What video games do you like to play? What makes a game good in the eyes of Veeky Forums?

what video games do you like to play? What makes a game good in the eyes of Veeky Forums?

In my mind, there's a pretty sizeable gap between video-game-the-average-Veeky Forums-poster-would-like and just regular sci-fi/fantasy games. Can't put my finger on it though. Not sure if it's crunchier mechanics, or more focus on story, but there are some games that feel distinctly Veeky Forums to me, and some that definitely don't, regardless of setting.

What are some games you'd recommend to fellow Veeky Forums posters?

Where is that skill tree from?

>inb4 classic blunder

Path of Exile

Dorf fortress. Fucking love it when my dwarves dig too deeply and greedily, and then I have to flood my entire base with magma "in case of emergencies"

Games like Divinity, Shadow-run, Banner Saga, Baldurs Gate, and Pillars of Eternity all bear similarities to the table top games that people like here.

Their quality overall is a bit hit or miss, but I think they're the closest to what Veeky Forums likes to play.

>In b4 those games are inaccurate/bad/casual/REEE. Whatever, I was just trying to answer his question.

Aight. So, for the all the large red circles, are those Keystones, or clusters like the Claw, Dagger, Axe, Sword, Bow, etc, circles?

Would you say you enjoy that game for the crunchiness of the mechanics, or for the open-endedness of gameplay, or for the narrative freedom? Or some combination?

Those games certainly have similar mechanics to tabletop roleplaying games (the ones I'm familiar with at least), but do you guys enjoy games that aren't "tabletop ports"? What about action games? I know Dark Souls is popular here (and just about everywhere else), is that because it's a gritty fantasy game, or because of what it does with its narrative?

I play almost exclusively competitive multiplayer games. Titanfall 2 and For Honor are my squeezes right now. I wouldn't describe either of them as giving me particularly "Veeky Forums" vibes, though I do have a kind of passing interest in running a game set in the Titanfall universe--mostly just to scratch my mech itch.

I imagine that outside of the obvious (we all presumably like traditional games here), it'll be hard to pin down a distinct flavor of game. There are certainly games like the ones that have already been mentioned, which draw heavily from the hobby, but I'm not sure if that makes them "Veeky Forums" games either. That's a hard thing to define, really.

Then you've got tabletop games that went the other way round, which exist in settings that originated in media outside of Veeky Forums--things like the handful of Star Wars games, or the Marvel roleplaying games. Does that mean that video games based on those properties are more Veeky Forums-related by association, regardless of whether it's KOTOR or Battlefront? Spiderman 2 or Marvel vs Capcom? The actual content of those games runs the gamut.

True, Veeky Forums people don't only play Veeky Forums games.

A different question then, for those of you who enjoy narrative, what impresses you in video games, what are some of your favorite video game plots?

I play nearly every stealth game that comes out. Something about hiding in the shadows, tinkering a plan together and executing it in a tacticool way really work for me.

What I can recommend is the new prison break DLC for Deus Ex MD. This whole Mission must probably be one of the best if not the best thing I played in such games. The Breach levels are also quite nice.

One under-the-radar hit from the last years I can recommend is "Styx - Master Of Shadows". Playing a goblin assassin is just awesome.

Besides that I play a shitload of XCOM 2 with the Long War mod. Epic, just epic.

Mostly 4x and GSG, in all honesty, with a good bit of RTS.

>What are some games you'd recommend to fellow Veeky Forums posters?
Master of Orion 2
Sword of the Starts (the first one, with all expansions. DO NOT get the sequel)
Sins of a Solar Empire
Supreme Commander and its expac (DO NOT get the sequel)
Homeworld
Rebel Galaxy is pretty fun, but isn't hard at all.

I think fa/tg/uys and particularly GM fa/tg/uys develop a sixth sense when it comes to video games. Being able to really tell if the devs are some kind of hacks who majored in game design, corporate drones looking to make quick profit, or guys who are into Veeky Forums hobbies. There's just something about the aura of the game that's immediately evident. Game designers who don't play Veeky Forums stuff may be good at knowing what a video game player wants and expects as a player - but it leads to a middle out approach to game design that can utterly fall flat on it's face. Contrasted with the designer or developer who has a toolset from a long time of GMing experience and understands that good design in everything from the story to the mechanics needs to be developed from the bottom up.

>some kind of hacks who majored in game design, corporate drones looking to make quick profit, or guys who are into Veeky Forums hobbies

What if I'm all three?

I fit the corporate descriptor least, but god damned would I like to get enough money to buy my own place

Im a city building/simulation fan and this has the open world sandbox factor and the supporting mechanics that lets me really make the fortress and mechanisms i desire. I dont really care for the narrative element, so 100%of my time in dorf fortress is in fortress mode rather than adventuring mode

I can't really answer what I like in game plots, because more than often gameplay likes to destroy every immersion that exists. I really like when the narrative is intervened with the gameplay, like you are supposed to save someone, but if you're not fast enough this person dies and the plot advances with them. Also witcher 3 must be the lost one where I felt something like weight in my decisions.

What I'm really sick of are the whole "save the world" plots and any kind of obvious good/bad decision. These are also the kind of plots I try to stay away from as a GM, because they often lack of any kind of personal relevance for the players. I find it more engaging if the BBEG is only a bad guy because of the perspective of the players and not in the eyes of practically everyone.

Frankly, I don't think there's any correlation between liking Veeky Forums things and what /v/ things you will like.
I've tried maybe 80% of games mentioned ITT so far and I haven't really liked any of them apart from Dark Souls.

My own favorite games are roguelikes, especially Demon, and Dominions 4.

I don't like most video game narratives. I'm impressed when a game actually has interesting gameplay, not when they clumsily attempt to do what movies and books do better.

Games that let you piece a story together yourself rather than dumping exposition cutscenes on you are what I like, because that's something a game does that is a strength of a game- altering the experience baed on player input.. Bloodborne does this with item descriptions and the occasional very short note. You might miss things, you might just not read some things or make connections, and as such your experience is unique.

Games that force you to interact with a story rather than being gameplay first are all basically unplayable for me.

I think this '6th sense' is just Veeky Forums feeling fine with calling 90% of everything shit, and since 90% of everything IS shit, Veeky Forums is often right when it comes to identifying worthwhile niche entertainment media.

Being Veeky Forums doesn't make you good at /v/.

Dominions 4 is not a roguelike, I should have clarified, that was a shit sentence.

It's basically a fantasy army brawler with a lot of asymmetrical tactics and strategies, with some minor 4x features.

I've been playing a lot of Warframe lately, but for the most part I tend to play older, /vr/ style games, like Doom, Diablo 1, Morrowind, etc. I also play RPGs. Used to play Path of Exile, and now i'm more focusing on Grim Dawn.

I don't know if my tastes will be shared by the rest of the people here, but I do enjoy some action shooters like "DOOM" or "Wolfenstein." Some more casual RPGs like the Witcher Series, and some of the Dragon Age Series I can dig.

>What makes a game good in the eyes of Veeky Forums?
I would say my personal taste in games is pretty different from "Veeky Forums games", though there's a bit of overlap.

Obvious Veeky Forums games are going to be based on Veeky Forums mechanics - like KoTOR and Blood Bowl - but I think generally, games that offer deep worlds and/or deep roleplaying opportunities are pretty Veeky Forums. So while Crusader Kings II, or for that matter, most grand strategies, aren't exactly Veeky Forums in mechanics or concept, they're very Veeky Forums in practice because the fun you get out of the game comes from roleplaying.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the strategy genre, and RPGs, but I'm also a huge weeb and love VNs.

Dungeons and Dragons Online is easily one of the greatest, most unique MMOs ever made, and it still gets regular content updates a decade later despite its modest playerbase.

It's definitely long in the tooth by now, there is a lot that new players would miss, but I couldn't recommend getting three to four friends playing DDO for a month enough.