Critical hits do double damage

>critical hits do double damage
Has there ever been a more random and stupid mechanic?

OKAY YEP the DICE decided that you die! Guess you're instantly dead now!

Other urls found in this thread:

gonensworld.com/crits/wimp/index.php?t=Shrapnel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So, story?
Cause you sound angry enough that I know something happened to you involving random crits.

>OKAY YEP the DICE decided that you die! Guess you're instantly dead now!

Yeah. That's how every RPG works, dipshit.

Eh, a lot of RPGs require the dice to make several unhelpful decisions before you're unceremoniously destroyed.

>Has there ever been a more random and stupid mechanic?

Yeah, it's usually called Save-or-Die.

>Your crits only do double damage

Get on my level scrub. Would anyone like to hear some of the "Grievous injuries" you can get? They're broken down by piercing, slashing, or crushing weapons, so you can specify what kind of injuries you want to hear about.

Crushing! Do crushing!

Seconding the crushing

>not Rolemaster
pssh

>Your opponent's weapon has come crashing down on your head and fractured your skull. You fall prone and are unconscious, and take 8 damage points to Endurance. If you survive, you lose 2 from Agility, 2 from Manual Dexterity, and 2 from Perception. It will take a year in bed to recover.

For perspective, a bog standard human will have a 15 in all stats. Those losses are permanent, except to endurance. A mace will, on average, do 9.5- armor DR per hit, if you're fighting people in reasonably effective metal armor, we're talking 3-4 damage per swipe.

What roll is needed to get a crit?

Sweet Jesus user, that's some bullshit. Is every few fights character creation time, or are you one of those story based campaign guys.

It's 5% of your to hit chance after all modifiers are calculated; in certain circumstances, that can rise well over 100%. But a lot of the time, if you're fighting someone of near equal skill from the front, we're talking a 60ish percent chance to hit for like 3% chance to get a grievous injury.

You can die pretty easily, yes. It's a game very much centered around ambush and counterambush, and Perception is by far your most important combat stat for that reason. Anything else gets you dead too quickly. Hell, even when you win fights, you can get your wounds infected depressingly often, and that can quite often kill you too.

You think THATS something? I've got tables for special effects on weapon crits depending on weapon type, users proficency level (calculated on number of weapon specific feats) and the roll.

20 on Hammer-Type weapons, requires at least 5 feats.

>Target is struck thorougly in it's head with a clean sweep, or if multiple heads roll d6 for each of the other heads, succeeding on each head for success above 3.
>Inflicts additional weapon damage, severs the jaw inflicting 4 Constitution damage, Save Fortutide equal to the final WEAPON damage (before effects like fire or frost damage) or be rendered unconscious. Bite attacks cannot be used from that creature until fully regenerated and recovered and a month of recouperative therapy (Double the time if the creature recovers on its own)

>Bonus: If the creature is a jelly, the jelly explodes in a ten foot radius from it's location. All creatures in range roll reflex DC 20 or be subject to one standard attack from the jelly (as it's flying apart). This kills the jelly.

Pff, that's small time.

>Your sword strikes your opponet so well that not only is his body sundered in two (inflicting instant death) but the link between his spirit and his soul is rent as well. The target therefore can never be raised and the soul is lost to the void. The spirit lingers as a cloud that can be siphoned by any spirit-drinking creature to recover lost hitpoints and constitution in accordance to it's stat block.

>When you critically strike with the crossbow you impale a small portion of the target's brain matter onto the bolt, inflicting 2d6 permanent intelligence loss to the target. The bolt becomes penetrating and can continue into the next target. If the next target is critically struck, the creature gains the first creature's lost intelligence as a permanent enhancement, but loses its own 2d6 as the bolt continues to penetrate. This effect transfers a part of the first creature's consciousness, knowledge, and one class level to the next. This effect can continue as long as it continues to critically overpenetrate targets. There is no upper or lower bound on the ability score trade.

>Using the scimitar, your weapon overextends and strikes not only the creature, but also any forces that may be watching it. If the target is a player, you may slap that player across the face a single time. If the target is a monster, slap the DM.

>jury rigged brain transplants
what the fuck
I would abuse the hell out of that

>on a critical hit u get to stab the king and fart on the princess xD

gonensworld.com/crits/wimp/index.php?t=Shrapnel

Still my favorite damage table. Click on a part, add in the damage you want from 1-15, and select the damage type.

In TF2 community we have a very sarcastic saying for this occasion.

Random crits are fair and balanced.

I like TF2 just as much as anyone else, but please try to keep /v/ out of Veeky Forums.

>Provides a deterrent against ZOMG ATTACK EVERYTHING ALWAYS
>Rarely puts a character down unless you're already wounded
>If a character goes down, they rarely die if you play the rules
>encourages teamwork and preparation (assist and healing potions)
Let me guess, you hate when any condition whatsoever prevents you from "being able to do something cuz I'm here to have fun and it's my 'right'".

But user, /v/ is shit. If I want to talk about the Elder Scrolls I'm coming to Veeky Forums.

I love it!

I'd say shit gm detected but it's clearly never gm detected

Sounds like Vietnam simulator

>Implying players don't know this

depends on the setting

Gygax specifically opposed the inclusion of critical hit mechanics in RPGs for this reason

It's fine in sp.
Cancer in multilayer

This. Rolemaster/MERP had the best crits. You never died from HP damage, you died from crits.

lol never play 40k. You'll probably burst a blood vessel.

I'd prefer if crits were just insta kills. Like a head shot.

You are all as little babies to me.

>d20 system
>crushing
>The mace comes down square on the target's head.
>The target's head explodes into 8d4 shards of sharp skull fragments which rocket into all nearby targets.
>Utilize basic standard physics equations regarding pieces exploding from a space, factoring in weather and air pressure to determine trajectory of the fragments (the target is killed instantly and is not a valid target for these attacks)
>The fragments are treated as +5 Vorpal, Keen daggers for the purposes of determining damage and effect.
>Additionally, any targets struck by the fragments must make a number of saves based on the following chart:

>An immediate Will save vs permanent insanity, DC= 15+ number of skull fragments. Targets who knew the original target receive -15 penalty to this save

>An immediate Fortitude save for every physical malady such as disease, poison, infections, curses the original target had before they were killed. DC is based on base DC to each malady.

>An immediate DC 20 Reflex save to avoid the shockwave from the inciting critical hit. This is separate from the fragments attack and, if the save is unsuccessful, will result in 5 of the 6 following effects (rolled randomly):
1: Deafened
2: Blinded (due to viscera in the eyes; additional fortitude save)
3: 15d6 damage
4: Nauseated
5: Paralysis
6: summon 2d4 Balor

Bet you didnt argue when you did double damage to that last enemy you fought....... sorry your terribly overrated pc died

>trying to stack vorpal and keen
Cuck

relax bro, people are allowed to mention a fuckin videogame without the board police showing up. As long as they don't start discussing it, its perfectly valid to relate or allegorize to it.

>summon 2d4 Balor

pic related. alternatively, consider what said and make your GM keep critical attacks for PCs only (optionally also for boss-level NPCs).

It is a simple game mechanics way of handling the random difference between "Oh, you nicked his arm" and "Oh, shit, you nicked the other side of his arm but ripped his radial artery open and he's gonna be dead from blood loss in thirty seconds."

Same with critical hits. Not all critical hits are instakills. Try playing an actual rpg instead of just complaining.

Yes, go look at Rolemaster Critical Hit tables.

Oh look, an idiot who has never played anything but "I wish I had a group to game with."

>Has there ever been a more random mechanic?
Rolling dice in the first place. If you don't like randomness, go play chess or some shit.

>Has there ever been a more random and stupid mechanic?

Rolling to see if a spell misfires and causes fruit to grow from the tip of your penis comes to mind.

>Rolling to see if a spell misfires and causes fruit to grow from the tip of your penis comes to mind.

You have my curiosity. Tell me more.

>Crits only do double damage.
Hah. You've never had to fight enemies who have x4 crits. Nothing more fair than a monster half your level dealing triple digit damage in a single hit.

>Oh look, an idiot who has never played anything but "I wish I had a group to game with."
Can you please explain how you came to answer that particular post with that phrase?
Because it seems like a non sequitur to me.

It's a thing from F.A.T.A.L. Which I'm assuming you already know about; but if you haven't you can find everything you need on the 1d4chan page and the included links. Just make sure you have an hour to kill and aren't at work/church/a child's birthday party when you do.

been gaming since 1985, DSA 1E

becasue he's pulling out "le try playing something other than D&D maymay" when there's multiple examples of other RPGs in this very thread with even more extreme critical hit rules?

It's supposed to represent a really lucky hit, like "Oh you swung and they attempted to dodge but accidently put their neck in the line of the cut"

It's the response to the picture you posted.

If you're so fuckign game-lackign you think D&D is the sole place that the crit issue comes up, then you have no business posting that image.

There are literally dozens of games with worse crit issues than D&D. Rolemaster, GURPS, Aberrant, Mutants and Masterminds are just a scant few. And they're not even d20 with one exception.

I wasn't the one who posted the first post but still thanks for explaining, I don't even know why just I decided to ignore that picture when thinking of what you were saying.

>Implying M&M has crit issues

>rolling a higher number does more damage than rolling a lower one
Has there ever been a more random and stupid mechanic?

OKAY YEP the DICE decided that you die! Guess you're instantly dead now!

You are like a small child.

Watch this.

>rock paper scissors system
>technical cutting damage
>The instrument of harm affliction severs the target on a fundamental, mechanical, interpreted and spiritual level
>As a result, the victim of such a violent display of force must perform a small number of rituals of offering, mating or surrendering equal to the number of thursdays that the character has been alive
>Following this, carve the numbers I through XII into an orange and roll it across the table
>If the victim of the onslaught fails to end the motion of the orange on any number less than eight, the player controlling that toon is instantly struck down with a projectile weapon discharged in close proximity.
>Any witnesses must also perform the rite of the orange. If they object, the challenge increases by two levels.
>On a naturally ending roll facing one, the conspirator of monstrous forces in charge of the scenario must self terminate.

If you ask me it's worse when the damage for critical hits is just "roll damage twice".

Like, congrats user, you rolled 2d8 and did 3 damage. The dice decided you expertly stubbed the enemy's toe

>implying it doesn't, what with crit range being infinitely expandable and it being cap-ignoring extra damage in a game that's already slanted towards damage

You fucking dumbass. Its not infinitely expanding, and its +5. +fucking 5.

And you shouldn't be taking crit expanders unless it really fits your character ANYWAY, you min-maxing little fuck.

>Its not infinitely expanding
You can stack it up until 2-20 are critical threats and that's all that matters.
>and its +5.
Which is enough to move Bruising off the table entirely against anything that's not pure Toughness shifted, which is already a terrible idea.

>You can stack it up until 2-20 are critical threats and that's all that matters.
What the actual fuck are you smoking?

You can take improved crit 4 times. FOUR. FUCKING. TIMES.

Do you see something saying how many ranks you can take of it? Because I sure as fuck don't.

Oh, I see, you're playing dogshit edition. I play the actually good one.

sucks

>wield practically any simple weapon
>crit
>deal 2 to 8 damage
>wouldn't kill any non-retarded player

The fuck are you on about? If I "critted" you IRL with a handaxe to the brain, you'd be dead.

perhaps, but you'd still be retarded you fucking queer

If you think double damage is bad try F.A.T.A.L's critical system. You'll be begging for double damage.

>it shouldn't be possible to kill muh special snowflake character that easily, this game SUX!
cry me a river

Or that you accidently cast a spell that ends the game.

How it works?