the rarity of this occurence) said author is, some time along the way, proved right in spite of prior assumptions. In the exceedingly large majority of cases, the scientific community as a whole is more or less efficient in removing noise from signal in any field of research (some more than others of course).

>Can such a process by influenced by politics?
Yes, of course. Politics and "the Media" can, will and have exagerated the visibility of some fields of research at the expense of others.

>Can such a process compromise an entire field of research
It is unlikely. Political influence deals in country-by-country basis, while the scientific community is international. Compromised documents will be laughed at by honest peers.

>Is Climate Change real?
Yes. You will believe otherwise, but yes.

>Gib proof.
I shouldn't, since the burden of proof lies on the accuser, and since acceptance of Climate Change being real as been a global consensus in the civilised world for a few years, that makes you the accuser.
Nevertheless, you are free to peruse this website at your leisure :
sciencedirect.com/
A significant amount of scientific data is published here, and submitted to peer scrutiny.

So if, say, during the next few years we start getting more and more publications going the other way on climate change, you will accept it as the truth?

It's not actually that good - all the cool shit you're hearing mentioned in a couple of pages,and then the hero of the peice goes to the lesser redoubts rather unadventfully, slaps the bitch in the lesser redoubt until she comes back with him and stops being a hysterical woman.

Cont.

>Is there some shady business in the field of science?
There is no singular field of science, but yes, fundings will sometimes, ah, "flavor" the outcome of some scientific pursuits. Private-funded research are especially dicey in this regard, if you think these are more reliable than publicly-funded ones, you are an idiot, the kind of idiot who wears tinfoil hats.
Sometimes, a scientist, postgraduate student or what have you, will not be properly credited, despite having done most of the work. This is often due to an unbalanced power relationship between the ones that are credited and the ones that aren't. It's ugly, it happens, but is does not, in any way, compromise the veracity of these publication. Only peer-review can affirm or debunk scientific findings.

>Does anecdotic examples of bad pratice in some fields of research compromise the whole field ?
No. Generalization, in *every* aspect of social scructures, is wrong, harmful and leads to terrible mistake. Keep that in mind.

I'm not really hoping that I have changed your mind, but I did try civilized discourse rather than Ad Hominem. If that did change your mind, great! If it didn't, well I tried.

Pardon my grammar. English is not my first language.

That's how science works you fucking retard.

Of course, if all the publications come from the Christian Science Institute from Mexico... hahahahahahaha.

>That's how science works you fucking retard.

Well, you did say you tried, so I'll give you that.

Tried what?

Civilized rather than Ad Hominem.

not everyone who disagrees with you is the same person

Then why are you answering for someone else? I didn't ask you, I asked .

>waaaah someone is being mean to me on the Veeky Forums mom!

Fuck off back to Plebbit you fucking sissy faggot.

because not everyone is the same person but we can all read how fucking retarded you are

Way to get triggered over nothing.

If it's nothing, why are you so mad about people calling you a fucking retard?

Maybe you should leave Veeky Forums until you've grown up and left your humongous teenage ego behind you.

You aren't even trying.

>Screaming umad? umad? umad? umad? umad?
Nah, you're the mad one newfriend.

>Does this new cool shit involve renewable power/nuclear power/fusion power, space exploration or environmental protection/recreation?
Well yes, all research in those domains are driven by consumer demand nowadays.

I work in such a lab

Might I recommend "The Night Land: A Story Retold"? It's a very good modernization that keeps most of the important core (including the beautifully weird desolation and menace of the Land, most importantly) without the shitty faux-16th-century overwrought prose or the really awkward failure of Hodgson to understand human interaction (Mirdath/Naani is still impish and sometimes uncooperative but both her actions and the main character's reactions read a lot better as being the behaviors of actual people with feelings).

The story is still a fairly basic "Dude goes through hell and back to rescue chick" yarn, but as with Avatar (The James Cameron one, not the awesome cartoon that got a painfully mixed quality sequel) you're here for the scenery anyway and there's so much imagination spent there that having an old, basic plot is totally forgivable when it's (re)told well.

If that sounds not to your taste, maybe just read chapter 2. Or 2-5 if you're being generous.

Just the fucking sight of this dumb fucker makes me angry...

Not that user, but in essence, yes, he is right.

Though I wouldn't say "more" but "most".

You see, peer-reviewed publications concluding to Climate Change not being real makes for such a tiny proportion of the whole field that it *is* basically risible.
The reason for that is, the reasons behind climate change aren't part of an easily-falsifiable (is that even a word?) field : They're physics. Simple, tried and true physics that was figured out in the 19th and early 20th century : Carbon dioxyde is a gaz that prevents some solar radiation from leaving Earth. Solar radiation is, by its very nature, energy. Energy can be absorbed or reflected. When it is absorbed, is rarely stays : it can, among other things, fuel chemical reactions, or be released through heat.
Therefore, less radiation leaving the planet means more being absorbed, an then released through heat. Therefore, more carbon dioxyde means more heat.
It just so happens that the overwhelming majority of human vehicles, and a significant amount of power plants and some other industries, release carbon dioxyde in the air.

I am making criminal oversimplications of course, but the basics are there, they are real and accurate, unless we make findings that somehow invalidates two centuries of very easily observable and analyzable physics.

Do you mean he's an effective villain or an avatar for your frustration over grindwall gameplay?

I hear Destiny is basically Warframe that you have to pay money for. Which is like fucking bad because at least Warframe is a free grindwall game.

Yes
Also:
>I could tell you of the great battle, centuries ago

>BUT I WONT

Do they actually pull that?

You'd think they'd know it's best to show things unexplained instead of half-way explaining things unseen.