Healing domain Clerics

>Healing domain Clerics

Newbie trap general.

>builds
>toons
>IT Crowd macros

Well, that domain saved my party more than once so I'm quite happy with it.
Plus, my cleric is a simple man with a peasant's background, I don't see him bringing down God's retribution during a skirmish.

>pathfinder

In my defense, my last cleric was intended to be a healslut

Luck domain is the best.

>hear at the table "what a coincidence! I took Endurance too!"
>2 different people at the table looked at that feat and said "I need this garbage"

>20 Con Dwarf Barbarian
>takes Toughness
>I've got more hit points than a bugbear!

idiot

>now I'll never die! says man who never drops below the amount of hit points gained from the feat

These kind of threads and mentality are why Veeky Forums has turned into /v/3.0

>Garbage feat
>Lets you sleep in armor without penalties

>Needing to sleep in armor
>Needing to use heavy armor
>Not preparing properly if you DO use armor
>Not just magically staying awake
>Sleeping

You are smalltime.

but it fucking is tho

>"Ooh, are there more feats like Alertness?"
> - Newbie who was afraid of being a low-int Paladin

>What are ambushes?
>What is being caught flatfooted
>What is being interrupted during your eight hours of bookfucking
>What is not wasting resources
>What is doing what every living creature does

This is why wizards always end up insane and senile. They think enough arcane energy can make up for something you are supposed to do to stay alive and healthy.

I wasn't implying that a noon player would say that (probably would have green texted if I was), Luck really is a top tier domain.

noob*

Fucking phone.

This will be a dungeon crawling campaign to teach you combat mechanics.

>Low INT Rogue dumps skill points in Knowledge (Local)
>"Who knows when it will come in handy"

I do, never.

The opposite is also true; some noobs seem to think that knowledge skills are useless.

No, no they are not.

>Not using Knowledge (Local) as a quest hook generator

It's like you don't even want to ignore the DM's main quest.

>Ambushes
Quite literally negated by the single most basic divination magic. Only becomes less relevant from there.
>Caught Flatfooted
Basic abduration. Miss chances. Invisibilty. Etc.
>Interrupted during preparation
Magic items, and not blowing all your spell slots like a mook.
>Wasting resources
See above.
>Every living creature does
The vast majority of living creatures live naked in the woods, shit while they walk around, and die horrible "natural" ways.

>Playing a game like 3.5e or pathfinder where lore skills are narrow to the point of absurdity.
>Even wasting your time on a game like that

How many spell slots do you have to split between divinations, abjuration, and then whatever you were planning on doing that day?

I chose to be a cleric of avendra cause I like giving holy goddess guidance by playing black jack

Three + Color Spray at low levels. So... maybe five? Four if I take sleep instead?

monks

fighters

I think in the context of the campaign being built around just combat, yes, its useless.

Depending on the system you can make a knowledge check when you see a monster to reveal some of its stats and abilities.

Some knowledge skills would be useless in a pure combat dungeon crawl, but arcana, religion and dungeoneering can be quite handy.

Unless the players are all meta gaming fucks who look up monster stat blocks on their phones.

If he's talking about the Pathfinder version, it does kinda suck. All it does is give you 1 extra hp per level.

Guessing this is more bitching about the 3.5 kind that has a shitty list of domain spells, and not the 5e one that has maximized healing spells

If he's talking about the Pathfinder version, he's got far more troubles than just the feats available.

This is where the "healslut" meme comes from. Or did you think barbarians are intelligent enough to think up memes of their own? They just copy the more respected clerics.

It's alright, I play 3.5 and I like it(this is my first campaign), I beacause of the basic healing spells I learned that buff/debuff are more important than being a field surgeon.

That's toughness

in the normal dungeon grinding setting, yes endurance is useless. if you are running a campaign that is not exclusively set in dungeons and decisions have real impact, then sooner or later you will be on the run and sooner or later you will be in a situation when you dont have your normal gear / you are forced to keep pushing after youve spent most of your per day stuff / have to sleep in the open / have to roll for con saves due to exertion and so on. then endurance is very nice. and so is improved unarmed fighting (even if you are a druid/cleric/bard/rogue anything - maybe being wiz/sorc is a bit of a stretch...)

How come that demonic beastman hasen't been slain, yet ?

>year of our lord 1099
>they still haven't noticed that I'm a frog

>not using Endurance to exert the PC's by making them run away from boulder traps, retain slowly closing stone doors and/or falling ceillings, escaping collapsing corridors, etc

Never got this. I've played so many fighters over the years and never fell behind.

Just find a niche that needs to be filled in your party.

>Unless the players are all meta gaming fucks who look up monster stat blocks on their phones.
>he doesn't refluff the monsters so it's impossible to metagame
>he doesn't make his own stat blocks
>shiggy diggy

yeah you can use it for that, but in 9 cases out of 10 it wouldnt matter. running away from a boulder trap requires running fast, not running for a long time. retaining slowly closing doors requires strength, not stamina. trying to reach a town in time, though is something that endurance will help a lot with, as you would probably have a lot of checks involved.

i always thought that fighters are not the dmg dealers. They are more of a gunboat diplomacy / battlefield manipulator / tank sort of a thing. Like get lots of different feats for different situations - not dmg focus feats. I mean like improved sunder, trip, grapple, disarm, mounted combat, more attacks of opportunity, unarmed fighting etc. It lets you disable monsters and tank, and it also lets you find "peaceful" solutions in town where force is required, without an exaggerated response - like no one will be too mad you punched someone in the face or disarmed them, but if you draw your sword and slice them there would be trouble. I think the fighter is better at this even than the monk.

The Fighter is better at combat maneuvers than the Monk but that means literally nothing because not only is Monk one of the worst classes at combat maneuvers, combat maneuvers are absolutely fucking 0/10 terrible unless you're a chain tripper or a Dungeoncrasher.

>D&D

Why would they be terrible? Disarm, Grapple, Trip, Sunder, Bull Rush can be very useful. They don't deal damage, but most can be chained nicely to render opponents incapable of fighting. Grappled caster = GG.
Sunder or Disarm on generic humanoid mobs make them pretty useless too. Bull Rush can save party members, and is one of the best ways to make mobs attack you instead of someone else. Trip gives you an extra attack anyway so why not use it as much as you want?

>Disarm, Grapple, Trip, Sunder, Bull Rush can be very useful.
They really can't. Damage ramps up to the point where you're killing enemies in one or two rounds by yourself if you're not absolute shit at your job, almost definitely one if you bother to pick up Pounce at any point, so why the fuck would you bother with any of them aside from bull rushing if you're a Dungeoncrasher or a tripping build if you specialized in that? This isn't news, either, this has been known in charop circles for literally over a decade at this point.

Because you don't want to kill your enemies? Because sundering a weapon or disarming an enemy will render them useless right now, instead of when their HP drops to 0? Because a trip attack gives a free attack if you succeed the trip, so why not use it anyway?

>Because you don't want to kill your enemies?
That sounds like a personal problem.
>Because sundering a weapon or disarming an enemy will render them useless right now,
You mean it'll break the loot and be significantly harder than killing them so it's a total retard move.
>Because a trip attack gives a free attack if you succeed the trip, so why not use it anyway?
It also subjects you to being tripped back and/or being disarmed if you didn't invest in feats, at which point you should be

building around tripping ANYWAYS, so I don't see how this is actually any different from what I was talking about in the first place.

Chain tripping is cancer, I'd rather fight a lolsaveordie caster than deal with >trip>stand up>trip>stand up>trip

Better than "I full attack", especially if you're the kind of martial that'll take 4 rounds to kill anything doing it.

He's Catholic, so obviously he gets a pass.

Knowledge skills are useless. This is why they shouldn't be in the game. Along with the other skills.

But they help to build a character's background.
It's difficult to explain how a cleric can't say anything about religion or a ranger can't do shit in the woods.

>It doesn't help combat situations, so it shouldn't be in the game

>Not turning into a lich or being surrounded by an army of magical constructs

You sound like a sorcerer to me

>Noob detected

How is it useless to know the tactics of the local badguys?

>Goblins attack when they have overwhelming numbers, and never approach a fair fight. They send out scouting parties that will return with a bigger group.

You personally might know that just from playing D&D, but your Lvl 1 Cleric, sleeping in the forest for the first time, who has never left the temple probably doesnt.

How is it useless to know information like what abilities monsters have before you fight them?
>Because you're a metagaming fuck and dont care about game intergrity, or general story. You like "Me hit thing, me powerful".

If you don't have a way to escape a grapple as a caster you deserve to get killed

>spheres of power + healing domain + healer's touch
you are small time

Shit is immune to bring tripped. Less is immune to massive damage. Even in a largely humanoid campaign, as soon as folks are flying, they can't be tripped. So you're wasting feats.

Disarm is terrible once everything is casting and natural attacks. Sunder breaks loot. Freedom of Movement, Incorporeality, teleportation, Gaseous Form, etc. completely invalidate grappling. Most combat maneuvers also have a size limit. They're narrow in scope, so you end up flailing uselessly once you hit higher levels.