Why is so much fantasy just Europe or Japan? Other cultures only ever seem to get used as backdrops...

Why is so much fantasy just Europe or Japan? Other cultures only ever seem to get used as backdrops. I feel like a fantasy Ancient Egypt could be really cool.

It's because of racism. People can relate to white cultures, but they don't want to play as black people. Shame - Egypt has long and fascinating history.

We see enough of these "Grrr me hate Europe fantasy" threads so often that I'm convinced it's some sort of secret Illuminati project to make people more accepting of globalism.

Sensitivity towards cultural appropriation has gone too far.

>Why is so much fantasy just Europe or Japan?
Same answer as to every fucking thread with this question you made. People from other regions don't even write any fantasy besides wuxia or you don't know about it.

>Fantasy ancient egypt
>not wildly overdone
Also fuck this new kingdom bullshit. Literally the only time anything ever features Egypt it's the fucking New Kingdom period.

Not enough popular media as reference material.
People go for European or Japanese fantasy for the medieval theme the most because its the ones with the most available source material and the authors most familiar with.
Outside of medieval fantasy, fantasy settings is far more diverse, especially urban, modern or space fantasy settings.
Also, please stop spamming this shitty thread over and over again.

>Something new, guys!
>Ancient Egypt

WE

WILL ROCK YOU

Needs more fantasy Koreans

ARE GIANTS

Should I go with a fantasy Egyptian scarab beetles? Would it be OK, or offensive?

What about fantasy North Koreans?

WUZ

>cultural appropriation
Because having an interest of things beyond the border is badwrong.

It requires an advanced economy to support an industry premised on making useless shit for nerds to consume, so you tend to see these things springing more often from degenerate capitalist countries.

just play GURPS nigger
whats your fucking problem?

I know that GURPS is a meme game over here and nobody actually, you know, plays it, but it used to be a big thing in Russia. Maybe still is, I don't know.

KANGZ

Because the Familiar sells well, and the, I guess familiar exotic, also sells well. Western Culture has a pretty lengthy history of fascination with the far east but not with those fucking slavers right across the med

>Fantasy Egypt
>Not fantasy Rome
>Not fantasy Ancient Greece

>I feel like a fantasy Ancient Egypt could be really cool.

"Alright, so what are the class options?"
"Slave or slaver."
"Okay... well, I want to be a slaver. What's the race options?"
"Only human. You can be black or Jew."
"Oh. I'd rather play D&D."

Pyramids aren't New Kingdom, sir.

Because the historical and economical situation means that those two regions export a lot of culture, plus you're most likely only reading fantasy made in the west for the west.

Lern2Kemet, aNOOBis

it isnt a meme if cou can do basic math what many mericans obviously struggle with

who talks about the new kingdom

>Implying I can't play my woke Nubian God frying the evil white man with cancer from my third eye.

Yu-Gi-Oh used to have some ancient Egyptian stuff, before it got further up its own ass after GX. That's all I can think of at the moment.

That webm's precious

You mean drow?

Man, I really want to ironically play in an Ebonics-Punk Fantasy setting now. How would I do this?

>Why is so much fantasy just Europe or Japan? Other cultures only ever seem to get used as backdrops. I feel like a fantasy Ancient Egypt could be really cool.

Well Fantasy Europe covers a wide variety of cultures with a fairly broad variety of archetypes and variations of those archetypes. It also tends to have a lot of relics and ruins from the Ancient world lying around. Fantasy China, India, Arabia and even Japan tend to be similar in these regards.

And yet nobody fucking likes Mummy: the Curse.
What a surprise.

They're called dark elves.

damn nigga, that's fucking kawaii

there are some versions of the WoD based in the middle east and egypt

do your reserch before you moan

YGO's original lore was rooted in pseudo-magic-egypt.

They've branched out a lot, you've got a motorcycle gang based around different metals working with warriors based around the Chinese zodiac with oversized mecha arm weapons running around smacking jewish robot demons and a white dragon cult.

>I feel like a fantasy Ancient Egypt could be really cool.
Pathfinder tried that and it sucked.

Noteurope sells less than standard fantasy. Only generic systems have enough capital to throw at niche splats. Sometimes people put a lot of work into a niche game, but Veeky Forums tends to shit on them for being weird.

>jewish robot demons
What arc and/or series was that again?

WE

located in surprise, Europe

>Italians and Greeks
>European

>Ebonics-Punk
-punk means low life, right?
Modern Africa + Unknown armies probably

Soft power

srsly nigga

because white people are obsessed with their heritage, so they only ever want to roleplay as faggot athurian legend shit

>GURPS is a meme game
>nobody actually, you know, plays it
Are you fucking insane? The hell you think GURPS GEN is for? To perpetuate the meme?

MtG is doing that in a few months.

>This is what Nordics actually believe
While you guys were living in your huts like a bunch of dirty mexicans, WE were building EVROPA and doing non-degenerate things, like fucking little boys in the ass.

Let me rephrase the question, then. How do I play Ebonics Exalted, with the Yozi replaced with Yakub?

>Waaaaaa, I can't be half-elf kung-fu monk, waaaaaa!
>Better go back to D&D!
Yeah, you fucking should stick to it and never show your ugly mug anywhere at all.

Italians =/= Romans, you stupid cunt. Literal Germanic tribes in Italy.

Yes.

That might be trips, but thats wrong.
People are generally so confused and unknowing about history, that they don't understand how a society or groups of societies could be different.

And because they don't understand, they can't image it.
And because they can't image it, they go like "why go beyond the barebony Faux FrancoBrittain with flavors of Tolkien?"
Which also cause flavors such as:
-Modern mercantilism society
-SLAVERY IS EVIL
-City state are rare, even if they are the most common form of Society
-Churches are guild entities, even with REAL GODS with CHAMPIONS
-Excalibur, but no Carnwennan, Clarent, Seure or Rhongomyniad.

As based as she is, she comes from the only Modern culture that is alien to the rest of the sphere.
Most of Modernia is somewhat similar to Modernia. But NORK shares little of that.
Its like watching a cute version of some explorer talking about Natives, except its unfiltered and in reserve, allowing for things unexpected and far more impacting.

That said, there still exists Pre Modernia and Povertia.

I wish we could stick around Kaladesh.

You're wrong.

Because ancient Egypt has been done to fucking death and comes off as really lame. Its too obvious and too specific, it distracts for everything else.

Greek just gets folded into standard fantasy anyway int he way the gods are usually treated.

Norse has literally never been done right.

Everyone just sort of forgets that mesoamerican or russian mythology is a thing, outside of maybe 'lol aztecs' and 'lol baba yaga'.

No one can touch Hindu mythology without it turning too weird for western audiences to follow.

>he thinks people who regularly visit generals actually play games

Ok racist.

Because people don't research properly. Behold the powers of autism:

>Pic related was my contribution to a wuxia thread. The actual research isn't mine, but of a chinese fa/tg/uy.

>I also made a african fantasy answers thread in the weekend.
>

top kek

>African Fantasy
The MaShona Did Nothing Wrong. 'Ndabele get out REEEEEEE!!!

I play and I visit. So did my entire party and that's how we assembled together. Turns out we were all living within 50 km radius.

Look up the terms "Afrofuturism" and "steamfunk".

Everytime I see a picture like that I'm reminded how there are literally brown asians and europeans in that picture. Literally the same facial structure as you find in say China, Japan, France or Poland. Just with brown skin and black hair.

You intellectually know every non-African is just a mutant African with less melatonin, but you don't realise it until you see some East-African with a regular white-guy face.

Is spelling not important?

If math was the biggest problem for GURPS then I would play it. I have an MA in pure math from UC Berkeley. I can do any math that GURPS might throw at me with no problems. But a far bigger problem (and just one of many problems that are worse than the math) is the bullshit skill system.

It might actually be worse than the cancerous fanbase.

That's just your mental illness user

Ethiopia is a pretty Veeky Forums country

>Mao

The differences are less noticeable, but they're still there. Even east-Africans will have some anatomical differences to Europeans and Asians that go more than skin deep.

And the Somali looks like an inbred psychopath.

I can't say it's inaccurate.

Loads of people play it, and it definitely id huge in Russia.

Bait

I agree. Mummy's Mask was no bueno

I'm sure GURPS has a supplement that will give you exactly what you're looking for.

It's much easier to steal from an established setting

Stfu nigger

Iv'e run a bunch of Fantasy China and Fantasy Arabia campaigns recently, and they went pretty well.

Currently in the initial stages of researching for Fantasy Polynesian setting.

Just as a major Disney movie based on Polynesian myth came out, so now I look like a bandwagoning hack. Oh well them's the breaks

>every non-African is just a mutant African with less melatonin
How can whitey even sleep at night knowing this?

>steamfunk

Actually doesn't look that bad.
You could spin it as the oppressed wearing the cast-offs of a cogfop society

"Russian mythology" has no more independent existence than, say, Danish mythology. It's Slavic, not Russian.

Sure there are differences.

But you can see where each non-African group came from in Africa. That's just crazy man.

Not once in my entire life have I ever seen or heard anyone even intimate that non-european settings for RPGs is cultural appropriation. First-hand seeing it or hearing people talk about it happening.

Never. Not once.

But anyway, mainly because it's what we know. The average D&D nerd doesn't know much about other settings and would have trouble replicating them without making it a dumb caricature.

ay holda-uppa a minute, wise guy, is youse sayin we wus romans n shiet?

He said Europe or Japan. You are just /pol/tarded.

Are Vikingaboos the most delusional people to ever live? They are.

You intellectually know every human is just a mutant chimp with less hair and short toes, but you don't realise it until you see some human with a regular chimp-guy face.

>Literally the same facial structure as you find in say China, Japan, France or Poland
Ignorance: the post.

>Why is so much fantasy just Europe or Japan?
Because almost all countries where contemporary fantasy is popular are European or of European heritage. Only Japan is an exception, which in turn highly influences the West due to their disproportional soft power (especially in media influence, and especially in vidya. They practically defined the electronic RPG). The fact that Japan has also been an Asian outlier ever since the Meiji restoration created Western fascination with that country (weeabooism is about 200 years old, except in the early days only rich Frenchmen did it, it was socially acceptable and it was called "Orientalism").

How many more times do we have to repeat this same fucking question?

Because fairy tales about knights, princesses, etc are fairly ingrained into the popular consciousness, most people would need to look up a guide to imagine what a egyptian soldier would have looked like, most people can only really imagine the sickle wielding troops from "prince of egypt", where as saying knight will conjure up a very vivid images of plate armored, horse riding, chivalrous warriors

because people already have an idea of what to expect, its a lot easier to reel them into it, if you say "would you like to be a charioteer" they wont have a notion of what that might be like, where as saying "would you like to be a knight" will quickly give them a concrete character to work with

Yeah mah grekka. We wuz makin' culture and IMPERIUM and sheit!

I am quite sure there is a Stargate pen and paper rpg.

fuck really? what's it called?

Auran Empire campaign setting has analogues for some near-east cultures.

Testament takes place in biblical areas, so mostly near-east.

Pendragon has modules that take you to the holy land.

The Conan universe has a lot of africa and middle-east in it. It's pretty darn racist, but Conan goes to those places often and cool shit happens there.

You also have american fantasy like the wild/weird west. >inb4 murica suxlol

I mean, this is one of the many straws of hay that got Trump elected. The whole "You can't enjoy things made by PoC or partake in activities also enjoyed by them, but PoC can still wear jeans, use cellphones, appreciate all the modern advancements created by European Peoples" Stuff. You don't see it much in the real world, but it's like a toxic cloud of poison in college that is very VERY annoying.