Can we talk a little bit about sexism in the Magic the Gathering community? We can expand it to other games...

Can we talk a little bit about sexism in the Magic the Gathering community? We can expand it to other games, but I want to focus on MtG. I linked a thread below that really brings up some good points and shows how much of a problem there is.

I've noticed that there isn't a very fair or diverse audience when it comes to top 8s, or even top 16s. All of the listings are predominantly male. In addition, women in MtG are viewed as a momentary opponent, instead of being given the full person treatment.

Please share your thoughts.

reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/5xjaxn/suggestions_againt_sexism_in_lgs/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WB05_73RaA8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Let's put it this way: you would have to get rid of easily 3/4 of the audience before women who play MtG are going to stop just playing cube with friends.

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

My guess is more men play MTG, so more men make it to the top.

Kys baitposter.

If this is an actual desire for genuine discussion then go somewhere else.

I don't see how a game with a large majority male playerbase having the best players be male is sexist. It's just very unlikely a female would make it to the top.

thank you for the nice pic now kill your self bye :D

Report and hide, you're better than this Veeky Forums

I can't get genuine discussion on Reddit because it's full of liberals. Anyone who has a slightly right-wing opinion is immediately downvoted to oblivion, and oftentimes banned by the mods. I was hoping that Veeky Forums would be more mature, but it appears not.

Why is it unlikely that a female could make it to the top. I'm just pointing out that the top players are *disproportionately* male. Your point is a good one, but it doesn't hold up.

Not to mention the absolute shitshow that is FNM. I haven't seen a single woman at an FNM that isn't subject to harassment or teasing just because she's a woman.

>I've noticed that there isn't a very fair or diverse audience when it comes to top 8s, or even top 16s.

That's because, guess what? Women and minorities are either (1) worse at the game, or (2) do not participate in enough numbers to have a place there.

If 1% of MtG players are blacks and women, then the top 16 is likely to not contain a single one of either of them. In fact there's an ~80% chance it won't.

Moreover, learn to get over the fact that, guess what, there is no fucking sexism in Magic the Gathering. There are a bunch of creepy neckbeards, yep. But that's it.

> momentary opponent

Learn to get over the fact that if you want to be treated as a real opponent, get good at the game. I'm not a pro magic player but you don't see me whining about not being taken seriously. You know what? Only women do that. Why? because they are constantly after validation. Do you know what men do when they feel excluded? They do something to make themselves worthy of inclusion. Do you know what women do when they feel excluded? They whine and bitch about "gurl powahh" until people pretend to like them just to get them to shut the fuck up.

>women and minorities
>minorities
No one is talking about minorities. You need to have a hard look in the mirror and sort yourself out.

>deddit

Since I don't have hobby time to waste about assholes, I have a very simple procedure.
>Talk about the issue like two adult, mature human beings
>If unsuccessful, leave and find other people to play with.
>If still unsuccessful, change games since playing Veeky Forums-stuff alone is quite sad.

And it isn't limited to sexism. I got people getting agressive about the town I'm from, the shirt I wore or the faction I played. Retards will be retards, unless you're willing to physically beat them to a pulp, it's usually best to avoid them.
It's a game, no point in playing if you're getting angry and not having fun.

>why is it unlikely
Because there are less of them. Take into account that only a minority of players actually go to tournaments in the first place, and that's an even smaller number of women that would go, let alone win.

The cards do not require genetalia to function
The game does not require one sex or the other to function
Any perceived problems with the player base are external, and should be approached externally

Tbh as a girl I think the problem is that none of these losers know how to talk to the fairer sex so they get flustered and resort to frogposting.

This is already an understood problem.

Look up why there aren't many top female Chess players.

Statistically makes sense. Less female players in general mean less top female players.

>I was hoping that Veeky Forums was more mature
You don't spend a lotta time here do ya buddy?

There should be a quota. We already have Affirmative Action, why not give women and minorities handicap?

so you don't understand what diversity means? google a thesaurus, idiot.

>Do you know what men do when they feel excluded? They do something to make themselves worthy of inclusion.

You know the existence of this website shows otherwise.

There's a girl at my LGS that absolutely sucks at MtG. She only shows up because people buy her food and she gets showered in attention. I think she streams as well. The whiteknights insisted that she be allowed to start at 40 life for Standard. Feels bad man.

You're so stupid that it hurts. Fuck off, retard. Go be a dumbass somewhere else.

Oh, so diversity only applies to women? Gotcha.

If you are the butthurt female OP, why are you so mad about me bringing in minorities? They are under-represented as well. Oh wait, if we pay attention to them, that is less attention and victim-time for you, isn't it?! I'm sorry, how inconsiderate of me.

One board on this website shows otherwise. And we are talking about most men, not men on Veeky Forums.

>The whiteknights insisted that she be allowed to start at 40 life for Standard.

Top kek.

> People buy her food

How fat is she??

just like everywhere else then. This is the reason why people are annoyed by "gamer girls" as well.
That said, you can't give them 100% of the blame either, because their shit wouldn't fly if nerds weren't so goddamn thirsty.

I don't get it

I mean do we just fucking hand awards away to women for participating? It's not like the rules themselves are sexist and WoTC have done a great job of representing strong women and people of colour in Magic cards and in the planeswalkers themselves. There's like one white male planeswalker and it's Jace who is pretty elusive in the lore.

I'm serious though, what do you honestly think we should do to fix the top players being men?

not him, but

>lmao your stupid
This is literally elementary school level argumentation. Try much, much harder.

Diversity isn't mentioned anywhere, lad. The OP clearly only talks about sexism. You're making an argument where there is none.

You are him, and you're retarded as fuck. Kill yourself, Trump supporter.

you flip a coin to see who wins the tournament, and if it comes up the wrong way you change the result so that the right minority/group/gender/color/dangly parts all can win in order. Also remove mana lands because they're sexist and remove all win and lose conditions because they might trigger someone.

Exactly, we need to segregate tournaments and leagues by gender. Anyone who identifies as female can play in the female league. Anyone who identifies as male can play in the male league. And anyone who identifies as both, can play in both. I don't know how we'll accommodate non-binaries, anyone have any ideas?

We need to bring social justice to the forefront, there must be equality in MtG.

It's literally in OP's post, fucknugget.

Nope.

>tfw women only recieve 0.77 mana per basic land

Easy. Every binary/non- binary has their own league, so that everyone competes with their own kind. Then, the top players in each division compete . This way, everyone gets representation.

Actually if you account for dangerous strats and the level of play, women receive closer to 0.98 mana per basic land.
>This is how stupid people that deny the gender wage gap sound

>I've noticed that there isn't a very fair or diverse audience when it comes to top 8s, or even top 16s.
>fair or diverse
>diverse

How do you fit every gender into a format with multiple of 16, excluding satellites?
The number system is incredibly problematic and outright sexist in this regard. Something needs to be done.

This, I mean just because they don't work as hard or as often or compete for raises doesn't mean they aren't entitled to the same wage. fucking men.

Checkmate, fuckthatch.

>Not knowing unmarried women without kids make 1.07 mana more than men running the same deck

>I haven't seen a single woman at an FNM that isn't subject to harassment or teasing just because she's a woman.

I have regularly. You're just living the meme life.

>hurr durr one buzzword means the entire context and made argument is moot
WEW

nerds tend to not like girls very much
most people who play mtg are nerds

>Can we talk a little bit about sexism in the Magic the Gathering community?

Can we not?

Nigger cunt kike faggot

Okay, look.

MtG, unfortunately, attracts creepy people with no real social adaptation. Many of those people are completely unable to interact well with women. Wizards can't ban them, because they are a source of income, so we have to deal with them.

I, a dude, don't want to deal with them, but sometimes it will happen. I don't want to have to talk to people that are basically cringe on two legs, or endure their terrible hygiene, or their delusional ranting. But playing the game means I'm going to occasionally run into these people, and I deal with that. If you want to play MtG, you must simply resign yourself to the fact that you'll meet and will have to interact with some socially maladapted fucksticks. Just think of it like charity work, and remember that they're far more afraid of you than you are of them.

As for the male/female ratio in rankings? There are far, far, FAR more male MtG players than females. It it extremely statistically unlikely for a woman to get into the top tens of anything. Not because of skill, or bias, or anything like that - because of pure numbers.

To minimize sexist wrongthink at Magic events, I stopped going.

>Also remove mana lands because they're sexist
This is one of those small things that really, really bugged me. Wizards employees can't say "manland" because they want to eb more "inclusive"? Dude, what? Man in context isn't the sex man, it's man the species. Humanity is still often collectively referred as "man" without consequence as far as I know. The shrothand "manland" had nothing to do with the gender. Who complained to them in the first place that it was percieved as sexist? Stuff like that and them having to have a black female "consultant" to create Kaya are unbelievable.

>Can we talk about this difference in privilege?
UHHH ACKSHUALLY NO IT DOESN'T AFFECT ME SO IT DOESN'T EXIST

>OP links Reddit
>OP hasn't been banned yet

These are dark times indeed

No one's saying your argument is wrong because of a buzzword. We're saying you're wrong because the buzzword was in the OP, despite your firm claims of the opposite.

Well, clearly, because everyone gets representation, you add divisions until you get multiples of 16. So if you have 34 divions, you add 15 more, even if that means one person per additional division.

Case in point. You can't rationalize with a clown who makes these sort of posts so any attempts at arguing would be a waste of time on both sides.

There's an ongoing initiative to change the royal "man" to a more inclusive "humankind". Even the most stalwart of misogynists can't realistically justify using "man" to refer to the entire spectrum of the human race.

Probably true but tradition demands: tits or gtfo

Is there actually a single woman who maintains a 50%+ WR in top 16s?

But that buzzword isn't talking about what you think it's talking about. OP is specifically referring to sexism and the lack of gender diversity. Race diversity is another discussion entirely.

>tfw the terms "human", "woman", and "female" won't ever get changed are stuck with needing to have the words "man" and "male" in there
it's 2017 bros why are we accepting this?

possibly, but it's a 95% chance that woman is just a man in a wig.

>I'm just pointing out that the top players are *disproportionately* male
Pros in dumb card games live lives that 100% revolve around being good at dumb card games. Women generally don't care to make that sacrifice. But as soon as any of the no-lifers start getting recognition, nu-males and "feminists" come out of the woodwork to screech about sexism.

Pro vidya works exactly the same way.

But the word "Man" is still in HuMANkind. Obviously it should be Personkind. This is the most inclusive.

Acceptable?

Naw fuck that shit. I'm going to keep using man, just like I'll keep using BC and AD.

in old english woman is wifman and man is wereman. man is modern usage of the word.

on one hand
>no timestamp
on the other hand
>dat mouth

I want to believe...

>tfw in the darkest timeline

Alright you guys, think about it like this.

The majority of people who play MtG in ranked tournaments are neckbeard faggots who treat women like shit.

Women who enjoy MtG would not want to associate those type of people. They get into the game, start to learn about it, enjoy it, make decks ect. Then they go play in a public setting.
>And litterally everyone there treats them like shit, hits on them, and smells bad.

Who the fuck would want to compete in a place where they are ostracized, and harrassed constantly?
So there may be women who belong in the top % but just aren't ranked.

Can we just have one game where bitches don't get jealous we are having fun without them?

>would play strip magic with
>I want to believe...
Same.

Believe it or not, some women just want to play a game about summoning monsters and fighting wizzard battles.

Sure. I think it's called "being a misogynistic piece of shit".

Seems to be their own problem.

now dress up like liliana. pre- or post-spark, I don't care.

Don't think most bitches are.
100% of the female magic players I've known only played because their bf/husband coerced them.

But this excludes those who don't identify with other people, instead, for example, identifying as an attack helicopter. Obviously, if you aren't an exclusive anti-social pig, the best choice would be "thingkind".

>call all creatures/planeswalkers "dudes"
>someone tries to tell me I misgendered my knight of the reliquary

That's literally rape.

Oh, bitches get plenty jealous about that.

>I've noticed that there isn't a very fair or diverse audience when it comes to top 8s, or even top 16s. All of the listings are predominantly male. In addition, women in MtG are viewed as a momentary opponent, instead of being given the full person treatment.

The only way to fix that is for women to git gud at the game and push their way into the top 8's or 16's. I only play MTG for funsies every few months or so with a deck that I don't even balance, but even I can tell you that MTG is a highly competitive field when it comes to pro play.

I know that you're not asking this, but by some strange series of events you are asking people to go easy on women to make them feel more welcome then you're probably better off supporting the girl-gamer only leader boards on certain competitive console games websites.

Harassment also kind of comes with the competitive atmosphere. Shit talking is prevalent in every form competition, even in "Old men's games" like Golf. People want to get under your skin and don't usually realize they're taking it too far, especially considering how subjective sensitivity and offensive material actually is.

You really cant expect people to change their play style to cater to people who don't either have the patience, or time, to put into the game as they do.

>when your opponent assumes the gender of your Knight of the Reliquary

>Call a group of people "guys"
>Girl speaks up and says they aren't a "guy"

since they seem to not like how other people play it, they can play by themselves then.

the wyrm has turned

>tfw people lost their shit over Triumph of Ferocity because of "rape implications" when if anything, Triumph of Cruelty was much more visually akin to a rape scenario but because it was woman-to-man violence it was just ignored

I remember this one time during BFZ or OGW pre re there was a cute girl playing, nobody really paid atention to her since she was with some of her male friends and having a good time overall. Then I remember walking down the stairs of the store when I saw this fucking creepy asshole trying to hit on her, it was fucking sad and the girl was just sleeving her cards and looking for some way out, I felt sad for her.

As for OP' topic, at least in my country, there's been an increase in ladies playing and even one that was super top tier, dunno if she's still
around since I don't play competitive.

Also IMO, the fat highschool nerd meme that plays magic is not real anymore, or at least a very small part is, whenever I show up to a store there are 30+ guys in suits with their wives or gf who go to play after work.

This sexism and oppresion problem seems to be an American problem instead of a worldwide one. Get you shit together eagle fuckers. Besides, I have a hard time believing that all the guys in a store tease the only girl playing, why can't just talk about it the asshole guy or the store owner? It's not like we live in 20s.

>Can we talk a little bit about sexism in the Magic the Gathering community?
lol
Fuck off with this boogeyman. There's no sexism. This is just SJWs trying to find something to complain about.

>I've noticed that there isn't a very fair or diverse audience when it comes to top 8s, or even top 16s. All of the listings are predominantly male.
So women aren't winning tournaments, therefore IT MUST BE SEXISM? Hahaha, fuck off.

>In addition, women in MtG are viewed as a momentary opponent, instead of being given the full person treatment.
"Full person treatment"? The fuck is that generic phrase even supposed to mean? You could look at any behavior one player has to another and say they're not giving a "full person treatment." What a meaningless complaint. Besides, people are surprised when they play against a woman in a predominantly male game? Wow! What a shocker! People are also surprised when they see male cheerleaders and preschool teachers. But you're not complaining about THAT sexism, are you? Fucking leftists.

>LGS owner to store: "ok guys, little miss fussy britches over here wants you guys to stop making fun of her. No, she isn't borrowing her boyfriends deck and no, I don't know if she's just on her period. There you go, sweetheart, play some Magic."

>choose some gay classes instead of math/computers so I can break the monotony of all-guy groups and actually talk with some girls
>4 guys with 23 girls
>teachers refer to the group as "girls"
>don't care and no guy ever says anything

Must suck being a woman and getting bothered by these sort of things, I wouldn't stand it.

Fuck off.

You literally cut and pasted that from the reddit thread in OPs link. Stop it.

Melissa DeTora.

>Even the most stalwart of misogynists can't realistically justify using "man" to refer to the entire spectrum of the human race.
Look at this poisoning the well statement. Look how it tries to paint you as a misogynist if you even so much as call it out for the lie it is, much less attack it. People like this, people who call you misogynist with no evidence, they're the bad guys.

>a more inclusive
Beep beep beep
SJW alert

The saddest part is that even the LGSs are in on it.

youtube.com/watch?v=WB05_73RaA8

Exaggeration, the post. Maybe instead of getting a victim complex, they should do like most smart people do and find better stores.

>gets knocked out in first round
b-but s-sexism!!

This just feels like a way for women to police everything about a hobby again, it's like they're some kind of ethics committee who you have to ask before you do ANYTHING.

In a similar way, there might be sociable, productive and good-smelling players belonging in the top % that don't go in tournaments for the same reasons.