Calling All DMs: I need help

Calling All DMs: I need help.
I have a character in my DnD 5e campaign that I can't seem to balance.
Here are her stats:
Race: Drow
Class: Warlock(Fiend) 5/Kensai(Shinobi) 4/Fighter 1 (With Tunnel Fighter from "Unearthed Arcana")
Feats: Sentinel, War Caster, Polearm Mastery
Magic Items: An Amulet that casts Darkness in a 15 foot Radius, A Sword with +2 to damage (not much use), and a magic book that used to be a 3rd level wizard, that she must spend an action to cast from, using the books's spell slots.

She was hard to balance mostly because of her tendency to kill things with a polearm from a distance, or just fireball everything to death from range. (The book is a relatively new addition).

Any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'd suggest a katana, but I hear those are underpowered in 5e

Oh, Additional helpful info:
warlock abilities are eldritch sight, devil's sight, and thirsting blade.

The player's fighting style in their own words:
>"And fighting, I typically maneuver myself in front of the party to draw agro, evaluate ranged threats, and enter stance. If there are only a few enemies, I might try hexing them and lazor away(If I do this, I can't enter defensive stance). If there are lots, I check if I can fireball."

Have you tried talking with the player?

I have. In fact, this is a common topic for us. The most recent issue has been her new Fighting Style from Unearthed Arcana: Tunnel fighter, which the player said they'd remove if deemed too OP, because it essentially allows unlimited opportunity attacks.

Oh, And you may need her stats too:
STR: 13
DEX: 17
CON: 15
INT: 13
WIS: 13
CHA: 19

kek

Either outright nerf stats, or use hard counters in your encounters

Suggestions are very welcomed.

The polearm mastery/sentinel wombo combo is one of the most retardedly powerful combos in 5E.

Unearthed Arcana and splatbooks are fine. But overuse of them is how you wind up with shit like Pun-Pun. My usual rule is only let my players use one splatbook/unearthed arcana class/race per character, two if we're using an unearthed arcana or homebrew setting al a Eberron. They're fantastic for adding fluff, but the majority of characters can really be made with core rules, one, maybe two homebrews.

How does she have 3 feats?
Is the kensai the monk kit from unearthed arcana?

Kensai is from Heroes of the Orient Book, and every character from the start gets one Feat, something I and most DMs I've met do, but not every DM does. So, she started with one Feat, and earned the other two by leveling up.

>every character from the start gets one feat
You brought this upon yourself OP. Just let your player rip through your underpowered campaign like the glorious murderhobo you allowed them to be and learn from your obvious and glaring mistake

Firstly, helmed horrors should negate most of her BS. Secondly try more open encounters without a bottleneck for her to set up, with scattered foes that attack from range.

>homebrew content
Into the trash it goes.

>asking for balance help with homebrew
>allowing Tunnel Fighter with PAM
>giving out free feats
>giving out good magic items
>not abusing the hell out of her sunlight sensitivity

Hold up, It is NOT homebrew, I just allowed a feat at the beginning. Again, not even my idea, Other DMs I've played under used the same rule.

Also, I didn't give out those magic Items per se. She used the magic item crafting rules to do it, at least for the amulet.

Heroes of the Orient is homebrew, user. Unearthed Arcana is more official content.

Kensai class is not official in any capacity. You might wish to post the relevant homebrew/dmsguild PDF section if you want anyone to know what the fuck you're on about.

Free feat is a rule that I'm personally going to start using after this campaign ends, but PAM/Sentinel is a very strong combo already. If you don't know already, though, warcaster and polearm master aren't meant to interact, so no free reaction spells.

You gave them 200+ days of downtime?
In any case, some clarification: is it an amulet of constant darkness, or just something that lets the cast/concentrate on it?

Everything I know is a lie.

I can't retcon the stuff I used from the book, but... It looked so official.
You've educated me today, user.

Just learning it wasn't an official Text.
The Amulet, when revealed, casts darkness in a 15-foot radius.

It's very, very easy to make official-looking 5e stuff. Someone on reddit made very, very nice templates, and homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/ exists too. Hell, even the official WotC-made UAs look worse than this.

Does it at least require concentration? If not, just fucking bullshit it out of existience, or force the party into situations where it'd be very undesirable to use (shadow demons, tight spaces where the whole group needs to work together, etc)
Also, ban Tunnel Fighter style, it's not at all balanced.

This has all been very enlightening, and I do believe I will be banning Tunnel fighter.
As for the Amulet, I won't detail anything in this chat in case the player is reading, but Thanks for the advice.

Judging by the PDF I found the kensai didn't contribute much to her brokenness, she might have been better off going straight fighter.

Really, Tunnel Fighter only needs to be banned on characters that have Polearm Master or Sentinel.

Yeah, Kensai has been pretty balanced, the issues arise primarily with feats/Darkness usage. The most recent level up last session showed what this Unearthed Arcana dip did, and I'm nerfing it.

is she playing the dude from Nier or something?

Force them to choose a new fighting style and offer to let them get a new feat.

Steal the magic book away.

Force close combat encounters with the character in such a way they can't escape."

Anti-magic field

Stop being a trash DM

What if you changed the third clause of Polearm Mastery to:

While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, or quarterstaff, you may use your reaction to make an attack against a creature that enters your reach.

so it's not an "opportunity attack"

throw a tarrasque at the party

What enemies will she be expected to fight? An Abjurationist wizard and a number of other creatures can very easily shut her down, but that's only if they have a reason to fight her.

Then how does she have such high stats? You get either feat or attribute bonuses at level up, not both