Is it possible to create a fantasy setting based on slavic mythology and that is NOT dark fantasy?

Is it possible to create a fantasy setting based on slavic mythology and that is NOT dark fantasy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uPyewP5FZWM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't think so. Slavic mythology is just too metal for a noblebright setting.

Perhaps not noblebright, but you can easily make it more like a lighthearted fairytale

why would you want to do it wrong?

Have you all never seen slavic mythology outside of muh Witcher?
Slavic mythology lends itself naturally to ligh-hearted fantasy. It's full of wacky characters, talking animals and female heroes, and pure evil does not exist save for a couple of stock villains (some of which are even used comically).

Well that's what I said, basically a fairytale, but not really an epic saga.

What about Ruslan and Ludmila?

I think it's still pretty reminiscent of a fairytale in its themes and structure. Although arguably one very fitting for Veeky Forums

why?

Honest question here: What exactly is "dark fantasy"?

Where can I learn more about Slavic myth?

From your Babushka You have one, right?

Witcher itself isn't that fucking dark.

It's literally like Shrek.

Book of Veles, although it's largely considered to be inauthentic.

Well, here's your answer. The Witcher is as dark as an interpretation of Slavic mythology could possibly get. It's not dark at all in all honesty.

Gloomy, despair, dread.
Horror elements possible.
A difficult road if you want anything good done and an easy, slippery vice ridden fall that tempts people into taking the selfish bad path.

I guess.

only cucks think the book of Veles is inauthentic because they're offended by Slavic ethno-nationalism.

Or, you know, professional linguists who found traces of modern Russian in the book's text...

>professional linguists

that's what i said

cucks

/pol/ is over there mate

Listen to these guys. Slavic myth lends itself quite easily to goofy characters, bright colors, and buoyant simplicity. All the tropes of classic fairy tales from your childhood will work exceptionally well in a medieval Russian (i.e. Kievan Rus) setting. If you want some ideas, just read some children's stories or watch some old Soviet films like Morozko.

I don't think it's the Witcher. My perception of Slavic mythology was forever tainted by Quest for Glory IV
>this is how I imagine slavic mythology

Your cuck shed is over there, Sven.

>I choose to be an ignorant retard
Well, good for you, I guess.

>light-hearted fantasy
>female heroes

What did he mean by this?

Girly fantasy centred around romance and magic shenanigans.

>le "anyone who isn't in STEM or a trade is a libcuck" meme

here's a (You) in lieu of any other justification of your pathetic existence

It's got more than its fair share of female protagonists who often go rescuing hapless lads in distress. And that was a thousand years before the advent of PC.

May favourite slavic dark fantasy
youtube.com/watch?v=uPyewP5FZWM

A girl saving her future husband from a curse or spell that stole his mind is one the classical tropes in Slavic tales. Or a mother saving her children from some monster who stole them while her husband was away.

In the first case girl will win mostly through kindness, being smart and mental and physical resolve. After curse is broken man goes to make short work out of monsters and villains with a sword and they marry after that.

In case of the mother physical confrontation is possible too. It's a bad idea to steal children. Really bad.

>Jack Frost
>dark
Dude... It's a Christmas movie in my country.

I thought Czechs understand sarcasm

What about a slavic grim dark, brutally metallic, post-modern setting?

>post-modern
Stop.
If you want grim metal setting ditch fairytale and go with manly russian epic - bylina
>Kievan Rus superheroes soloing invading pagan armies

He just looks so pissed off that he isn't worshipped in the highlands like the other gods

Or how they fight monsters for days over a river until it starts to run red with blood of both the hero and monster.

Oh yeah, because some random fucking retard on Veeky Forums knows better than people that spend years studying that shit.

It really grinds my gears when Burgers think we're all emo edgelords

Our stories are pretty upbeat

In the mind of the slav there's lots of bullshit in the world, but if you have half a brain then you can avoid or overcome it.

All around there is wonder and beauty.

Is Slavic mythology even a real thing? I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that pretty much all Slavic mythology is lost to history - the tales that "count" nowadays as Slavic mythology are the Christianized garbage left behind, with most of the pagan elements removed.

Finnish mythology is conjectured from a bunch of folk songs collected in Karelia, yet nobody's complaining.

You could say that about every European mythology except Greek and Roman

Is Norse mythology even a real thing? I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that pretty much all Norse mythology is lost to history - the tales that "count" nowadays as Norse mythology are the Christianized garbage left behind, with most of the pagan elements removed.

With Norse and Germanic mythology, we have shit like carved stones and engravings on metal objects.

The Slavs did none of those things, or at least, if they did, they did that on objects that didn't last through time. At least, that's what I understand.

Don't forget we think your woman are all whores

Which stone had the Edda carved into it? Pretty sure it was written by christian priests.

Are you fucking stupid? You can look up Christian retellings of Scandinavian, Celtic or Germanic myths, and then see whether the parts correspond with art of those cultures.

This way you can check and see which elements of an mythology certainly have pagan roots.

If there however is no physical evidence of the original myths, you're fucked.

There are descriptions of Slavic myths by Christian monks though...

>slavic mythology and that is NOT dark fantasy?
Its not. Slavs are not white.

That was an Irish legend though, wasn't it? I'm sure it was.

Personally I think the thing that corrupted the perception of Slavic mythology more than the Witcher is those horrible "Russian mythology is GRIMDARK >:|" greentexts that were all the rage back in the 2011s.

We had a pretty good thread about a setting centered around the not!Black Sea

I've never seen them, do you have any saved?

I blame the western media's insistence that everywhere east of Germany is a cold gloomy post-commie shithole full of whores, gangsters, junkies, and dictators that whine about whatever evil empire oppressed is the longest

Combine with forest and bear and you get the CRAWWWWWLIIIIIING depiction of Slavs

Just cuz we don't smile like retards constantly doesn't mean we're incapable of being jolly

It's honestly not that bad, it's just what's filtered to us is pretty dark.

Think about greco-roman mythology. They basically had the mindset that the world was shit, and the gods were basically giant assholes that filled the world with suck, especially so if you didn't appease them.

Also we know next to nothing about slavic mythology

The problem is that monks aren't reliable preservers. They altered myths to fit their christian views.

That's why almost all in-depth mythological retrospection is done on Greek/Roman or Hindu myth. Untainted by Christians.

Maybe you should stop giving the evil Western media (not gonna argue against this particular point, mind you) reasons to depict your country as a post-commie shithole. Because you sound like a typical dindu.

Reminds me of how the Japanese view christian and medieval legends as the edgiest thing ever

Didn't call them evil, just ignorant

You sound like a UK Pole to me
>Poland is rich, prosperous, glorious, much better than this shithole! What I'm doing here? Well, uh...

He's right you know.
Britain is good for making money, but Poland is better for actually living. They make money, go back to Poland and buy a house twice the size of yours for half the money.
Laugh at it all you want, I don't give a shit.