I'm new to 5e and, for fun, I want to write a module. Maybe even a full campaign...

I'm new to 5e and, for fun, I want to write a module. Maybe even a full campaign. It will probably never get used because I think I'm too shy to ever be a DM, but I think drawing maps and coming up with some storylines would be fun.

I was thinking for my first quest, I'd have the usual rats in the tavern cellar setup, but have the barkeep lock the door behind the adventurers and have them discover some torture dungeon / meat grinder type set up.

What are the best quests you've played / written / heard about? Looking for inspiration.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zTD2RZz6mlo&list=PLlUk42GiU2guNzWBzxn7hs8MaV7ELLCP_
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I'm new to 5e
Please consider DMing at least one official adventure before it.

If it's just for fun, why would I need to?

Practice. Trust me, it's easier to run something that is already been done than make it up. There is a looooot of stuff that comes to running a game.
Run a module before running your own and take note on how the module does it. It wont be perfect, but it's a start.

Yes, spend 50 dollars on one of our prepackaged linear bullshit railroad stories! That will teach you how to be a great DM and buy more Wizards of the Coast products which will help you play D&D the right way. Good goy....

Or download them for free off of the MEGA?

Or write an adventure yourself, like a real DM? That's what I did my first time DMing, and it went fine. Wasn't fantastic but it was fine. Sure a fucklot better than running some prepackaged bullshit.

Well I'm a shitty DM who wanted to play it safe with prepackaged bullshit as my first time running things. It works for some people, might work for OP, might not. Don't matter shit since it's free.

The Starter Set is the best place to start and you can get it for less than $15. It also comes with a set of dice, making it and even better deal with beginners.

But I already said I'd probably never run it. I mostly just want to construct a story and make maps and stuff. I have read modules and have some downloaded. I don't really have any interest in running anything.

Also, by "new", I mean I've been playing for about a year.

Have the adventurers each start on their own path to the tavern, make the tavern a cramped little affair with a bulletin board on one wall with jobs listed to produce potential quests. Exotic drinks, maybe a snail-fighting ring in one corner lit by a sconce made from a giant beetle's elytra.

Maybe the tavern's owner has a job for them, fetching booze from some dinosaur-filled valley or something. Bonus points if you throw in giants that use straight-shelled cephalopods as living javelins.

My bad.
Just write then, find a type of setting and feel you want for your adventure and work with that. That's all I got.

It that supposed to be a Tauren?

UGH THICKER

>mage business selling premium illusionary party themes, their big draw is a whodunnit dinner party
>players are told something has gone wrong and people are being hurt for real and they must enter the illusion themselves and solve the murder(s), but must do so without giving away that things are going wrong so as not to panic the guests

from there you can either play it straight, with the mage business offering to bribe the party at the conclusion if they keep quiet and don't ruin their reputation or work in some angle about a badguy lying about the danger in the illusion in order to trick the party into a vulnerable state for whatever nefarious purpose.

I was asking people specifically about their favorite quests and you derailed the whole thread.

Whoa, that's kind of awesome.

Best if you think about one of the favorite fantasy media (been it anime, movie or book) and recreate the outline of that plot to follow its storyline so you can add your own touches and characters.
Then remember to be flexible since the players will often do unexpected shit, which is part of the fun.

The best campaign I play is about super robots which pit us versus teams of raiders in searching a gigantic starship for loot. It's a lot of fun especially when we are forced to work with certain factions whom we just shoot at last session to mutually survive against other factions. Lots of backstabbing and combat. The campaign ended on a high note when we decided to retire and escape the place with our loot but not before setting off a lot of explosives as our goodbye.

>spend 50 dollars on one of our prepackaged linear bullshit railroad stories!

So what you're saying is that it's a better deal than a mainstream video game?

Yeah I guess, if you include the fact that you need to buy 100 dollars worth of books to even play that.

And ignoring the fact that there are better RPGs for cheaper.

And ignoring the fact that there are better video games for cheaper.

So basically, your post is completely pointless.

Here ya go OP.
youtube.com/watch?v=zTD2RZz6mlo&list=PLlUk42GiU2guNzWBzxn7hs8MaV7ELLCP_