/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Real terror is not the sight of death, it is the fear of death edition

Previous: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A

>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/something-new-approacheth-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question:
Who is your favorite NPC from the official WoD material?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/f4zyjLyBp64
youtube.com/watch?v=dQ89WzVXe00
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is it possible for mages' mind to die in Astral? Want to do some dungeon crawl... IN ASTRAL!

Dr. Douglas Netchurch, for WoD. Hendaid Bran for CofD.

I'm rather fond of Sillivan Dane, because he's practically Peter Cushing's Van Helsing. The Chevalier de Thélème from Hunter: the Vigil is also pretty awesome. Honorable mentions go to the entire cast of Bloodlines, especially Knox, LaCroix and Mercurio.

No, not unless a power an astral spirit or mind mage has is used. Otherwise you just rebound back to your body with zero willpower.

Is there a written spell for this?

where can i play this online, or is there a program like fantasy grounds but for this sistem?

>Who is your favorite NPC from the official WoD material?

Samuel Heigh

because he is so bad, its actually hilarious

Nope. You'd have to make it. psychic sword wouldn't work though because it attacks the brain essentially but it'd be unmaking most likely. mind flay doesn't seem to have special use in the astral and it doesn't seem something that would be common.

Bad in what way?

He is not really a complex character nor he is orginal.

He is basically a cliche representation of whole Tzimisce clan in one person but he is pulled so well it 'works'.

He is this one of these hilarious gems that happen when for example 'le so randum' Malkavian is played good or something like that.

I just like him.

Also...
"Goodevening Deb..."

He gets a really good monologue and sometimes that's all you need.

How do you do political intrigue? As I've been reading through the Vampire books I realized that I actually have no idea not just how to create an interesting climate for drama but also how the hell I'm supposed to make it interesting. From what I can figure I guess that you create various characters in positions of power and give them competing motivations... but I don't know how to run a bunch of social encounters that are interesting and build up to something.

Any advice on how to run a politic/social heavy game would be appreciated.

relation maps

not best way but its how i do it

you just can't come up with shit easy as most intrigue is by default very complex.

do a map of your main characters, put them in sub group factions etc and with arrows connect them witch each other by common interests

conflicts will arise
build on that

i know that you know how to make the powers that be, my point is that with very clear map of motivations of which faction at play it is easier to come up with missions on the go that such faction would give to the players

you just can see who is vulnerable to kindaping, assassination, which character wants to bribe, intimidate or recruit which and for what purpose

not much to you i guess but maybe it helps

Saulot, he has fascinated me since I first read about him.

Saulot is Tau of World of Darkness.
Neat on its own, but just kind of doesn't fit in.

I don't see how you can arrive at that conclusion, can you expand ?

>Saulot is Tau of World of Darkness.
>Neat on its own, but just kind of doesn't fit in.

Except when you consider the idea that Saulot was just pretending to be a nice guy all along, in which case it fits WoD perfectly... and that is a scenario that the upcoming Beckett's Jyhad Diary seems to be implying is true.

>Who is your favorite NPC from the official WoD material?
Samuel Haight, hes the ultimate badass afterall.

>expand
Not really. But i can kind of clarify if this shit will make sense.

Whole Salubri clan and Saulot is a really good read don't get me wrong. On its own its brilliant. Its just i don't really like idea of forced "goodness" in the setting about bloody vampires. Golconda should be personal journey and a mystery to solve and whole Clan based around the ideal? It was just weird in my opinion. Didn't fit. Like Tau in Grimdark.

Fact that most Salubri players i came across are borderline Mary Sue / That Guy's who just shit on a setting doesn't help.

How can i roleplay an internal struggle of hunger and a beast for most of the group if this one pseudo-philosophical fuck just mediates and refuses to kill shit because muh Saulot and muh Humanity.

In Vampire, Humanitiy is something to be LOST... not gain like a discipline. This is where most of roleplay juice comes from.

This is my opinion tho.

>one pseudo-philosophical fuck just mediates and refuses to kill shit because muh Saulot and muh Humanity.
Sounds like a solid case for diablerie to me.

T...that would be neat indeed.
But then again i played most of my WoD experiences back in 00', without much of books to so there is where my opinion about Saulot comes from.

He's basically a stand-in for Vykos.

But also yes, the idea that in between preparing for Gehenna and trying to take over the city, he relaxes by trolling late-night radio talk shows is hilarious. It actually adds an unexpected extra dimension to his character.

Thanks, that does actually help. I am confident that I can create decent characters in a vacuum, but connecting them was part of what got me. A relation map sounds very useful and kinda fun too. I guess once I figure that stuff out things will fall into place, cool.

You joking?

You think the false messiah vampire who stole the secrets of enlightenment from the East and accidentally created a bloodline of demon-worshipers, spinning his prior shtick of 'be nice' to 'kill these dudes' in a heartbeat, let his entire clan be more or less wiped out so he could willingly allow himself to be diablerized by a sorcerous upstart purely for future machinations, doesn't belong in the world of darkness?

wasn't this after retcon tho?

they hack the Saulot and Salubri a lot, actually it might be that they did it because he didn't really fit in.

again, i remember his shit mostly from 00' when the books still came out and ideas been relatively fresh

Caiaphas Smith.

Tell me your promethean stories /CofDg/

> the upcoming Beckett's Jyhad Diary

Done by whom? Never mind, I'll check it myself.

>Onyx Path

Yeah, nah, I ignore whatever shit they decide to slap onto the old stuff cause it usually tends to be worse than what was had before, and that's saying something.

>my opinions are fact

Ey fuck off m8

I didn't say anything of the sort, only that I would ignore the shit content that Onyx Path does, much like I ignored the shit content that WW did previously as well. That includes the Soul Eater/Asakku shit as well.

Revised and cleaned up because I was bored.

If Gehenna wiped out all the Vampires but 13th generation or less, would it make for a better game than currently?

The less vampires the better

youtu.be/f4zyjLyBp64

So anybody ever played Vampire the Eternal Struggle (the card game)? How is it?

I'll assume you meant all vampires except 13th generation or higher. It'd be a mess to be sure. I've read somewhere that caitiff could grow more powerful if all elders were wiped out, "to preserve the blood" or some such. It might have been from We Drink Blood, so take it with a grain of salt.

Could it be anyone else?

Motherfucking John Courage.

Has anyone ever played the Lhiannan vampire bloodline? They're one of my favourites, and I'd like to know everyone's experience and thoughts on them.

How much does Order jade your perspective on Hubris?

For example would a Guardian be fine with spying on people but say a Mystagogue would suffer degeneration if they did the same.

What's the coolest thing you've done with the astral in cofd?

That's probably just thin-blood superstition bullshit.

King Jonas Albrecht. I have a soft spot for the 'gruff ragamuffin exile turned destined monarch' trope, all the way back to Thorin Oakenshield when I read the Hobbit as a wee lad. I also appreciate that he is basically the Terry Bogard of the setting and wouldn't be out of place in an SNK fighting game.

Agreed. I prefer Saulot's 'morality' to be left up to interpretation and mystery. Things being less explained in exactly detail adds a lot of nuance to the setting with the side benefit of creative control for STs.

It is. There is no backup plan built into Vitae that magically turns them into Methusalehs or whatever. Its defenestration trying to excuse their right to exist when we all know they're gutter trash and the ones spawning them should be staked and left out for sunrise.

Really, genocide off anything higher than say, 7th or 8th would be ideal, before the uppity fucks spread like an STD in Africa and try their hands at diablerizing again like those upstart Anarchs.

I hate people who don't get the concept that points of light in a grimdark setting are supposed to be there because they provide contrast.

Things like Saulot or the Sons of Ether or the Tau are there to show you that yes, there are 'good' people out there trying to be upright, optimistic, and benevolent, and yes, they do get some results, but they're so overwhelmed by the sheer scale of the problem and the number of people who don't give a fuck that they end up either getting burnt out or heroically sacrificing themselves in a move that doesn't actually move the world any closer to salvation.

A grimdark setting thats just "Bad Shit Bad Shit Bad Shit" all up in your face all the time is just goresploitation and misanthropy. The 'delusional' do-gooders are there to contrast with the utter depression of the overall setting.

Are the magefags gone?

Czar motherfucking Vargo, rightful ruler of Terra by right of superior Science.

How do Vampires in VTM feel about the dissipation of their society? After all- barring Gehenna, each year the average Generation drops as elders die and more vampires of the 13th generation are Embraced- a generation which can Sire only thin bloods- and one that is already the most common generation. Unless the Antedeluviand awaken and start mass embracing and don't end the world, the blood of Caine will thin into nothing within a millennium.

How do vampires feel about this?

Most vampires, barring a few like Jack, who for some reason liked the thinbloods, think nothing of killing/culling the thinbloods.

Well, the Saulot/ Tau comparison was utterly retarded, as he created the Baali, the Tremere (he's possessing Tremere himself), stole illumination (way to shit on the very concept of the thing), had the Wu Zao (or Watchers, by the Clambook and V20) collect/steal everything vaguely mystical , and the Salubri Antitribu as his personal army. He seems like a nice guy at first, but he's a crazy manipulator and that's very fitting for the WoD.

Smiling Jack.

I love the idea of a Brujah Elder as this unkempt, vicious old bikerlike character, tough as leather, old and manipulative as any scheming Ventrue in his tower but pretending at being like today's youth- folks whispering he was a pirate in awe, failing to realize that means he was a murdering pillager.

A brutal old barbarian as clever as any other Elder but far more brutal, more Brujah, laughing in the face of anyone and everyone- telling them to shove it up their ass. Playing at being dumb but at the end of the day he rolls out alive and laughing while his supposed betters burn for not realizing he plays Jyhad just as much and far better.

So fuck with them. You have all the character motivation in the world to be unfair to somebody lecturing that you're a junkie monster out of weakness and they're better than you. Say you're testing them and you'll even get away with it.

The Salubri antitribu are working for Saulot? If anything I'd think they were trying to kill him, since Tremere is head of the Tremere antitribu in the Sabbat alongside the Salubri antitribu, while said Salubri were trying to slaughter as many Tremere (who serve Saulot in Tremere's body) as possible.

Gods that's overcomplicated.

This.

You retards need to lighten (heh) up.

Favorite NPC?
>OWoD
Toss up between Beckett and Theo Bell.
>NWoD
The Brides of Dracula: Anoushka, Mara and Lisette.

He's not that old though, and he's only (in his canon appearance in a TT book) a 10th Generation, not an Elder.

We only know for sure that they are his creation through Adonai (iirc), probably to have an inside source inside the Sabbat and to check on Tremere.

Elder characters, under Elysium rules, start off a tenth and if he was a pirate that puts him well within the 200+ Age range required for that distinction.

I keep forgetting that Pretender Elder starts at 10th Generation in one of the older TT books; I'm so used to using 8th Gen as the 'starting point' for Elder. My bad, continue on mate.

According to the core book, V20, page 27, an Elder is a vampire between 200-1000 years of age. Jack may be 10th gen, but he was embraced in 1654, and born in 1611- he's near 400 years old, and definitely qualifies as an Elder.

So that snobby manchild known as LaCroix is a fucking Elder?

Disgusting.

You can be eldar by either age or gen, and when it comes down to it I'd be more cautious of a 500 year old 10th gen over a 100 year old 8th gen. Elders by age tend to have quite a wide disp spread when compared to one who went past dot 5

So, how 'bout them Obrimos?

Yeah; I'm used to Mind's Eye Theatre and there's a different set of criteria to be called elder in that.

For us basic vtm players minds eye is strange as fuck also, expecially the extra bloodlines and quazi bloodlines you got

So Hill is no longer developing for OPP, according to his tweetor.

Yeah, it's deffo different. Not bad, just different. I love all versions of vampire, it's just been forever since i've had the opportunity to play TT.

As a noob, what is it?

People have to respect him for a reason, after all.

Go look at Theo Bell's stats. By criteria, He's one of the Ancillae but he has one of the most fearsome stat spreads that you'll ever see.

Hello again, Best Piece of Mage Art.

MInd's Eye Theatre? That's the live-action version of Vampire the Masquerade. It plays on the same base concepts, but the system is different (some Disciplines are reworked, for example), and a number of things are expanded to allow for large games (like, I've been to games with as few as near 20 and to games with as many as near 200). It's designed for a larger scale, with PCs taking up positions like Prince, Seneschal, Primogens, etc.

It's fun. I've been doing LARP since 2004 for both Masquerade and Requiem.

My feelings are aptly described by

/
MY BUDDY. How's that Diablerizing thing going?

Nothing represents the awesome power of the Aether like a unicycle.

Who the hell was the art director on Mage 1e?

Good MET's are rare as fuck. I've been to two, most fucking cringe experience in my life good fucking damn.

youtube.com/watch?v=dQ89WzVXe00

Hi croxy.

I won't disagree there. I have been playing with a core group of about 20 in various forms throughout the years, and then we have anywhere from 10-20 others that come and go depending on what we're doing. We're about to end our current vampire run, and there's plans to do werewolf after, which seems like it'll be solid.

We have somehow avoided all the crazy shit you hear about Vampire LARPs, which I'm extremely grateful for.

bastets and a heist themed campaign, ye or nay?

lol cat burglars

Please share stories of cringe.

Hiring a famous line-art guy to do every single piece of art in the corebook seemed like a good idea at the time, and was actually marketed as a special thing about Awakening 1e, a selling point. Kaluta did the covers for the 1st and 2nd ed Ascension Traditionbooks, he'd done really good art in a *lot* of White Wolf properties.

It turns out that it's a very bad idea indeed, as even Kaluta, when faced with his 100th half-page, starts to slip.

But with that, as with the gold heading-font ink that was several shades brighter than the guys thought it was going to be, chalk it up to a learning experience.

Weren't the covers for the Tradition books by Christopher Shy?
As for Kaluta, he's done some very good art yes, as much as I dislike MtAw 1e's art direction.
M20, despite Crazy Uncle Phil's ramblings, as a very good art direction, too (Kaluta and Shy among others).

Can't be summarized in story format.

They were just... fuck.

Imagine a group where all of girls are attention whores and most people score so high on autism and being anti-social and akward its actually scary to be around them. People actually acting like they are vampires.

LARP is one thing, can be fun. Thinking you are a fucking vampire is another ball game entirely. For fuck sake dude who was playing a Werewolf barked at people off "stage" and walked about with big fluffy tail.

Imagine the pictures of MLP or Furry convention but with goths and "vampires".

Funnily enough only normal people i meet there was a older dude who played Hunter and actually was a avid hunter IRL, chick playing a nosferatu so this takes balls and guy playing non randum malkavian, he still talks to his bicycle from time to time. We all left for a beer after a while.
Had fun and even played couple sessions together.

Dave, did you personally greenlight all the art in Mage 2e?

What's with the Batrman Rogues Gallery for the Adamantine Arrow art?

>DAT SWOLE JAWA

>We will kill the Batman!

So the more gnosis you have the worse your fashion sense becomes I guess..

What if you have no taste even before Awakening?! My God, the visions! The visions did this!

>he actually bought death sticks

Exarchs confirmed to have the worst fashion sense of any cosmic beings.

>they're also really sensitive about it
>the war is won by a bunch of archmages bullying the exarchs into suicide

Those guys up top look MTG characters from the pre-Weatherlight era

>Batman is the Lie
>Bruce Wayne must save us

How in the hell would Batman save us from a whole race of magical versions of himself?