The Round Table is King Arthur's famed table in the Arthurian legend, around which he and his Knights congregate

>The Round Table is King Arthur's famed table in the Arthurian legend, around which he and his Knights congregate.
>As its name suggests, it has no head, implying that everyone who sits there has equal status.

I mean, sure, yeah, but the King still has a seat, right?

Then surely the seat to his direct right has much more status attached to it than any other seat.

And even if the King changes seats every time they sit, the position to his right is still the seat of greater status, no?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HHtIW3p554A
smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/not-all-knights-round-table-were-white-180949361/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>no love for left chair

It's the principle of the thing. You can't ever entirely avoid hierarchy, but structurally it's a lot less obvious with a round table than with a more conventional one.

Of course not, that's nearest to the left hand, the shit-wiping hand

The worst spots would be second to next to the king. When you sit opposite, the king can talk to you face to face. If you are next to the king, he can turn to look at you. But if you are second to next, the guy next to him is in the way. So the kng has to make an extra effort to look at you and might not bother.

This exact issue comes up in The Once and Future King, I believe.

I'll bet that's where they stuck Kay.

No, the seat that had the most status attached to it was Galahad's seat, since it was magical and killed anyone who tried to sit in it other than him.

It was also inscribed with "Reserved for the coolest, most badass knight ever".

Siege perilous was the special seat.

youtube.com/watch?v=HHtIW3p554A

Which is why King Arthur in the original French tale never sat at the table, he sat at his own throne separate from the Knights.

The Knights were equals to each other (which gets some Knights like Lancey all pissy because they think they deserve more), but to expect their King to sit among them is too much, the King is clearly above the Knights.

What if they all wore masks for as long as they're seated around the table?

Too bad Galahad was a fuckwit and didn't actually get the grail despite it being paraded in front of him.

Why?

>I mean, sure, yeah, but the King still has a seat, right?
At the table his seat is no more important than any other. He can order people as a king when at court or from his throne room, but at the round table his words are weighed as those of any other knight.

>Which is why King Arthur in the original French tale never sat at the table
>in the original French tale
>the original French
>original
>FRENCH
I have caught flame with fury.
Fucking Lancelot fanfiction frog.

Then you can't tell king from knight, and everyone gets an equal voice.

We can all TELL it's you Kay you're 8 foot tall and sound like thunder on a mountain and literally steam when it rains

>I have caught flame with fury.

Bless you user, but you must realize, it's fanfiction all the way down.

>tfw someone forgot to move the Siege Perilous before the game of musical chairs

>Rounde and Ronde yon Table Rounde
>The brachet chased the minstrel
>The minstrel thought it was all in goode fun
>Pop goeth the buboes

The answer is obvious-- he sits cross-legged in the center of the table, and makes uncomfortable amounts of eye-contact with his knights. Whenever they address him directly, he leans close enough to feel their breath on his beard.

Why would it rain indoors?

You tell us Kay, since apparently that's another thing you can do

Do what? Make it rain indoors, or explain the phenomenon of indoor rainfall?

>And even if the King changes seats every time they sit, the position to his right is still the seat of greater status, no?
Not necessarily
>Each knight has an item (eg. a helmet or a name tag)
>Someone without bias sets up the items to choose the seating (eg. someone who doesn't know whose helmets are whose or someone illiterate for the name tag idea)
>Knights who sit next to the king sit next to him based purely on chance

>Before Cai's birth, Cynyr Ceinfarfog prophesied that his son's heart would be eternally cold, that he would be exceptionally stubborn and that no one would be able to brave fire or water like him. Cai is attributed with a number of further superhuman abilities, including the ability to go nine days and nine nights without the need to breathe or to sleep, the ability to grow as "tall as the tallest tree in the forest if he pleased" and the ability to radiate supernatural heat from his hands. Furthermore, it is impossible to cure a wound from Cai's sword.

Prince of the plunder,
The unrelenting warrior to his enemy;
Heavy was he in his vengeance;
Terrible was his fighting.
When he would drink from a horn,
He would drink as much as four;
When into battle he came
He slew as would a hundred.
Unless God should accomplish it,
Cei's death would be unattainable.
Worthy Cei and Llachau
Used to fight battles,
Before the pain of livid spears [ended the conflict].
On the top of Ystarfingun
Cei slew nine witches.
Worthy Cei went to Ynys Mon
To destroy lions.
Little protection did his shield offer
Against Palug's Cat

this is why you have the king sit in the center of the table, preferably on a slowly rotating seat so he doesn't face towards only one knight

Well, the king said, "all who sit at this table are sequel," so no. He said so, and he's the King. That's literally how being the King works.

>based purely on chance

Mother fucker, we're talking about Christian Knights here.

Nothing happens by chance, it happens by the will of God.

That illiterate peasant put Sir Kay's nametag next to the King's because it was God's will that Sir Kay receive the most honor by sitting to the right of the King.

Old British knights of the round table were literally the Justice League.

I'd make a joke about not being able to remember the time Batman cuckolded Superman but then I remember

>DC
and figure it probably happened.

Because we're in England. It rains everywhere.

But what's Arthurs tax policy?

>Everyone shit-talking Kay
>So everyone forgets all about Balin and how he ruined Britain so much that the Knights of the Round had to get the Holy Grail, setting the stage for Arthur's eventual end

Never Trust Balin

Kneel before the King.

Looks like a girl, so surely you meant Queen?

Or is this another case of Japan "Draw a girl, call it a boy" Trap-design?

>The Knights were equals to each other (which gets some Knights like Lancey all pissy because they think they deserve more),

You... You do realize the chairs have fancy magical engravings that show who has which seat, and one of them *does* say THE PUREST OF KNIGHTS or THE GREATEST KNIGHT?

Lancelot LITERALLY HAS A SEAT THAT SAYS HE'S THE BESTEST.

Mah boy Balin would've never had to give the dolorous stroke if that fucking invisi-knight wasn't ganking all his friends.

He lived a hard life.

Nope. In Japan, King Arthur is a girl.

I see. Is there not a japanese word to translate Queen and they use King for both genders?

You know, I'm honestly quite impressed with Japan's veracity at tearing into Western mythology like this, in many respects they view it as a positive thing because they're getting to use the literary heritage of another culture.

No, it's explicit that King Arthur was a girl who concealed her gender, and that's why everyone thinks she was a man in life.

She also had a dick, which she knew how to use.

Merlin thought it would be funny to give it to her.

You know what he could've done instead of giving the fucking dolorous stroke?

Wait until Invisi-knight wasn't in the fucking castle of his crazy brother and challenge him to combat away from the Lance.

Not that Balin can think a day ahead, apparently he can't even think a minute ahead, seeing as how he used the Lance in the first place.

Something like this.

Is the land/settlement/population under attack from Picts/Saxons/magical creatures? If the answer is no, leave it be and keep taxes either low or nonexistent. If yes, proceed to tax the everloving fuck out the specific place/group of people which is under attack, and don't lower the tax rates either until the threat is pushed back or until there's nothing left to tax.

This is a brilliant policy.

>French

CHRETTIENNE GO TO BED, YOU SNAIL-SCARFING CODPIECE.

You think Balin had *time* to think about all that? All he knew was the invisi-knight was at a banquet for some asshole, and when he killed the invisi-knight the asshole tried to kill him, and in clear self-defense to everyone observing Balin bonked him on the head with that cursed sword and it exploded.

So what was he supposed to do? Die? He spent minutes running around that castle looking for a weapon, it's not his fault he wandered into a room with a spear laying on some bed!

HE LIVED A HARD LIFE!

>mfw the frogs do a better job telling your cultural epic than the natives

Ok, Kay had superpowers, I know Gawain had some superpowers, who else? At what point do they stop getting powers?

Is there a list or should I check one by one in wikipedia?

>Is there a list or should I check one by one in wikipedia?

King Pellinore had balls of steel, if that counts.

Hey, so I've got Le Morte De Arthur from my Barnes & Noble Collectable Edition and King Arthur and His Lnights by Howard Pyle. Are there any other titles based of Arthurian legend that I should look into? I have The Once & Future King by T.H. White if that's a suggestion, but I haven't finished it yet.

Fate Stay/Night by Kinoku Nasu

Balin wasn't a knight of the round table though. Even a British king has standards.

Heh. In a novel series I've read, a Prime Minister of a corrupt government brought in a round table for cabinet meetings to avoid people seeming preferential.

Then the foreign secretary brought in a thick dark-wood throne for his seat.

So the prime minister had to bring in a big gilt rose throne for himself.

And so on.

I think Lancelot canonically had every superpower.

Percival had Hulk-level strength, and everybody had either a faerie-made sword or shield. Or both.

Tristan and Dinadan both had ridiculous "sing-a-bird-out-of the-trees" bard skills.

Kay would apparently light on fire on occasion.

King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table by Roger Llancelyn Green

All of the Squire's Tale/Parsifal's Page series by Gerald Morris

Howard Pyle's Tales of King Arthur and his Knights

The old Brown, Green, and Red Fairy Books.

They're secretly communists.

Now I want to run a campaign about an order of Marxist knights fighting for the rights of the working class against their fellow noblemen.

Properly speaking according to the rules of etiquette and protocol, the head of the table is whatever seat faces the main entrance to the room. The round table did, actually, have a head.

Well, actually, they use "Tenno" to refer to an Emperor of either gender (and correspondingly the Japanese head of state is called the Emperor in English regardless of gender). However they certainly understand the concept in principle.

It's just they decided it would be better if Arthur was instead a girl.

And it worked out very well for them.

I really need to find that stick figure head with its eyes rolled up and its mouth open in a wild guffaw with the speech bubble "HAH!" attached, because fuck would I get a lot of use out of it. I have no idea what the damn thing is called, though.

To even begin to extract the original islander myths from Le Morte D'Arthur in the minds of everyday discourse at this point would be an exercise in futility and frustration and, frankly, the English of the period embraced the French versions anyways.

Waifu fags ruin everything

It also gave us Scathach.

Did someone say KING ARTHUR?

Didn't this end up ruining Type Moon as now there are a gorillian Saber clones running around

I didn't vote for you.

>ruining Type Moon
Don't think they've ever been richer.

Arturia Pendragon
Arturia Pendragon (Alter)
Arturia Pendragon (Hana no Miyako)
Devil Saber
Galactica Saber
Gray
Goddess of Rhongomyniad
Hungry Saber
Jeanne d'Arc
Jeanne d'Arc (Alter)
King Saber
Lancer Artoria
Lancer Artoria (Alter)
Master Artoria
Mordred
Mysterious Heroine X
Mysterious Heroine X Alter
Nero
Nero (Bride)
Okita Souji
Rider Santa Alter
Saber Lily
Saber Lion
Swimsuit Artoria
Swimsuit Mordred
Ultra Heroine Z

There might be more

>forgetting my homeboys Sir Palamedes and Sir Morien

smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/not-all-knights-round-table-were-white-180949361/

They could probably introduce a character at this point whose special ability is Unlimited Saber Works.

>Marxist knights fighting for the rights of the working class against their fellow noblemen.
They do this by killing all the townsmen and yoeomen instead of the actuality exploitive nobles, correct?

Found the capitalist lapdog. Probably would also support Mordred.

You call me a lapdog but I'm not the one killing workers who have achieved small margins of success at the behest of the people actually oppressing him.

The pattern is the workers let the blood of their slight slightly more successful peers at the behest of (a) privileged organiser/s, to usher in an era of mutual poverty under the rule of the children of privilege who agitated them.

That's what success looks like. Most of the time it's actually the children of privilege killing workers themselves because they can't get the workers to "cast off their chains" (accept the mutual poverty).

Marx was a fool.

Marx was an idealist whose ideas were manipulated into poor usage by the ambitious and the equally idealistic.

So, yeah, pretty much.

Marx's understanding of human nature was fundamentally flawed and colored by his own very privileged existence.

His ideas fall apart in execution because their foundation is sand.

God wouldn't give sir Kay any honor if every other person on earth decided to worship Satan while molesting children of the same sex.

Honestly you can't go wrong with a good translation of Chretien de Troyes. The Knight with the Lion and his Story of the Grail are especially good (even though the Story of the Grail is unfinished).

>Scathach

isn't she supposed to be the old warrior lady who trained cu chulainn?

Unless you have a grandma fetish, I prefer Japan version more.

What do you think 'idealist' means?

you meant "Reserved for the fucking virgin"

I'd second Knight of the Lion, it's a very classical Arthurian style story. Great stuff.

It doesn't have to mean "completely out of touch". Often it just means unwilling to compromise.

Yeah welcome to every theory on human behavior. The only thing you can count on is people being contrarian and irrational.

Not really. So far everyone just went to state capitalism, called it communism and declared he was done.
Marx thought the change away from capitalism would happen far faster. That was not true but does not make him a complete fool.

Why does shit from japan always suck so much?

I think the concept of "First Among Equals" would apply. When the King is at the Round Table, he wishes everyone to speak to him as an equal. He wants to hear their thoughts and opinions, not as subjects, but as comrades in arms. While there will always be some degree of deference, and his opinion will obviously carry more weight than, say, some random upstart, the Round Table still serves the purpose of allowing the knights to speak truth to power without fear of dishonoring their King by not showing proper deference to his position.

His idea was actually pretty good. For small groups. Of very, VERY alike people. It breaks down when you introduce more than 150 or so.

The Soviet system, though, that was a really novel idea. Inject some controls to keep leadership from behaving like EVERY HUMAN THAT EVER ATTAINS POWER and you have a representative democracy; biggest difference from modernity being instead of fragmenting along party and regional identity lines, it forms blocs by industry.

Surprise surprise, oil and finance still dominate.

An unwillingness to compromise frequently demonstrates pretty clearly that you're completely out of touch.

And Arthur in the original one true welsh and breton isn't THE king, he's one of many petty kings.

The Chretien de Troyes/Mallory version of things is 100% a reflection on their own times. Half of the CdT version is a Roman a clef about life at the Plantagenet court.

That's because it wasn't a cultural epic for the welsh and bretons, it was past history of the last thousand years.

The Four Branches is a lot closer to being a cultural epic.

>I meant the english
It's not your fucking cultural epic either, invadershit

Only because they were French and had colonised and traumatized the Anglo-Saxon population.

FUCKING CHRETIEN REEEEE

I'm pretty sure that actually is the power of tbe joke profile for the series artist

Mordred technically had a more sound claim to the throne. None of what he did was particularly outrageous or unusual for his time period. We just villify him because he opposed Arthur, whose positive qualities are more informed than demonstrated. The further back you go the thinner evidence that Arthur actually was a good King gets

>Arthur's throne is a lazy Susan