Worldbuilding time, what alcohol, drugs, etc. does your world have? Ideas?

Worldbuilding time, what alcohol, drugs, etc. does your world have? Ideas?

Grimwyrd
Bloodroot; exotic extraplanar plant that thrives off of mana, and if ferterlized with it, the souls of the recently dead. Consuming raw plant juice/blood imbues you will enhanced powers of your innate magic. Over-consumption or over-dependence on it will curve your own personal diet into only accepting more bloodroot

Bloodwine: A derived liquor of sorts made from boiling and fermenting bloodroot juice. Highly addictive. Euphoric effect on consumption. Highly volatile, explosive, and flammable

Bloodstones; Produced from the thaumatological refinement of bloodroot hearts, a knapped stone can be used to empower a powerstone (storing mana for later use by mages) or otherwise tapping into the spirit realm to bond with one of it's natives. Often connects to demonic influences due to coincidence and fate, which results in those exposed to the wills of demons to fall to baser instincts and animalistic desires(food, fornication, fun)

Long Grass; Sweet Amber

Brought in by foreign traders about 400 years ago. Looks like dried, long blades of grass, with amber-like sticky material along the veins. The plant itself is a mystery and doesn't grow in these parts.

The drug is finely chopped and smoked for euphoric effect, typically via a large hookah. There is little danger associated with its use but inherent scarcity makes it somewhat hard to get without getting involved in shady business. Rumours say that the local merchant lord recently sent an expedition to the land of Long Grass, hoping to bring back a viable plant and establish growing operations.

>Drugs
Honestly, healing potions in my world are considered a tame drug, like caffeine and sugar, but if you get hooked on it you start to develop a magical illness called Hue Flu. Normally it only comes up when wizards and mages either try to cast a spell they don't have the mana for(or suddenly spend it all in one go) and they're stuck puking out iridescent bile for their turn. What's worse is that healing potions are crafted through alchemy, which in my setting is based on Victorian pharmacies. You'd be getting different stores stocking what they'd consider a healing potion, all in varying quality.

On another note, people who don't have the time, intelligence, or wealth to invest in magic education can buy a pack of Zippy Doos, cantrip cigarettes, in order to get a feel of harmless magic at their fingertips. Of course, there are other brands that'll give the consumer much stronger spells at their fingertips. But this comes at a cost of your lungs becoming Star Clogged, where you start to cough up some black, glittery mucus, alongside eventual weakness and constant chills. These types are more of a controlled substance and are prohibited in normal shops. If a wizarding student is seen smoking these while attending school, they could be outright expelled from the campus. I have other ideas, but they aren't all that fleshed out yet.

Its called 'A Friend' basically the beer of the Ultratech city its in. You walk in sad and alone. And thr bartender offers 'A friend' and it helps make you feel better.
Derogeree (unsure on spelling thats phonetic) very crazy chaotic booze from same city. You order a type. Pick a word and the affects are based on letters in it. Some are better then others. I dont have the list sadly.

Power. Nasty drug. Gives immense power for a short time. Then it drains you so far into the negative it eventually consumes you. Made from human life force and insanely addictive besides needing it to preserve yourself.

Dont know if it counts. In lore it does. The Safe. A big safe with a chain. Its heavy and has properties that make everyone who sees it instantly fight to the death over it. Huge power struggle over owning thr chain and being able to drag it.

If this is an impromptu worldbuilding thread, I have a question: how rare are the rarest creatures in your setting? My setting has five sets of rare "mega-magical" beings and I want to know how expensive should components and items made from their carcasses would be, while also evaluating the threat levels for half-breeds of those creatures. Like dragon ivory, unicorn skin, thunderbird feathers, sphinx fur, stuff like that.

Depends on how high fantasy you want it to be, really. If those mega magical beings actually exist as living breathing species and not unique creatures/ spirits and there is powerful magic and technology available, it's not too outlandish that at some point someone has tried to capture or tame them.

You could have a brutal industrial unicorn farm, where horribly inbred unicorns are raised in captivity and skinned a little every day or something equally horrible, just because some hero or wizard-enterpreneur managed to capture enough breeding stock in the wild.

Mega-rare magical components shouldn't be a part of every day spells. If an average wizard can cast a spell, the ingredients are probably reasonably easy to get else the spell wouldn't exist.

It makes more sense to use these extra rare components as a bonus spell component - a lit phoenix tail feather would maximize any fire spell cast with it. Or add +5 caster levels. Or do whatever similar effect your system might have.

I'd say maybe 5-10 per continent for things like dragons. I'm kind of pulling that number out of the air it's just i can't imagine there being enough biomass to sustain an enormous carnivorous creature.

Also I think having more would force heavy conflict with the sentient races. Either through the monster eating livestock or citizens or demanding back breaking quantities of treasure. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Well, when I say components for spell making, those are typically for powerful wizards to cast powerful magic they normally couldn't cast by themselves. Otherwise the majority of the body would either be donated for magical research or stripped clean for crafting magical items, weapons, armour, potions and the like. But say out of a couple hundred of a species, a total of ten or twenty have only been killed so far. How prevelent would you consider those items to be, and who would make sense to have them on hand?

Magical VR?

Direct electrical stimulation of pleasure centres in the brain via the spine or cortex?

Blue lotus?

Rottar, colloquially known as black leaf or simply black, is a powerful, potent, and deadly drug that is highly regulated and controlled. Using a special process, the drug is created by combining ashen sand, a root from a plant known as raugberry, and, most importantly, the leaves of the ackle plant, a short, bushy, and dark brown plant. The drug itself takes an almost tar-like appearance, looking almost like black mud with finely ground and burned leaves in it. It's widely considered to have little if any medical application. Rather, it's used recreationally for it's euphoric and hallucinogenic effects.
The drug is consumed primarily by smoking it out of a pipe or rolled in paper or tobacco, but it can also be consumed orally, although with much greater side effects. After consumed, the drug causes the user to feel mentally "improved." They're more sociable, attentive, energetic, euphoric, intelligent, and perceptive. Visual hallucinations are common and generally take the form of rapidly changing colors in the environment, usually different shades of purple, blue, and grey. This phenomenon is noted in users who are otherwise normally colorblind. Users physical reaction times slow and physical fatigue and weariness are the major side effects despite mental stimulation. Nausea is also another side effect, it being worse when consumed orally rather than when inhaled.

The drug takes only 5-10 minutes to take effect after being smoked and 30 minutes to an hour after being ingested. Effects last for about four hours. Rottar is highly addictive, resulting in both physical and mental addiction. Withdrawal is often deadly for even short-term addicts. Organ failure is the most common way to die from withdrawal. Other side effects of withdrawal are increased sensitivity to pain, depression, short and long term memory loss, constipation, shortness of breath, and muscular atrophy.

Proponents of the drug say that it helps improve their creativity, their overall mood, and energy levels. There's also a relatively large religious group, The Faugs, who use Rottar in ceremonies relating to the communion with their gods.

NDE, normally just called "indy," is a Dwarven drug made from leaves of the Ancestor bush mixed with mummified flesh and crushed into powder. Its effects come in two identified phases: the survival rush, and the death.

The survival rush takes effect immediately and puts the user into fight or fight mode. The body thinks it's going to die, and users get a huge spike in energy and strength, at the cost of turning off nonvital functions, being more likely to injure themselves, and severe paranoia if no threats are immediately apparent. The death is the Near Death Experience the drug is named for. It kicks in a minute (give or take) after the rush, and puts the user in a deathlike coma wherein they see the light and dead relatives, plus possibly a god or psychopomp for a few hours, minimum one. Then they wake up with seemingly no ill effects, but using it more than once a day or ODing can and will make the death actually kill you.

Mechanically, it also allows the use of "desperation" skills that activate at low hitpoints even if the user is at full health.

Marijuana
-4 will saves, +2 wis, 0 addiction

Dammit, I keep waiting for this to come out, I want it so bad.

Oh, and I might as well post this before somebody asks what's up with that cover:

Random drugs based on D&D Alignment system I just came up with.

>Nielsson Crystals
Causes a brief but intense religious experience with any deities the user may be connected to. Gods are not generally disturbed by the experience but may react negatively if it is in their nature. Quite rare.

>Harmonex
White powder, sometimes pressed into pills. The process for creating it takes a lot of skill and some magic, but a very high amount of it can be made at once. Causes increased empathy and intelligence for 4-8 hours. Taken at dance parties. A large group of users overdosing together causes them to fuse together into a giant neon-colored monster until the end of the effects.

>Rampage Brew
Also slightly alcoholic, this inexpensive foul green sludge made by druids and rangers has two stages. First, for a couple of hours it causes inhibitions to fall, as well as a burst of physical strength. Then the user is overtaken by a desire to sit and contemplate their actions, and this contemplation inevitably drifts in to sleep.

>Pickled Frog's Teeth
Pretty much made of what it sounds like. Widely available and popular party drug, causes a lack of inhibition, sleepiness, hunger, and pain the next morning. Long-term use causes brain damage; rumored to have been designed by devils to keep the population docile. Actually, it was designed by a court wizard for that purpose at the request of her sovereign some thousand years ago.

>con't next post

>Oopsie Dasies
This naturally powerful flower reverses all of the effects of gravity on the user for exactly 3 minutes and 20 seconds. Taking more extends the effect, but does not change the intensity.

>Soul-Stealing Wine
A magical concoction, but not a terribly difficult one to make, as far as these things go. Anyone who drinks Soul-Stealing Wine is drunk as if with regular wine, but possesses the body of the previous person to drink the wine for the duration of the effect. A secret society of merchants tried to use this effect to send information about the changes in prices back in time, however they kept getting accidentally possessed by people in parties across the multiverse, and so their scheme failed.

>Hierarchicombs
Bee-keepers who use feed their hives with a specific secret combination of herbs and flowers can remove whole chunks of the hive to create Hierarchicombs. When eaten, they turn all guilt and humiliation in to joy. The effect lasts for multiple days, but they are expensive. It is a popular drug among the homeless and mentally ill.

>Bottled Joy
Any sufficiently stealthy being with an empty joy bottle can fill it up by stealing the happiness from someone else's moment. This can make an engagement proposal into a mundane event, and an orgasm into a bodily sneeze. The joy can then be sold on the open market, ideally without telling the user the damage inflicted in its harvesting.

>Slaad Hash
The outer-coating of a slaad is well-known for its psychoactive properties, however few beings are actually insane enough to harvest and refine it. If for some reason one should eat, smoke or shoot this foul-smelling goop, the user enters in to an uncontrollable violent rampage that they retain no memory of. For three days. Almost nobody who has tried it claims to have enjoyed the effects, however, for some reason people keep on trying it.

>Oopsie Dasies

Best taken indoors, unless you know a featherfall spell huh?

One of my nomadic races' delicacies is filling a freshly slaughtered goats rumen with wild berries, milk and water. After a two weeks of fermentation they strain the contents into their waterskins. It is then drunk as standard beverage, complementing most meals and during pastimes.

Or if you want to get from the bottom of a cliff or tower to the top, maybe.

Consider that it said "reverses the effects of gravity." That would be like getting to the bottom of those things by jumping off the top. [splat!]

Still, probably fun to walk around on the ceiling and look up at the guys on the floor.

The idea would be you'd fall up, gravity would reverse in mid-air, come to a stop slightly above the top, then have a short hop down from your gravitational perspective onto the surface you were aiming for. I'll admit I might have grossly misunderstood the timescale and this might need a really tall tower.

At acceleration of ~8 meters/ second... assuming the normal terminal velocity still applies, you'd be pretty high up after 3 minutes and 20 seconds. Like at least a mile.

Also if you were to have it sold (or allowed it to be packaged) in set doses who's duration would correspond to different heights that'd help the mechanics and reduce the "well how much did you drink?" "How tall is the [obstacle player wants to go over]?" situations. Puts more responsibility on the players.

This is where a very long rope with a very heavy grappling hook comes handy...

>Cannabis
The drug of choice in the heartlands where it has been cultivated throughout history. The trade of cannabis remains outlawed in most heartland kingdoms and its usage is designated for religious purposes. Elsewhere it is typically illegal.

>Jedkah
A form of mint closely related to catnip. Jedkah is brewed into tea or smoked like tobacco, providing mild relaxation and euphoria.

>Shed
A dense and sticky resin or tar formed from packing and burning large amounts of Shedas Grass. A ball enough for a dose takes multiple handfuls of grass to produce. This tar is nearly impossible to wash off and the revolting smell easily sticks for days. Smoking a gram of shed is enough to get the effects, which include stress relief, mental numbing, pain relief, euphoria, and fatigue. Users become highly addicted and develop dissociation and profound itching that can only be partially eased by shed. The drug is most common among slaves and other poor manual laborers. Some slaves are given shed intentionally as it permanently weakens the brain and body.

>Valk Root
A hallucinogenic plant spread across northern regions that has been used medicinally for centuries. It is typically made into an earthy bitter tea. Consumption causes intense muscle relaxation and pain relief leading into mild hallucinations before falling asleep. It is not as addictive as shed or cannabis but it can leave regular users highly dissociated from reality and drowsy.

Dàra is a catch-all term for alcoholic beverages made out of yeast and plant matter from 0,1% to around 10%. Beer, mead, cider, and most wine falls into this category. There is no regulation on the purity of said beverages or their ingredients, so you might actually come across grain beer flavored with apples and honey or a thousand other variations.
Most drugs of our world or variations thereof exist and they directly influence ability to cast and the likelihood to succumb to spells. Bards and witches are known to use marihuana, druids and shamans use peyote and psilocybin, wizards use LSD, and warlocks and clerics use DMT.

Big ass toxic Hurricane in the shape of horses rampaged across Florida. Bright side is some people gathered up the left over gas and synthesized to be vapable.

I want a new drug. One that won't make me sick. Something that won't make me stay up all night or sleep all day.

Not a drug per say but if you hold your breath long enough you can sleep forever.

It's produced via glands inside your body, and you just have to workout to access it!

It's all the same drugs that exist today.

The only differences with today is that everything is legal, and advances in science means that it's easy to create your own drugs production.

Just engineer a tomato plant to produce say, ketamine in its fruit.

I used to believe that runners high was bullshit, until I started cycling.

Cycle hard enough for long enough, and fuck man, you'll get hiiiiiigh as fuck. Won't last as long as real weed, but exercise will get you stoned as a motherfucker.

Growing apricots laced with peyote ... holy fuck i'd be off my fucking head all day

Mainly the same drugs that exist today, but they look better. for instance, cigarette brands sell cigarettes that glows in different colors (the smoke is also colored).
the only drug i "invented" is just a concentrated hologram gas (a gas that changes color depending on the magnetic field strength / direction it's in) usually the gas is in pretty low amount in holograms but if you breathe only this gas you can get pretty high.
the last one isn't really a drug, but people with augments in their brain and other glands can override their system to get a flooded with dopamine and other neurotransmitter / hormones. or, they can just willingly glitches their brain to get stupid for a bit, just like with alcohol.

i just like the idea of a futuristic society where junkies smoke rainbows with a hookah.

I need 16 words to help me randomize some tribes and their features for a post apoc sci fi. Please.

That one fucking nigger that is alright with a little white boy calling him nigger Jim

Could ask in the OSR thread, they like post-apoc and there's a guy who hangs out there sometimes who's always making random tables.

Gnomes living at the border between a theocratic empire and a loose federation of smaller kingdoms that are just barely hanging in there because of geography, strong trade, and being too much of a hassle to invade and not causing enough problems to warrant it.

Anyway, Gnomes, alchemists mostly, who basically grow all kinds of plants that mess with your head, refine them, then smuggle it over the border to the mob bosses on the empire side who distribute it along their own channels.

All the hallucinogenics, psychedelics, dissociatives, deliriants, opioides, stimulants, depressants, you name it, they could hook you up with it. Or invent it if it didn't exist already.

Seriously, just go on a wiki-walk starting at "drug" and be inspired. There're so many real-life plants that can get you high there's no need to invent fictional ones as well.

It's a real pity that game with the gnomes never got off the ground. I would've liked to be a drug-dealer adventurer.

It's same thing with weightlifting, too. When Arnold was saying that every time he lifts, he feels like cumming, he wasn't really lying.

... and once you consider that drugs generally work by stimulating production of endorphins, which is the "feel good" chemical naturally produced by your body...

What the fuck is this guy's name again. I keep forgetting.

>Blood Beer
Bought at a tavern, typically a dark stout with a coppery finish. Most of the blood beer sold in commercial establishments is an imitation created by mixing small amounts of chicken blood with regular stout or ale.

Real blood beer is brewed mostly from the saliva, suet, pancreas, and blood of goblin cattle. With the addition of sugar, the various components contain enough natural fats and starches to begin the process of fermentation. Goblin society does not consider blood beer a socially appropriate beverage - its stench and rank taste make for poor drinking, although some older goblins swear the stuff increases life expectancy and lends strength to weary muscles. Many goblins prefer the "humanized" blood beer to the original. It was brewed originally for survival in the barren caverns of Geruch.

>ferterlized

Gondola
Check the threads on they're pretty chill