A player decides the goal for their 5e character is to become a deity

A player decides the goal for their 5e character is to become a deity.

Is that just an unreasonable goal? What would they have to accomplish in order to achieve that?

Depends on scope of game and the specifics of your world. How do your gods work? Have mortals ever become gods before? Do other players have similarly ambitious goals?

Sexual favors for the GM.

My group's rogue wants to steal the mantle of "God of Thieves" from the deity herself, just so he can live longer with his elf waifu.

I have no idea how to even begin planning on that. Luckily they're only level 3.

It's a good goal if the player is setting themselves up for crushing dissapointment.

Kinda depends on the setting, don't it?

Doesn't 5e have a defined setting?

It's official setting is Forgotten Realms. If that's the case for OP, than there are multiple precedents of mortals becoming gods.
Look up Bane, for example.

>Hurr durr depends on the setting

Every D&D game that doesn't radically alter the rules in some way takes place in the D&D multiverse as a consequence of the implied setting aspects that result from the rule set. Stop being pedantic and answer the question.

Conquer a massive amount of land, have a powerful build and great fighting skill, be a great commander, or have a majestic beard. Kind of like Guan Yu. Violence is the easiest way to godhood because who going to deny it when they already dead.

Becoming a deity was the endgame of BECMI so it is far from unheard of.

Not everyone plays FR on 5e

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Adventure. Adventure some more. Save the world a couple times, or maybe bring it closer to an end a few times if you'r edgy. Git gud. Git gudder. Do crazy shit and be completely ignorant or apathetic of consequences or chance of failure. Become so ridiculous that you wake up one day and realise that you can count the number of reasons you can't be a god on one hand. Then start counting those reasons down.

depends on the setting :^)

It would still depend on what the DM's campaign scope is, you cunt nugget. If the plot at least goes on the planes the gods go to, and the players either go God of War or do something of very high renown, then they could become deities.

The players would have to be pretty high level and with very good magical equipment though.

Bane?

Aren't there other ways to live longer?

If he is god could they even be together?

And becoming god would actually have him outlive her.

might want to save that for the epilogue if you let them accomplish it

Doesn't matter, because regardless of what the real answer is, that 1st-level character doesn't know it. It's a fine motivation to have for a somewhat eccentric character, but the character will have no way of knowing if it's truly impossible or just vastly improbable. Neither should the player.

Many settings feature very well-known deities who were once mortals, and their legends often include their means of ascension. See: Hercules. Pathfinder's Golarion features the giant magic rock that can make people gods if they pass a trial.

It's fine if it's their character's goal. Doesn't mean they'll ever actually attain it but they may learn a great deal along the way.

Just get past Level 36 and you become a god.

I don't see a problem with impossible goals. I have the goal of being happy one day, even if it is nigh impossible.

Tell him not to go down this road man. I played a human cleric who wanted to live longer so he could serve his deity some more. Found potion of longevity and I turned into a toddler. My party pretty much became my babysitters.