I want my world to be infinite. How would you go about explaining things like sunrise and sunset in it?

I want my world to be infinite. How would you go about explaining things like sunrise and sunset in it?

Don't?

You're pretty much throwing logic out the window with an infinite world, so why not have fun with it and not worry about explanations?

Some sort of hollow earth style shape with a sun that's only light one one side

This is not infinite, this is how real life works

Multiple/infinite suns?

How does Planescape explain it?

I'm not sure if all the planes even have day/night cycles

What if your world is on the inside of a cylinder, and suns and moons just come floating through the middle on a daily basis.

>Bad guy has built a giant net to capture his own sun. Are you a bad enough dude to save the sun?

Some do, not all though. And even the ones that do tend to have stuff like giant floating lamps or spheres that dim in a set pattern or just ambient light that changes over time

Look up how the flat earth theory crazies try to explain away sunrise/sunset/timezones, it flies in the face of basic physics but so does an infinite earth so you're already not operating under those constraints. You'd need multiple suns since each only covers a certain area, but in you've already got an infinite earth then infinite hovering spotlight-suns creating day-night cycles isn't any more ridiculous.

>How would you go about explaining things like sunrise and sunset in it?
divine phenomena

The so-called "sun" and "moon" are simply illusions fabricated in everyone's mind (or placed upon them by whatever deity is responsible for the infinite plane). Could mean that everywhere is the same time, or that people far enough away might see the sun at different distances from the horizon.

The infinite plane has planet-like curvature (so if you went north for long enough, the sun would appear to reverse the direction in which it sets and from which it rises). The sun and moon are visible where the curvature of the plane would allow it, as if the plane were a normal planet from their perspective.

Because I want an explanation, even if it's going to be "the chariot of the sun god is being swallowed by the drake".

Do you really need a sun, or do you just need the world to have a day/night cycle? Because I feel it would be much easier to explain it if you didn't need a giant ball of fire in the explanation.

Maybe have an eternal, impenetrable fog or haze cover over the horizon, so it's impossible to tell if the world really is infinite or not.

Have zones and places shift, so that the world is infinite in the sense that you could become lost forever without recognizing something. Of course, over time you would naturally learn to navigate the miasma, and be able to regularly find familiar locations.

Maybe have an undetectable loop set onto an arbitrary "edge" of the world. If you walk for a year in one direction, you eventually end up where you started. The sun and the moon would have to obey this loop as well, but they would just complete the loop much faster. They never actually "set", but just one would be closer than the other and dominate the sky. Doesn't make sense scientifically, but it's magic.

Work around an impossible space. Especially if you're rolling in a fantasy setting.

Just because your world is infinite, doesn't mean it actually has to be infinite.

The world could be an infinite cylinder going forever from south to north, by being actually finite in east - west axis. This way sun could be a very local thing and other places would either be covered in darkness or have other light source.

The world is an infinite plane, (though not necessarily a plain,) with enormous holes in it, placed seemingly at random. The sun floats over the plane, occasionally falling through a hole to appear on the other side, before coming back through a different hole some time later.

In truth, the world is an infinitely sized version of pic related, with the sun falling into the holes whenever the sun god fucks up. He does this regularly enough to create a fairly reliable day-night cycle. Nobody knows what happens if he ever manages to get the sun to the goal of the game, or even where said goal might be in the world.

I would just dump sunrise and sunset completely and put in a weather system that includes clouds thick enough to block out the light of the sun creating effective night. I would also take total advantage of this to make days/nights last as long as I want them to arbitrarily.

The sky slowly lights up in the morning and darkens down in the evening.

The sky and celestial objects are all divine entities, and are not bound to the laws that apply to earthly objects and events. Everyone in the world sees the sun rise and set at the same time, at what appear to be the same relative positions, because the sky doesn't have an actual physical position defined relative to the earth.

An infinite skybox grid of sunlight/darkness scrolling past would do the trick. Just a bunch of suns careening past overhead, but spread out, and for some reason the sunlight doesn't bleed into the night portions despite the fact that the world is flat. Maybe the moon eats the sunlight or something idk

The sun is actually a giant eldritch mass of tentacles with one eye in the middle and was lit on fire to keep it at bay by the gods. At night they cap the beast, to make sure it didn't grow or anything, shear its tentacles a bit and then relight it.

Or there are two layers, with the Sun above and stripes of dark that cross the sky below it.

Infinite suns that pass overhead every 24 hours.

The sun gets eaten by the void serpent every night, simple stuff really.

Well, most of the ways I can think of are out the window, as an infinite sphere's surface is perfectly flat, so no horizon.

And a flat infinite world has no edge for the sun to crest over.

So I'm fucked for ideas as far as rising and setting go.

infinite beelines of suns

just enough distance between them to enable a day/night cycle

Wait... Maybe if everything was a series of bowl-shaped valleys with raised edges, and there was an infinite conga line of tiny suns...

>The world is an infinite plane.
>The sun and moon rise and set around the edges of that plane.
>The edges of an infinite plane work in the same way as the spire in planescape is infinitely tall, which is to say magic yo

Temporary gates to the elemental plane of fire open in the sky on a fairly regular schedule. In some places, these gates open every 12 hours and remain open for 12 hours. In other places, they only remain open for 3 hours and open every 50 hours.

Moons are gigantic crystals that glow with a dim light, but only when it's dark, and only if they've been in the presence of a sun recently.

Admittedly, that doesn't get you sunrises and sunsets, because that shit doesn't make sense on an infinite world without extreme handwaving, but this is the solution I used.

I can understand the need for leaving yourself space, but do you really need an infinite amount?

Just a ringworld would give you a mind boggling amount of room.

(note the 1:1 replica of the earth map in pic related)

Sky glows, grows dim, goes dark.

Some don't, being perpetual X, where X is any time of the day or night, others have weird shit like the Orb of Day and Night which is a ball on a mountain of the topmost plane in Arcadia that shines simultaneously on the other 2 planes (unless the third plane was the one that fell into mechanus)

Then there's Sigil, where the "sky" just glows or doesn't irregularly and the inhabitants just refer to whether it's "peak" (as in, maximally light) or "anti-peak" (maximally dark) in a way that's never seemed that sensible and likely to leave cagers with a wrecked sleep schedule, to the point where you'd think the Frat boys of Order would have convinced everyone to keeping Regulus Central Time or something but whatever.

The most appealing thing about the infinite world is that everything is possible.
Anything.
Earth is so big, but once you spend enough time on google maps you just kinda seen it all.

I'm not sure you're grasping the amount of area implied when he references "Ringworld" user, shit's pretty big yo.

ITT: People who don't understand infinity.

You can't really explain it with suns, my dude. Maybe no sunrise or sunset. Maybe windspeed causes light. Maybe everything is luminescent. Maybe the earth is luminescent like the sun, very bright, and everything is lit from underneath.

Quick calculation says Ringworld is about 3.000.000 times the surface area of Earth.

The world is shaped like a infinitely long tube, and everything exists on the interior surface, the walls are infinitely thick, the interior radius is approximately the same as earth's orbit.

Suns drip from the (unreachable) top of the tunnel and fall eternally to the (unreachable) bottom. You have sunrise as a new sun starts to fall past you, daytime as it is overhead, sunfall as it dissapear, and night as you wait for a new sun.

Happy? Call the "suns" the "tears/blood of settinggod" if you want.

Big shiny thing on top of a miles tall stone pillar.

It lights up and warms the surrounding area.

Close to the pillar it's a baked, bright and arid wasteland. Far off its a frigid icy wasteland that gets progressively dimmer until you reach the outer darkness of the Night Land.

There are across the ice of the Night Land other pillars with suns on them.

Worryingly there are broken pillars out there with no suns and the ruins of once great realms about them now home to nothing but the howling of the cold wind.

Go full greek. Have a god do it

>Flat Earth Society's model states the Sun is directly overhead like a spotlight and does not "set"
>instead it rotates over the Earth Pizza
>Somehow the Sun is not visible from any point on the world at all times.

Your world is infinite Klein Bottle. Sun hovers over surface at near speed of sound. Sunset is basically just sun getting far enough that you can't see it anymore.

Infinite conga line that goes sun, moon, sun, moon, etc.

the chariot of the sun god is being swallowed by the she-drake who has a vore fetish

there you go

4d curvature and an infinite number of suns.