Have to miss session for a job interview, but clear it a week ahead of time with the DM

>Have to miss session for a job interview, but clear it a week ahead of time with the DM
>The party is just going to a nobleman's masquerade so they shouldn't need the fighter around for too much anyway, give the DM permission to NPC my character in my absence
>Get a text message last night
>"Your character died, call me"
>The wizard saw his wizard school rival or some shit at the party and started a fight
>The guards intervened and it turned into an all-out brawl after the wizard vaporized two of them with a fireball
>GM let one of the other players control my character during the fight because they didn't know how else to handle it
>He completely forgot to use any of my martial archetype techniques and got my character killed during the battle
>My character is the only casualty of a fight he never should have been in that I wasn't there for

I think I'm a decently adjusted person but holy shit I think this is the first time I've ever legitimately gotten angry over something that's happened in a tabletop game in my life. This is bullshit, right? My GM is basically just going "them's the breaks sorry" but I'm not being That Guy if I push this and try to get him to undo this, am I? There is literally no reason why someone else should have been handling my character sheet, and I have never in my life seen a GM target a player who WASN'T AT THE FUCKING GAME with consequences they had no time to react to

What the fuck should I do Veeky Forums

Killing off your character while you're not even there is total fucking horseshit, yes.

The GM giving it to another person makes sense for a fight kinda if they have lots to take care of. But making them die because the other player and keeping the death is horse shit and you are justified.

Them's ARE the breaks though. Shit happens, you lose a character, and you move on. Roll another one and chill.

Ask for a retcon because someone who didn't know how to play fighters fucked you up. If that's fails then your dm is a faggot.

This only applies in meatgrinder games where you put no effort or investment into characters because them dying is par from the course. From what OP said, this was not one of those games.

Drop the game.

Yes, it's BS. If a player isn't there then their character is sick/hunting/gathering information etc. Even if it's absolutely necessary that he be with the group (like if you're a mile deep in a dungeon) the GM should not let a missing player's PC die. Honestly I would leave the group if he doesn't let you bring the character back.

Why ask strangers on the internet you could also ask the DM. You gave permission for your character to be npc'ed. Shits fucked but just take the hit

Yeah, your GM's an asshole. There's a decent argument to be made that it's bs when a character dies to completely random chance as opposed to either a significant mistake on the part of the player, or as part of some narrative piece. This isn't even random chance, you had absolutely no part in the character's death, and it is a complete dick move to force you to reroll as a result.

The GM should just say you were knocked out during the fight and got healed up.

Stop playing with that group. Thank god that you've been freed so easily

No, you have every right to be pissed.

Losing a character you have spent more than a couple sessions with, when you aren't even there, as the only casualty is bullshit. Maybe, MAYBE, if more people had died there could be some cool thing to coming back.

But as the only casualty, caused by another player who triggered the event, and another player controlling him poorly, then be angry. Demand that he brought back. Hell, say that your character was kidnapped and it was a doppleganger, say that you beat the god of death in an arm wrestling competition.

Drop the game only if this is just a compounded issue on top of other severe issues, or the GM is just absolutely unreasonable in letting you suffer for actions you had absolutely no control over and were the other players fault.

Most likely he doesnt have the dtop yhe game option, likely its the only game he can get into in town.
There is 3 games im aware of in my town, munes the only one that plays even remotely on a day i can, doesnt smell wierd, or have crappy Wiccan overtones to EVERYTHING.

My policy is if a player can't make it their character fell into a plot hole and is absent for all events of that session. No, narratively it doesn't "make sense" but this is a game, not a novel. I will never put a person's character in danger of dying or otherwise suffering some kind of negative consequence if the player isn't even there.

Killing your character when you're not there is textbook That Guy behavior.

Funnel your rage and have your fighter return as a revenant with the sole goal of transcending the game and killing that player.

>user plays games when businesses are regularly open
dude what is wrong with you?

Actually a salvageable idea though. I know that Revenants are a usable PC race in plenty of systems. See if your GM wants to cooperate with you to bring him back.

Yeah OP, do like this user says, because rev enacts are cool, and remember to bitchslap IC the mage that started that useless brawl

The real question is - did you get the job?

Make your replacement character literally the same character and act like nothing happened.

No, you are right to be mad.

Ask your GM to retcon your character as being merely badly wounded and left for dead. Its completely unfair for you to be punished in this manner for something you were not even there for. It was a questionable decision to involve your character in the fight without you being present, and its very poor form to have your character suffer lasting consequences from a session you missed.

This applies beyond just being dead, for the record. It would likewise be a dick move for you to come back and find your character suffered a curse or permanent injury because of shit that happened when someone else was controlling your character.

If your GM doesn't understand why this decision is a problem, he isn't a very good GM. GMing a game absolutely hinges on the social contract that exists around the game table the the GM controls the world, the players control the characters, and the challenges will be fair. In this situation, your GMs first priority should be getting your character back in the game ASAP with as little fuss as possible. If he brings you back with a negative level or some other "penalty" as a result of the IC fluff for how you get brought back, its bullshit. There are any number of ways to get you back in the game, and him choosing one that penalized you is, in bird culture, a dick move.

This seems like a cool way to salvage a shitty situation.

should your PC have died? Probably not.
Is your GM going to fiat them back to life? also probably not.

It seems like you are in the right here, but it is unlikely that pressing your GM on will make them reverse the decision, it will probably only make them angry/frustrated with you. Even totally reasonable people can be pig headed about little things like this.

working with the GM to come up with a cool reason that you are playing the same character again might be a good compromise.

You tell the GM that that's a huge pile of bullshit and to retcon your character death, or leave the group.

And if quitting isn't an option and the GM won't budge, your new character is his identical twin who has been secretly stalking the party the whole time, waiting for an opportunity to steal his brother's identity.

It happens in every game. Characters die, it's a fact of the hobby. Sure, they might not go out the way you wanted them to, but there's not a whole lot you can do about it. The dice will fall where they may, regardless of how invested you are in your character or how much backstory they have. Yes, it sucks, but complaining about it doesn't do anything for anyone.

Are you an idiot? RPGs aren't just "roll 1d100 to suddenly drop dead" there are choices. But he was gone for something in real life that was important and was punished for it.

Didn't know saying that you shouldn't get angry when a character dies was such a controversial thing. Calm your tits.

Op is mad that their group fucked him over and his gm supported this. Now we have a decent bit of people that are implying quitting might not be an option.

Is this about d&d or an abusive relationship?

Because that isn't actually what you said? Context is everything, and if you're ignoring it that just makes you an idiot.

That argument applies when you're actually playing, yes.

To make a comparison, this is like leaving a slice of cake in the fridge and putting your name on it. You come back later, and find a plate covered in cake crumbs, and your friend says "sorry man, cake gets eaten, that's just how it goes."

Your character should only die when you;re playing it. Getting angry because your character died while you were playing it is one thing, getting angry because your character died while you weren't even in the house is another. Don't pretend that those two scenarios are even remotely the same.

You're dumb.

What is ? Maybe you should actually read before you start screeching and namecalling.

Yeah, this.

It's bullshit. I'd tell that group to fuck off.

Nope. What I said entirely applies. Your comment, in context, is you being an asshole, nothing else. Acting like it might mean something else out of context, or in a different context, is meaningless. You replied to the OP, which set the context for your post, which makes you an asshole.

As other people have pointed out, "thems the breaks" really only applies when the player was actually, you know, playing the character.

It's not presumptuous or bratty to get peeved when you have to miss a session and come back to find out your character is dead.

>Ask for a retcon because someone who didn't know how to play fighters fucked you up.
This. All other matters aside, your character did not behave/perform the way he should have. The integrity of the of things has already broken, so retconing it so your character was in a coma rather than actually being dead ruins nothing.

Yeah no. is correct.

You're an idiot. DMs killing your characters during sessions you're not in is a DM intentionally punishing a player. Games are about having fun together. Yes: characters dying is part of that because there's no reward without risk. But the player wasn't there. So there wasn't any risk or reward--the DM simply did something dickish to a specific person, intentionally, to harm their ability to obtain enjoyment from what the player spent his free time on.

That DM, and you, are idiots and can fuck right off.

I don't think you have the authority to determine what context it is or isn't.

He does.
I say so.

I second.

I have the authority to call you a faggot

I don't need to. You replied to the OP. That defined the context in a way that doesn't rely on any 'authority'.

What if I told you that DnD is an abusive relationship.

The best system to avoid this sort of thing is having people swap out between sessions. The game I've got going right now has like ~11 people, but we never all play at the same time, so if someone's going to be missing, their character just isn't there for [reason]

That said you're not being autistic and should def drop the game because that's a dick move.

>What the fuck should I do Veeky Forums

>The GM should just say you were knocked out during the fight and got healed up
Demand this.

If he refuses after reasonable discussion, then:
>Drop the game only if this is just a compounded issue on top of other severe issues, or the GM is just absolutely unreasonable in letting you suffer for actions you had absolutely no control over and were the other players fault.
This.

If it is not part of a larger issue, then this:
>Shit happens, you lose a character, and you move on. Roll another one and chill.
But remind the GM he was wrong and a douchenozzle.
Forgive, but don't forget, lest he get comfortable being an asshole.

Don't do that last thing unless it is rolling up the exact same character,

You gave the GM permission to NPC your character, not pass them off to another PC.

Retcon it, or find a way for someone else to bring them back and reintegrate with the main party later.

This requires you to create the greatest abomination in the history of games. Make either the most min-maxed Murderhobo Destructotron or make the most obnoxious fetish-fueled snowflake you can imagine and inflict them on the GM.

That's not how context works.

Bad GMing, you should be there when your character dies at least, no punches pulled when the character actually plays though.

Yes it is

>say that you beat the god of death in an arm wrestling competition.
I like you. And it'd pretty damn cool for the fighter to have Death as a sort of grudigingly respecting rival.

I don't know how you should handle this OP. Probably talk it out with the GM. Get him to retcon the session sounds a little dickish, but it's his own damn fault for fucking you over.

I can tell you how I've handled this before.

Last session one of the two Barbarians (2 Barb, 1 Druid, 1 Paladin party) had a job thing and couldn't make it. I had the Druid's player run "Velph-the-Angry-Elf" in combat, but otherwise we sort of ignored him like he was an NPC. When a herd of Remorhazes attacked the party, the Druid immediately offered to throw Velph down a hole at one, ensuring his death but saving the day*.

*The Druid is a fucking moron at the best of times and Velph would have been utterly fucked if this happened with no discernible benefit from my point of view. He got the job of babysitting only because no one else wanted it.

It was then that we decided as a group to impose a NPC-By-Committee rule. Basically, while one person got to play a missing player's character in combat, they had to get everyone's input before doing something even moderately dangerous. It generally kept the character from doing stupid shit, and the most experienced players (who didn't want to play two characters) could lend their system mastery towards keeping the absent Player's Character alive.

I don't even understand this weird bickering over context. It played out like this:

>OP: I missed a session due to previous plans, and my character died in a fight caused by another player while I was absent
>That Guy: "them's the breaks"
>Rest of Thread to That Guy: that's not how it works

The only case in which I would kill off a non-present player's character would be either if they rolled up a new character (and I would require them to give a good reason why their old character needed to go) or if they had to drop out of the game permanently. The only other reason I could think of would be a TPK, and even then I could have it that the character that wasn't present survived because they weren't there.
If you bot a player's character, they shouldn't enter combat.

>it's a "My character was killed when I wasn't around to play them" thread

Been a couple months since we had one of these.

Sneak into his mom's basement and take a shit on his dm notes. I am of course assuming that your gm is a neet because he killed your character over a job review, if he has his own place go over to his mom's house and buttsex her.

He's right you know. OP has a right to be pissed, his character died and he had no say in the matter. If OP was there and controlled his dude when he died than it would be fine, but shit like what OP describes devalues your own characters because they could be killed off when you miss a session.

Nonchalantly accept your characters death and roll up a new character without being upset. Kill the other players character and leave the group.

Remind the DM you entrusted him with the character sheet, not the other player and then ask him how to fix it.

Go there next session, tell the GM he's a shit GM and the players that they are both faggots -especially the player who controlled your character, he's a retard AND a faggot- then leave.

This.

Roll a stealthy fucker, kill everyone during your watch, leave.

did he died ?

Nah, the GM fucked up. If he doesn't go back on it, he's a shit GM and the guy should switch to Roll20.

No.

Eventually, the pit spat him back out.

Each person has their own limit.
This death alone isn't enough to make me quit a group, but it is a strong step toward it.

Shit in his fridge. Shit in his bed. Shit EVERYWHERE. Do it for months, bring a shit in your bag and excuse yourself to leave it somewhere. Embrace the roll of Shitlord

It sucks, but as long as the GM isn't in a habit of doing shit like that I wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially if you actually like the group. If you don't like the group, move on and play somewhere else. If you do, roll up a new character and look at it as a chance to start fresh. Don't let the GM jew you on things though. Get full gold value for the items on your dead character to spend on your new character, full experience, etc... Losing a character sucks, even more so when it's not your fault, but it can be an interesting opportunity as well. You can probably use it to get a few concessions from the GM for a certain race or class you want to play that he wouldn't otherwise allow. Gluck.

That's retarded. Offer to let your character have a scar or something to show the fight happened, leave if the GM keeps you dead.

No it isn't, kill yourself you retarded little brat

Offhand, I can only think of once when I killed the character of a player who wasn't there, and it was on purpose. Maybe it was childish, but the fucker said he was coming to the session and didn't. So we were left there waiting for him. And another one of my friends (who wasn't into RPGs and therefore wasn't playing) ran into him and he was apparently not in the mood to play, so he was avoiding us. Understand that this was a campaign that we had played without all of the people there at least a couple of times before, and we had a quorum, so we didn't need him to be there to play. But since we thought he was, we waited and waited for him. Also, it's a character that he had only played for a couple of sessions, so it's not like it was some great loss.

Suggestion for your GM. Your NPC'd character didn't use any of their techniques because they'd been replaced by a shape shifter beforehand.

Either the shape shifter(s) replaced your character and the party has a limited window to find the real one before he's killed, or he's already dead and the party recruits your new character while investigating.

Where exactly did he say that it was okay to NPC their character though? Even then, it's one thing to NPC a character whose player isn't there and intentionally murdering the character off when a) the player gave prior notice and b) they were the only casualty in that particular campaign.

Only on Veeky Forums have I ever seen DMs so stupid as to not say "Oh hey, OP is out today so OP's character had to run some important backstory errand, fuck off, he's not here"

Absolutely every GM I know would rather do this or simply postpone the damn session rather than invite the clusterfuck OP just described.

That only works when the player is present to play that particular character, not when the player had to miss a session and the GM decided to drop a bridge on them just because.

but HE didn't lose the character, you idiot, some other faggot did.

You're honestly better off just dropping the game though. In some layer of THAT GM's being, they saw the situation play out and decided "hmm, I'm okay with the way this is going down" regardless of the player's feelings, especially when the player missed game to go to a job interview.

It's like someone wearing your clothes without permission or barging in your room uninvited, it's technically not the worst thing ever but it does display some traits that would be categorized as narcissistic behavior.

>(You)

If it would be unfeasible, or an unreasonable stretch, for the PC to disappear for a bit, I just rule the PC to be an NPC with low-level plot armor.
Never had a problem.
Might be tricky if there was a TPK, but it hasn't happened.

>Where exactly did he say that it was okay to NPC their character though?

He says that right in the OP. Which honestly was a mistake, but at the same time he probably (very rightly) assumed the GM wouldn't actually let the character die.

You're not wholly wrong but this user made my point better.

>low-level plot armor
That's fair enough I guess.But if you run them as "Sheet piloted by monkeys" then you deserve everything that's coming.

Yeah if you paid just drop 'em, OP

Sorry, I missed that part before I realized what OP said. Either way, my point still stands.

Yep.
Death = waking up after the battle with 1hp.
>T'was but a scratch.

Just roll a new character and ruin the game on purpose.

Like some others have said, request that a mysterious circumstance occurred that allowed your fighter to cheat death. If gm does not go for it, I would leave. No game is better than a bad game as some anons say.

>my point still stands.

Well obviously.

Giving someone permission to borrow your car doesn't mean you forfeit the right to be angry if he crashes it.

Especially if they lend your car to another friend of theirs without your knowledge or permission

What the story really underlines for me are the other monongoloid players OP are dealing with, that start some douchebag bullshit out of spite and then throwing OP's character under the bus to deal with it.

I'd be better off at home playing vidya in that situation.

Shit GM detected

Tell your GM to fuck off, that's a dick move.

In fact, I'm pretty sure this thread is full of lies because the level of passive malice and general retardation required to actually allow such a thing to pass is beyond the threshold where you lose the ability to actually comprehend things like dice and storytelling, so it automatically precludes any GM in our reality.

You're a contrarian shithead, fuck yourself.

>not realizing this is a sign that they DON'T WANT YOU THERE

Stop playing with them.

Dm and not GM so pathfinder or DandD. DM should never let anther player control the fighter. Not GM long or kind of bad as why is not the wizard paying to get you RASIED !!!!

Just quit and find another group. Delete your email addresses, block on all social media platforms, change your phone number.

It's either that or they're straight up social retards; in which case unless you are in Scandenavia and that's normal, quit and never look back.

Anyone with a half a brain should be able to determine the context of a post in a thread is the fucking thread, which is what he said.

>give the DM permission to NPC my character
If you do that, you are accepting that the character might die. If you didn't realize that, you've learned a lesson. Just tale it as such and move on.