SS13: The Pause Before the Explosion Edition

Welcome to the thread for d20 station, a rules light, medium RP Space Station 13 server.

>What is Space Station 13?
It's a 2D top down atmospherics simulator with who dun it gameplay layered on top. Each crew member aboard the station has a specific job to perform, while a select few are selected to be traitors (assassin/spy/thief).

>Why is this on muh Veeky Forums?
d20 is a server made for fa/tg/uys by fa/tg/uys

>How do I play?
You'll need to download the BYOND client.
BYOND Download link: byond.com/download/
A BYOND account is HIGHLY recommended

To connect: Open BYOND, click the gear in the upper right. Click "Open Location" and paste in the IP below (Visual guide: i.imgur.com/d9D82fK.jpg).
byond://76.16.8.127:28014 OR byond://d20station.ddns.net:28014

>I'm new, and I don't know what the fuck to do. How do I swap hands?
Use OOC (backspace say" in the bottom, type OOC and hit enter, or: i.imgur.com/RodAGGZ.png), which means Out Of Character chat, and ask someone for help on how to play. People will almost always help you get a grip of the game if you're polite about it, just don't reveal too much in-round information in OOC.
There's also wikis dedicated to documenting the spaceman way of life, but they vary widely from server to server.

>What are the rules?
The rules are very relaxed and admins try to take a hands-off approach to administrating. Admins will generally only intervene if someone is explicitly playing to ruin the game. Reminder to read the rules in-game.

>What map/code do you run?
We run a heavily modified Ministation map with mostly custom code. Most jobs on Ministation are merged with similar counterparts and head roles have been re-enabled.

>When does everyone play?
The server is mostly populated with Americlaps, so peak times are usually between 7pm-3am EST

>Who are these tripfags?
Usually admins/coders for the server

Miscellaneous links pastebin: pastebin.com/5jJ6E75M

>8 players

Nernums is a quack, and you server is a quack by association.

don't let the globalists win, don't let the computers tell you what to do

>be me, alex jones
>spout my hate for globalists
>lee as the obvious ling asks for the succ of everyone, and then proceeds to set all of engineering on fire
>scruffy tells me he's a vet so I give him random access and an ID card
>AI keeps telling me what to do
>go off on a shitcon rant while the Captain tries to rape the HoS in his bathroom
>HoS cuffs the captain, the captain somehow gets out of cuffs and prompts the HoS on a chair and starts shooting him
>I've been railing on this HoS for being a goddamn powermongering globalist so I join the captain in expressing my second amendment on his critted body
>send a message to centcomm about the globalist threat and they send a carp-drone ala obama
>ai calls the shuttle and the captain dies trying to rape scruffy in a dorms room
>Quietly go to the AI satalite, walk in and down it with ion rifles I brought
>Fly off into the sunset to fight globalists all across the universe while the only survivor of this ordeal is the questionably gay but not questionably insane Hobo

mfw no other players

I'll play tomorrow.

HoS that round...i forgot to take the captain's ID card so he was just able to open the cell door.

I liked the round where the kid filled maint with spiders and kept harassing security while riding on a Corgi.

we're going to try to start dorf a bit later than normal so ill hopefully be up for the start of it so I can prevent it from going off the rails in thirty minutes

Good to see the thread again

bumping for dorf

What time does dorf go up?

Prepare for Dorf.

So after you get got, do you just alt+tab and do something else for 15 minutes? Because holy fuck.
I really tried to like this, but the combination of shitty controls and nearly zero explanation outside of dense wikis makes it hard.

it has a weird learning curve.

but as soon you don't think about the controls anymore and you realize you can do EVERYTHING in the game the fun begins.

pretty much what said.
The game gets way easier once you get over the intital hump of figuring out the basic controls, then you can begin learning all the fun stuff like atmostism and krazy khemical kookery.

I see.
I tried it for like, 5 hours total at this point, and it's just immensely frustrating. I don't know how to identify shenaniganry, and so I'm a ripe target for it.
I spent a long while as Chemist, which is fun. Made this thing based on the interactions I found on a wiki, but I'm like 90% sure that it's invalid. Every server seems to have a completely different set of reactions that work.

Real talk, is it worth it to learn how to play this?

you just need to ask people if you need help.

Most are happy to teach you. As soon you get the internal Logic , its easy.

Well just from a quick glance I can tell you that that's entirely wrong on D20, that seems to be using Goonstation's chemistry code, which requires you to heat up and cool down ratios of reagents. D20 is far simpler where you just mix a simple (usually one to one) ratio of ingredients together to get a chemical.

I haven't played SS13 in a few years, what happnened to tgstation, and why is it now d20 station?

Also, how does it compare to vgstation?

Veeky Forumsstation is still around as "TGstation" after the server disassociated itself with Veeky Forums in general, this server, D20 station popped up to fill in the void. I can't compare the server to Veeky Forums but the server code is closest to very old branches of Veeky Forums called NTstation, which has since been tweaked and modified into a different branch essentially.

We dorf now.

Why did it disassociate itself with Veeky Forums? Isn't that where all its playerbase came from?

All the old Veeky Forums players got old and left for greener pastures as faggotry began to develop between the mods, what replaced them were furry yiffers and redditers. To my knowledge at least.

DORF IS UP

>You step off the shuttle, your boots clanging down on the metal of the space station.
Breathing Fee.
>Wha- You stare at outstretched palm.
Breathing fee.
>You blink several times in confusion, then look up at the man.
>Khaki Jumpsuit, ID badge with a name and picture... He looks legit. >Still...Breathing Fee?
Oh for fucks... I gotta explain this shit ever time. Look where are we?
>On a space station?
Yeah. Now. What are you breathing?
>Air?
More specific.
>Oxygen?
Ding Ding. Okay, stay with me here... How many trees do you think grow on space stations?
>none.
Right again. You see where this is going yet?
At last you realize those vents aren't just for controlling the internal temperature, but for making sure all the people on this station don't suffocate.
>So of course there's a port tax >to keep up the maintinence on those air >scrubbers. You pay the man. Then procede inward.
Welcome to station 13. Please place all bags on the conveyer, loose change and metal objects can go in these convenient polyethylene receptacles.
>You raise your arms out to the side as the security guard wands you.
Do you have anything to declare?
>No.
Okay then. Breathing Fee.
>???
>The securty woman takes one look at your face and explodes.
Those fuckers are at it AGAIN? JIM? JIM! THOSE FUCKS ARE IT AGAIN!
>A man, Jim you guess, makes a disgusted grunt as he straps on a taser.
>You realize you were just scammed.
Look, I'm sorry about all this. But.. um, I really do need that breathing fee.
>Fine, whatever. You pay the breathing fee for a second time.
>when can I get my money back?
>she blinks at you.
Oh, honey, I"m so sorry. Your money is going to be evidence at their trial, and we can't just give it back afterwords. Appeals and all that.
>FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

bump

we're all on dorf, like 20 of us

You can drag things around corners to save yourself from situations like these. Be sure you're pulling the object, then press either the tile left or right of you, not the diagnol tiles, but specifically the left or right of you.

Gentle Bump

>tfw go to save techpriest from bears but end up dying and being dragged back by irvan and eris as they fight through wave after wave of carp

How is Veeky Forums compared to goon shit?

I never liked these squashed chemistry diagrams I never found them easy to read

don't get too frustrated with it, failure is a part of the game that's more often than not a funny part of it. Once you learn more about the game you'll know how to easily identify shenanigans or potentially shenangian activity, like a chemist popping dark blue or purple beakers out of a chem machine and sticking them into a grenade.

The golden age of this game was when the first Veeky Forums server was set up and it was widely spread on /v/. No one knew what the fuck they were doing, they just knew they had to pretend they were their actual characters in game and it was the shit. There was no powergaming because no one other than the old BYOND wizards knew how to make [good] bombs so even ~le bombing made amazing rounds and thousands of greentexts after. Most of the known greentexts were made by new players in their first rounds.

That's what made Lifeweb so fucking great, it gave us back that feeling. Everyone in-game tried their best to learn the new mechanics and everything the game had to offer in a captivating way which ~le Fallout 13 or ~le FTLstation lack. Everyone helped each other in LOOC and it was fucking amazing. Nowadays it's not so good because most of the things have already been explored but I always come to play when they make huge updates like a new map.

Personally I think there's a gap of greentexts: on one side you have greentexts from completely new players that are hilarious, and as the player gets better the quality goes down until a certain point where the player knows the mechanics well enough so that they can make a gimmick and play it well. No new player could be Dr. Doomsday, who would set up Singularity Engines all around the station in case of an emergency which resulted in hilarity.

Pic related, almost every player there knows what they're doing.

>Mfw dragging two corpses back and having to juggle between medical care and shooting carp while wading through piles of carp corpses