ROLLPLAY

Saw the thread about critical role, and I've always thought this is much better. What do you think?

Never seen it, never heard of it until that thread. Curious as to why you think its better though? CR has been a bit shaky recently so I wouldn't mind trying something else.

Well, the quality might not be as consistent, but i find it to be more watchable since there are less people and the atmosphere is more chill, at the cost of being slow sometimes. There are many campaigns in the franchise's history that all use different systems. The recent ones definitely have better production quality

>Rollplay strength
Usually 3-4 players, which is a very ideal group, especially for online stuff.

A lot more variety. Sci fi, high fantasy, low fantasy. Some modern/apocalypse one shots.

Feels more organic, pre-game chat about whatever stuff they have been doing (like gaming etc). Jokes are usually well delivered, and a hefty mix of IC and OOC jokes.

>Weakness
Sometimes the jokes can take out the seriousness of the scene. I don't think this happens too often.

Certain shows are cancelled. My favorite show was cancelled because the owner didn't want several shows running the same system (even though the style was vastly different). Cancelled shows are a huge bummer.

>Jokes are usually well delivered, and a hefty mix of IC and OOC jokes
The Jizz episode comes to mind, Geoff is the best.

Adam Koebel seems like a guy that I wouldn't get along with very well in real life, but by all accounts the man is a phenomenal GM with a lot of good advice.

Dungeon World is still a game that I think I would never be able to enjoy playing, but I'll begrudgingly admit that it looks like it works for what its trying to do.

I miss the Dark Heresy WH40K campaign that never resumed. It was hilarious.

Great variety of game systems, players and tone of campaigns. I don't like any of their old stuff, since production quality is pretty jank and the players weren't as experienced but the stuff they have now is pretty good. Right now they have a Southeast Asia inspired D&D campaign, a Blades in the Dark campaign, run by John Harper, the creator of the system, and a light-hearted sci-fi campaign that I don't follow. It really surprises me that people here don't seem to know about Rollplay, since they've had multiple games a week with several thousand viewers on Twitch for the last 4 years.

The best example of the non-serious jokes making the campaign better is the recent oneshot they did called DIE-KEA. The cast is relatively famous youtubers who also have decent followings on twitch. The GM is hilariously bad, but not in an obnoxious way. The jokes are mostly about the randomness of the system and the GM's wacky setting, so some may find it unappealing.

Did you watch the Dark Heresy campaign with Jesse and TB? I'm and if you have the least bit of interest in 40k to stand the setting it was a very fun listen.

Crendor was a big railroader, though.

Yea Dark Heresy was good, so were Swan Song and Mirrorshades. The stuff I didn't like was mostly Neil's stuff and R&D because for some reason I just can't stand Maggie. I also really want Steven to return but even if it happens, it's not gonna be soon.

Yeah, most consider it to be the main joke though, which is why I understand it may not appeal to some. Even resident GM Adam laughed at the: "you fail at making a fire" and "30 dex goblin" momemnts

Steven was my favorite GM, too.

Adam is alright in the new show, but I feel like it's trying to copy west marches.
I really don't enjoy the star wars game because it's so player wanky.

John Harper is pretty good but again, blades in the dark feels kinda easy on the players.

Neal would be a far better GM in person than he is online. Clearing up confusions would make his games a lot more fun. I still don't think he's a great GM, but he'd be alright in person.

I really don't watch it feels pretty cringy but I'm sure that's more of a thing on me

>John Harper is pretty good but again, blades in the dark feels kinda easy on the players.

Kinda off topic but I joined a blades in the dark game a few weeks ago and one of the players noted that they was a fan of watching them play that was fine and all, till two sessions in the player got *really* pissed that the gm wasn't gming in the way it was done on the show next week the game just ended.

Oddly enough I joined a new blades game and one of the players seem to really like the show too so I'm not sure how this is going to work out.

Yep, Steven seemed to fudge the results just enough and allow the team their cool moments without just handing them loot and wins. I loved the bit where they were able to bring the Servitor with them. Also all the psyker randomness.

Steven is a wacky bastard who always rolled with his players even if it clashed with his preconceptions of what the game would be.

Adam is really good but I was getting tired of his style. That's why John was such a welcome sight for me. Also Blades isn't hella deadly, but it isn't designed to be, it's designed to ware out the PCs until they can't do it anymore, which is understandably not that exciting to watch.

And yea, nothing wrong with Neal but his style just isn't good for a show. Combine that with the jankier production and the inexperienced players and those series become quite difficult to watch if you didn't catch them when they..."aired".

Yeah I agree. And blades in the dark still has a lot of interesting moments. The whole diary deal was amazing, for example.

That sounds really odd. Sorry to hear it, hope it works out better this time.

I really don't know what to make out of it like I understand that they watched someone play and pretty excited but they seem to forgot that just because they watched the person who made the game run it doesn't mean everybody else did or cares.

Has anyone here watched Lost Initiative, which features a cast of friends to the Rollplay bunch? It started with D&D and they also have a Star Wars show now.

Yeah unless your GM is John Harper I think it's unreasonable to expect the game to be too comparable to the rollplay show.

Even otherwise reasonable people can get autistic over things they like or care about. I've done it, you've done it, it happens. I wouldn't be surprised if that player eventually realizes that he was a dick and becomes pretty chill about how his game is being ran. We learn from our mistakes. And I'm starting to sound like a fortune cookie so I'll shut up. Goddamn, long trips are boring as fuck.

When this is the first thing that greets you, you know it's gonna be interesting.

Are you just starting or pointing out something funny after seeing the show already? If I tipped you off to the show then have a great time with it. Ado is best boy.

I'd probably watch it a lot more if it wasn't JP's channel and therefore had him in all of them, he's just irritating and seems like a very bad player.

>had him in all of them
He's not in all of them, a lot of the more recent series just had him working the stream and not as a player. JP does have a habit of playing full CN characters, Tudagub and Higgs are cool but the other got grating after a while. Crusher still best before voice.

Oh I guess I just got unlucky with the few I watched, might check it out again.

Loved West Marches and Swan Song. Didn't get into Mirrorshades. Need to watch Balance of Power and Blades. Loving Nebula Jazz so far.

Court of Swords has him, but BitD and Nebula Jazz doesn't.

Steven is best GM with best setting

muh fucking witcher 3 + DS + stevens wierd ass fantasy = god tier

most players where also very enjoable to watch

>i too am in the gaming industry

Two comepletely different shows, but it's a pretty good series of different games. I still think Dice, Camera, Action! is much better because of the simplicity that feels much more enjoyable to me.

CR is much better than anything they bring to the table imo.

It's okayish, i've seen much better dming, the rp is kinda subpar and the dm completely cuts off anything interesting to be honest.

There are MANY smaller streams with much better content.

Encounter Roleplay for example has stellar rping