What does Veeky Forums think of Numenera? I've been running it for a few months now...

What does Veeky Forums think of Numenera? I've been running it for a few months now, and I'm loving the setting and system. Has anyone else played/ran it?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/tg/1488382850800.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Good ideas, poor execution, bizarre design decisions.

What do you mean by poor execution? I haven't run across anything particularly broken or hard to deal with, will I run into that at higher tiers?

>What does Veeky Forums think of Numenera?
We generally don't like it.

You might. Never personally gotten that far. It mainly refers to the system itself not knowing what it wants to be. The designers wanted it to be some kind of story focused type of game, but they didn't actually know how to write those sort of rules, so they just fell back on what they knew for the most part. Coupled with some weird mechanics and some generally uninspired parts, the game as a whole really suffers.

>but they didn't actually know how to write those sort of rules
Did they at least learn something since the massive fuckup that was Monte Cook's WoD?

Dunno, never read that one. How big of a fiasco was it?

Imagine someone who doesn't seem to understand the slightest bit about WoD or the storyteller system turning it into a d20 system mastery game, in the heyday of 3.5

I saw the three 'Into the-' books in a shop last week. They looked FANTASTIC, but £30 a pop...

I clicked on this thread ready to give a detailed explanation of what I thought of the system as a whole, but I see everyone else has done that. So instead, I'll tell you about the one game I played:

>friend has been talking about Numenera for weeks, he's super excited to DM a game
>obvious Monte Cook fanboy
>game starts, players are me, That Guy, and That Couple
>I play the game normally, trying to follow the plot, help NPCs who need help, and generally follow what my character would do.
>That Guy takes every opportunity to do LOLRANDOM crap because he thinks its funny
>That Couple:her starts out trying to play normally, ends up doing LOLRANDOM crap with That Guy
>That Guy:him does whatever he thinks she would want him to do. His character follows hers around like a sad puppy

After 3 sessions of that, I noped the fuck out.

>Nu-Men-Era

You mean besides the fact that it was written by the guy who got fired from wizards of the coast's D&D team for using the company expense account to fly to japan to participate in an "art" show where the "artist" cooked and served slices of his own severed penis, then after being freed from the shackles of corporate design work ran straight out and wrote an RPG about forced feminization, male pregnancy, autogynephilia, "letting go" of sexual identities and etc?

It's a deviantart-tier cock removal fetish game. I'm sure some of the /d/ posters here love it.

>mfw it's true

The post above me is a bait. please don't answer.

Just embrace the fact that you like games about a new era of men who are actually castrated and or really females and then go post about it on /d/ where you belong you sick fucker.

To clear what that guy is talking about, there are parts in the setting lore which basically read "ninth world's sex is some weird shit, yo". For SOME reason this tends to trigger insecure /pol/sters.

>Maybe if I do some damage control my fantasy of other people playing my forced-feminization fetish game will come true and we can all be good little geldings together

Dude you are a fucking sick piece of shit, I'm sorry but you need to get the fuck out and go back to /d/

It's triggered /v/ as well. The Goobergate dudes are up to their usual evidence-free shenanigans.

>/pol/
>gamergate

Oh holy shit we've got a live one on our hands boys. How long until he starts shrieking "NAZI PISSBABY"

>he
DID YOU JUST ASSUME HIS GENDER SHITLORD YOU ARE FUCKING A WHITE MALE

Yeah no thanks, wtf lol

We got ourselves a winner boys.
Also you're a white male.

>This shit
OP, Try posting again another time, there are people that like Numenera (and the Strange), but you clearly aren't getting a decent thread today.

Wow nice digits dude, holy fuck

btw YOU'RE A WHITE MALE

I need to keep my hair tbqhwy

The whole system sucks, and the setting can and is getting stale pretty fast. Just started playing pc game in the world (torment) and as a person really far on the visual spectrum of things if this can't not make me intrigued no amount of weirdy wierd will do on the tabletop.

Its just... you know. Meh.

also i just got warned for saying N word on the another thread
the fuck from when mods care?
never been warned for that before

>maybe if I reply to myself pretending to be someone else people will be tricked into playing my fetish game

The books in general are really nice in terms of the art and quality, I've picked up Core, Ninth World Bestiary and the Technology Compendium, all of them have pretty high quality in terms of art. Definitely very expensive, probably worth it if you like the setting and the game.

No they aren't, no you didn't and nobody else has either. Your game is terrible and you are a failure.

The books sitting in my bookcase must be very elaborate hallucinations then, thanks for letting me know kind user.

Well you probably get a free copy at every penis cannibal con you cosplay as monte cook at. It's not like anyone is buying them so they're giving them away as prizes for best japcock sashimi

I feel like you're projecting slightly user. It's okay, you can tell us who hurt you.

Sounds like a pretty shit game user, unlucky. It does seem to be a problem with the players rather than the game though, although I suppose Numenera might attract that type more than usual.

>hey guys this game is full of disgusting bullshit and only john wayne gacy would play it
>HURRRRRRRRRR YOU'RE PROJECTING

I'd ask if you even know what projecting means but then I remembered that you're a victim of cultural marxism so that answer is no, or your entire ideology would collapse faster than building 7

Mediocre on all fronts.

>jet fuel can't melt steel beams

Please confirm sources on penis cannibal.

>POST SOURCES SO I CAN DMCA THEM TOO

fuck you monte

No matter how many sites you threaten to sue it's not going away Mr. Cook-and eat penises

So green txt them

Wizards > Fighters, by the man who happily espoused Ivory Tower gameplay, now made into a full setting

Nu-men-era

>be monte cook
>get fired from D&D for using company funds to eat a slice of human penis
>make a game about forcing men to change their gender and/or impregnating them
>?????
>bankruptcy

try harder

>ask for greentext
>get greentext
>try harder
I don't understand what exactly you are trying to accomplish (besides literally eating human penis)

I enjoyed Numenera the one time I played it and the penis cannibalism thing is obviously a lie.

But I kind of hope it takes off as a meme just because I find it hilarious

I don't like it

The concept is great on paper but the design of the game and setting do nothing to reinforce it. You've got your standard three fantasy character classes (Fighter, Rogue, Mage) distinguished only by the designer giving them slightly unusual names. Then the wizard spell list is supposed to be the leftovers of ancient technology and magic but again it's just your bog standard D&D shit. Then you have the baffling design decision to only let the characters carry a limited amount of arcanotech. The most distinct and interesting part of the setting, and it's deliberately gimped. The system itself is just 3.5 with some narrative mechanics bolted on, it combines the worst aspects of both D20 and freeform games.

There are a host of other, better options out there for running the same genre. There's GURPS New Sun for the Gene Wolfe Fans and GUMSHOE Dying Earth if you prefer Vance. Basically any D&D edition can be used to play in this type of setting (the early editions had content designed for it) and there are several OSR games and modules out now that are specifically made to evoke it.

trying to get pics of someone eating penis to jerk it to

its the future, make your evidence into a picture and spread that shit around

I like the concept and the base idea of the system is cool, using your stats as resources, but I wish there was more meat to it.

>cock cannibal game
>with more meat to it

There isn't anything to sink our teeth into yet.

How much transhumanism is in this setting, because all the Numenara companions just look like regular people.

Not a lot, it's more Dying Earth/Book of the New Sun than Eclipse Phase. It's a far distant future, after many cataclysms and apocalypses have come and gone, and the world is littered with strange and inexplicable stuff.

There's a decent amount, a lot of the artifacts and cyphers are implants and such, and many of the fluff reasons for character powers are implanted technology etc. Nothing as extreme as Eclipse Phase or Shadowrun, but there are a lot of enhanced people wandering about.

kek

Game and System itself has a huge emphasis on Dendra O'Hur, a cannibal cult eating bodies.
They really handled like 'did nuffing wrong' types.

I ignored this shit in tabletop because it sounds to fucking cliche and boring as fuck concept, but in PC game exposure is so frequent it borderlines with magical realm intrusion.

enis cannibalism thing is obviously a lie

source pls

>denial
I would advise you that wanting something to be true doesn't make it true but you're an advocate of transgenderism, so I feel like it might be a wasted effort.

You seem to want the penis cannibal thing to be true very badly.

>I'm not in denial you are!!!
That's where you're wrong, kiddo

nice source given
nice strawman
nice ad hominem

also learn some basic 'reading comprehension'
because you are clearly fucking retarded

>tranny is mad and everyone is laughing at him
People of color me surprised

you fucking retarded or something, you still can't fucking decipher my post just because i didn't use greentext?

Im gonna throw you a bone there because i have a kid so i have soft spot for silly idiots...

>enis cannibalism thing is obviously a lie

source pls

easiest way to solve that is to post proof

>assblasted transtrender still sperging the fuck out

kek

don't give him advices, i like to see how much butt blast he can handle
he's already in the name-calling phase so he will crack soon.
also the particulars with calling us a tranny might hint at hidden trauma

you like to take it up the ass

show us on the cock niblin' Moonte Cook doll where your father touched you

also post proofs

You can put 10000 hours into mspaint. Long term it'll make for better trolling than you're up to now. This is just fishing for (you)s. Shit's weak.

>samefagging

another magical fantasy of yours with no proof
what is happening to you my man
come one man
you can't go more retard than this

you just went full retard, never go full retard!

im starting to feel pity for you, like i said i have i kid so ill give you a brake if you really like that dick nibbling fag Cook so much, that's fine. Its ok. It will be alright.

What do you think of the other types that were added in one of the supplements? Glints and Seekers, I think they're called.

I've never played them so I can't offer commentary. I have to imagine they wouldn't fix my problems with the system, in the same way adding books to 3.5 didn't fix it, but on the other hand anything's possible.

That seems pretty fair. Something I've run into though is that my players are really reluctant to actually use cyphers, which as noted is one of the most important parts of the system. I think the cypher limit is trying to encourage the use of cyphers, since they can only have so many.

Who's this "we," white man?

Veeky Forums isn't a collective mind. Some of us like it, some of us don't. Some of us like the potential, and play it with other systems because the setting and lore is a neat idea with an odd system.

this lack of reading comprehension is why the white man is dominant.

I'd love to get into it IF I KNEW WHERE TO FIND THE PDFS!

I am genuinely confused as to why this thread is so weirdly political. What is even going on?

i.4cdn.org/tg/1488382850800.pdf
Go forth user, and find what you seek.

Ctrl+F "Numenera"

Somebody give me a quick rundown on the tech on Numenara. Can I use guns?

Nice. Well, it's pretty threadbare. None of the 'Into the X' books, for start, but thanks anyways.

Lemme give you the quick rundown:

-Torment: Tides of Numenera drops on Steam

-Game is billed as a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment.

-Like Numenera itself, it seems to struggle with an incredible setting chained to so-so/awful mechanics.

-Setting includes weird far-future shit like a tribe of tech-barbarians temporarily modifying their men to be able to bear children when their womenfolk die to plague, and posthuman races who change their physical gender like you and I change outfits.

-/v/idiots decide this means the game is part of the SJW menace.

-/pol/fags jump on and start meming about how (((they))) are behind Numenera (or, as they call it, Nu-Men-Era) and claim it's all about transgenderism and assorted other 'degeneracy'.

-They start trying to push the meme that Monte Cook was one of the five people who ate batshit shock artist Mao Sugimiya's severed penis (the man essentially turned himself into a human Ken doll for baffling reasons).

-Ergo, this shit.

The point of the setting is that it's so far advanced that by and large, most characters will have no idea what the tech they're using is actually supposed to do. Instead, they tend to jury rig things into usable objects, like a battery into a grenade or something similar. The tech is just sort of everywhere, so everyone is using barely understood technology. You can use guns in the sense that you might find something that works the same as a gun, but might actually be something completely different like a stapler or some other shit like that.

That actually makes a lot of sense, I guess I picked a pretty bad time to make this thread. Ah well, who cares. Thanks for the explanation.

>N word
Just say nigger, fuck warnings

Cook is one of the biggest hacks in tabletop. I will concede that Dark Matter was good, before he butchered it with d20.

I won't touch anything the man works on with a ten foot pole now.

The elevator pitch of Numenera just makes me want a new Gamma World game.
At least there's Gamma Five.

What's Gamma World? I've never heard of it.

Gamma World post-apocalyptic game usually based on the D&D ruleset with some modifications. It's both exceedingly silly and exceedingly lethal; half the fun of character creation is seeing what kind of mutant freak you can roll up before it gets vaporized by a mutant rabbit's plasma gun.

>That cover
So it's RIFTS but in the Jurassic era? Because holy shit that cover sets up some bizarre ideas. Sounds pretty fun, although personally I kinda prefer Numenera and it's somewhat more mysterious tech.

Less Jurassic, but there is a lot of reality bending going on, coupled with unearthing ancient tech and surviving the wastes.

I have this problem too. In most games with disposable 1 shot items the players tend to hang on to as many as possible. Short of me telling them 'its okay, there will be more, you should use them' they just don't. Anyone come up with ways to encourage cypher use?

Well, the cypher limit seems to be the designers solution, and it seems to be working okay in my case, although they tend to throw away cyphers rather than use them. I think just throwing cyphers at them is probably not a great idea, but the game seems to work fine for me even without them using cyphers all the time.

Have Gaston attempt to rape them until they use a cypher. Works for everything.

You can have it tier one. I speak as someone who love Numenera and the Cypher system. It is my favorite game to run, because it's so easy. However, Monte assumed he made a system that couldn't be broken, and didn't try that hard to balance it. Armor staking and Skill stacking can get ridiculous. I ran a game with a glaive who could hit lvl 10 strength tasks with little effort, and another glaive who ignored damage from lvl 5 and lower.

Pic related.

Jesus fucking christ

Yeah, I definitely don't think the game was built around balanced combat. I've had a lot more success running environmental encounters rather than pure combat, luckily the setting is pretty well set up to just not need that much combat. I think it's more interesting if some strange mechanism is blocking a path as opposed to 12 mindless robots or some shit like that.

So, what does Veeky Forums think of Into the Outside?

It's not that Monte thought the game couldn't be broken, it's that he didn't care. He explicitly states that in the part about party balance.

That said, it's also my favorite system, and it's very easy to adjust things to rebalance for your group.

I don't think Numenera is really at the level of the video game. But then, this will differ from GM to GM.

The video game hammers at it pretty hard. They took a relatively normal setup, and then hammered in a bunch of references to other parts of the setting, to the point where a lot of times the 'weird' just isn't weird anymore.

Keep throwing more cyphers at them to stress how dumb they are for not unloading them,

Past that, just make situations that are more difficult to resolve. Make combats that are more likely to kill them. My players are constantly burning cyphers.

Make the game more dangerous. They'll either need to use utility cyphers to get past problems, or violent cyphers to get through them.

>Nu-Men-Era

Ptolus was a fun setting.

It looks really interesting, and I've heard it has some really nice stuff in there, but if I was getting one of the Into The X books I'd probably get into the Night, I just prefer space as a setting to weird interdimensional hijinks.

I guess that's a fair way to do the game design, most parties should be able to self balance to a degree. It does seem pretty easy to break in terms of combat, but I think that's something a smart Gm can work around because of the setting.

This seems like a pretty interesting idea, my players haven't really run across any particularly difficult combats yet, I might try shoving something a little tougher in front of them, see if that gets some cypher use.