How do you tolerate the 'people' at tournaments and game shops?

How do you tolerate the 'people' at tournaments and game shops?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/pqyEYax
youtube.com/watch?v=3O6HVsdi0P4
youtube.com/watch?v=o0xDGXotGIE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Obligatory Francis-is-a-character-post

If they don't suck to be around despite their abrasive NEET tendencies, try to empathize with them over shared interests.

If they smell, sperg out, are an asshole, etc. Make fun of them with your friends immediately after leaving the store.

I don't.

Behave yourself or get wrecked in the back alley, I'm not putting up with any bullshit either way.

The spergs don't really exist around here, our friendly local game shop ploy has friendly beautiful well groomed people.
That's the benefit of living in a major city.

I don't.

Avoid contact, or bring friends

Watch out, boys, we got a real tough guy over here.

I don't go to tournaments and I don't interact with anyone at the game store besides my friends and the cashier.

I dont. I just buy my shit and get the fuck out of there.

>Game shops having space to play
Is this some sort of American thing? All the ones around here are kiosk-sized shops crammed full with games and barely any space to move, not to mention sit and play.
If you want to play and do so in public, you go to a gaming bar instead

Everyone at my tournament shop is pretty chill so we don't have any assholes.

Greed is one hell of a motivator to overcome even the discomfort of uncouth company.

I don't play mtg or 40k

Daily reminder the vault experiment makes no sense and it was shoehorned in the last minute

Getting space in America is relatively cheap, so most game shops have both game tables and product shelves. When a shop gets you coming regularly to play they are likely to sell you something a lot of the time when you do.

Here in Italy it was normal for shops that sold gaming stuff to have tables to play it too, even if they were smaller shops or the gaming stuff was just a secondary business. It was years ago though, don't know how things are now. Last I heard even GW1 in Milan might shut down.

>willing to commit assault and battery over a neckbeard getting salty
sure user

My "city" has 50.000 inhabitants and only 3 of the regulars are even anywhere near "husky", with one of them starting to lose weight. This in a group of about 15-16 regulars. I guess prioritizing hobbies over food in a Europ00r country helps.

Most that I've seen (Britbong here) have at least tablespace and a few have the occasional upstairs area.

By not living in the US.

People here in our German LGS are mostly very nice and not smelly or fat at all.

Generally I don't. Gotta a pretty cozy gaming group.
Also: Why is people in quotation marks?

Here in slavlands the room with gaming tables is usually underneath the store rather than above it.
Rooms without windows are usually considerably cheaper.

They are usually pretty decent people. Fat sack of shit and other retards tend to get weeded out.

>How do you tolerate the 'people' at tournaments and game shops?

I don't have to.

My FLGS has been around in one location or another since the 1970s in a middle-sized US city outside a military base. Customer base is varied so the owner isn't wholly dependent in sperglords and Francis-clones.

The owner is also well known in wargaming circles, routinely play tests new designs, and as been involved in projects like the original Axis&Allies. While he doesn't much care for the type of game, he got in early on the CC craze which kept his store afloat during the 90s. He also did mail order sales from the beginning and internet sales very early on.

He's a nice guy but he doesn't put up with any shit. I've seen him turn people around at the door because their ban wasn't up yet. I've seen him eject people for certain behavior. I've also seen him require a Francis-clone pass a "sniff test" before letting him play.

If you regularly enforce standards from the first, you don't have any problems. It's only when you feel "sorry" for the worthless shits that the problems begin.

>going out
>socializing

I'm extremely socially inept, so I make sure I spend extra time grooming myself before I go to FNM and stuff. I make sure to shower, brush my teeth, do my hair, practice things to say in the mirror and wear my best clothes. Then I proceed to sit in a corner and mumble to myself. I don't think anyone hates me though. I guess I'm just that weird guy. I hope I don't smell bad or anything.

I have a weird problem with this. I'm a passing normie and I have no anxiety about going out in new places in public and hanging out with bros, talkative and friendly at work, never awkward, clean shaven and smelling nice, but the thought of going to my FLGS and hanging out with "my own people" instantly fills my pockets with spaghetti. I don't know why. Maybe I've been passing so long I've gone native and forgotten what it's like on the other side.

I'm very anxious about going to my FLGS to see what they've got going on.

Not being too offensive to the eyes and ears is 90% of the way toward not being a cringelord. Believe it or not, you don't have to be a great conversationalist to be well liked. The only really important thing is being comfortable. If you feel welcome, you WILL be welcomed.

You can't want to be in the crowd too badly, but don't avoid it either. Bring a phone or book so you don't get bored before or after games. This sounds antisocial, but the truth is that everybody gets bored when not in familiar company. When you play games, ask for names when keeping score and try to remember them.

You can say almost nothing but as long as you try to be happy about yourself the situation will easily transform from "Who is that weird guy" to "Hey user, we are going to the waffle shop to play cube. You in?"

This is a lesson that was painful for me. Being social isn't about other people, it's about how good YOU feel. There are other little tricks like just saying hi to somebody if you know their name, but that stuff is secondary.

also check out the conversational d pad, it sounds autistic as fuck but it really helped me become more comfortable around new people.

imgur.com/gallery/pqyEYax

Don't worry user we're all turboautists deep down

>this triggers the Magic-fag

youtube.com/watch?v=3O6HVsdi0P4

My flgs is known for sick bants and passive aggression. Those who take the hobby way too seriously just sulk out quietly.

However, it's a very small shop, and I dread the day that a boisterous That Guy will burst in and misinterpret our snide jokes as an actual threat.

Don't ply MTG and GW games and you'll be mostly fine.

I'm just confused, why would someone do that? I guess it's sort of the same as just burning money, but I don't get why someone would do that either. I don't even play MTG except for ever so often with friends, but it just seems like a waste.

>implying anyone on this site actually goes to game stores
>implying anyone here isn't the one being tolerated

This. I think one of the biggest culture shocks of visiting europoors is how much god damn unused space we have in America. We need it for our massive obese neckbeard population

Mooom, I don't want to go LGS today. It smells bad in there, the fatties are obnoxious and the kids are laughing at me behind my back.
C'mon, Bobby, you know it's the only place that was hiring.

I don't play Magic, I'm triggered thinking of how many homeless kids you could feed by selling that.

Or feeding it to them?

Wait a second, I was told that Europe was a shithole overrun by crazies and immigrants, these accounts don't line up.

Literally what?

Same.
Someone explain what's going on?

I remember last time I went to paris (2001) there were a few game store that seemed to have some playing space.

Is there anyone from the Boston area?
How is Pandemonium and the compleait Strategist?
I've visited them a few times but never stayed for games.
I'm kicking myself for not doing so, used to live 20 minutes walk from CS.

>How is Pandemonium and the compleait Strategist?

Can't tell you about Pandemonium, but CS moved a few years back to Comm Ave near BU's Nickerson Field. It's right off the Green Line's B route.

It wasn't very big back when it was on Mass Ave near the Christian Science HQ, but it's about the size of a fucking closet. Seriously, my living room is bigger.

You have a huge ass living room then, mate.
How much is rent?

I'm looking at $1500/month studios if I go back, only about a 1/3 bigger than the $900 7'x18' shitbox I was in last year. Bathroom was seperate. Last I heard it was rented for $1150.
I was right on the C branch, though. Could also hear the D behind me.
I had visited it once, it is cramped but I saw more variety of RPGs there than any other lgs I've been to, usually it's mostly DnD and Pathfinder. Although I have not been to many.
What I meant is how is the "scene" there, if any one knew what games were like.
I checked postboard people left games/looking for games last time I went to Pandemonium, but didn't keep up. Got lazy.
But seriously where and for how much and can I live with you?

As a European, what the fuck is a gaming bar?

woah it's almost like Europe is a geographically large and culturally diverse area to which applying one universal constant would be naive.

I don't play at tournaments or game shops, I just play with my friends

>As a European
Is literraly a thing only american would say, nobody in europe feel "European" faggot, unless you are upselling yourself because you are from romania or some east shithole

>You have a huge ass living room then, mate.

No, I just don't live in Boston or it's suburbs.

As you note, the amount and variety of stock is amazing, almost equal to the NYC store. The location is both tiny and crazy. You have to walk through a commercial building and down a corridor all the way to the back like you're going to a car stereo from a friend of a friend of a friend.

dude what, literally this and if you're european you should know what a gaming bar is. got two or three in my town here in sweden. and if fucking WE got them then i'm sure they are spread across europe, especially in larger cities.

That was pretty great, though. Felt kinda cozy to me, there were a few other stores and they all had glass pane exterior doors despite it being a carpeted hallway.

There was a back entrance that was right next to the CS, although I think it led to a back alley and this building was in the middle of the block.
They had a take a book, leave a book bin kind of thing outside where I got an animation history book by Leonard Maltin. What I thought was just a nifty back cover turned out to be the color plates in the middle, meaning I was missing half the book. Lost the part on UPA. Still intending to leave a book.

Ah, I guess this is Veeky Forums, not a blog or chatroom

Most of the people at my local Game Store are really just kids from the high school who don't have anything better to do but be nerds. They're not bad kids, don't smell, are a little autistic, but mostly just try to be cool to the older players.

One of the older players is kind of autistic. Wears a coon skin hat, and has tried to run some tabletop games where he makes it impossible to win. He's harmless, and just gets annoying sometimes. Doesn't smell or sperg out.

Most everyone else thats not a HS kid is 20-28 who arent dating or working. It's actually kind of nice.

>got two or three in my town
What fucking town is that? Tell me so I can move there.

The fucked up thing is that its just a piece of paper. Its no more valuable than a fucking plains except that we all just agree that it is.

WOTC could fire up the printers and churn out a billion of them. Its just ink and paper thats only valuable because its broken in this game where people have imaginary wizard battles.

i buy online, and play with only a group of friends, i suggest you all do the same

He is right I'm italian and never heard about gaming bars. Not that I would ever visit one, I prefere to sit down and play without having to pay an expensive water bottle.

>Unable to understand you are the type of person he is referring to.

So Mr. Seagal how come you haven't done any movies lately?

Fake, not even a good fake. Look at the boarder and then look at an alpha, beta or unlimited boarder. Double boarder is missing. Probably cost him $5 on the chinaman market.

Bad fake, boarder is not correct on the card. There is a reason he is using a potatoe to film. You can get Chinese fakes like that for $2-5 a pop.

My GW is super comfy. It's got some spergs, but they just sit in the corners awkwardly and occasionally dish out some nice knowledge of the rules or fluff. The GW Manager is really funny and chill. The rest are all chill dudes and oddly a really funny and friendly tranny.

I remember that my 20% store discount depends on it and suck it up.

I actually work at a local comic/hobby shop, and in all seriousness, I haven't ran into very many problems. If someone smells like ass, we politely but firmly tell them to leave and return once they've showered. As for people sperging out, we have several TOs that self-moderate the game room fairly and efficiently.

Ausfag here, we've got gaming shops with playing space.

I don't hang out at such places. I go in, I buy my stuff, I game with people I actually like.

I was like this for the longest time, user, until I grew up and realised I just wanted to have fun, rather than worrying about being cool.

Because "people" is a generous label for them.

Canadafag btw.

They have gaming space. But I don't want to game with assholes.

Hiding is easy. You can't hide at the flgs. That's who you are.

Not coincidentally, that's also why I don't play online multiplayer games where I have to hear them bitch and shit-talk.

You sound like a dick.

>If you aren't willing to hang out with literally anyone you're a dick.

Or maybe hygiene and manners are not optional to you.

you just proved his point.

The same thing could be said of paper currency.

Including the imaginary wizard battles.

no he didn't wtf

it's your responsibility as a human being to take care of your hygiene and social conduct. if you do not then YOU are the dick for expecting other people to accomodate your funky ass when you are not putting even the slightest bit of effort into making yourself bearable to be around. like gosh, there's a big 3 hour game at your LGS today, maybe take a shower before heading off? or is that nerdshaming you or something

>he

>xd another person disagreeing with me? must be le samefag!!!

Here you go mr. "Only one person could disagree with me"

Part 2.

Hygiene matters. Take a goddamn bath, and don't stink up the room.

Also, act like a civilized human being.

If you won't do those two basic things, it's your fault that people avoid you.

>using his phone to pretend to be multiple people

kek'd softly

youtube.com/watch?v=o0xDGXotGIE

>posting niggers
hm

you aren't really making yourself seem like the better man here

>My flgs is known for sick bants
This post just clarified something for me.
I grew up with my cherished family members joyfully cussing, cursing, and deriding each other as we played games.
I have no problem with banter of any level.

But those who are proud of "their sick bants" disgust me.
I can handle the bants, but I won't handle those that think its impressive.

Not that this poster necessarily is like that.
Nor am I suggesting that he is of the sad collection that would actually use the phrase "sick bants" out loud.

Party on.

What the fuck was that?

>Uncivilized white trash confirmed.

>Thinking I give enough of a fuck that I would go to multiple machines, at 2am no less, to samefag and then pretend to be multiple people.
Gimme a break. Get your head out of your ass.

>What the fuck was that?
del the funkee homosapien

perhaps one of the greatest performers in history

>But those who are proud of "their sick bants" disgust me.
>I can handle the bants, but I won't handle those that think its impressive.

lol sum1s neva been out on the lash wiv ya m8 the archbish of banterbury and rare fancied a cheeky nandos

It's 2am. I'm phone posting because I'm posting from bed, while watching TV before I go to sleep.

I'm not going to get up, go to my office, turn on my desktop, and open my browser, and go back and forth. That would be a lot of effort.

I now have the craving to see Gary Larson draw massive american plains filled with wandering neckbeards.

You still have the irrational urge to proof yourself.
It's just that everything in you is a dick.
You personallity is formed around it.
You behaviour follows the rules of being a dick.

You are the born to be dick dude.

Not him, but we've got atleast one here in umeƄ.

Sure. Whatever.

I don't actually care if you think I'm a dick. I'm not the one you were calling a dick to begin with, that's my point. I'm fine with being a dick.

My point is that more than one gamer in the world cares about hygiene and the ability to act like a person.

If people won't game with you because you smell like an outhouse, bathe weekly, and are covered in mustard stains, ground potato chips, and stale sweat; or if you can't talk to someone without bringing up your creepy fetishes or hitting on eleven year olds: you're the problem, and people aren't obligated to put up with you.

How about answering the fucking question instead? I'm french and I don't even know if we have "gaming bars" here because the only thing remotely close to fitting that description in my city is cancerous eSports shit, not MTG.

still made the reply.
topkek