Through magic, a knight, a samurai and viking faction are teleported into a fantasy setting

Through magic, a knight, a samurai and viking faction are teleported into a fantasy setting.

One hundred years later.

How would the factions influence each other? (Warfare, culture, etc.) And would all factions use plate-armour?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R2GcZWl1XGA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, everyone would use the best, most protective armor. Only reasons that samurai used wooden and paper armor is because they had not very much shit iron. With good steel they'd probably lean more knightly.

3 factions clad in a hybrid armor fight with bastard weapons designed to be effective against the foes armor

>How would the factions influence each other?

Everyone would dress like knights.

Late medieval plate harnesses are the final word in battlefield armour until guns are applied.

>would all factions use plate-armour

Only if they knew how to make it. In fact as far as knights go, plate armour was invented only right at the end of their battlefield heyday. Most knights in history wore mail.

Also, if the samurai faction have arquebuses and the means to keep making gunpowder, you might find the use of armour declining.

>How would the factions influence each other? (Warfare, culture, etc.)

Depends on so many variables that it's impossible to give a definite answer. Successful tactics would spread. Powerful factions would spread their culture though conquest. Powerful factions would also usually get a lot of prestige and their culture would be spread outside their lands through imitation.

....they didn't use paper armor. Or even wooden armor by the 14th century for that matter. They held onto that stuff longer but the Mongols changed their minds pretty goddamn fast.
They just painted and designed their armor to LOOK like lacquered wood because they found the visuals of wood aesthetically far more pleasing then steel.

Japanese culture in general is heavily into aesthetics for a variety of reasons.

thats assuming the resources for it are there, it would probobally be half plate/ mail used

Why don't samurai use shields? I never understood that. Having a shield is great. Especially if people are trying to stab/slash/cut/pierce/slam you. And I figure a lot of samurai would find themselves in situations where they would be in danger of having something like that done to them. But they still don't seem very big on that whole shield thing. I don't get it.

Hopefully the second time around it won't be a narrative letdown that spends most of the game hyping a grudge match between the Warden and Apollyon, before lolnoping and having her steamrolled by GRORIOUS NIPPON STEER, FORDED ONE THOUSAND TIMES.

Then they continue fighting nonstop for seven years even though all of the faction leaders know what went down and have every reason to call it off due to Apollyon being dead.

After transitioning from mounted archers to foot soldiers, they didn't use shields because they normally used a two-handed polearm. The katana is usually wielded with both hands as well.

A suit of mail actually requires more iron to make than a plate harness.

Found the weeb.

Read my fingers: SHIT NIP IRON.

Samurai used steel their entire existence, the japanese were pretty good blacksmiths, they had to be because they had to import most of it.

in fact in the later period a lot of samurai armor was bullet proofed.

>if the samurai faction have arquebuses and the means to keep making gunpowder, you might find the use of armour declining

The same Japanese who learned to make arauebuses learnef to make european-like plate armor to protect themselves from the bullets. Plate armor was optimal enough against firearms of it's period.

Prefered to have both hands for weapons.

So it's just a cultural thing?

No, I don't particularly care for Japan.
I just clearly know more about it then you, without even trying very hard. Have you considered NOT getting your info from Veeky Forums perhaps?

Japanese iron was...okay, but very scarce in quantity. The issue was that they kinda had to stretch out what iron they had a lot and sometimes used lesser quality iron because they didn't have enough of the good stuff, but you can turn ANY iron into good steel if you make it well enough, and they did know how to turn shitty iron into "tamahagane", which I think literally means "jewel steel" but is meant to mean "valuable steel" here.
They DID have many poor-quality weapons, but that was largely for their expendible infantry during the civil wars when the armies they fielded got larger and larger and subsequently needed more and more equipment.
Europe often did the same thing; cheap equipment for people who can afford the cheap shit and good equipment for people who can afford the good shit. It's basic supply and demand laws really.

It's actually an outgrowth of their warfare methods; older swords (before they were even called "katana") were so heavily curved that you NEEDED two hands because of how awkward it was on foot (it was a cavalry weapon originally), and on foot you were generally armed with anti-cavalry polearms and spears to fight the traditionally mounted samurai.

Around the 13th and 14th centuries the invention of guns and the increase in reliance on infantry caused them to need to use swords that could more easily be used on foot but also were long enough to be useful on cavalry, and thus they developed the "uchigatana" pattern blades, which had two-handed grips for on foot but could be used mounted too.
After people largely stuck with this sword pattern in Japan "uchigatana" was shortened to just "katana", which eventually just became the ubiquitous word for "sword" in the language because for the last 200-odd years that was the only kind of sword design in Japan at all.

An example; this is a classical "tachi"-style sword, the kind used basically before anything the west associates with "samurai" really existed yet.
It's so heavily curved that it's nearly useless on foot.

That and they were sheltered as fuck so their methods of warfare stagnated.

Then later they started being less heavily curved over time, so it was easier to use on foot.

>They just painted and designed their armor to LOOK like lacquered wood because they found the visuals of wood aesthetically far more pleasing then steel.
Actually, it was because the lacquer you use for furniture was the cheapest one.

Finally they develop the uchigatana, which is more or less what we think of in a traditional Japanese sword.
This too.
After the civil wars period they had peace for the next 150-odd years, which is pretty damn impressive.
Problem is a 150 years of strict rules and near police-state levels of control of information and trade does not lend itself to modernizing your military methods or agricultural techniques or anything else.
The Shoguns and their elites were so afraid of loosing power that they locked down EVERYTHING to prevent it from happening, leading to severe cultural problems later on as the culture they were in changed but the rules they had to live by didn't.

Same reason the traditional colour of the British Army is red.

Red was the cheapest (but still bright enough for battlefield recognition) dye you could get during the Civil War.

source?

come on source smb T-T

Reincarnation no Kaben. It's a lot dumber and more ridiculous than that series of pictures convey. And I don't mean that in a positive sense.

>Due to it's killing power being too great, it was even forbidden to use it on the battlefield

Nice, thanks user.

>It's a lot dumber and more ridiculous than that series of pictures convey. And I don't mean that in a positive sense.
oh... tell me more pls

It's why REAL Wing Chun is forbidden in MMA, not to mention, MMA has too many rules that hamstring Wing Chun.

Weeaboos, westaboos, Norscaboos, we should all just agree that people are pretty clever and cool.

The characters up there are Musashi and Gaius Julius Caesar.

This is Hitler and Pol Pot.

MC is some guy in glasses who is the reincarnation of Ishukawa Goemon and can activate his superpowers by magically slitting his throat with a super special knife.

The most powerful warrior in the world is Xiang Yu, whose superpower is basically a mix between Pride from FMA and Lancelot from Fate/zero.

Also, John von Neumann is the villain and he has LCD displays growing out of his head.

>It was a cultural thing

Pretty much.

The Japanese approach to art and culture are a blurry mash due to the unique way their society and social structure developed. You have to remember that prior to 1600's Japan spent most its time trying to answer national questions of identity (thanks Neo-Confucianism) and religious queries (thanks Buddhism) through conflict. By the start of the Edo period everyone was tired of it all and there was a need to actually get shit together and stabilized.

For the wealthy, the fact that resources themselves were quite scarce to begin with, meant to maintain opulence and prestige rather than having armies, just having shit that had a nice appearance and form rather than outright bling-factor was the way forward. As Japan was largely feudal until the Meiji perid this meant how things were done and what form they took were important and subsequently the mindset bled into all sorts of different aspects of life. Warfare was one of these because the Tokugawa shogunate still had the whole 'warrior mindset' from the medieval period but had to reconcile it with this growing expectation of art form. Mean-whilst in Europe people still found bludgeoning each other to death with steel and wood was sufficient if it meant you could own land and get rich doing it.

People always assume that feudal Japan was this beautiful and romantic place/period where everyone wore fine silks and lived humble yet noble lives in aim to perfect their craft. When in reality it was a shit-show with mass peasantry and subsistence living and people literally fighting over random shit.

>John von Neumann is the villain and he has LCD displays growing out of his head
and also is a girl for some reason

They thought shields were cowardly. Be a REAL man, and use both hands for your weapon!

Shields can be weaponized doofus

and suddenly I am no longer interested
thanks for saving me and my time

>The viking isn't wearing mail

Told you. Shit's retarded.

They are vikings with mails.

Jesus fuck

My entire life I've been interested in pre-gunpowder warfare and it's literally never occured to me I never see shields depicted in Japanese warfare

Mind blown

Why are Japanese so weird?

Here's my theory: Shields are mainly useful for formations of heavy infantry moving together.

One of the most effective hard counters for heavy infantry is mounted cavalry - guys on horseback with bows absolutely murder formations of slow-moving guys on foot with shields in tight units.

In japan they already had a long tradition beforehand of having mounted cavalry - so considering that's where they're starting from, why would you create units of infantry using equipment that would be inherently vulnerable to the main type of fighting force that already exists?

Ugh. *Mounted archers. Of course they're cavalry if they're mounted already.

>develop gunpowder
>armor begins to slowly but surely become obsolete

They'd all evolve into pirates & cossacks sooner or later.

>Late medieval plate harnesses are the final word in battlefield armour until guns are applied.
And even then only en masse, but mind you the gun was not the death of the knight.

>The knight converts the other two to Christianity
>The viking gets upgraded to the "Norman" class and starts wearing practical armor also starts speaking French for no real reason
>Deus Vult

>And would all factions use plate-armour?
On a more serious note, yes. That's precisely what we see. After converting to Christianity, the Normans (in France) and the Scandinavians (in... Scandinavia. How shocking!) effectively became indistinguishable from other European knights, and over time started using plate like the rest of them. The Nips did keep around Samurai aesthetics for the longest time, but as soon as the Portuguese touched down they weren't afraid to ditch their o-yoroi in favor of Portuguese breastplates (or rather, they incorporated the latter into the former).

The "folded thousand times" meme comes from Japanese smiths being legendary because they turned shit metal into something decent, but they weren't above acknowledging that European metal was simply better.

I know I'm being really arbitrary in my definitions here, but if you look past knight and only look at heavy/armored cavalry, they didn't really die until WW1 (French Cuirassiers being the best example, they even sort of tried to soldier through the first part of WW1 by covering their shiny breastplates with cloth to make them less obvious targets).

>they didn't really die until WW1
Debatably the tank inherited the title.

>French tank divisions are literally referred to as cuirassiers
Can't say you're wrong, but they're no longer cavalry in the original sense.

What is?

Deus Vult

They did have shields. They used mantlets placed on the ground to protect archers and infantry against other archers. Also like everyone else said, they use a lot of two handed weapons.
If you want to know more, just watch this Italian weeb. He's pretty good.
youtube.com/watch?v=R2GcZWl1XGA

>Late medieval plate harnesses are the final word in battlefield armour until guns are applied.

I thought composite body armor beats plate in every possible situation.

They are all dead a hundred years later.

>a knight
Okay but from when?
>a samurai
Okay but from when?
>and viking
Okay but from when?

who are the tallest?

manlets will always disappear from history

Except for Napoleon of course.

Deus vult.

>MMA is the battlefield

Cavalry derived from caballus, literally referring to horse riders

Depends on the setting. Like, both of them.

In my own, the knight, the viking, and samurai would eventually run into their alt-world counterparts and either be charged as a heretic among their analogues or simply hailed as funny ally.

Either way, everyone is going to get guns by the end of their stay.

Not unprecisdented for the knight or samurai but it's gonna blow the mind of the viking.