5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.me/5eg
media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.me/5eg

Yo, that elf is fucking dead. He's still got his bow out as TWO goblins charge him, one of them with a spear, and he's not even aiming at either of them.

He's aiming his bow at the goblin mothership. Destroying it will make all the other goblins fall motionless onto the ground.

Did WotC ever get around to adding a brawler archetype for Fighter? Making characters with my group of pseudo-newbs and I haven't kept up with UA.

Hey /5eg/, got a DM question for you.

I've got an idea for a fight for my party, but I'm having trouble balancing it.

The big enemy is a dude who's turned him into some kind of arcane/alchemical monster. Doesn't do a lot magic - can turn invisible, cast darkness - but I'm thinking having it be a CR 6 monster. Now, I'm also thinking of having his wife be another monster, probably just a reskinned banshee. Now, a banshee is a CR 3 monster.

Is a group of a CR 6 and 3 too much for 4 level 5 party members? We started at level 5, they all have 1 magic item, but they're mostly for show. I'm just worried I'm throwing too much at them too quickly.

Are there any prebuilds from other systems worth porting over to 5e? A Pathfinder story, or a 3.5e one, or a Mutants and Monsters if there's any that fit.

CR 4. And no, it would just be a "hard" encounter.

Unless they roll bad, in which case they're dead, of course.

In a straight up battle they will likely stomp 2 monsters that aren't even above their CR

What is the most waifu build, guys? The party is an ultramacho sausagefest and I need to compensate.

College of Glamour presumably.
But I also like Oath of Devotion Paladin, presumably protector.

>>New Plane Shift: Kaladesh
>media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf
How would you stat a Planeswalker, if you wanted to use the MtG multiverse for a 5E game and let the players go to more than one plane?

I'm thinking for the non-Oldwalker type PWs (so the new crew), just something to the effect of innate magic "plane shift" once per short rest and comprehend languages at will, but no other stuff, since all the new PWs could be done up as various magic using classes. It wouldn't need to be any more complex than that, would it?

that feel when playing a middle aged male glamour bard that has a hard and cold exterior

You're right on the banshee, guess I was thinking of the basilisk's CR.

I guess I just don't get encounter building. According to the DMG, a CR 6 monster (2300xp) and a CR 3 monster (700) should be a deadly fight (2300+700 = 3000, 3k x 1.5 = 4500, 4.5k/4 = 1125, deadly fight for 4 level 5s is 1100 each). Should I ignore the DMG's encounter builder or is there some other information I've either skipped or don't know about?

How would you stat pic related in 5e?

>It wouldn't need to be any more complex than that, would it?
I've thought about this a buncha and, yeah, I don't think I needs to be more than just saying "you can do these two things".

I use Kobold Fight Club. It applies a penalty to adjusted XP based off the PCs outnumbering the enemy, I think (its a 2 to 1 fight). Might be from the UA article on encounters, not sure.

Divination Wizard with the Luck feat with a homebrew race that's "halflings but taller than humans,"and at a game table where a d20 critical counts as "what you say is law."

What should I do to study up on DnD settings?

Way too OTT for 5e.

Just finished a session where the party wizard died attempting to attune to the Wand of Orcus. Good stuff.

What makes those particularly waifu?

That can kill you?

Level 4 Arcane Trickster. After I hit 5 I sort of want to multiclass into a full caster. Would a Bard or Wizard have better synergy with the class?

div2

I multiclassed into Trickery Cleric. Most fun character I've played thus far, would recommend.

Yeah. If you attempt to attune to it, you have to make a DC 17 Con save. If you fail, you die and turn into a zombie. If you succeed, you still take 10d6 necrotic damage, but you attune to it.

There's a lot of settings, user.

>Greyhawk
Boring shit no one cares about anymore.
>Dragonlance
Boring shit even fewer people care about.
>Mystara
80s as fuck cool shit with a twist on the Gods and a Hollow Earth mini-setting. Has a spaceship and a swashbuckling coast where everyone gets super powers. Setting for the old D&D beat-em-up arcade games.
>Forgotten Realms
Closest thing to a standard D&D setting for 3.5 onwards. Every generic fantasy thing you could possibly want is in here. It's considered boring but mostly everyone just plays in the same region or acts like the whole world operates like medieval Europe (particularly the English parts). Setting for most of the later PC games.
>Maztica
Part of Forgotten Realms, but Aztecs, lizardmens, and birdpeople everywhere.
>Kara-Tur
Part of Forgotten Realms, but it's every Asian country slammed together.
>Al-Qadim
Part of Forgotten Realms, but it's Arabia.
>Dark Sun
Conan in the post-apocalyptic desert. Everything green is dead; bug people, psionics, and oiled+ripped people fight endless gladiatorial battles for the pleasure of cruel Sorcerer-Kings in the few bastions of civilization left. All the weapons are made out of bone and rock because metal's gone.
>Eberron
Shit's all weird, the races are different, there's magic and pseudo-technology everywhere like magical railroads. Has a very altered cosmology and not-robot people. Setting for the one of the D&D MMOs.
>Birthright
Everyone had a big war and the Gods sacrificed themselves and their blood got all over everyone so now some people have Godblood in them that gives them super powers and they run around playing Game of Thrones to absorb each others' Highlander bullshit.
>Planescape
Ostensibly related to FR, but not necessarily. Super weird shit happens here as you travel from one wacky plane to another. Like a Discworld novel on crack. Setting of Planescape: Torment, that PC game everyone liked.
>Spelljammer
Boats in SPAAAAAAAACE.

Archfey warlock. Make contract to become magical girl. Fluff eldritch blast as rainbow and star. Take Moonbow for finisher and use disguise self to turn yourself into magical girl before combat.

So whats better goin full EB or Moonbow build?

Why is shortsword a piercing weapon?

Been out of the loop for a while. What's a moonbow?

Because Roman and Italian fencing manuals, faggot. Thrust is the superior attack in 99.9% of all engagements.

>Any creature besides Orcus that tries to attune to the wand must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw. On a successful save, the creature takes 10d6 necrotic damage. On a failed save, the creature dies and rises as a zombie.

If you attune it though:

- magic mace, +3 weapon, +2d12 necrotic on every hit
- 2 minor beneficial and 1 major beneficial, 2 minor detrimental and 1 major detrimental
- +3 AC
- bunch of spell charges, recharges at dawn
- can summon 500hp among as many skeletons and zombies (average HP) as you want, so basically instant undead army on command once a day
- it's sentient: INT 16, WIS 12, CHA 16, described as "cold, cruel, nihilistic, and bereft of humour, feigns devotion to the current user to further Orcus' goals to kill everything in the multiverse"

It's pretty fucking good, unless you land one of the really shitty detrimental properties.

My wisdom sucks unfortunately. Right now I have +3 int and +2 cha, but my DM said I can switch them around before next game.

They're known for devastating stabs.

Warlock invocation

It's a bow made out of moonlight summoned from a Warlock's wacky fey patron in the new Wizard/Warlock UA.

I know that you guys dislike homebrew but how would one go about making a homebrew of a big robot character? I suppose he'd have buffs to int, str, and con but negatives to char and dex. Minuses to stealth, speed, and social stuff. Can't be charmed or poisoned by magic yadda yadda, but cannot use magic. I would imagine it to be it's own race class thing, with each level up "unlocking" various functions like built in weapons and features.

No matter what other people tell you, I can guarantee you the real answer is: because in D&D, it's always been a piercing weapon.

unique weapon for Archfey pact of the blade from the Warlock UA.

It let you do pseudo-smite (2d8 per spell slot) at range.

Depend on your pact. Tomelock can lock down enemy with speed reduction + push + phantom steed.

Sounds amazing, especially as running into Orcus isn't that uncommon (in terms of his popularity as an antagonist).

Warlock UA invocation, lets blade pact archey warlock summon a bow with their pact blade feature, gives advantage against lycanthropes and can smite.

Well in an ass combat campaign, you could simulate how powerful it would be via treating him as his own stand rather than as a solo, so that he is as powerful as ten combatants. The way a regiment can reconfigure itself for aid, defense, or mobility also seems appropriate for a robot.

Unfortunately, he rolled an 8 on his Con save. After the epic fight in which they were somehow able to disarm and banish Orcus, he died attempting to take that power for his own.

And thus ended the tale of Scrobnuss the wizard.

Is light cleric fun? I heard that fire damage suck.

This is good shit.

>Eberron
I thought I heard earlier people don't like Eberron but that sounds pretty cool, so what's the catch?

I'd let him continue the char with zombie as his new race, under the assumption he is controlled by the wand and would probably try to get someone else to use the wand.

It's not even close to competitive with EB, unfortunately. The only real benefit is that the moon bow can nova SUPER hard on a crit compared to EB.

People with good taste love Eberron.

"It's different" is why they dislike it, basically.

There's all the same races there, but many of the monstrous ones act differently. I believe orcs and minotaurs are really changed. There's Drow everywhere (which is gay), and some people don't like the House stuff (I think Houses are dumb in every setting they're in, but that's my pet peeve). Some people also dislike the high-tech element to it, the fact that lightly magical items are everywhere. My greatest exposure to it is from DDO, but I'll be honest in saying that my eyes basically glazed over at all the lore details because AGAIN, FUCK HOUSES.

But hey it's got jungles and giant land and magical tattoos and robot people and a realm of pure madness so that's cool.

>There's Drow everywhere (which is gay

what?

they're mostly segregated to the giant person continent

Stand? What do you mean by that?

"X is a bad/good damage type" is a shitty meme.
There are remarkably few creatures with resistances, immunities, and vulnerabilities in 5E to begin with. Fire is one of the most commonly immuned types, but there are several other types with more creatures resistant to it.

Only an unrepetent faggot of a DM would constantly throw the handful of resistant or immune creatures (many of which you'd never see anyway) at your party knowing there's "the Fire Guy" there, especially without some means of downgrading resistance/immunity.

Mechanically, Light is a cool domain. If you must give in to the fearmongering of resistancefaggots, just ask your DM if you can change your element. Say you still cast Fireball and Burning Hands and all that other shit, but it's Cold-themed or Lightning-themed now. That's not Burning Hands, it's Snowspray. Warding Flare isn't you flashing a laser in the enemy's eyes, it's a puff of stinging air and glittering snowflakes. This is the refluff edition. This shit literally doesn't matter and any faggot who goes "wah it'd be overpowered to make a Light Cleric run on thunder damage" can go eat a dick. No, they can eat TWELVE dicks.

>There's Drow everywhere
In Eberron? They're scorpion-worshiping jungle dwellers on the Unga Bunga continent. You'd be lucky to find like five on the entirety of Eberron's main campaign location (Khorvaire).

You can't just put Drow somewhere and expect them to stay there.

In the When Armies Clash thing for UA, stands represent units of 10, and solos represent single powerful figures. For the most part, a stand and a solo both function as the same thing, but with a few changes. For example, a solo spellcaster can't use targeted spells on a stand, unless it could affect 5+ guys.

You have to be near another stand to avoid being isolated (a sort of combined disadvantage and vulnerability), so one giant robot could protect another stand or a solo from becoming isolated, and you'd only need one other stand to keep him from being isolated.

Easiest way in mass combat to defeat most enemies is to use some heavy duty knockback effects (total of 20-40 feet) to isolate an enemy stand or solo, and then everyone gets advantage and deals double damage to him.

>Only an unrepetent faggot of a DM would constantly throw the handful of resistant or immune creatures (many of which you'd never see anyway) at your party knowing there's "the Fire Guy" there

Fiends in general tend to have resistance or immunity, and its not even remotely the DM's fault if they run to a fiend heavy segment of the game and somebody wanted fire damage man.

>an army of javelin-throwing Battlemasters with Pushing Attack
>Warlocks with Repelling Blast
>and Open Palm Monks

Guess what, demonfucker, it's now Radiant fire because GAWD SAID SO

Are times standard array is better than point buy?

Thinking about how 5e's low/no magic items jibes with Eberron, how would inexpensive devices that could cast cantrips as 1st level characters do change a world?

why bother having different damage types in the first place then?

I've been running an Eberron campaign and as long as you follow the treasure and pricing guidelines in the DMG, having magic items readily-purchased or crafted isn't really a problem. It gives characters a ton of stuff to spend money on, at least, and upping the difficulty a bit to match them isn't hard.

Why is there no female halfling art whete their feet hair is groomed or styled with clips or ribbo s?

Even in Eberron, super broken shit like that probably is a mistake. Eberron is more about "what would a world be like if magic items really were bought and sold?"

Because you're an good DM and not one of the hacks who made the MM and threw resistances/invulns all over the place all willy-nilly because "that sounds okay" or "well it was kind of like this in past editions" then left out basically every vulnerability.

I'm not saying you never throw in something with resistance to something the party can do, but you don't chuck fire giants and elementals and demons at the pyromancer and the guy with the flaming longsword. Have a little fucking ingenuity.

Spells weren't balanced around "this element is common so it must be weak" or "this element is resisted a lot so its spells will do more damage than this other element which is never resisted". They were barely balanced at all. There's no reason to treat Fire or Cold like pariahs or Radiant like it's god's gift to munchkins.

My only real problem with eberron is it having elves+dwarves+halfings+goblinoids at all.

Bard.

Eberron is more about buying tables that float up to 30 pounds of food, glasses with self-shading transition lenses, and brooms that sweep of their own accord, not wands of fireball everywhere.

That'd be pretty effective.

Area effect damage can be pretty good, if it covers a 20x20 area at least -- they do half damage if they can't cover the whole stand. One stand casting an area effect against another deals double damage, as its assumed they're all targeting the same area.

>he's okay with humans
Trash.

Well considering a big design goal of Eberron was making a playground where all or almost all the stuff in 3e had a home, not having those races would be a pretty grievous failing.

The real problem is there's only one Dragonmark for Dwarves and it SUCKS SHIT

>Spells weren't balanced around "this element is common so it must be weak" or "this element is resisted a lot so its spells will do more damage than this other element which is never resisted"

Burning Hands and Stinking Cloud definitely seem to be balanced around such things, really.

I'd actually be fine with the removal of humans too, but I imagine it would be a far less popular decision.

Well, let's see.
Create Bonfire, scaled down, would be lighters and firestarters, and would allow for the steam engine to exist without the use of fuel
Dancing Lights and Light would allow for something akin to the industrial revolution, as people can now work through the night
Druidcraft would make the creation of exquisite gardens easy and would allow for perfect weather forecasting everywhere, without the need for mass communication
Friends would probably cause a panic when young men use it surreptitiously to pick up women
Guidance would increase the overall skill level of the average human being by about 20%
Mage Hand is just a useful spell in general for the lazy in society
Mending takes jobs away from hardworking Americans
Message is like texting but within sight
Minor Illusion is weird, because it's one of the most useful spells, but I can't think of a non-adventuring use for it
Prestidigitation is pretty useful as an all-around magic spell. Its use is kind of fuzzy, as people will argue about for hours
Shape Water allows for the instant creation of ice, allowing food to be preserved
Spare the Dying allows for a much heightened lifespan among the average person

Of course damaging cantrips are useful, but would probably be illegal for the average citizen to use (alternatively, everyone would be required to own one for the purposes of defending their nation).

I want to like Eberron, but the stuff like halflings being dinosaur-riding nomads and drow being jungle savages strikes me as trying too hard to be different.

Demons and daemons definitely seem to be balanced around being a horrendous problem for arcane casters to deal with, and have basically always been so, with varying degrees of success.

There's nothing different about this if you're familiar with Dark Sun.

Actually, dinosaurs are pretty useful for the edition it was made (3e), since they give a mid to high power option to put their animal-based spells to use.

>demons and devils are a problem for arcane casters
No? Less so than most other classes, assuredly. 5E doesn't even have SR anymore.

But there are wands of fireball everywhere. Eternal wands, even.

Fire has 37 resistance and 40 immunity in MM.

Only Cold (46 resistance) and Poison (90 immunity) is worst than it on both ground.

3.5's standard setting was Greyhawk-Lite, not Forgotten Realms.

There are plenty of halflings in the cities. They just have uncivilized brothers out in the sticks.

Kind of like how I live in one of the most populated cities in the US but there's literal cavemen 300 miles in any direction who subsist off of grouse and have a home that moves.

How do I deal with hoards of low level enemies as an alone 3rd level Vengeance Paladin with no special AoE items? I got curbstomped today and it feels like there's nothing I could've done.

They SAID the default was Greyhawk, but everything they did was in furtherance of FR.

SR still exist in the form of advantage on saving throw.

If there is a useless damage type, it's poison. Several PC classes even get immunity to it.

I like Dark Sun, but that was dumb then too.

Well that's just sloppy.

> Less so than most other classes, assuredly

Other way around. Now, clerics and paladins certainly have an easier time against them, by and large, but that's a good thing.

>5E doesn't even have SR anymore.

It does have magic resistance, which you can't get around effortlessly like SR, though.

>How do I deal with lots of enemies as a martial?
You don't. GWM is the only thing that gets you close but it becomes increasingly worthless as a mook-slayer as mooks grow stronger but your per-hit damage doesn't scale.

You run for the protection of Big Papa AoE Caster and hope he blesses you with a Burning Hands or some shit. Your job is to fight and die to keep him safe.

Ravenloft?

>two classes are most other classes
????????

At least its readily available and super damaging.

Actual paladins have among the best crowd control effects around: turning fiends and either fey or undead. Doesn't cover everything, oh well.

This is shit design.

Buy a mount. Take polearm. Attack stuff and Dash or Disengage back every turn.

>All the weapons are made out of bone and rock because metal's gone.

I dare say Dark Sun's got an over abundance of metal.