What would a wargame based off of overwatch play like?

What would a wargame based off of overwatch play like?

see

It'd be a good Skirmish game with an interesting meta.

Prediction: this will be the most positive post about "OverMeme" unless we start discussing Orisas.

Snipers get severe aim penalties and are constantly shit on by everyone.

An inordinate amount of units dedicated to Healing on the battlefield for a wargame.

Half the models have to be constantly cleaned of hot glue before you can take them outside.

Don't want to get into that
Anyways, would the factions be shit like mexican gangs(unless they count as talon), talon,overwatch, russian special forces, yakuza, numbani, and old war time omnics?

passing through

No, it wouldn't.

Because Overwatch is all about promising factions and interesting story and then becoming a TF2 clone instead.

All style, no substance... so any KS game that relied on its art direction to get funded.

you represent each as a single few individuals who represent that faction, rather than fleshing them out as actual organizations, too.

that way even the dipshits can follow along, and it's easy to say "this group evil" and "this group good"

I still can't get over the bait and switch with "Hey, here's an interesting plot and story. That story ended, the protagonists are all washed-up has-beens that fight each other for no clear reason"

Its pretty fun though

not sure if 40k has a place here

I love me some washed-up has-beens, but you're absolutely right. All the cool shit happened years ago, and even Talon, the new big threat, just sorta seems like a weak joke by comparison. Am I really meant to believe the world needs Overwatch just to stop a shotgun ghost, asphyxiated French spider woman, and Mexican hacker waifu?

They're planning something nefarious, take me seriously dammit

I hope for some kind of expansion that dramatically moves the story forward, accompanied by new trailers and other marketing stuff.

Second omnic war, bunch of new maps. Quake 3 and other shooters always had some maps with environmental dangers, like presses and shit.
I want dramatic maps where those crazy volskaya mechs regularly pass through to hammer their fist onto the map, stomp around a bit, or where omnic bombers blast the landscape with lasers every now and then and shit.

Blizz always delivered the best expansion shit when a franchise was young. It's like they create something, taste blood, and turn to overdrive.

A man can dream...

I've written this pretty badly, I admit.

Set it during the Omnic Crisis.

Armies are Overwatch (great special characters, but they're the keystones of an army that's nothing without them), Russia (well-rounded faction), Omnics (lots of tiny spam units, a few giant Distraction Carnifex-type things, but little in between), Germany (decent mainline troops supplemented by Crusaders - a mostly defensive force), and maybe Talon (all about not playing fair?).

set it pre-overwatch and make the characters heroes to each of their own armies against the omnics

great except for the fact that we hardly know anything about the world outside the cast. what would they even equipped with?

Mexican hacker waifu is anti-Talon, she just joined to infiltrate them.

Heroclix.

By the time you get your army/team built and painted to a respectable level they'll release a new edition/errata nerfing/buffing the fuck out of everything. This will stick out even more as they bloat the system with models faster than they can balance them.

It would be excellent for hobbyists however as the number of alternate sculpts and convention exclusives are abundant.

There already is a second omnic crisis in the lore. I believe russia is currently fighting a re-awakened omnium.

If memory serves they just never stopped. Either way, that's why Zarya hates Zenyatta, and distrusts Genji.

But you can't find any of this lore in the game.

Probably like Malifaux, where you have small warbands that are often 50-70% named characters, and the action is extremely fast paced.

This is like complaining about the plot to the Incredibles.

In the game yes, but it were said twice at least, in one of pre-release video and sombra cinematic

Shit that matters is actually happening in The Incredibles though.

Overwatch is like, the first 10 minutes of the movie.

The Russia stuff is mentioned in Zarya's backstory and voice lines, and is hinted at in the Volskaya map.

It also comes up in the animated shorts and, let's be honest, everyone that plays the game has watched those.

More like the first twenty minutes, the game Overwatch's plot is about the organization's return.

But yeah, you're right. It's like this because Blizzard intends for the story to be a long-running process that continues for some time, through updates, animations, comics, etc.

Well they've opened up the whole 'who really runs the world' plotline with sombra too, so I suspect their end-goal is to get all the overwatch game characters to unite against some super big bad further down the line.

First post, best post.

I can't wait for the story to pick up just so I can see how Blizz fucks up.

>Illid... I mean Reaper did nothing wrong!

I'd use 7TV for the ruleset. Works well for heroes and special abilities.

But the plot is still on-going.

So potentially we're complaining about the plot of the incredibles during the first 20 minutes of the incredibles

>wargame based off of overwatch

Start as a game with interesting background and characters.

End up as a 40K clone with pandering to transgender bipolar transistor snowflakes with "hey, that character is gay!" instead of interesting stories.

is why is correct

This.

Panderwatch is literal tumblr tier garbage

But watching Civil War two years before is released on the comics was pretty good

>implying that Blizzard will put (((they))) as the final enemy

Man Overwatch is such wasted potential from a plot perspective. But not because it teases something cool and doen't show any of it, but because they clearly, clearly just don't give a shit about anything other than player experience. The aesthetics are all pleasing, which makes the game appealing and pleasant to play, but the aesthetics are meaningless with no thematic unity with anything else.

>Post-golden age setting going to shit so we need to get the gang back together! but everything feels like a utopia future?

>Widowmaker is such a cold-blooded killer she is literally blue! But she loves to snark and morns the husband she personally murdered in cold blood?

>Hanzo killed his brother for leaving the family but regretted it so Hanzo left his family then found out his brother was alive and tried to kill him again.

>McCree is a literal fucking cowboy! But there is no context to support this, he's an ex gangster, ex special forces operative?

Nothing has context, its just nice designs and concepts floating in a vacuum and they cant try to write a plot because then they would have to actual fill that vacuum up and it would become obvious what ugly misshapen space there is between the points of light we see.

What overwatch needs is story modes. Character driven single player and scenario based team efforts.

Well the game is noncanonical to the story because multiplayer almost inevitably ruins any chance for a story and Overwatch wasnt meant to be a game with a campaign.

There IS a story, and it actually progresses through their comics and youtube movies, but otherwise things would get. sortof starcrafty

>one gay character in a cast of twenty-four

This is what passes for pandering these days?

>blizzard wargame
>at the end of the game, you simply roll a dice to see who wins
>"We think it's more balanced and fun this way"

What things are pandering in it? I'm not sure 'A heap of countries are involved' is really pandering when it's dealing with an international team.

>Post-golden age setting going to shit so we need to get the gang back together! but everything feels like a utopia future?

I don't see how Dorado or Route 66 feel like utopian future settings. Overwatch Earth is basically cyberpunk, with shining cities and dismal slums catering to two vastly separate stratas of society.

>But she loves to snark and morns the husband she personally murdered in cold blood?

An ongoing mystery, like Reaper's condition. It's pretty clear that what was done to her head is more complex than some of the other characters believe.

>Hanzo killed his brother for leaving the family but regretted it so Hanzo left his family then found out his brother was alive and tried to kill him again.

Uh, false? Hanzo fought Genji without knowing who he was. Once he found out, he aimed an arrow at him, trying to rationalize his past actions, and lowered it when he realized what he was doing.

>McCree is a literal fucking cowboy! But there is no context to support this

The gang he ran with in his youth were just a bunch of cowboy themed assholes taking advantage of the omnic crisis chaos in middle America.

You don't understand.

If the entire cast aren't white, blonde Americans that understand the follies of the abominable left and seek to purge all other ethnicities, it's pandering.

Making a comic of which the entire premise is to go 'hey guys, this character is gay' is pandering though

Entire premise? It's premise was 'Showing people at christmas'. Almost every single character got shown with how they celebrate christmas with the main focus being on the trio of Tracer, her Girlfriend and Winston. If they wanted her to be gay/in a relationship it would be weird to have said partner not turn up. I mean, we saw Torb's Wife/Kids in the comic too.

Well I guess its debatable, everyone has their own view of what pandering is.
I would argue that the comic seemed to be centred almost entirely around that 'reveal', but I understand that you could see it another way.

>There IS a story, and it actually progresses through their comics and youtube movies
There have been like 6 five-minute shorts and 3 short comics, none of which were remotely related to each other. Hell one of them was a fucking Christmas special.

They're making content at a snail's pace, and even with the content they have made, the only major revelation or plot development was when they made Tracer a lesbian.

No. One simple reason- Overwatch has pretty hight ttk, and Infinity with it's bullshit crit system and armor that's more of window dressing than armor, does not.

There is also proof that russian industry mogul cooperates with the only still-agressive omnics, plus rise in terrorism and super-terrorism, of which team rocket is only one group.

Because the game is non-canon.

Blizzard has made wargames, in fact they made whats arguably the most famous video wargame out there.

It would be Relic Knights

>>at the end of the game, you simply roll a dice to see who wins
Sounds more like GW wargames

I always thought the most jarring issue was the juxtaposition of happy fun everything's good future and happy fun quipping heroes and the insane brutality of the actual violence in the game.

It's like that stupid Haze game for PS3, or the Simpsons, I feel like I took Ignorital and everything looks great but there's this monstrous presence right under the surface and when you look close you can see it poking through.

Mei freezes people to the ground and then executes them with icicles to the brain while they're helpless. That's a war crime.

Torbjorn will put a red-hot rivet through your head.

Roadhog just fucking sandblasts people with shrapnel.

If you replaced the characters with Gears of War looking dudes and gave it realistic blood and gore this game would be shockingly violent.

Kekked, Saved, and also, incidentally : CHECKED.

>forgetting about the very real Second Omnic Crisis happenning in Russia
>forgetting about the new God AI being built under Kings Row
>forgetting about the fact that sovreign nations now work for giant corporations and are starting to push back
forgetting about the grand conspiracy surrounding the Iris

Well I mean you could say the same thing about pokemon, to be honest. Lightning burns, spraying animals with acid, drowning them, clawing them to death...

A cartoony style does a lot to cover up violence.

>user, change pic name to "Tired of life"

>I don't see how Dorado or Route 66 feel like utopian future settings. Overwatch Earth is basically cyberpunk, with shining cities and dismal slums catering to two vastly separate stratas of society.

Route 66 isnt a dismal slum, its a isolate road stop far away from any concentrated civilization. And it still has a comfy diner, right next to a old gang hideout. Dorado is a nice place, everything about it looks great, and there are parade decorations everywhere. The only reason we have to believe its a bad neighborhood is the soldier short, which really is just another example of how plot has no interaction with the themes of the game.

>An ongoing mystery, like Reaper's condition. It's pretty clear that what was done to her head is more complex than some of the other characters believe.
Who believes that she has some black/white brainwashing? The only character I can recal even comenting on her past is Ana who says Gerard was a fool to trust her, which implies she thinks Widow was acting entirely of her own will.

>Uh, false? Hanzo fought Genji without knowing who he was. Once he found out, he aimed an arrow at him, trying to rationalize his past actions, and lowered it when he realized what he was doing.
Its true he didnt shoot his brother, who just spared his life instead of taking revenge, in the back, but his first instinct was still to try which is rather odd. Also, every interaction between him and genji in the game is unrequited hostility or disdain. Honestly, I could still accept it as making sense though, it would just mean Hanzo is a dumbass.

>The gang he ran with in his youth were just a bunch of cowboy themed assholes taking advantage of the omnic crisis chaos in middle America.
Oh. Didnt know that.

>the real villain was gamergate all along

But that doesn't even mean anything for the plot, even the new characters being added didn't really do anything to further anything. What is Overwatch doing, why are they fighting clones of themselves. What will happen if they win, how are they going to change the world around them. These questions answered [s]never[/s]

And let's not forget that at no point do the animals object to being ordered to fight each other to unconsiousness, will attack small children because they happened to be there, and some among them are powerful enough to singlehandedly destroy cities.

If you have one of those working for you, the tiny caterpillar will STILL attack. Pokemon, as creatures, are INCREDIBLY aggressive, and there's no sense that they have anything but fun in the dogfighting circuts they're run through by children.

Right, I should get back on topic.

Infinity doesn't share much with Overwatch aside from it's aesthetics and lovingly designed fat asses