How would you make an enemy made entirely out of paper challenging?

How would you make an enemy made entirely out of paper challenging?

I've already considered
>paper cuts
>paper armor
>folding into different shapes like origami
>ability to float in strong winds

My main concern is that as an enemy, it would be easy to either douse them in water or light them on fire, which I don't want to eliminate as a possibility. I just want to make the enemy formidable for the time it takes before the players can use those methods to defeat them

Have you read/watched Read or Die?

Kinda related, our last enemy was a monk in PF

What does "being made of paper" mean exactly? If he can produce and store paper, giving him the ability to dispense a flood of papers with explosive runes on them would be pretty fucking dangerous.

No, mind TL;DRing how it's relevant here?

I mean like a paper golem, I guess, although aesthetically I would describe it to my players as a to-scale, humanoid origami figure.

The main character in Read or Die is a bibliophile who works for the secret British Library and goes by the code name The Paper. She has mastery/control over paper and uses it in all sorts of ways that you could borrow.

It's a three episode anime OVA, so it won't even take that much time.

Spells.

Fucking Japs and their obsession with Britain. I blame Harry Potter.

Paper can be fireproof if you add certain chemicals to it.

Japan does that shishigami shit all the time

Light on fire

>Instead of fighting paper cuts your are now fighting a raging inferno fighting for its life

Lacquering armor made them resist water and to a lesser degree, fire.

It was also said that studded paper armor could be stronger when soaked with rainwater.

Note that said armors were made of multiple layers.

Old accounting books were used as raw material for making such armors. One could consider that a spellbook, or several, were used to make this golem, giving all kind of strange abilities that reveal themselves as one damages it and shows new layers.

>Old accounting books were used as raw material for making such armors
This golem doesn't damage your HP with each hit it lands, but your bank account. Once it reaches zero, you're written down.

Making the paper fireproof/waterproof seems like sort of a copout, but I'll keep that in the back of my mind

Didn't even consider this, thanks

I really like the idea of changing it's properties or giving it new spells to use as you chop it up, nice. Setting it on fire would basically put it in berserker mode and make it super unpredictable.

There was a villain in one episode of Jackie Chan Adventures that made of paper. He did crazy origami stuff, so he'd turn into a samurai to fight, a bird when he needed to run or into a giant spider when he just wanted to go nuts.

nice

Give him Beast Boost

Papercuts.

Papercuts everywhere.

What about their obsession with the fucking NATZEEEEEEEEEEEEES?

The words written on the paper grant paper that property.

So you could have an enemy made of paper but with HARD AS STEEL written on it, so not only are they light like paper but as hard as steel.

Some assassin going dropping pieces of paper with ROTS WHAT IT TOUCHES on them and suddenly your trash man is rotting alive.

It can unfold itself and become perfectly flat for purposes of concealment. We're talking a tiger that can crouch behind a chest that's standing up against a wall, hang onto the underside of a table, lie under a rug on the floor, or even hide between the sheets of a bed.

The threat of ambush is constant and horrifying.

How about making it consist of a LOT of paper? so that if they set it on fire it can just cut that part off of its main body and the PCs would need a lot of water to make it sodden. A fuckhuge wall of paper blades is also hella cool as a concept, and obstructing the PCs' vision with a storm of paper could make their clever plan need some improvisation.

This strikes me as less to d with the paper and papyromacy theme and more just litermancy.

Thanks, I'll have to remember these.

>that premisse

Oh that sounds neat

>It's a three episode anime OVA...

Damn. Fuck you for giving me hopes.

If it's a large enough size, I feel like you could justify having it be weak but not devastatingly weak to fire if it's made of thick layer upon layer. It takes a while for a phonebook to completely burn away, and I suppose it could fold over on itself to smother the fire.

Now i'm kind of interested in what a dungeon completely made out of paper would be like.

>Exhales highly flammable and explosive gas.
>Coated in layers of Potassium and Lithium.

Make it a phone bill or a subpoena.

It's also a light novel series and manga, iirc

Stealthy wallpaper. Hides under couches. Flat against ceilings, slips under locked doors, through closed windows.

You can give it the ability to affect those that read it, from explosive runes to deep secrets to psychologically damaging lies to lovecraftian disillusionment.

The terrifying thing about paper? It's cheap. There are many more.

Cans only really die via burning and or cutting. Bludgeon and arrows won't do shit

Setting the golem on fire wouldn't instantly destroy it unless it was very thin or hollow, instead they now have a flaming papergolem hitting them that will perhaps burn itself out in a few turns.

Water similarly becomes less effective with more paper, you instead of a much heavier and slower golem. Ever dropped a book or a stack of newspapers in water?

Paper is weak alone, but strong with many layers. A flying phonebook would be a pretty solid enemy for any human being.

There's a 26 episode anime that follows the OVA if you're desperate for more paper-fu, but it largely follows a separate cast of characters.

That bitch that wanted nagato's dick from shippuden could work

>the paper is printed in Flecktarn
>the party is operating in the German countryside
>the thing waits as a hardly distinguishable pile of camouflaged shrubbery until the party lays down to sleep, then moves in to strangle the sleeping party members that lay too far from the main group

Old allies.
Then again, Britain also used to support Japan to fuck with the other colonial empires in the Pacific.