The crown prince very strongly insists on marrying a maid

>the crown prince very strongly insists on marrying a maid

How would you best resolve this situation in a game as a player?

How would you best run this scenario in a game as a GM?

Make a case for making her the head concubine, instead.

>my off-topic thread has been deleted
>make the same thread, but a bit more traditional games related this time
Well, let's see how this turns out.

He can have her as a courtisane, but has to marry for his kingdom.

If we're going by IRL, make him abdicate and have the next in line take over instead.

A specific maid, or can it be any maid?

I have a crown maid headdress that can be a hand-me-down from the queen if he wants it on his noble wife.

>the crown prince very strongly insists on XYZ
You do XYZ
What's the problem here?

>Be king
>Marry some slut who has already been married before
It's a surprise the English monarchy survived this shit.

You know he can just take the maid as his mistress, right? It's a royal court, even the mistresses have mistresses.

>or can it be any maid?
In that case, why not look for a princess who enjoys cosplay?

In the setting I'm currently playing in, the castle's maids are trained Soulknives outfitted with glamoured mithril full plate armor. The prince would probably be a hell of a lot safer marrying a maid than the neighboring kingdom's princess.

Who am I playing? What do I want out of this situation? That changes everything.

Also, are we sure he means a serving-maid and not just a virgin?

>Not. Bloody. Happening.

He's in love with her though.

That's from a very recent time, when the British monarchy was toothless and couldn't even exercise the only authority it still nominally had, the authority over the Church of England. The Church of England was created in the first place because a king wanted a divorce, but in the intervening centuries it was taken over by stuffy moral busybodies who presumed to tell their own king where he could and could not insert his royal cock.

So I guess the take-away is that there are lots of different kinds of monarchies and lots of different cultural norms surrounding marriage, so the situation OP put forth is so vague as to be meaningless.

Who are you to talk? You're a hypocrite who broke your no-good son out of Azkaban.

Royal Marriages are 95% political and rarely are done for love, hence a good reason why the prince should be made aware that marrying a maid will have some dire consequences for him, his family, his people and the country.

Sure, it's understandable that the prince is in love with a girl, but duty to the people and the country comes first. Make the maid his concubine instead (probably the princess also have a lover), and then observe her and her bastard child as well as everyone from this bloodline. In case of sudden wipe-out of the royal family the bastard can be taken in as the new king if there are no other successors.

Heroic Fantasy:
Find a way to make the maid into a suitable bride, such as helping her earn a noble title for slaying a dragon.

Serious Game:
Slap the Prince in the face and tell that little shit he will marry who we tell him, or else his younger brother will suddenly be an only child.

Intrigue Game:
Convince the Prince that the only way he can have his happy life with the maid is if he abdicated the throne in favor of me, his trusted vizier...

>Find a way to make the maid into a suitable bride, such as helping her earn a noble title for slaying a dragon.

Have you ever seen a maid who WASN'T also a ninja?

I begin the quest of course. Our goal is to make a queen out of this maid.

I may begin with a training montage and breaking into song

You're the saddest lass ever met -
But you can bet before we're through -
Misses, I'll make a queen out of you

>not marrying the person you love

Gently explain to him how all monarchs have mistresses, and he to can suck it up and have a politically important, and loveless, marriage for the good of the kingdom.

>Marrying the person you love as a noble
Sure, marry away. But first abandon your wealth, relinquish your title and your rights to the throne. If you want to live like a peasant, you can, but you're no longer my son.

>letting that get in the way
You don't really love her then, you pussy.

>I can abandon it all for my love!
Five days later.
>Not having any servants to do things for me sucks.
>I've never worked in a field in my life. My hands hurt.
>I can't eat this, where are my pickled boars?
>You're supposed to shit in THAT?

Not everybody's a sissy noble like you.

I would get him to marry the other maid.

If you're abandoning your duty to your country and your family because of your fee-fees, you're a sissy noble by definition, and your father failed at raising you properly.

>he'll say anything to justify not having the balls to marry his one true love

>Marry the person you love
>50% divorce rates

>Marry the person your parents selected for you
>Divorce rates are significantly lower and reported happiness significantly higher

Really activates your almonds.

>muh love

I'm only saying it because it's an anonymous board, but my mother was always right about my girlfriends. Maybe I should actually follow her advice and get hooked up with that nice girl she knows.

Check to see if the prince is under any charm spells
If not let him do whatever

What the fuck does marriage have to do with love in this era? It's politics.

The idea of actually marrying someone you give a damn about aside from breeding with and acquiring stuff is relatively recent.

And marriage equates to true love? An illusion of modern times. A fantasy setting medieval in any degree will show marriage being all about property and title. A prince marrying royalty and liking a consort better wouldn't even register as hypocritical.

>The idea of actually marrying someone you give a damn about aside from breeding with and acquiring stuff is relatively recent.
No it's not.

It's almost like the cultures in which arranged marriages exist are vastly different from the "Hitch 'em and ditch 'em" attitude of the western world

>the crown prince very strongly insists on dressing like a maid

>The crown prince "dies"
>His younger brother becomes the new crown prince
>He also suddenly has a maid who looks enough like him to be his sister and who's incredibly loyal and who may or may not be running a spy ring in the capital to take out foreign assassins

Love has always been a marriage thing, it's just that nobles oftentimes didn't marry out of love. A lot of historical shit was stirred because someone couldn't marry the woman they actually liked.

Marriage has always been a love thing* is what I meant to say.

Well, mister triple dubs, i have heard that in medeival times marriage was almost never done for love, but often people would fall in love after being married.

let him, we can marry for love can we not

I can't really think of any reason I should care. Unless I have a deep personal relationship with one of these characters or the GM makes the (dis) advantages of one or more outcomes clear. Either way though this has a pretty major risk of turning into a game mostly just about the NPCs, something I as a player hate.

I make my disinterest clear and go about looking for something actually worth my and the party's time. If the other players are totally on board with this nonsense, then I go along with it and let them handle most of it while I focus on any actually interesting plot points which show up.

If no one cares but the GM is still forcing this then I just directly ask him why in a game ostensibly about heroism and adventure he's bogging everything down with this waifu garbage.

A) Intimidate/persuade/mind control the Prince to marry for his kingdom and have the maid as a mistress. The one he marries could even be in on it.
B) Let him marry who he wants and help him fight off dissenters. Clearly illustrate why the maid is worthy of marrying him and/or make a public example of punishing a dissenter.

>The crown prince very strongly insists on marrying a maid
>It's fine because she'll pass on a good class and incredibly high Resistance growth

Checkmate, BBEG

It's almost as though cultures with arranged marriage also heavily stigmatize divorce and pressure women into pretending to be happier than they really are.

Why the fuck does it matter?

The number of monarchies throughout all of history that didn't give a shit about who the crowned children could marry or it was a mere faux pas rather then a taboo or even legal requirment far, far exceeds those that did.

Let him marry whichever maid will fill him with happiness.
Once he's crowned king she'll become the queen, or the queen consort, or the princess consort, or even just the wife of the king.
She's doing pretty sweet for a maid and you dodge all the stupid soap-opera bullshit and especially avoid all the murder-hobo players hamfistedly trying to write the script.

Does he love the maid, or is it just his fetish? Who am I to stand in the way of true love?

Get him to renounce the throne and make his younger brother the heir. We'll see if his love for sexy maids is true then.

A maid for a crown prince would most likely be of noble heritage anyway. Otherwise, treat it like you were offering a knight the hand of the princess in marriage and imprison the crown prince while directing the maid to pass a trial of her maid-en virtue to win his hand.

If your father dropped you like a bad egg because you made doe eyes at the scullery maid, then he stands to lose any faith the nobles had in him and with it, any potential support.

Also, the now destitute prince is STILL part of the royal family along with everything that entitles.
He still has a claim to the throne, any children he fathers have a right to the throne and being cut-off from the safety of the kingdom means he could be kidnapped and exploited easily by outside powers.

A king that refuses to pay ransom on his son looks like a weak king and he might as well scream to the world that the kingdom is bankrupt.

Do you know how many centuries old Romeo and Juliet is?

Seriously?

You mean the story where they both die because of it?

Which is bullshit.
Most marriages throughout history have been specifically because of love.
You only hear about exceptions to the rule because they were just that. EXCEPTIONS.

I don't follow.

You marry the person you love, dummy. Haven't your parents ever told you this?

To be fair, it took a LOT of bullshit to happen for them to die. They were pretty much the opposite of plot armored protagonists.

Combat maids and butlers was such a retarded addition to Fire Emblem, but damn if the uniforms weren't cute.

So you missed the part where two people who fell in love and planned to marry because of it?

I guess you could have missed it, not like it was integral to the story or anything.

Same thing that Tywin did with Tyrion and Tasha.

Did they marry? No, they died.

Cuck Tyrion, get shot?

Well, not shot right away but yeah I guess.

In monarchal politics, it was not uncommon for the king to make his true love his concubine, and marry someone he barely knew for an alliance of convenience. I think it's even the last line of Dune.

>“Think on it, Chani: the princess will have the name, yet she'll live as less than a concubine - never to know a moment of tenderness from the man to whom she's bound. While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine - history will call us wives.”

>Marrying your cousin and giving your children gimped inbred stat growths, terrible reclass options and whatever shitty skill your invariably level 1 cousin-wife has in her last slot

The King is in league with the Evil Dragon

If your cousin is hot, smash that thot.

>How would you best resolve this situation in a game as a player?

With a barbecue of course.

Find a lesbian noblewomen who needs a husband and say that both can do their own thing with their own actual loves provided they shit out some legitimate children.

Plot twist: they're in love with the same maid.

I suppose they'll both be happy, then.

Getting acid thrown at your face is a good way to disincentivize breaking up.

Sure, why not? Maids are generally more powerful than normal humans, so with good stats the baby should be more powerful than usual!

Coerce/Bribe/Threaten/Offer favours to a noble family to adopt the maid in question, thus making her noble.

>How would you best resolve this situation in a game as a player?

Kill her, if GM is being a cock block seduce her and make her confess her love for you in the middle of the palace.

>How would you best run this scenario in a game as a GM?

Stop players from attempting to kill her.

>Missing the point this hard

But think of the prestige of the crown, or the fact that she may be a foreign spy.

Are you talking ill of the crown prince's dick by suggesting that it can't turn the loyalties of ONE female spy?

>Most marriages throughout history have been specifically because of love.

No they were not they were meant to pump out babys because someone had to help around the farm since 90% of the world population for 90% of the history of civilization were farmers.

Not to mention the physical attraction you get by looking at someone pretty is not the same kind of love that makes you spend 60 years of your life with that person.

Yes. Especially since he is a virgin.

Depending on the price and stakes being played there's a few options.

>crown prince abdicates in favour of one of his uncles or brothers

>maid gets boosted up to nobility by backers

>party walks away from this shitty love story, uses them and starts a mercantile funded revolution to install an oligarchy under the cover of democracy

To the chopping block with him.

>party walks away from this shitty love story, uses them and starts a mercantile funded revolution to install an oligarchy under the cover of democracy
Revolution is never the answer, user.

Sorry, you are now confusing marriage with sex.

Please stop confusing the two, your Catholic is showing.

Thank god i don't play with magical realm autists so I don't have to deal with this kawaii uguu~ ^_^ style retardation

Also fuck anime and anyone who watches it

No I am not. And for most of history sex out of wedlock was seen as a bad thing.

And marriage for most of history has been basically guaranteed sex, because each family needed to pop out like 10 kids.

You seem riled up friend. I bet watching a cute anime would calm you down.

that kind of shit happend since middle ages where a thing, idiot

user seriously.
In worlds with magic as standard power there's no reason not to have mage-families and councils ruling the land.
In fact it provides a chance for true meritocracy to prosper.

True, and an often forgotten fact most of the maids and servants of Royalty and the higher tiers of the Peerage were the children of minor nobles and knights.

>maid gets boosted up to nobility by backers

Or maid's father/sibling is already a Baron or Viscount, so is promoted to Count or Marquis.

Must have missed the part about medieval princes marrying anime maids in history

Stupid

Depends on the nation, culture and political mechanism.

Something like an Elective, or Hereditary Elective Monarchy would have no need for such a thing since anyone could be viable, and someone doing something dumb like that removes the chaff from the wheat.

It was a simpler time.

I congratulate him on his taste.

>Make prince convert to Islam or fantasy equivalent
>Marry him off to nobility for his first wife
>Let him marry the maid for his second wife
>Still have slots for two more wives

This what King Henry VIII tried to do. He told the Caliphate he'd convert the entire country to Islam if they'd protect his ass from the Pope. Caliph said no because they had enough problems with out inviting (another) holy war.

How can noble women even compete?

>Cute
>Devoted
>Good with knives
>Ice magic
>A little clumsy so you can help her and make her flustered

They can't compete.

I preferred pic related.

In truth Felicia is just my 2nd favorite fates girl. My first is pic related.

Also a solid choice.

Murderwives are the best wives, be they milfy or not.